• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
They literally used her as an insult. Didn't know that was a common image people had of her. Who made this show.
It was more common in the earlier part of her career when her songs bounced between "we're together" and "we're broken up" and people i knew used them as such to denote their relationships. It's a very old and very played out joke/insult.

Even beyond the sexist aspect of it they should probably be ashamed of themselves for writing it.

andymcc

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH
It's just bad writing. The 2010 joke to reference isn't that Swift was a slut, it was that if you dated her she was going to write her next song about you.

yeah, they probably just inferred it from blank space (got a long list of ex-lovers is the literal lyric iirc)... do people still listen to that song by choice? only place i hear it now is the grocery store.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
how dare they make a taylor swift joke in 2021 that doesn't make fun of cottage core

i remember the pitchfork lady that gave lover a mixed review had to lock her account because the swifties were posting her address and private photos while telling her to kill herself
yeah, they probably just inferred it from blank space (got a long list of ex-lovers is the literal lyric iirc)... do people still listen to that song by choice? only place i hear now is the grocery store.

There's really no need to belittle and downplay the fact that she defended herself against a sexist joke.

What some of her fans did to a writer a few years ago (which is clearly wrong, if that did happen) has nothing to do with the topic of this thread.

And then asking, "Do people even listen to that song anymore?" just adds an extra layer to how you're framing this.

andymcc

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH
There's really no need to belittle and downplay the fact that she defended herself against a sexist joke.

What some of her fans did to a writer a few years ago (which is clearly wrong, if that did happen) has nothing to do with the topic of this thread.

And then asking, "Do people even listen to that song anymore?" just adds an extra layer to how you're framing this.

she has every right to call out netflix. swifties are vile on the internet, like most fandoms. i would imagine that they're probably more whipped up into taking action because she called them out directly-- all i'm pointing out. the pitchfork writer is not the only one to bear the brunt of taylor's fanbase (see: Charli XCX)-- just an observation.

i'm pointing out that the show is BOTH sexist and out of touch for referring to a song from 2014. legit everyone i know that listens to taylor swift now has embraced the cottage core shit.

Mutedpenguin

Dec 5, 2017
She has been dating the same guy for 4.5 years now...

..so it's a weird joke to make, even for a lazy/sexist writer.

WetWaffle

Oct 25, 2017
User banned (1 week): mod-whining over a series of posts. Mods are volunteer and processed reports as fast as they could.
I'm kinda amazed the mods are just letting all this misogyny/excusing of sexist shit fester in this thread.

Sho_Nuff82

Nov 14, 2017
Reminds me of that Family Guy episode where they make a cheap joke at Alisa Milano's expense, then cut to her irl going "what the hell?" Only in this case, Taylor isn't in on the joke.

In situations like this I think it'd be more appropriate for Taylor to come after the creatives first if she had legitimate beef with their writing, rather than asking Netflix to preemptively censor any pop culture references that may involve their creative partners.Would quickly become a circular firing squad.

tacocat

Alt account
Banned
Jan 17, 2020
Your example actually illustrates the point.

Men are often lauded for having lots of relationships. Usually, at worst, they are teased about it in a friendly "wink wink you sly dog" sort of way.

Women on the other hand, get to be labeled as promiscuous sluts for the exact same behavior. And I would argue for far lower thresholds of the same behavior. It's sexist and misogynist.

I understand why someone would make the "don't censor art/media" argument, but this is a low bar. We can totally push Netlflix/society in general to excise this specific type of joke from our lexicon, and the world will be no poorer for it.

Just gonna wait for that slippery slope reply now

I still dont get why we think is slut shaming. Its just talking about how many dudes Taylor Swift goes through. Where is the shaming? Like if the line came after a girl saying she just got ghosted on a tinder meetup I wouldn't think it was a line made to make the person feel ashamed about how many people she is dating. To me it is just be a forgettable sitcom one liner.

weemadarthur

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Do you know how much content, quality or garbage that Netflix actively produces? It would be a herculean task.
Your statement boils down to:
"I gave people money to make stuff but I can't possibly do the HARD WORK of not paying them a 2nd time if they make sexist trash".

You are supporting the status quo in this manner. May I ask whether you think the status quo is a good place to be, on the issue of misogyny in fiction?

AlteredBeast

Don't Watch the Tape!
Oct 27, 2017
It is a super lazy joke entirely created with the idea that Taylor Swift used to write "I'm in love" songs, followed by "I'm broken up" songs. It's a joke that was lame when it was common 5 years ago, and is even worse now that she has been in a stable relationship for years now...

Like, who are these lame writers?

RedStep

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
What if only stupid, sexist, unfunny jokes get removed? Do you think the content will be missed?

The problem is the precedent - one could say the Jenna Maroney character on 30 Rock is sexist as her primary character trait is all her failed relationships / flings (and insecurity and…). That entire show would be gone. Nobody is hiring an editor to figure it out, they would just delete it.

It's a tricky path to walk. My personal opinion is that a disclaimer like Disney+ is preferable to wiping the slate of anything that could ever offend anyone. And, of course, knock it off so you don't have to do this again.

Note: I'm talking about things on the lower / more nebulous side of the spectrum. Horrible stuff of course should be relegated to the trash bin.

Jul 10, 2020
"I gave people money to make stuff but I can't possibly do the HARD WORK of not paying them a 2nd time if they make sexist trash".

You are supporting the status quo in this manner. May I ask whether you think the status quo is a good place to be, on the issue of misogyny in fiction?

I don't support misogyny in fiction. Don't put words in my mouth.

andymcc

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH
It is a super lazy joke entirely created with the idea that Taylor Swift used to write "I'm in love" songs, followed by "I'm broken up" songs. It's a joke that was lame when it was common 5 years ago, and is even worse now that she has been in a stable relationship for years now...

Like, who are these lame writers?

people that want to make pop culture references in the most absolutely lazy way possible

I'd like to see the age and gender makeup of this show's writers...

softfocus

Oct 30, 2017
Such a lame joke. A pretty teenage girl dated a few guys, isn't that like most popular girls?
I'm not calling for whatever this like is from to be cancelled, but I'm on board telling comedic writers to do fucking better.
Netflix comedy is so bad, despite their massive budgets.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Not talking about era members specifically, but I think Kanye and Kim were really instrumental in making Taylor Swift seem like a villain to a lot of people.
Probably. And I have no idea how. Kanye has gone out of his way to antagonize Taylor for years. Him and his ex-wife are both petty assholes.

weemadarthur

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
The problem is the precedent - one could say the Jenna Maroney character on 30 Rock is sexist as her primary character trait is all her failed relationships / flings (and insecurity and…). That entire show would be gone. Nobody is hiring an editor to figure it out, they would just delete it.

It's a tricky path to walk. My personal opinion is that a disclaimer like Disney+ is preferable to wiping the slate of anything that could ever offend anyone. And, of course, knock it off so you don't have to do this again.

Note: I'm talking about things on the lower / more nebulous side of the spectrum. Horrible stuff of course should be relegated to the trash bin.
I disagree that applying critical thinking to what one purchases, as a corporation, is any sort of slippery slope that will destroy comedy.

It may improve comedy but it isn't going to get to "ever offend anyone" levels. This argument is the standard basic argument used by misogynists and racists when stuff they think is funny by virtue of being simple misogyny and racism gets the least bit of criticism.

Using the same argument doesn't put one in good company. One might consider that a bit before using the argument.

WetWaffle

Oct 25, 2017
They can't always jump on everything quickly. If no one is reporting anything, it depends on who's around/looking at the thread.

I'm sure they'll take a look eventually.
I'm sure I'm not the only person reporting posters in this thread. Not to mention this thread is currently like a beacon in Etcetera(controversial threads usually are) You'd think they would have noticed by now.

Jul 10, 2020
You are passively doing so by supporting the status quo, if fiction is currently leaning in a misogynistic way. This is education, I don't have to put words in your mouth to explain what you are doing.

What's the status quo? I know nothing about this show or it's stars. If it's men who wrote it, yeah okay fuck them. If it's women, it's not my place to tell women what they can or cannot write. It seems like the show was created by a woman, with female leads, and mostly female executive producers.

Netflix will edit out the joke, make a mia culpa, (it's already trending on Twitter thanks to Taylor's fans) and Netflix will quietly cancel the show and throw the writers under the bus.

I'm not defending "the joke". I'm throwing the creative team under the "fuck this" bus.

Jindrax

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
First of all could someone explain why exactly is it considered sexist? Just because Taylor Swift is a woman? Or because it was targeted at a girl? I don't follow.

And more on topic. It's a show about edgy teanage girls ... Who make edgy jokes... I don't get the outrage...

weemadarthur

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
What's the status quo? I know nothing about this show or it's stars. If it's men who wrote it, yeah okay fuck them. If it's women, it's not my place to tell women what they can or cannot write. It seems like the show was created by a woman, with female leads, and mostly female executive producers.

Netflix will edit out the joke, make a mia culpa, (it's already trending on Twitter thanks to Taylor's fans) and Netflix will quietly cancel the show and throw the writers under the bus.
The status quo of all fiction?
Only 30% of movie lines are voiced by female characters.
It has been around 37 years since a woman director won at the Golden Globe awards.
i can keep going in theory but i think my point is clear.

I also know nothing about this show and its stars/writers. I haven't watched it. However, I am commenting on the commentary. Since you also haven't watched it, why are you in here complaining about taylor swift's behavior?

Women are not immune from writing sexist trash and also shouldn't be paid to do it. This is not a controversial statement.

Jul 10, 2020
I also know nothing about this show and its stars/writers. I haven't watched it. However, I am commenting on the commentary. Since you also haven't watched it, why are you in here complaining about taylor swift's behavior?

Women are not immune from writing sexist trash and also shouldn't be paid to do it. This is not a controversial statement.

I didn't say it was a controversial statement. I, in fact, agree with your statement.
I don't believe I was commenting on Taylor Swift's behavior, I believe I was suggesting that her issue is not with Netflix, but with the creatives.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
My bad, I guess I shouln't ask questions until I'm at the 42k post range. Sorry.

She did not date "a bunch of guys." She dated a normal amount of people, like anyone else would in their life. And she's being shamed for it. That is sexist.

It has been explained in this thread what makes it sexist so I don't believe your "question" was asked in good faith.

RedStep

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I disagree that applying critical thinking to what one purchases, as a corporation, is any sort of slippery slope that will destroy comedy.

It may improve comedy but it isn't going to get to "ever offend anyone" levels. This argument is the standard basic argument used by misogynists and racists when stuff they think is funny by virtue of being simple misogyny and racism gets the least bit of criticism.

Using the same argument doesn't put one in good company. One might consider that a bit before using the argument.

I did consider it, and "somebody else that I don't like might say the same thing while having completely different intentions" is not my standard for critical thinking. Rather, this is a really stupid joke on what seems to be a really stupid show, it's now in the news for being a really stupid show, so I think the job is done. I'll leave it there.

BlackGoku03

Oct 25, 2017

That's a big jump. Nothing that poster said supports misogyny in fiction. He simply said Netflix vetting their content is a huge task which is most likely why they aren't doing it.

weemadarthur

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I didn't say it was a controversial statement. I, in fact, agree with your statement.
I don't believe I was commenting on Taylor Swift's behavior, I believe I was suggesting that her issue is not with Netflix, but with the creatives.
Sure, ok. But doesn't the money source also have some responsibility to review what they paid for? Because if they get a result that doesn't gel with their own mission statement [yes this is assuming they have one], then they should not use the provider again. Or, if it DOES gel with their mission statement, they can be assumed to agree with the content.

I'm saying Netflix is a reasonable "person" to @ on twitter, basically.
That's a big jump. Nothing that poster said supports misogyny in fiction. He simply said Netflix vetting their content is a huge task which is most likely why they aren't doing it.
Not doing the huge tasks because it's too hard just perpetuates issues. Until when should it be put off?

Ragnarsson

Oct 27, 2017
Lisbon, Portugal
The misogyny in this thread is not surprising, but it sure is depressing.

Also, I have to say I have had enough of those stupid-ass slippery slopes, all those "if they side with her, where does this train stop?" takes. Taylor Swift is right to be mad at them, period. No caveats, no "b-b-but", she is in the right. Netflix should do something about it, yes. And they should also do something about other problematic content they have. (For example, I can't believe Dave Chappelle is still a thing despite being a bigot). Your desperate urge to watch problematic content matters much, much less than doing the right thing.

Jul 10, 2020

At least beyond the surface level stuff.

Stuff like this slips by more often than you think, especially if your typically hands-offs with your creatives as Netflix appears to be.

Often times big places like these are beholden to the content creators original vision, as shit as it may be.

beelulzebub

Oct 25, 2017
Executives offering input and guiding a production from its inception all the way through the edit and reshoot process is very much a thing in TV Production. Showrunners don't produce in a vacuum, they ALWAYS answer to the people producing, distributing, and bankrolling it every step of the way.

Luixfern

Oct 27, 2017
She did not date "a bunch of guys." She dated a normal amount of people, like anyone else would in their life. And she's being shamed for it. That is sexist.

It has been explained in this thread what makes it sexist so I don't believe your "question" was asked in good faith.

It's in good faith. I did a quick search and looks like she dated like 13 dudes. I don't follow her, but would see tabloid articles about her having a new man. I never thought of it as sexist in terms of shes a slut or whatever, I took it as matter of fact, she had a revolving door of boyfriends. Nothing wrong with that.

With no context from the show other than the screenshot and it just seems face value to me that "Taylor had a lot of boyfriends" but not "taylor is a slut, only men can have a lot of partners"

The joke is played out none the less.

BlackGoku03

Oct 25, 2017
Sure, ok. But doesn't the money source also have some responsibility to review what they paid for? Because if they get a result that doesn't gel with their own mission statement [yes this is assuming they have one], then they should not use the provider again. Or, if it DOES gel with their mission statement, they can be assumed to agree with the content.

I'm saying Netflix is a reasonable "person" to @ on twitter, basically.

Not doing the huge tasks because it's too hard just perpetuates issues. Until when should it be put off?
Hey, I'm not excusing them not doing the vetting. Hell, they don't produce THAT much content... Youtube has it way worse and you can see how things fall through the cracks.

I just didn't like that what he said equaled support of misogyny in your mind.

At least beyond the surface level stuff.

Stuff like this slips by more often than you think, especially if your typically hands-offs with your creatives as Netflix appears to be.

Often times big places like these are beholden to the content creators original vision, as shit as it may be.

I can believe that. There's been plenty of examples of media that got stuff pass studios and censors. Won't say its very common though.

Executives offering input and guiding a production from its inception all the way through the edit and reshoot process is very much a thing in TV Production. Showrunners don't produce in a vacuum, they ALWAYS answer to the people producing, distributing, and bankrolling it every step of the way.
I certainly understand that and are aware of how showrunners answer to studios. But none of us here knows for sure how Netflix validates/vets their content for this type of stuff. And I don't think simply mentioning that means you support misogyny.