• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Dhx

Sep 27, 2019
what if it was a sexist joke told by a sexist character so the audience would understand that the character is sexist? there's absolutely no context in her tweet.

I'm also not sure of the characters and context in this particular show, but characters are sometimes imperfect or even shitty people, and that shouldn't always be seen as a reflection of the writer. What matters is if the questionable content is glorified.

Fiction shouldn't be sanitized.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Interesting. I figured the Chappelle move to strong arm his rights back was a good precedent and a win for creatives. But its an interesting time where celebs can issue 'soft threats' regarding streaming platform content.

The joke was a dumb one, but damn, she's on some 'If Netflix wants to be in the Swift business in the future after I made y'all dollars, you better find a way to make me happy'.
It's more than a "dumb joke" people have tried to slut shame her for years over the fact that she has a few failed relationships just like you know every one else does.

Its lazy, gross and stereotypes her in a very unfair way and shes had to deal with people coming at her like this her entire adult life. So I cant blame her for rightly snapping at Netflix over this.

Oct 29, 2017
User banned (1 month): defending misogynistic jokes over a series of posts
I feel like the fact that you came into the thread, ready to attack her, makes her complaint even more valid.

The joke would still be sexist slut-shaming if the writers were minorities.
I see a clip of a show with a minority lead an see millionaire white privileged swift talking down on it you're damn right I'm immediately siding with the minority until I did my research. Illl continue to side with minorities full stop at first glance. If you don't like it kick rocks bruh.

Edit: white ppl do not get the benefit of the doubt with me. They already get it every single other place in life. They will be alright.

krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn
It's more than a "dumb joke" people have tried to slut shame her for years over the fact that she has a few failed relationships just like you know every one else does.

Its lazy, gross and stereotypes her in a very unfair way and shes had to deal with people coming at her like this her entire adult life. So I cant blame her for rightly snapping at Netflix over this.
Agreed. I stand corrected and apologize.

BlackGoku03

Oct 25, 2017
Ok. I would still say that cases where someone laughs at themselves and then complain when someone else does the same joke in a meanspirited fashion aren't hypocritical because they have agency in one case and not the other.

So let's take an extreme example: FOX for instance should not be held responsible for the people they invite on their show and their statements? Netflix is producing and airing the content.
The example is very extreme. So extreme, I'm not sure it's fair to have as analogy.

NBC airs SNL and sometimes SNL has a bad joke or two. Should people complain to NBC or Lorne Michaels/writers? I would lay the blame on SNL writers first, at the very least, as they're the ones who wrote it.

Midramble

Force of Habit
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco
Do you have any exes? Is that part of your persona?

Just because she writes music based on past relationships doesn't mean that it is part of her persona. It's just that the media made it a bigger deal than it is.

I have exes. I don't have a media persona. What I'm mentioning as persona is a public facing character. Personality "interface" for the public. Her original persona was as the romantic underdog and, from what I remembered, pivoted to the "I don't care about my reputation" persona after the media drum the Kanye beef.

My cynicism comes from the fact that pop beef/drama is so heavily manufactured in today's world it's hard to discern what is sincere and what is an ad anymore.

As for the core subject, Netflix is far from immunity from criticism.

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
I see a clip of a show with a minority lead an see millionaire white privileged swift talking down on it you're damn right I'm immediately siding with the minority until I did my research. Illl continue to side with minorities full stop at first glance. If you don't like it kick rocks bruh.

You said your opinion changed when you saw that the writers were white, "bruh."

You're implying that your opinion on the sexist joke would be different if the writers were minorities. Please correct me if I'm taking what you're saying the wrong way.

Oct 25, 2017
Surely you go after the writers not Netflix itself?

Would it have been a good idea to call out the 10 writers of the show or the nameless corporation that signed off on it and might actually make changes and avoid similar jokes in future content.

what if it was a sexist joke told by a sexist character so the audience would understand that the character is sexist? there's absolutely no context in her tweet.

The "woke teen" character said it about her Mom when she was mad. The reason it's so lazy is a teen would never say that today.

SilkySm00th

Oct 31, 2017
A reminder that yes, this is the same show with the "oppression Olympics" scene

yooo wtf LoL this is fuckin hilariously bad :-D

And beyond most everything else everyone has said here that Swift joke is like.. the oldest shit ever? Like my brain is trying to tell me she even poked some kind of light hearted fun at the whole "Date a guy and then write a sad song when it doesn't work out" kind of joke on SNL fuckin... years ago?

Someone needs to tell Netflix this isn't the fuckin way with Disney+ and ABC.com and a million other streaming services coming down the pipe.

pewpewtora

Nov 23, 2017
Connecticut
I'm honestly confused, why not come for the showrunners and writers instead of netflix? I'm not saying she shouldn't be upset, I just don't understand the point of going after netflix.

Oct 25, 2017
Also, isn't one of the reasons why it's okay for people in power to be overpaid is because the buck stops with them? Why are we suddenly pretending like Netflix gets to be hands-off with respect to issues surrounding the people they pay and employ?

I'm honestly confused, why not come for the showrunners and writers instead of netflix? I'm not saying she shouldn't be upset, I just don't understand the point of going after netflix.

Netflix has more power and influence than the showrunners, and it reflects to Netflix that this isn't okay elsewhere. It's about improving the service as a whole, whereas going after the showrunners improves only a single show.

MDSVeritas

Gameplay Programmer, Sony Santa Monica
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
This is extremely cynical of me but isn't it a big part of TS's music persona having a long list of ex's? Like blankspace itself being about that? I'm also a bit wary of pop or musicians in general escalating an obscure criticism to drum up publicity.

Aside from that Netflix doesn't get held to the fire often enough for a lot of it's content so it's not worth going to bat for them.
She's pointed out in interviews that the whole point of the song Blank Space is a sort of satire on the public image others have of her. The song is meant as a sort of extreme parody of the character others have painted her to be.

In general Taylor has been pretty vocal for a while about how much she dislikes and feels hurt by the way people focus on her "going through men", or otherwise engaging in pretty gross slut-shaming around her going through a normal amount of relationships.

Her relatively recent song The Man is a pretty direct addressing of that point in fact.

Doomguy Fieri

Nov 3, 2017
User banned (2 weeks): Inappropriate joke/whataboutism that dismisses sexism as unimportant
Seth Rogan is getting into flame wars with US Senators. You can aim higher, Taylor.

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI

Even if that were the case (which it doesn't seem like), it's still a joke about a real human being being called a slut.

I'm not sure the person that the joke is about is going to think, "Well, in the context of the episode..."

They're still being called a slut either way.

mreddie

Oct 26, 2017
This show barely came out and it's already getting heat after 3-4 REALLY bad jokes and of course, pissing off Swift.

IneptEMP

Jan 14, 2019

Edit: white ppl do not get the benefit of the doubt with me. They already get it every single other place in life. They will be alright.

If you want to pick sides without doing research that's on you. Once you start voicing these misinformed takes though, you have no business taking umbrage when you deservedly get shat upon.

Kibbles

Oct 25, 2017
She's had to deal with that joke for 15 years, I don't blame her for reacting to it this way. And yeah completely sexist.

beelulzebub

Oct 25, 2017
Literally everyone benefits by cutting out sexist jokes like this by forcing creatives to put a little more effort in to actually be funny. Who actually wants shows hitting this low a bar? Everyone agrees it's a dated, unfunny joke, so why are some of y'all carrying water for it?

tacocat

Alt account
Banned
Jan 17, 2020
User Banned (5 Days): Dismissive Commentary on Sexism
So the "joke" is "What do you care? You go through men faster than Taylor Swift." I'm not sure what to think about this except it seems like a joke that would have been funnier like 10 years ago. What is the context around this dialogue in the show? I watched the documentary Taylor Swift made for Netflix and She always came off as out of touch privileged rich AF white woman. I don't think i'm going to feel bad for her for this dumb joke at her expense. As a pop culture icon who wrote a lot of songs about exes it seems kind of fair to make a joke - even a lame one - about all the exes you have gone through. My group of friends all make fun of my buddy Charlie for the same thing. Dude brings a different chick around every week. Is making lame jokes about the amount of dates our friends bring around off limits? This joke doesn't seem like its crossed any line to me.

Loud Wrong

Feb 24, 2020
They used to make the same joke about John Mayer, who I think also dated Taylor Swift. It's just laziness.

Autumn

Avenger
Apr 1, 2018
Netflix should set up a commission to go through all their shows and edit questionable content.

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
I mean it's fairly obvious they axe shows that underperform on viewership.

What underperforms means exactly is unclear. But they have so many shows and studios they invest in that the math is fairly clear to them

Actually, it's not quite that simple as their criteria. Netflix is trying to do quantity at a low cost. To continue a show on past their initial contracts means that costs tend to go up when contract renewals come around. Netflix would rather you move on to something else that they're offering than to raise the cost of what it makes to continue on an existing show.

beelulzebub

Oct 25, 2017
Also damn, this thread is a who's who of people I thought of ignoring in the past if I ever used that feature. Keep living in the past defending troglodyte sexist jokes I guess.

boxter432

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
I mean all they would have had to do was say something (still dumb but) like "you go through more men than a pop star" and it would just fly by similar to "trashing a hotel like a rock star" (instead of calling out an actual rock artist)

BreakyBoy

Oct 27, 2017
So the "joke" is "What do you care? You go through men faster than Taylor Swift." I'm not sure what to think about this except it seems like a joke that would have been funnier like 10 years ago. What is the context around this dialogue in the show? I watched the documentary Taylor Swift made for Netflix and She always came off as out of touch privileged rich AF white woman. I don't think i'm going to feel bad for her for this dumb joke at her expense. As a pop culture icon who wrote a lot of songs about exes it seems kind of fair to make a joke - even a lame one - about all the exes you have gone through. My group of friends all make fun of my buddy Charlie for the same thing. Dude brings a different chick around every week. Is making lame jokes about the amount of dates our friends bring around off limits? This joke doesn't seem like its crossed any line to me.

Your example actually illustrates the point.

Men are often lauded for having lots of relationships. Usually, at worst, they are teased about it in a friendly "wink wink you sly dog" sort of way.

Women on the other hand, get to be labeled as promiscuous sluts for the exact same behavior. And I would argue for far lower thresholds of the same behavior. It's sexist and misogynist.

I understand why someone would make the "don't censor art/media" argument, but this is a low bar. We can totally push Netlflix/society in general to excise this specific type of joke from our lexicon, and the world will be no poorer for it.

Just gonna wait for that slippery slope reply now

Schreckstoff

Oct 25, 2017
Good on Swift for calling it out, she got the power to defend herself.
someone with a huge following siccing their followers onto an individual, deservedly or not, can easily backfire. Netflix has to vet the content that they fund and netflix can make greater changes.

Oct 27, 2017
It's just bad writing. The 2010 joke to reference isn't that Swift was a slut, it was that if you dated her she was going to write her next song about you, which follows a long tradition of pop musicians alluding to high profile relationships for fans to wonder about.