• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Vector

Feb 28, 2018
TSwift went off on Netflix for featuring a show with a deeply sexist "joke"

Hey Ginny & Georgia, 2010 called and it wants its lazy, deeply sexist joke back. How about we stop degrading hard working women by defining this horse shit as FuNnY. Also, @netflix after Miss Americana this outfit doesn't look cute on you. Happy Women's History Month I guess

I guess this raises an interesting question - should Netflix be held responsible for the regressive contents of its shows?

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
They better remove half the stand up comic specials (at least) they've got on Netflix if this is what the future holds.

krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn
Interesting. I figured the Chappelle move to strong arm his rights back was a good precedent and a win for creatives. But its an interesting time where celebs can issue 'soft threats' regarding streaming platform content.

The joke was a dumb one, but damn, she's on some 'If Netflix wants to be in the Swift business in the future after I made y'all dollars, you better find a way to make me happy'.

-edit- In hindsight considering the history of em going at Swift based off her dating history, I take this back

Last edited:

Tagg

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (3 Months): Defending a misogynistic joke. Previously banned for dismissing sexual harassment and LGBTQ representation.
Talk about being over sensitive. Clearly the joke is not meant as a personal attack.

gdt

Oct 26, 2017
It's a dumb easy joke. It's also super vanilla and basic.

On the other hand, maybe me not being upset about it is a problem, as it is a completely sexist joke....

OP
OP

Vector

Feb 28, 2018
Interesting. I figured the Chappelle move to strong arm his rights back was a good precedent and a win for creatives. But its an interesting time where celebs can issue 'soft threats' regarding streaming platform content.

The joke was a dumb one, but damn, she's on some 'If Netflix wants to be in the Swift business in the future after I made y'all dollars, you better find a way to make me happy'.
If "making her happy" involves them cracking down on sexist and generally bigoted content them I'm all for making her happy.

Pixieking

Oct 25, 2017
I guess this raises an interesting question - should Netflix be held responsible for the regressive contents of its shows?

If it funds them, yes, since they're a NF production. With shows they've licensed it gets a little hazier, but I honestly don't see why not.

No? It implicitly calls her a slut, and it's got nothing to do with her brand.

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Oct 26, 2017
Netflix has a large amount of questionable content on there that they need to ditch asap. I'm surprised no one has really put them to the fire on this yet.

Jogi

Prophet of Regret
Jul 4, 2018
If you come at the queen, you best not miss - Roughly translated. haha.

Ashlette

Oct 28, 2017
I can't wait for the millionth recycled "comedy is meant to be edgy! Can't we make any jokes in 2021?!"-type arguments again...

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
If "making her happy" involves them cracking down on sexist and generally bigoted content them I'm all for making her happy.

I am curious what her stance is on the Family Guy episode she starred in that basically had this as the basis for the entire storyline. I am not at all familiar with this particular show she's taking offense with in the OP though so I don't have the full context.

Edit: Apparently it wasn't actually Swift voicing herself. Thank you to everyone who pointed that out.

Last edited:

Neutra

Oct 27, 2017
NYC
what if it was a sexist joke told by a sexist character so the audience would understand that the character is sexist? there's absolutely no context in her tweet.

Jul 10, 2020
I'm confused...

While the joke is old hat at this point - - -

Did Netflix itself make the joke? Or did the creators of the show/movie make the joke within the programming?

If it's Netflix tweeting the joke, that's on them.

But if it's some hack writer, that's on the creative team not Netflix.

Deleted member 4614

Oct 25, 2017
I'm confused...

While the joke is old hat at this point - - -

Did Netflix itself make the joke? Or did the creators of the show/movie make the joke within the programming?

If it's Netflix tweeting the joke, that's on them.

But if it's some hack writer, that's on the creative team not Netflix.

You can make a distinction between responsibility and blame here.

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
I was forced agaisnt my will to watch the Taylor Swift documentary at one point. An agonsising experience but my point is, it did make it clear that there was a long period were media tabloids basically harassed and targeted her with baseless accusations of sleeping around. It even included a montage of journalists more or less calling her a slut, in paper format and to her face, all of which seems to have had quite a serious effect on her mental health as she took a year off over it.

Talk about being over sensitive. Clearly the joke is not meant as a personal attack.

It litteraly uses her name.

SteveWinwood

Oct 25, 2017
USA USA USA
it is sexist and it is lazy

and shes definitely right about it being 2010 i havent heard that "joke" in years

my girlfriend just binged this show over the weekend and she said there are a bunch of lines that come off as some old out of touch dude trying to write for the hip young children and she put this line under that

some other example she gave was about kylie jenner and jordan (i dont know what this is referring to to be honest) and how no one has even thought about that for years now

definitely how are you doing fellow kids vibes. some of the writers on this show were just bad

Bus-TEE

Banned
Nov 20, 2017
User Banned (3 Months): Trolling about sexism, previous infractions for downplaying bigotry.
I don't know about you, but I'm feeling 22 offended by some lazy, hack joke on a Netflix show no one has ever heard of.

Jul 10, 2020
You can make a distinction between responsibility and blame here.

I think the joke sucks. It's old hat and it's lazy.

But I also think that unless it's some hard-right nazi supporting trash or transphobia, Netflix should let their creatives create, even if they create shit.

This isn't about censorship either.

They paid a creative to make something, the creative made shit, Netflix should not pay the creative anymore, and the beef should be taken with the 200 IQ individual who though this old shit would fly in 2021.

Sanka

Banned
Feb 17, 2019
They literally used her as an insult. Didn't know that was a common image people had of her. Who made this show.

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
Attacking successful young women is a very popular approach. See Spears, Lohan, Cyrus,...

RedStep

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
It's a deeply stupid, sexist, unfunny joke but hoo boy if we start a trend of celebrities getting jokes about them removed… we will have a lot less content.

Oct 25, 2017
It's a joke that stopping making sense in like 2014, the idea that a teenager today would say that is laughable.

And it's always been lame that any male songwriter can write songs about exes and breakups but it became TSwifts thing because people thought she dated too much.

Last edited:
Jul 10, 2020
I'm sure this trash-ass show will run for 12 seasons on Netflix, while "Santa Clarita Diet" died on the vine at Season 3.

I have no idea what the hell algorithm Netflix uses to make it's decisions.

At least Lucifer ran for Six Seasons thanks to Netflix.