• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Porco Rosso

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
You're right, the tempo is slow, and I think that's what's killing me. I just wish it would change it up, like, at all.

For the record, I love slow and depressing music, but this is it just not working for me. I can't help but compare it to Fiona Apple's new album, which was amazing in its diverse musicality.

I feel the same - I kind of dislike it even more every listen. I also love slow, depressing music and pop is a guilty pleasure of mine, so I thought this would be a cool chance to see a major pop artist take on a different sound that I enjoy. It just doesn't really work. It just sounds like worse versions of other stuff I'm into and every song sounds mostly the same.

I will say it was really cool of her to branch out like this though and I'm glad so many people are enjoying it. I'm clearly the minority.

airbagged_

Jan 21, 2019
Charleston, SC
I listened to the record. It's.... something. Anyway, Swifties being OUTRAGED that Pitchfork gave it an 8.0 and doxxing the reviewer is just.. woof.

Accurate tweet.

Deleted member 8166

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I listened to the record. It's.... something. Anyway, Swifties being OUTRAGED that Pitchfork gave it an 8.0 and doxxing the reviewer is just.. woof.

Accurate tweet.

the New York times gave it a 6/10 according to metacritic.
sadly this behaviour is in every "fan base" as soon as people start making one single thing their entire life, it turns to shit. you can see that also in sports team fans, supernatural fans etc.

painey

Oct 27, 2017
I think that cover goes to show that without Taylors unique vocals, the songs here are just bland. Taylor is no Phoebe Bridgers.

Vector

Feb 28, 2018
The Last Great American Dinasty didn't grab me on first listen, but after reading up on Rebekah Harkness I think the story Taylor tells here (and the parallels she draws between herself and Rebekah) is really cool. I was wondering why Dali was mentioned in the song and apparently he made a chalice for Rebekah in which her ashes were stored.

Kinda makes me curious to learn more about the history of my own house and the previous owners.

Parthenios

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
I've listened through this a few times with my wife. I don't think it's bad but it's like background music, if that makes sense? Lyrically it's way better than her last two albums but musically it's bleh. I think there's a bit of "real art is sadness, maaan" and people are confusing the bland slow sameness for depth somewhat.

I think the best track is Illicit Affairs.

MDSVeritas

Gameplay Programmer, Sony Santa Monica
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Just one single glimpse of relief
To make some sense of what you've seen

epiphany is my fave today.
epiphany has grown on me to become one of my absolute favorites of hers ever.

It's one of the few songs about trauma I've ever heard and it handles the subject matter with a lot of care and kindness and just sounds gorgeous too.

Menome

Oct 25, 2017
Decided to go back to Red onwards as I'd never clicked with that album at the time, and only paid attention to the singles afterwards.

Still feel ambivalent to Red, but 1989 really was a step-up and a good album from start to finish. Even more so with the bonus track Wonderland which is a banger of a pop-tune, regardless of who it's by.

Meows

Oct 28, 2017

Taylor Swift officially becomes the first artist in history to debut a #1 single on the Billboard Hot 100 and #1 album on the Billboard 200 simultaneously. With "cardigan" and "the 1" debuting at #1 and #4, she also becomes the first woman in history to debut two songs in the top 5 of the Hot 100 in the same week.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
It's at least a bit funny that the biggest song on this album, cardigan, essentially sounds like a Lana Del Rey b-side

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Halfway through the album and loving it. I read up on the album online and it was made in the span of three months? That's wild.

Anyway, yeah, excellent album so far. Exile and August definitely stand out to me.

KDash

Oct 25, 2017
Florida
Has anyone's album shipped yet? My "betty's garden" edition CD finished processing on the 10th and is apparently shipping soon. I ordered it on July 23rd.

I've seen some people receive theirs already. Stores all over the world have also had the CD available for a few days.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
Haven't really kept up with Folklore but this seems like something:

KDash

Oct 25, 2017
Florida
Finally got my copy of the "betty's garden" deluxe edition CD in the mail. Ordered it right after pre-orders went up on July 23rd.

r4Gq0f4.jpg

nzXERf1.jpg

SUGHQhJ.jpg

DJ7ty1s.jpg

KDash

Oct 25, 2017
Florida
Just got the Cardigan single CD with the original voice memo on it. Pretty neat.

Uw9dCXb.jpg

Also, here's a live performance of Betty.