• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

MDSVeritas

Gameplay Programmer, Sony Santa Monica
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
god the second half of Cardigan where she breaks out of the normal chorus and it becomes this emotional run-on of "I knew..." leading up to that "cause I knew EVERYTHING when I was young!" is just so fucking good.

Cardigan didn't stand out too much on the first listen but now it's one of my favorites.

Venatio

Oct 25, 2017
Sorry to be the contrarian, but this album is boring as hell. It's just not interesting at all...it's like the stereotype of what I'd expect to be playing in a Starbucks; competent, professional, but completely uninteresting.

Deleted member 925

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sorry to be the contrarian, but this album is boring as hell. It's just not interesting at all...it's like the stereotype of what I'd expect to be playing in a Starbucks; competent, professional, but completely uninteresting.

I disagree. The music is beautifully crafted, some of the best composed music released this year. The overall tempo is very slow, but it was never meant to be a typical Taylor pop album. I also think the lyric content is really striking and hits hard with the reflective themes. Far away from a stereotypical throwaway coffee shop package. You have to give Taylor a little more credit than that, she's a very good song writer.

Pikachu

Traded his Bone Marrow for Pizza
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Invisible String was a sleeper but it's top three with Seven and Cardigan now

Venatio

Oct 25, 2017
I disagree. The music is beautifully crafted, some of the best composed music released this year. The overall tempo is very slow, but it was never meant to be a typical Taylor pop album. I also think the lyric content is really striking and hits hard with the reflective themes. Far away from a stereotypical throwaway coffee shop package. You have to give Taylor a little more credit than that, she's a very good song writer.

You're right, the tempo is slow, and I think that's what's killing me. I just wish it would change it up, like, at all.

For the record, I love slow and depressing music, but this is it just not working for me. I can't help but compare it to Fiona Apple's new album, which was amazing in its diverse musicality.

Soda

Oct 26, 2017
Dunedin, New Zealand
My partner pointed something out on "mad woman" that I can't unhear. The line "Or does she mouth, 'Fuck you forever'?" sounds like "Or does she mouth-fuck you forever?" and obviously would completely change the meaning. It's clearly not what is intended, but now it sounds like this to me every time.

Justin

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, Washington
I've been cracking up all day about Fantano listening to Invisible String on his stream last night then screaming about how it's going to be played at every white girl wedding for the rest of eternity.

activepassive

Oct 28, 2017
Cincinnati, OH
Looks like the cover to a black metal album.
LESsaWR.jpg

Loud Wrong

Feb 24, 2020
My partner pointed something out on "mad woman" that I can't unhear. The line "Or does she mouth, 'Fuck you forever'?" sounds like "Or does she mouth-fuck you forever?" and obviously would completely change the meaning. It's clearly not what is intended, but now it sounds like this to me every time.
The pronunciation of "mouth" is different in those two phrases, and she's clearly saying 'mouTH'.

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
On first listen, the whole album is smooth. For me Cardigan was the one true banger, but of course I'll revisit the other tracks and check out what other people have been enjoying.

Cardigan + the music video is a serious mood. I replayed it a lot of times in one night.

totofogo

Oct 29, 2017
Chicago
Another full listen though complete and I love the album more and more.

dictionary.cambridge.org

How to pronounce MOUTH in English

How to pronounce MOUTH. How to say mouth. Listen to the audio pronunciation in the Cambridge English Dictionary. Learn more.

I agree though, the song takes on a newer, funner meaning the other way.

Well this just might be the favorite disagreement I've been in my lifetime, arguing the pronunciation of mouthfuck in a Taylor Swift surprise release album thread on resetera. Thanks 2020! For that reason, I'm going to keep it going lol.

Shockingly this is of course somehow on youtube, and imo you'd use the noun pronunciation of mouth since it's modifying the verb fuck.

Menchi

Oct 28, 2017
UK
Top 6 for me;
Illicit Affairs
This Is Me Trying
Exile
Cardigan
My Tears Ricochet
Mirrorball

Really enjoy the whole thing though. I like that isn't trying to force a pop banger, so I'm really happy with it

Solo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
This is a great album. I feel like there isn't a misstep the first 11 tracks. Definte standouts for me are Last Great, Exile, Mirrorball, and Seven.

Nothing Loud

Literally Cinderella
Oct 25, 2017
You're right, the tempo is slow, and I think that's what's killing me. I just wish it would change it up, like, at all.

For the record, I love slow and depressing music, but this is it just not working for me. I can't help but compare it to Fiona Apple's new album, which was amazing in its diverse musicality.

yeah upon first listen it appears to be pretty slow but in kind of a boring way. I wish it were more like Utada's FantĂ´me which was also very dark and somber, but each song changed up the tempo and style, so it felt very interesting and fresh for a slow, dark album.

I mean even Exile here's chorus is just the same piano chord striking each beat the entire chorus. It's just stylistically bland.

maybe I'll warm up with more listens but this is just meh

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Listened while I worked on a warmup piece of her. (Exile, Cardigan, and mirror were really good on top of a really good album). (Definitely way better than her last album :S )

Dec 2, 2017
When I listened on Friday, I wasn't sure, thought it dropped off in the middle. Now I love the whole album start to finish. It's a toss up between this and 1989 for my favourite Taylor album.

TheRightDeal

Oct 27, 2017
Still cant get enough of this album, it's a full exploration of the quieter moments of Red, which is something i've been waiting for from Taylor forever, it's so good.

Oct 31, 2017
Unknown
I'm enamored with the set of my tears ricochet, mirrorball, seven, august right now.
august around the 3:30 mark sort of reminds me a bit of the Smashing Pumpkins . I mean that in a good way.
Can't wait to see the inner forest witch's work at work after Lammas.

luca

Oct 25, 2017
My trifecfo is 'the 1,' 'exile' and 'my tears ricochet'. Can't seem to get as much into the rest of the album. Maybe 'hoax' and 'august'.

KDash

Oct 25, 2017
Florida
The official store posted a CD and vinyl (7" and 12" ) single of cardigan, with voice memos.
Don't miss this special opportunity to collect the limited edition items which also contain the original voice memo Taylor Swift sent Aaron Dessner upon receiving his instrumental tracks for what would ultimately become the song, "cardigan". Here, Taylor described her writing process, as well as sang a cappella over the original track. The songwriting memo includes alternate lyrics.
Of course, I bought it. Heh. Got the CD version.

chefbags

Oct 25, 2017
The official store posted a CD and vinyl (7" and 12" ) single of cardigan, with voice memos.

Of course, I bought it. Heh. Got the CD version.

Me too lol. Got this so I could meet the $50 + free shipping so I ordered it with the replica of the cardigan. Should be coming around the time it gets cold here in socal so itll be good timing.

Benzychenz

One Winged Slayer
Nov 1, 2017
Australia
It's a nice album but I really miss the standout tracks, it all blends together a bit.

Cruel Summer and Death by a Thousand Cuts are so great to listen to. Lover was an amazing album.

I'll give it a couple more listens and see if anything starts to grab me though.

show me your skeleton

#1 Bugsnax Fan
Oct 28, 2017
skeleton land
you can tell this is a serious album because all the tracks are in lower case.

i think it's very good it's a shame the production is so squeaky clean but i mean, comes with the territory i guess.

Solo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
the last great american dynasty is one of the best things she has ever done

Benzychenz

One Winged Slayer
Nov 1, 2017
Australia
Just gave it another listen.

the 1 and august are really great, and a couple others are okay. But yeah not grabbing me like Red, 1989, and Lover did.

Last edited:

Landy828

Oct 26, 2017
Clemson, SC

I thought it was awful too. Wife is a musician/singer, she found it boring also.

We listened to it start to finish (among other albums) on a 5 hour trip we had to make over the weekend.

Loud Wrong

Feb 24, 2020
Apple said the album set the record for most streams in a 24 hour period with 35.47 million listens. In its first 24 hours on Spotify, it was streamed 79.4 million times.

Pat_DC

Oct 27, 2017
I have been listening to this album a lot. There are a lot good tracks but what has really made it stand out for me, is certain songs evoke really clear memories of certain people or past events. I guess I'm just getting old but great album.

Deleted member 8166

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I really want to hear the 17, song that will be only on cd, vinyl and cassette. but my vinyl will arrive in November...oh well.

NHarmonic.

â–˛ Legend â–˛
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
It's a nice album but I really miss the standout tracks, it all blends together a bit.

Cruel Summer and Death by a Thousand Cuts are so great to listen to. Lover was an amazing album.

I'll give it a couple more listens and see if anything starts to grab me though.

But Lover had dogshit like "ME".

The Emperor

Oct 25, 2017

The title track Lover is my fav song from that album and Archer was great too

Reputation was awful. That has to be Taylor's worst album for me

JakeNoseIt

Catch My Drift
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
god the second half of Cardigan where she breaks out of the normal chorus and it becomes this emotional run-on of "I knew..." leading up to that "cause I knew EVERYTHING when I was young!" is just so fucking good.

Cardigan didn't stand out too much on the first listen but now it's one of my favorites.

Came to post basically this GAH