• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
Jan 2, 2018
Mad Woman is really good! And I also like a few other of the new songs, like Epiphany.

I disliked Swift's music after Red, so even though this isn't really what I want from her, it's much more my kind of music than her last few albums.

Edit: OH! Betty is exactly what I want!

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2017
Minnesota
Still picking my way through this, but holy damn "betty" belongs on Fearless but not in a teenagery way. Fantastic song.

When it comes to Taylor, I guess I really love what she does with a piano and acoustic guitar. It took some listening for me to warm up to 1989 though once I did, I was down for the next two albums. I love Lover.

Regardless, her going back to piano, acoustic, some strings, etc is a really nice surprise out of 2020. It's a bit slower and stripped down, and it's more sad than normal so far, but it has a fantastic mood to it. Lyrically some of her better work. Hoping to get some time to listen to it from start to finish at work instead of piecemeal. It'll do the music more favors.

So far I don't know where I'll put it in terms of ranking her catalogue. I think Speak Now is at the top spot with 1989 directly behind. Then it's a tossup.

xenocide

Oct 25, 2017
Vermont
Still picking my way through this, but holy damn "betty" belongs on Fearless but not in a teenagery way. Fantastic song.

When it comes to Taylor, I guess I really love what she does with a piano and acoustic guitar. It took some listening for me to warm up to 1989 though once I did, I was down for the next two albums. I love Lover.

Regardless, her going back to piano, acoustic, some strings, etc is a really nice surprise out of 2020. It's a bit slower and stripped down, and it's more sad than normal so far, but it has a fantastic mood to it. Lyrically some of her better work. Hoping to get some time to listen to it from start to finish at work instead of piecemeal. It'll do the music more favors.

So far I don't know where I'll put it in terms of ranking her catalogue. I think Speak Now is at the top spot with 1989 directly behind. Then it's a tossup.
This reminds me. I did notice she somehow managed to go back to the style of songwriting we saw on albums like Fearless, but it doesn't feel immature like it did at times in her last 3-4 albums. It's pretty impressive that she's now 30 and can still write good songs about being a teenager.

Also of note, this is the first album with songs marked Explicit on Spotify from Swift--5 of them; the 1, the last great american dynasty, mad woman, betty, and peace. I was kind of surprised by the casual swearing and thought about it and realized I'm pretty sure she made exclusively clean albums prior.

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
I saw the tweet like five minutes after it was tweeted. I don't know if people still buy music nowadays but stealth releases like this got me thinking that this isn't very considerate for people who need to plan their purchases because they buy a lot of albums/have very little money. Kinda sucks tbh

Vector

Feb 28, 2018
I saw the tweet like five minutes after it was tweeted. I don't know if people still buy music nowadays but stealth releases like this got me thinking that this isn't very considerate for people who need to plan their purchases because they buy a lot of albums/have very little money. Kinda sucks tbh
Well, those people can stream the album for free on Spotify or Youtube I guess? But yeah it's a little messed up that the deluxe versions will only be available this week.

Jan 10, 2018

Beyonces Lemonade was a stealth release. Eminems last 2 albums were stealth albums.

Welcome to the Internet grandpa.

julia crawford

Oct 27, 2017
Beyonces Lemonade was a stealth release. Eminems last 2 albums were stealth albums.

Welcome to the Internet grandpa.

The internet has nothing to do with being open about what work you're doing and when it's going public... in fact it makes it much easier to be open about how your work is going and when people can expect to be able to pay for it. The internet solves this.

TheRightDeal

Oct 27, 2017
This is her best since Red, absolutely stellar. It feels like in an alternate universe, this was the album she released after Fearless, i'm here for it.

Bucca

Oct 25, 2017

If they buy that many albums/are that low on money to buy a single stealth release album, they should probably be worrying about other things.

Orb

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
The internet has nothing to do with being open about what work you're doing and when it's going public... in fact it makes it much easier to be open about how your work is going and when people can expect to be able to pay for it. The internet solves this.
No one is entitled to artists being "open" about what they're working on.

julia crawford

Oct 27, 2017
Music has never been more accessible. You can listen to this for free on Spotify with ads.

Yeah i guess. You can make a case for people who want to buy it because they want to be more supportive, but that's another topic i guess.

No one is entitled to artists being "open" about what they're working on.

Entitlement? What? Just saying this isn't very considerate which is not very cool. Not saying anyone's entitled to anything. But it would be better to be more considerate. Dang.

Deleted member 4367

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah i guess. You can make a case for people who want to buy it because they want to be more supportive, but that's another topic i guess.

Entitlement? What? Just saying this isn't very considerate which is not very cool. Not saying anyone's entitled to anything. But it would be better to be more considerate. Dang.
Calling a sneak release inconsiderate is so damn bizarre.

May 25, 2019
London

I don't know anybody worried about being "supportive" if they're on that tight of a budget

Deleted member 925

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The crossover from folks who are into The National listening to Taylor for the first time should not sleep on the Jack Antonoff tracks. He's a really good producer in the pop/adjacent space and has worked on a lot of career defining albums for artists. Lana's Norman Fucking Rockwell and Lorde's Melodrama are some highlights.

His work here with Taylor is some of the best material on the album.

linkboy

Oct 26, 2017
Reno
The crossover from folks who are into The National listening to Taylor for the first time should not sleep on the Jack Antonoff tracks. He's a really good producer in the pop/adjacent space and has worked on a lot of career defining albums for artists. Lana's Norman Fucking Rockwell and Lorde's Melodrama are some highlights.

His work here with Taylor is some of the best material on the album.

He also worked with Taylor on 1989.

Deleted member 925

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

In certain circumstances that can work, but for most artists, it doesn't. Most artists don't have fan bases that are willing to sit there and get a constant stream of updates to the production/writing side of a project. This isn't like game development. The process can be very hit or miss. I've seen artists announce projects years out and some of the hype just dies out. A release like this benefits from the internet because people can be in the moment discussing or listening to it together. You can't do that with some hype build up bullshit for many months or years.

Charli XCX has a fan base that is very interested in her constant flow of updates. She was able to take her latest album and fill people in on the demos, the writing process, the production side... through Zoom calls and her Instagram. Her fans also are super into the production side of her music and to an extent, understand some of the process because she's so transparent about it. So what you're talking about makes it easy for her... but most artists don't benefit from that. And most artists aren't as genuine to pull it off.

I agree though that the 1 week release is kind of weird, but also realize that the production side of this is extremely limited right now. Vinyl is months out for orders and someone as big as Taylor is bound to sell a lot more than the typical 5,000 pressing most modest artists request. So this is more of a preorder than anything for a window they were probably given. COVID fucked things up.

It took me months to get an Arca vinyl that had 1,000 vinyl pressed.

He also worked with Taylor on 1989.

Oh, I'm aware. I'm a huge Jack fan. He's one of the best producers out there today and just about everything he touches is instant classic. I think people underestimated him early on for his typical Bleachers-anthem style production but he's done so much diverse music in such a short time with a huge variety of artists, it's staggering.

Last edited:

Menome

Oct 25, 2017
I get it, it was released on the 23rd which is before most people's paydays. I don't get paid until the 31st myself. If there's a one-week window for this special edition that you didn't know was coming and you've already used up this month's budget for "fun things", that sucks.

totofogo

Oct 29, 2017
Chicago

So I take it you don't like surprise parties?

Music is art, art should be expressed however the artist desires. This album was clearly a product of quarantine and isolation, and is most impactful being consumed as a whole free from the typical "roll-out" expectations from a star the size of Taylor. We are well into the steaming era, and the physical versions aren't going to sell out any time soon so dont sweat it!

What I could see as a fair complaint is her releasing so many versions of the physical and you plan to get them all, ha.

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI

This is one of the silliest takes I've seen in a while.

Dizzy Ukulele

Oct 28, 2017
I didn't like the previous two albums before. Now I m just gonna pretend they don't exist. Welcome back, Taylor. Nice to know you're not dead after all.

piratepwnsninja

Lead Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Already on my fourth listen. This is my current album of the year. Admittedly, I'm a sucker for folk music, and this is so far up my alley it has me pinned against the wall.

Odrion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Betty is Taylor Swift weaponizing her troll powers
for the LGBT community
and I'm 6000% here for it.

Rainy

Oct 25, 2017
I'm 9 tracks in and it's not really doing it for me. Admittedly not into indie/folk music too much so that's probably why. I do like a few songs here and there though. Let's see how the 2nd half of the album is.

Edit: Feel the same. The standouts for me were cardigan and betty tho.

Last edited:

Piston

Oct 25, 2017
I'm three songs in and I really, really like this. I've always liked the majority of her singles but haven't had an album of hers fully grab me. This might change that.

skies_

Feb 28, 2018
Really like it so far, I'm usually only in for her singles but I'd listen to this album all the way through more than once

Bear

Oct 25, 2017
It's pretty chill - not many highs or lows. Lover is still my favorite album of hers.