• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

zoabs

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
May 7, 2018
Might be my bias showing, but the Antonoff-co-written songs are a pretty large step down in quality from the opening songs.
But still pretty good.

Meows

Oct 28, 2017
This is a great album that flows consistently from start to finish. Her best lyrics, gorgeous production, sweet callbacks to her earlier work. I could just imagine myself listening to this non-stop on a rainy day - it has a mood to it that feels perfect for where I'm at right now.

Deleted member 8166

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
of course the vinyl is only available on her store and the shipping to Germany is $17. damn.

But from what I listened to, it sounds awesome.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
I just bought a digital copy and a vinyl of a Taylor Swift album.

I need to check the album credits again, she must have partnered up with the wiccans because this is magical.

Deleted member 8166

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Netherlands here, and yup. $17 is insane, lol. But I'm sure this'll get a regular release and probably a colored indie store release.
I am absolutely in love with the cover for the vinyl #1. thinking about buying it still lol. maybe I'll see if it is still available next week after I got paid.

Deleted member 925

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Might be my bias showing, but the Antonoff-co-written songs are a pretty large step down in quality from the opening songs.
But still pretty good.

I felt like the Antonoff songs were some of the strongest highlights of the album. While I do like Aaron Dessner, his tracks sound like what I expect out of The National.

OP
OP
LiQuid!

LiQuid!

Oct 26, 2017
I wish the album wasn't so focused in its mood. Some of the Dessner songs, particularly in the back half, kinda mashed together on first listen. There are still some masterful songs on here, like Exile, and I really liked a couple of the Jack tracks too but I admit this might have been me grasping for hints of her pop sound in what is otherwise a pretty somber, stripped down and raw album that doesn't really have many peaks and valleys tonally

I like it. I don't know if I like it any more or less than her previous couple of albums, but it certainly seems a lot less focus tested and safe so ultimately it's more interesting if nothing else

Royalan

I can say DEI; you can't.
Oct 24, 2017
I felt like the Antonoff songs were some of the strongest highlights of the album. While I do like Aaron Dessner, his tracks sound like what I expect out of The National.

I agree. Most of the Antonoff tracks are where I'm getting the self-referential moments from the album.

Star-Lord

Oct 25, 2017
I finished it! I liked it a lot but will say that the second half is not as strong as the first half, I found peace and hoax not a great way to end the album

DitaParlo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
image.png

OMG NOW WHAAT AAAAAAAA

Jeremy

Oct 25, 2017
I finished it! I liked it a lot but will say that the second half is not as strong as the first half, I found peace and hoax not a great way to end the album

Wow, I have to say that I love "peace". It's definitely one of the most Bon Iver-esque songs though...

Strong "Please Don't Live in Fear" vibes.

Rainy

Oct 25, 2017
I usually like her poppier stuff so I'm kinda interested how I'll like the album. I've listened through the first 4 tracks and dig cardigan and exile.

Wilsongt

Oct 25, 2017
The Chicks and Taylor with the one-two punch with Kylie coming with the finisher. The gays never stood a chance.

Deleted member 925

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The more I listen to the Jack Antonoff produced tracks, the more of an Azure Ray vibe I get from them. It's a very specific sound, and while not entirely out of left field for him... it's a very subtle and welcome change to his production style with Taylor.

If people aren't familiar with Azure Ray, listen to their 2001 self titled album. It's killer.
https://open.spotify.com/album/473NAu1vpY4l1ANnx7lmJZ?si=VVYCO8OiQkK5LsrGWY8w1g

Jeremy

Oct 25, 2017
I do wonder if she stealth dropped this like this just to keep Kanye from getting another #1 album.

Rainy

Oct 25, 2017
6-7 tracks in and I don't think this album is for me but I like how it's different from her last few.

ody

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
i was already loving the album and then the second half elevates it ❤

Jeremy

Oct 25, 2017
After listening twice, my first impression is that it's solid... but probably in the middle of her catalogue for me (behind Speak Now, 1989, and Red, almost certainly)... Not a complaint, as I really like the album. Mostly gorgeous, but a bit too midtempo and samey to imagine wanting to often listen to it front to back.

Vector

Feb 28, 2018
She sounds so much like Lana on Cardigan, it was a little distracting.

But I think Taylor's lyricism in general has more vivid imagery and hits higher emotional notes.

zoabs

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
May 7, 2018
Early Favorites

1. Cardigan (Really REALLY beautiful. Probably one of my favorite songs she's ever written.)
2. Great American Dynasty (Lana Del Rey vibes)
3. August (Album needed a few more uptempo songs, but this one was great... not sure about the weird vocal effect/reverb)
4. Exile (not much to say. Great song)
5. Invisible String (Album also needed a little more guitar/country twang. This one felt like vintage Taylor Swift but more mature)

Overall I'd give it a 7/10

The first half is definitely better than the second. I agree that it got to sounding samey. Cut out 5-6 songs and you'd have a near perfect album.

I'd only put 1989 over it. And that might change on more listens.

Meows

Oct 28, 2017
Taylor has named Lana as an influence of hers and also as "the most influential artist in pop" just last year. I can hear some of that in here but only vaguely and mostly on Cardigan - you can really hear it in an earlier single of hers, Wildest Dreams.

Anyways, both this and NFR were wonderful.