• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Who would you like to have do your taxes and deal with the IRS?

• John Wick

Votes: 99 20.3%
  • Tony Stark

Votes: 55 11.3%
  • The Vogons

Votes: 17 3.5%
  • Agent 47

Votes: 34 7.0%
  • Scrooge McDuck

Votes: 140 28.7%
  • Doctor Doom

Votes: 62 12.7%
  • Thor: The Dark World

Votes: 80 16.4%

• Total voters

Axis

Dec 9, 2017
How long ago did you file?

I filed on Friday Thursday. Both of my returns got accepted but I have no idea what the timeline is on my refunds actually getting deposited.

It takes up to 21 days from the day they received it to get your money. Some people are already getting it from what's been said in here as early as last week.

Keep an eye out for yours by the end of this week, early next week if the cycle continues how it is.

BLEEN

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone pay the taxes on the extra UI $600s?

I have my 1099G but looks like I don't owe and I'm getting money back?

Thought I was going to owe $1020 give or take from the 17 $600s.

Only income is UI. In NJ taxes on it are 10%. NJ already took out 10% from the state UI.

Jun 30, 2020
Colorado
For me....I'm so confused this year. I've already submitted because I felt helpless to do otherwise but basically I get no tax return this year and I don't know why. I'm pretty sure I filled out my w4 for my new job correctly but no one from my company is willing to show me what I marked or discuss anything about my w4 or w2 with me. My new company did strange things with my w2 that I haven't seen before, but I guess I'm just going to take it.

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
It takes up to 21 days from the day they received it to get your money. Some people are already getting it from what's been said in here as early as last week.

Keep an eye out for yours by the end of this week, early next week if the cycle continues how it is.

Appreciate the response. After your response, checked my bank account and IRS is already pending payment of my federal refund for Feb 25. I don't think I've EVER gotten it that fast before and it's usually pretty darn quick. Still waiting on state but that's nothing new for me, usually takes a while for that one to show up.

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
Got my federal refund, yay!

Still waiting on my state refund since TurboTax kept screwing it up and delaying its approval, but the federal was the bigger one so the wait isn't too bad.

Finally ordered the new (much higher quality) bed sheets I've been wanting. Probably just going the save the rest until my refinance is finished and I know I don't need it for essential things like bills.

Axis

Dec 9, 2017
Appreciate the response. After your response, checked my bank account and IRS is already pending payment of my federal refund for Feb 25. I don't think I've EVER gotten it that fast before and it's usually pretty darn quick. Still waiting on state but that's nothing new for me, usually takes a while for that one to show up.

That's awesome!!

Every time I see someone say that they either got it or are getting it soon, gives me great hope that I'll be getting mine soon as well.

Zoe

Oct 25, 2017
For me....I'm so confused this year. I've already submitted because I felt helpless to do otherwise but basically I get no tax return this year and I don't know why. I'm pretty sure I filled out my w4 for my new job correctly but no one from my company is willing to show me what I marked or discuss anything about my w4 or w2 with me. My new company did strange things with my w2 that I haven't seen before, but I guess I'm just going to take it.
You can always fill out a new W-4 at any time if you suspect it's not right.

The current version of the form is supposed to be more accurate, and "accurate" means as close to zero return as possible.

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
Welp, filed today. Done and done. Not getting shit back, as usual, but it should cover some photography stuff I want to buy.

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
Filed in the 15th, got my return today. Weird part is the IRS website still says I'm just in the accepting stage.

Still waiting on state.

OP
OP
FliX

FliX

Master of the Reality Stone
Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
So question.

We did no live in CA in 2020, we moved to MI in 2019.
However for some reason my spouse got a W2 from her previous employer for 2020 (though she did not work there in 2020) totaling $668, so peanuts. But when I enter that in Tax Slayer it now tells me we owe CA $2559....
?
What could be going on here?

Pet

More helpful than the IRS
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
So question.

However for some reason my spouse got a W2 from her previous employer for 2020 (though she did not work there in 2020) totaling $668, so peanuts. But when I enter that in Tax Slayer it now tells me we owe CA $2559....
?

Recheck everything you entered?

Don't file in CA (as a resident*). I mean, hard to say without looking at your return, but if the 2020 is for something earned in 2019 and paid in 2020, then it's taxable for 2020, and if it was CA sourced, then that's probably why (tax program thinks everything in 2020 is CA sourced when only $668 of it is). Make sure to mark you're a nonresident of CA if the W-2 shows state wages.

Last edited:

Puggles

Sometimes, it's not a fart
Nov 3, 2017
So question.

?

It's probably doubling her salary. I work in RI and live in Mass and it does this every year. There is an option in Turbo Tax to change it.

OP
OP
FliX

FliX

Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit

Don't file in CA (as a resident*). I mean, hard to say without looking at your return, but if the 2020 is for something earned in 2019 and paid in 2020, then it's taxable for 2020, and if it was CA sourced, then that's probably why (tax program thinks everything in 2020 is CA sourced when only $668 of it is). Make sure to mark you're a nonresident of CA if the W-2 shows state wages.
It's probably doubling her salary. I work in RI and live in Mass and it does this every year. There is an option in Turbo Tax to change it.
Thanks both, I'll double check and probably make use of their customer support to find the right setting.

burgerdog

Oct 27, 2017
TaxAct has form 8915-E and after putting in all of my info I go from owing $4679 federal(turbo tax, 8915 not active yet) to getting $4868 federal back(taxact) Fuck I don't trust what I'm seeing. I should wait until TT gets their act together and adds 8915-E to their site and see if the numbers match.

Pet

More helpful than the IRS
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
TaxAct has form 8915-E and after putting in all of my info I go from owing $4679 federal(turbo tax, 8915 not active yet) to getting $4868 federal back(taxact) Fuck I don't trust what I'm seeing. I should wait until TT gets their act together and adds 8915-E to their site and see if the numbers match.

From 8195-E appears to, in short, deal with/waive/reduce/etc the otherwise taxable tax consequences for the unique 2020 COVID situation of certain distributions not being taxed (or having tax stretched over three years).

I'm not familiar with it at *all* so good luck.

OP
OP
FliX

FliX

Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit

FYI, turns out I had to specify that we had healthcare to avoid the penalty of not having health care.

OP
OP
FliX

FliX

Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
Oh, for CA? There shouldn't be a penalty for federal.
yea, CA.

[edit]
xzC9T3V.png

disapointed.gif....
Guess selling some investments for our down payment bit us with capital gains... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Last edited:

djplaeskool

Oct 26, 2017
Just got my federal refund, and my "Where's My Refund" filing marker never moved off of "Accepted/Received"
lol.

burgerdog

Oct 27, 2017
From 8195-E appears to, in short, deal with/waive/reduce/etc the otherwise taxable tax consequences for the unique 2020 COVID situation of certain distributions not being taxed (or having tax stretched over three years).

I'm not familiar with it at *all* so good luck.

TurboTax updated their site and added form 8915-E, it matches what taxact said I would be getting back. That's crazy.

NealMcCauley

Oct 27, 2017
Well the refund tracker finally updated for me. Should be in my account on Monday, possibly sooner going by some posts. Yay.

burgerdog

Oct 27, 2017
What are the chances that they actually lower the income threshold for round 3 of stimulus checks?

SpecX

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Taxes are done, owe Fed and State owes me so getting a lil over $2k back overall. Got a few bills to catch up on so I can kiss that money goodbye.

KillingJoke

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
My wife filled last week and is getting it by next week. I filled late Jan and is still waiting. The hell?

Critch

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
My wife filled last week and is getting it by next week. I filled late Jan and is still waiting. The hell?

Seems like a lot of people that filed it early got screwed because EVERYONE filed early. They had 3x the number of people they usually do, from 19 million last year to 56. They're supposedly doing big updates this weekend.

KillingJoke

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seems like a lot of people that filed it early got screwed because EVERYONE filed early. They had 3x the number of people they usually do, from 19 million last year to 56. They're supposedly doing big updates this weekend.

Wow, thanks for the update! I filed for my nephew who is getting in by check and afraid checks are going to be more delayed then usual.

KillingJoke

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

So i checked my bank today and my refund was there! Website still shows pending. its possible the website is way behind but deposits are still being issued.

Leunamus

May 18, 2019
If this is true then it explains a lot. I filed waaay earlier than my brother and parents and yet they've already received their refunds while I'm still waiting.
Thanks.

Deleted member 46493

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 7, 2018
My NY state refund status now says:

We received your return and it may require further review. This may result in your New York State return taking longer to process than your federal return.

Wonder what's going on 🤔 My return was one W2 and one 1099-INT lol, guess I'll have to be patient.

Long shot but anyone in NY state also get this?

Kevin360

OG Direct OP
Oct 25, 2017
Is it smart to still be waiting for this next stimulus to pass before officially filing?

Have a kid that was born Dec. 29th, 2020, and want to make sure we can get his $1400.

Oct 25, 2017
Is it smart to still be waiting for this next stimulus to pass before officially filing?

Have a kid that was born Dec. 29th, 2020, and want to make sure we can get his $1400.

If you wait fair chance you won't be able get his share until filing for 2021. Filing when it passes might not process in time for the check/deposit cycle. Also you are just delaying receiving his share of the previous stimulus payments (as tax credits)

Kevin360

OG Direct OP
Oct 25, 2017
If you wait fair chance you won't be able get his share until filing for 2021. Filing when it passes might not process in time for the check/deposit cycle. Also you are just delaying receiving his share of the previous stimulus payments (as tax credits)
Thanks for the response. Would this also impact the $300 a month child tax credit forward?

Just trying to do this in the smartest way possible!

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for the response. Would this also impact the $300 a month child tax credit forward?

Just trying to do this in the smartest way possible!

not 100 percent sure. Generally though to receive the advance payment stuff like that, the IRS needs the most up to date info, though. If they don't know your kid exists, they can't process that advance.

Emergency & I

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
California preparer here:

- We converted our 2nd bedroom to be a business office in late Feb last year.
- It was exclusively utilized as a business office.
- My service asked me to prorate the square footage (13x12) of our total and then I applied our total rental payment ($2,610) over a 10 month period (that it was used).
- Am I doing this right?

The reason that I ask is that our STATE refund went from $250 to about $1,700. Is this correct?

ChrisD

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Did mine two weeks ago. Got my refund already. But I'm seriously lost. I worked at two places in 2019. I ran the same numbers on my W-4 at both, so I was real confused why Job1 where I worked Jan~Aug made up like $400 of refund, and Job2 was something like $40. Especially considering I didn't lose that many hours (went from 30 a week to 28; no breaks at either for the most part).

2020, though.. I don't get it. Ended up getting $60 for the entire year. I make $10 an hour. My sister who works the same job, has roughly the same hours, and only makes $0.10 more than me, got $700. Our checks are real close, so it doesn't seem like my holdings are just that much smaller. By all logic, things don't make sense to me in any way. A Manager overheard me talking about it to her, and he said I should get someone to look at things and addend because it doesn't sound right. But like... I'm not paying (honestly if I ever have to pay in I'll feel like I made it lol), so I just roll with it.

Still need to go in and send a new W-4. Should have done so back in 2020. :/

Skunk

Oct 28, 2017
I have kind of a dumb situation I'd like some advice on.

For several years I owed because my income was mostly 1099.

For my 2018 taxes in 2019, I owed and I went on a payment plan with the IRS. In 2019, I got a permanent job where they withhold, though the first half of the year I was still considered a contractor until my employer "officially" brought me on full time. So I wound up owing $~1000 on my 2019 taxes and I was still on the payment plan from the 2018 taxes, so I don't think I could do it again. I opted to wait until this year to file my 2019 and 2020 taxes together, figuring I would have saved enough to pay what I owed; but of course COVID happened and I was unable to do rideshare driving as a sidegig because I didn't want to risk it. I still don't have an easy $1000 available anywhere because of this. So this year when I went to file through TurboTax I realized additionally I can no longer access my 2019 taxes that I prepared but did not file last year (you apparently can't access previous years with the online versions of TurboTax and I would have to buy the desktop application version). I went ahead and filed my 2020 taxes and I'll be getting a small return and the $600 stimulus. My plan now I guess is to use the refund/stimulus to pay the 2019 taxes.

A few questions:
1. Should I buy a desktop version of TurboTax for $80 to file them myself or maybe go to a tax professional (they are pretty simple; no house/investments/dependants/etc?
2. Have I possibly increased my audit risk by filing 2020 taxes for a refund prior to filing my 2019 taxes I owe money on?

Zoe

Oct 25, 2017
Did mine two weeks ago. Got my refund already. But I'm seriously lost. I worked at two places in 2019. I ran the same numbers on my W-4 at both, so I was real confused why Job1 where I worked Jan~Aug made up like $400 of refund, and Job2 was something like $40. Especially considering I didn't lose that many hours (went from 30 a week to 28; no breaks at either for the most part).

2020, though.. I don't get it. Ended up getting $60 for the entire year. I make $10 an hour. My sister who works the same job, has roughly the same hours, and only makes $0.10 more than me, got $700. Our checks are real close, so it doesn't seem like my holdings are just that much smaller. By all logic, things don't make sense to me in any way. A Manager overheard me talking about it to her, and he said I should get someone to look at things and addend because it doesn't sound right. But like... I'm not paying (honestly if I ever have to pay in I'll feel like I made it lol), so I just roll with it.

Still need to go in and send a new W-4. Should have done so back in 2020. :/
Don't look at the refund. If you want to compare apples to apples, you have to look at your AGI and then your total taxes due. Also, it's pointless to compare if you have any differences like in your household size or student loans.