• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Do you enjoy doing your taxes?

• Yes

Votes: 83 18.3%
  • Of course

Votes: 19 4.2%
  • It's my solumn duty

Votes: 51 11.3%
  • I don't recognize the federal government and the free state of my back yard does not collect taxes

Votes: 25 5.5%
  • Thor the Dark World

Votes: 146 32.2%
  • One does what one must

Votes: 186 41.1%
  • Ask me again on April 15, ain't no one got time for this before the deadline

Votes: 36 7.9%

• Total voters

Relix

Oct 25, 2017
Dude, that's like lightning quick. Now I'm really pissed about mine. It's been stuck on accepted since Jan. 27. Not even approved.
I was pretty damn surprised too. Like it didn't take four days and the deposit was being processed on Friday. I saw it posted yesterday. But it was a really nice surprise.

Aurizen

Oct 25, 2017
Philly
Mine got accepted on the 12th. From you guys experience how soon you think is the usual timeline on getting your refund?

Skel1ingt0n

Oct 28, 2017
Whew buddy - we owe a lot more than I expected - several thousand. I'm usually pretty close to "break even" by design; give or take like a grand. I'm not really sure what changed since last year. Same house. One kid. Same donations. Relatively same income. Same withholdings.

I even had a higher ratio of "bonuses" in my income, which by default are taxed higher on payroll which should help me out a bit... but it didn't.

Time to walk through this with my tax guy next week. Surely I'm just missing something.

Pet

More helpful than the IRS
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
Whew buddy - we owe a lot more than I expected - several thousand. I'm usually pretty close to "break even" by design; give or take like a grand. I'm not really sure what changed since last year. Same house. One kid. Same donations. Relatively same income. Same withholdings.

I even had a higher ratio of "bonuses" in my income, which by default are taxed higher on payroll which should help me out a bit... but it didn't.

Time to walk through this with my tax guy next week. Surely I'm just missing something.

Sometimes withholdings fuck up. Maybe you lost the childcare credit? Also, your state income tax deduction might be limited for itemized deductions.

Anyway, yeah, you basically should ask your tax dude why.

MechDX

Oct 25, 2017
Ok quick update....someone mentioned online that when your refund gets ready to be sent from the IRS Turbo Tax changes your billing to "paid". Just logged on to TT and it says "Thank you for your payment". Its happening?

M. Wallace

Oct 25, 2017
Midwest
Damn. Did you use the child credit? I didn't so I should have had mine by now. The website doesn't even have any info on my return. I'm stumped.. I'm debating on calling the person that did my taxes but I know I'm sure we can both guess what they'll say.

I did not but when I checked status the first few times it acted like I did because it stated if you did child credit it would take longer. The whole system seems glitchy.

MechDX

Oct 25, 2017
Damn. Did you use the child credit? I didn't so I should have had mine by now. The website doesn't even have any info on my return. I'm stumped.. I'm debating on calling the person that did my taxes but I know I'm sure we can both guess what they'll say.
Last year the IRS updated to my DD info 2 days after it actually hit my bank

torontoml

Oct 25, 2017
So I've got a few questions.

Alberta, Canada just FYI.

Just trying to decide if I should hire someone to do my taxes this year.

I have used the free turbo tax the last few years myself.

Bought a house this year, so i can claim $5k for that I believe.

I've been living with my GF since July, would it be better to claim as common law?

My current return using turbo tax is a few thousand for myself, considering this should I go to a tax consultant to try and capture anything I don't know?

Vex

Oct 25, 2017
It's crazy seeing some of you wait so long after submission. My tax returns are submitted to fed/state and my fed is usually accepted by the end of the same day (see: within the hour). My state tax returns are usually accepted in ~2days or under. Typically 24 hours.

Then I usually have a turnaround of about 3 days for my money to deposit straight into my account. Fucking done.

Wtf are y'all doing why it takes so long lol?

MechDX

Oct 25, 2017
It's crazy seeing some of you wait so long after submission. My tax returns are submitted to fed/state and my fed is usually accepted by the end of the same day (see: within the hour). My state tax returns are usually accepted in ~2days or under. Typically 24 hours.

Then I usually have a turnaround of about 3 days for my money to deposit straight into my account. Fucking done.

EITC and/or ECC

Path Act makes you wait until after Feb 15th. IRS says it helps control fake deductions for those credits

IRSGO app finally updated this morning on mine. Return will be in my bank account by Wed

Oct 25, 2017

Free file literally just put up a few missing forms. It was impossible to submit before this without going paper copy or getting tax software. The later you submit, the longer the turnaround.

Happens almost every year. I figure they're punishing the average citizen for preparing their own taxes.

Fuhgeddit

#TeamThierry
Oct 27, 2017
Did my taxes, just waiting for that money to come in. They told me the Fed and State approved already.

Woody

Mar 5, 2018
Not sure anyone can answer this but here we go: I see that for 2020 (US), there are no capital gains taxes if you make less than 40k. I live/work abroad, and let's say I claim 20k a year in wage income. Does that mean I can take up to 20k as income from capital gains? Or can I take more than that if I wanted and still pay no tax?

Deleted member 4367

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How do state tax withholdings work? We pretty much nailed our federal withholdings (got $77 back) but got $800 back from State. Any easy way to adjust this to get closer to zero? Do they just work off of what you withhold federally?

Linkura

Oct 25, 2017
How do state tax withholdings work? We pretty much nailed our federal withholdings (got $77 back) but got $800 back from State. Any easy way to adjust this to get closer to zero? Do they just work off of what you withhold federally?
There should be state forms to fill out on the internets. Give yours a try and report to your HR if you want to change them.

They are separate, though most people in most states do fine with just doing the same thing as federal.

evilpigking

Oct 25, 2017
Whelp filed with H&R online since I finally got my Tax Statement from Morgan Stanley. 380 back at Federal and owed 150 at state =(. Next year I'll probably owe at both levels since I finally used up my Long Term Capital losses carryover this year.

Vanillalite

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Each state has tax tables you should be able to find as a consumer.

Deleted member 9100

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
So robinhood won't send me a 1099 because:

I was in the red for this big investment I made and I didn't buy anything this year. How fuck am I?

Did you sell the investment or are you still holding it? You only have to report realized gains or losses on your tax return. If you didn't sell it, you have nothing to report.

Oct 27, 2017
Did you sell the investment or are you still holding it? You only have to report realized gains or losses on your tax return. If you didn't sell it, you have nothing to report.

You get potentially three forms. 1099-DIV, which is the dividends you received, and 1099-B if you sold anything. You also get 1099-INT on your brokerage account but that's probably irrelevant. I got 3 cents in interest on my brokerage account in 2019, which of course rounds down to zero.

Scarlet Death

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
I haven't done my taxes since 2015. I kind of miss it. i was good at it. I don't have a lot of opportunities anymore to do anything im good at or can be proud of

OP
OP
FliX

FliX

Master of the Reality Stone
Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
HA! if that were possible i would be <3
Far be it for me to tell you what to to do.
I'm a noise musician and a burlesque producer. Former music journalist and podcaster.

I prefer danmaku, 2D fighters, RPGs, rhythm games, and quirky puzzle games. I'm largely averse to FPS and open-world RPGs. Almost anything else goes, especially interesting and inventive titles that fly under the radar.
Sounds like there are plenty of things worth enjoying.
Remember you are under friends here and we love you.

zarnold56

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone ever dealt with the issue of putting the wrong routing number on your e-file? I don't know how I did it, but I put the routing number for the Federal Reserve in Georgia as my routing number. Everything I have read online says the deposit should get rejected and IRS will cut me a check. I just cannot get it confirmed with the IRS that happened. I called my state IRS and that refund is still processing and they cannot change the info but says it takes a day after the deposit is rejected and they will also cut a check. This is super frustrating.

OP
OP
FliX

FliX

Master of the Reality Stone
Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
Anyone ever dealt with the issue of putting the wrong routing number on your e-file? I don't know how I did it, but I put the routing number for the Federal Reserve in Georgia as my routing number. Everything I have read online says the deposit should get rejected and IRS will cut me a check. I just cannot get it confirmed with the IRS that happened. I called my state IRS and that refund is still processing and they cannot change the info but says it takes a day after the deposit is rejected and they will also cut a check. This is super frustrating.
Just let the Federal Reserve in Georgia have this one, I am sure they can put the money to good use. 😉 /s
I would also just expect it to bounce and then receive a check.

MechDX

Oct 25, 2017
Got my money this morning finally. Going to get some hookers and blow. See yall next season

Tendo

Oct 26, 2017
Filed on the 6. Accepted the same day. Still waiting for my return :( Come onnnnnn buddy!

fallingedge

Oct 25, 2017
Got my state but not my federal refund. Filed and accepted on the 19th of February.

😬💤😴

Oct 28, 2017
California
Just got them done, going to be getting over $2100.

Also I'm glad I took the thread's advice and got them done with a local CPA instead of H&R Block. They were a lot cheaper and way more thorough.