• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Do you enjoy doing your taxes?

• Yes

Votes: 83 18.3%
  • Of course

Votes: 19 4.2%
  • It's my solumn duty

Votes: 51 11.3%
  • I don't recognize the federal government and the free state of my back yard does not collect taxes

Votes: 25 5.5%
  • Thor the Dark World

Votes: 146 32.2%
  • One does what one must

Votes: 186 41.1%
  • Ask me again on April 15, ain't no one got time for this before the deadline

Votes: 36 7.9%

• Total voters

vypek

Oct 25, 2017
I am, but I don't have to file state taxes. It would be best to try to find impressions from people within your state.
Okay, thank you.
Credit Karma is free for all, but is unreliable for some situations (every year my numbers don't add up correctly when I double check with other software). The IRS offers free fillable forms, but none of that is automated -- it's little more than an online typewriter.

Most paid tax filing software has a corresponding free version available for lower-income individuals with simple taxes. The IRS has a list that will show up here sometime soon: https://www.irs.gov/filing/free-file-do-your-federal-taxes-for-free
Thanks for the link. No matter what I end up going with, I'll definitely want to double check the numbers with another service.

Feb 1, 2018
Is there an easier way to do LLC taxes online than TaxAct? Their UI is atrocious. I know TurboTax has it but it's only on the standalone version of the software

Or do I have to go back to the 90's and hire someone who uses paper and pens

SpecX

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Not looking forward to it this year. There was an error on my 2014 filing where TurboTax didn't transfer over one of the W2's to my state return. Got audited the end of last year and owe $4k which my ex is refusing to pay half of. I've paid them about half so far, but still have a ways to go.

I usually break even owing Federal and getting that plus a little extra from State, but I'm pretty sure State is going to take everything I'm owed and claim it for the 2014 balance and I'll end up owing the normal $2k to Federal.

djplaeskool

Oct 26, 2017
Is there an easier way to do LLC taxes online than TaxAct? Their UI is atrocious. I know TurboTax has it but it's only on the standalone version of the software

Or do I have to go back to the 90's and hire someone who uses paper and pens

I think H&R Block software lets you do it, but you have to get the more expensive tier of service to do it online

yumms

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
HR Block is telling me not to file taxes now, and to wait...

Congress passed new tax laws on Dec. 20, and we're updating our program. This also includes renewing tax laws that were set to expire at the end of 2019, like deductions for mortgage insurance premiums, medical expenses, tuition and fees, and incentives and credits that might impact your state return. If these apply to you, you should wait to file. We'll let you know when our program is updated.

vypek

Oct 25, 2017
Just finished filing. My taxes are so simple that it didn't take too long to do. Maybe around an hour or so. Getting back a little more than last year

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
Just finished. Got back what I expected, but still kind of wanted to try to eek out some more. Topped out my return at a predictable but acceptable number.

Oh well. My finances are now back where they should be.

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
I just got a new job, so I lost access to the digital W2 which was probably going to be ready any day now.
Now I'll have to wait for the mail which will probably take forever.

I also had a new job early last year, so I've got at least 3 W2s to fill in (1 from old job, 1 from when my new job was still contract-to-hire, and 1 from the job once I got fully hired).

Should have a sizable refund coming so the wait for the paperwork is pretty glacial.

Piston

Oct 25, 2017
Just got my W-2 from my employer and looks like I should get in the 1300-1500 range back. I just need some more info from some of my brokerages to put in. Mine are super straight forward this year because I don't have any Uber/AirBnb money to account for and I don't have to worry about state income tax in Florida.

Deleted member 11985

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Just finished mine. I used FreeTaxUSA and highly recommend it. Filing federal taxes through there is free, and my state taxes only cost $13.

Anyway, I got back $2600. I'm saving a token $100 of that to spend on myself for tax return Christmas, but unfortunately I have a neglected emergency fund and student loans to eat up the rest of it.

vypek

Oct 25, 2017
I've been doing the refund check everyday just for the sake of it and not really expecting a change. But as of today it looks like the refund was approved. I thought that it would be approved on Monday at the earliest.

Cyborg009

Oct 28, 2017
I have money instead in robinhood and I have to fill my taxes for that. Too bad my forms come in next month...

rock

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
i'm expecting to have complicated taxes this year due to lots of work travel. are the tax person "chain stores" pretty good, or should i consult my network to find a recommended person? i'm in nyc fyi, but lived in another state last year.

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
Did mine on Turbo Tax, says "Accepted by IRS"

Now I eagerly await a deposit if all went well

Nilou

Oct 25, 2017
Haven't gotten my paperwork I needed to start them yet, never filed taxes before, probably get $20 or so id assume as I only made about $2700 gross income last year from working. Doubt me living on my own matters much for filing.

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
This is my hell year. I worked for 3 different companies last year. I also have to wait a 3922 to come in for some final ESPP sales I did. Going to be a fun year in TurboTax for sure.

Wraith

Jun 28, 2018
I've been just taking mine to H&R Block for a number of years. Paying for the convenience. But my taxes aren't really that complicated, and it feels like a lot of money for <30 minutes of someone's time. And I think last year the price went up again. So this year I ordered their software, $20 on sale, state included. Will see how it goes.

Woolley

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Initially I did the return on TurboTax but something with my HSA was preventing me from filing with them for free. Ended up doing it again on Credit Karma and came to the same amounts for both Fed and State, so I just filed with them instead.
I'm ending up getting back 1,650.

Deleted member 46493

Banned
Aug 7, 2018
Just filed mine - very simple as I kept the same job and don't really own or have anything (lol). Refund amount is a little higher than my rent, so happy about that.

RPG_Fanatic

Oct 25, 2017
My tax documents usually aren't available until sometime February. Last year when I tried getting a leg up without them, some wrong values made it look like I owed hundreds of dollars. I will wait for the tax documents to be safe.

Deleted member 1478

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
So do all Americans do their own taxes (or pay an accountant to do them etc)? I've never really bothered to look into it past the stuff you might see on US TV. Very glad I don't have to touch any of that living in the UK.

djplaeskool

Oct 26, 2017
So do all Americans do their own taxes (or pay an accountant to do them etc)? I've never really bothered to look into it past the stuff you might see on US TV. Very glad I don't have to touch any of that living in the UK.

Yes. You are responsible for filing every year that you earn taxable income (either in wages, taxable withdrawals, prizes and winnings, etc). Making under a certain amount typically allows you to qualify for free filing, but you still have to go through the process of gathering the details and reporting to the government. Failing to file means you will not receive any payment due, and any owed amount will go into penalty phase and begin to accrue interest.

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
Fucking Trump and these stupid tax laws. House, child, daycare, student loans, had more money taken out for taxes, and I still owe money until I send in my bill of sale for my solar panels. But all that is going towards paying the panels off.

Oct 27, 2017
Got my W2 last week and finished it right away. Earliest I've ever done it. Getting close to 5k back. Less then last year but I increased my exemptions so I was curious how much it would drop

Maddness

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Taxes filed, done, and already getting my return back by Wed. Almost 4.5k after credits etc. I need to take out less. Gotta work on my exemptions.

SchuckyDucky

Avenger
Nov 5, 2017
I got my W-2's on Friday so I can start on them this week. Doing some rough pen and paper calculations, u think I might actually have a fairly sizeable refund. I normally try and get it to exactly zero, but I got promoted last year and forgot to change my withholdings for the new salary until mid way through the year. I think I increased the withholdings by too much as an over correction. Oh well, at least I'll be able to use it on the renovations I'll need to do to my condo before I put it on the market to get sold before I get married in May!

vypek

Oct 25, 2017
Taxes filed, done, and already getting my return back by Wed. Almost 4.5k after credits etc. I need to take out less. Gotta work on my exemptions.
Filed mine on the 14th, checked and its set to be deposited by wednesday, fast turnaround this year.
I'm also scheduled to receive it by Wednesday. I really didn't expect them to be scheduled so early. Thought it would take longer to process and expect it maybe the week or February 2

cosmickosm

Oct 26, 2017
Started running the numbers this morning through Turbo Tax. With my W2 I was set to get back close to $2k total, once I added my wife's that dropped to owning $220 to the feds and getting around $900 back from the state.

Oct 29, 2017
Filed mine last week and both federal and state have already been approved. Because of a budget surplus in OR I'll be getting a combined 1500 back, which was very nice to see. A bunch of it will go to a new bike.

Lexad

Nov 4, 2017
Should be getting about $600 back which will go towards my dis year trip in March. Smallest return in years but I also got a raise and the government treats my income a lot higher than it is because my company is paying for my grad school

Trevelyan

User requested permanent ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Wife and I just finished ours and getting back a little over 8k. Happy with that.

Mengy

Oct 25, 2017
I started mine with CreditKarma but I still need two investment 1099's in order to finish it up. They should come in a week or two.

Easystride

Oct 27, 2017
Are there any sites that allow for free filings with an HSA (form 8889)? HRBlock requires you to upgrade to deluxe.