• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Ginger Hail

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I don't know if I'm alone on this one, but I feel like I've been seeing some love for TvC on my timeline for the past day or two. Got me thinking about it again and it just washed a wave of nostalgia over me.

Gameplay is very much Vs style with a few twists. They went back to the 2v2 tag format with the second character being available for assist moves as well. The two big systems they added here were Baroque and Mega Crash. Baroque allowed you to cancel moves and extend combos at the cost of your active character's red life. A damage increase to your attacks was applied as well based on how much red life was sacrificed. Mega Crash acts much like Bursts from ArcSys games allowing you to break out of most non-Hyper moves, though here it costs 2 meters and a portion of your health. Giants were also thrown into the mix, two specific characters who would run solo but had increased health and super armor on most moves at the cost of slow movement and attack speed and no assist.

The roster is definitely somewhat of an oddity, at least for us in the West. Since the game was never intended to be released outside of Japan, there are some pretty obscure character picks. Saki and Soki are prime examples, the former being from a Japan-exclusive quiz game (tho she did cameo in MvC1) and the latter was the protagonist of the fourth Onimusha game, a franchise that never quite hit the same highs here some of Capcom's other games from the PS2 era. In addition, half of the roster is dedicated to Tatsunoko's library of heroes (and one villain), most of which wouldn't have been widely recognizable here. They did toss in Frank West for the eventual release here for a dose of western appeal. Honestly though, I think the weirder roster picks ended up being kind of fun overall.

2295496-tatsuscreeen516_screen.jpg

The game also has a certain style that I really dig. Due to running on arcade hardware based on the Wii, the models are noticeably more "blocky" than other 3D fighters from that era. I'm almost positive most of the facial animation is done via textures as well. Despite this, I think the way they stylized things and leaned into the anime aesthetic for both the shading and texture work gives it kind of a unique look. I'd honestly love to see another game try a similar artstyle for fun. The soundtrack was also pretty good and made for some fun tunes to battle to.

There's also the little touches that I loved about it. The game reports damage value on a scale of BILLIONS of points. Does it make any actual difference for gameplay? No, but it's just a really cute detail that gives the game a little bit of flair. The game also features moves that act differently based on who they're being used on. Some moves have an alternate or additional effect on robotic characters and others are modified or replaced in order to animate properly against the Giants. You can tell they put a lot of love into the game with this kind of attention to detail.

Honestly, the fact that this game released outside of Japan is still a miracle. The rights to various Tatsunoko properties can vary from territory to territory, so inking out deals that allowed these characters to appear in general was a nightmare. There were a few casualties though with the localization though. A single character (Hakushon Daimou) was cut due to negotiations not working out worldwide and music rights for the Tatsunoko characters' anime themes caused character-specific themes to be dropped (even from Capcom's cast) and replaced with new generic tracks. On the plus side, these new tracks are pretty good and 5 additional characters were added to this updated and rebalanced rerelease, so it's hard to complain with extra content and allowing the game to be released at all.

Obviously as with most fighting games, it had its heyday and doesn't get much talk now a days. It also suffered a bit from the choice of platform as the Wii wasn't particularly a hotspot for non-Smash fighting games, plus online wasn't super great either. On the flip side, there's still a small but dedicated scene playing it to this day and it still makes appearances as a side event at many tournaments.

So, what do you all think about it? Any fun memories or things you otherwise enjoy about TvC?

Oct 25, 2017
Loved the time I had with it.

Am I right in understanding that there was some chance the pizza cats could have come in at some point?

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil

twitter.com

Art-Eater ➡️⬇️↘️🐲👊 on Twitter

“Further proof that Tatsunoko vs Capcom (2008, Wii) is absolutely the best any Capcom Fighter has ever looked in 3D. https://t.co/nHWuPtazV7”

I said this before and I will say it again:

I will gladly take a Street Fighter Alpha 4 that has the EXACT same graphics as Tatsunoko vs Capcom but with a bigger resolution

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
incredible game hurt by the platform choice and the fact that it was a versus game that wasn't marvel vs capcom 3

i remember back in the day NO ONE wanted to buy a stick just for one game on the wii, so... no one did. and the game just wan't played that much at tournaments in my area.

if we got a tvc out of the blue, today, it would be enormous

eddiemunstr

Jan 20, 2019
TvC gave us playable Roll and shes not a awful joke character that isnt viable. Also RIP anyone playing a giant vs the tekkamen, may as well just forfeit the match.

Aug 12, 2019
Such an underappreciated, albeit incredibly niche game haha. This was a game to be proud of as a Wii only kid back in 2010 haha.

Bard

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
TvC is the only fighting game where I wasn't total shit at. My boys Joe the Condor and Tekkaman Blade were my team. I was sad that I could never use VJ well, especially since I hated his lvl 1 super.

I wish this game got a port or something but I know that it's basically impossible and would be a huge headache like how the localization was.

Also, I wanted Speed Racer in this game somehow. He's probably the most recognizable character from Tatsunoko in the west and the dude isn't even a background character ffs.

1upsuper

Jan 30, 2018
One of my favorite fighting games of all time. For whatever reason, the robotic announcer voice saying "YATTERMAN NUMBER ONE" is permanently etched into my brain.

rude

Oct 25, 2017
The one game where Alex is actually ok and the start of Zero being broken in fighting games. Bless <3. Truly an iconic time in fighting games history.

Moist_Owlet

Banned
Dec 26, 2017
Fantastic game and it's an absolute crime there hasn't been a re-release while capcom was content to shit out garbage like MvC Infinite

Leeway

Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver, BC
Great game, I really wish they'd been able to include Samurai Pizza Cats. I think that was one of the most requested on the North American side.

KujoJosuke

Oct 25, 2017
Fucking awesome game. Even if you aren't familiar with Tatsunoko. The care put into the characters is really good.

Only problem is the giant characters fucking suck to fight against, especially if it's against someone who knows how to use one.

Zekes

Oct 25, 2017
I love TvC. I was always shit at the Versus games but I played the shit outta TvC

DyByHands

Jul 16, 2018
I never got into the vs games but still pull this out every now and again to play. Its so good. And all my nephews like playing it too.

rude

Oct 25, 2017
Also don't understand how Capcom made something as good as Baroque but then proceeded to make X-Factor right after. What were they thinking?

MarcelRguez

Nov 7, 2018
The game holds up incredibly well. I booted it up for the first time in a while a month or so ago and had a blast. Very accessible, as fun as any other Capcom vs. game, and extremely charming due to the roster picks.

It's also the game I got my first fighting stick for. The stick wasn't any good (it was the Hori Wii, not the TvC one), but I still have it since it holds sentimental value. It was a magical thing, that plus the Wii light gun games felt like I had my own arcade at home.

SasaBassa

Oct 25, 2017
Broken Zero and PTX aside, game was mad fun and Baroque was not complete bullshit (even though I love me some XFactor). Hope Marvel 4 takes it tbh.

Roll sweeping motherfuckers up was godlike, as was the Volnutt representation. Alex slamming dudes and Gatchaman/Casshern/Polimar putting in work...all fun.

YOU CAN PUUUUUUSH YOURSELLLLF TOOOOOOOOOO THE LIMIT, BE STRONG AND JUMP WITH MEEEE

Also. MOTHERFUCKING air dash Ryu. Most fun versus Ryu ever. He was so good. Most fun since ST sweep xx hado Ryu. This game was as MARVEL as it gets.

Lastly, I was high-key choked when UMVC3 Frank did not have reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeal megabuster!

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
God what I'd do for an all-Capcom fighter that played exactly like this game.

I'd suck at it but I'd have such a blast.

Sixfortyfive

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Atlanta
Also don't understand how Capcom made something as good as Baroque but then proceeded to make X-Factor right after. What were they thinking?
Baroque would be an absolute shit-show of touch-of-death combos in its own right if it wasn't for Mega Crash keeping it in check, and Mega Crash is a particularly poorly designed combo breaker that forces players to hoard meter for breakers instead of using it for actual super moves.

MaverickHunterAsh

Good Vibes Gaming
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Los Angeles, CA.
It's still the first and only fighting game in which MegaMan Trigger is playable. Even though it's a really great game besides, I appreciate it for that alone!

I refuse to call him Volnutt.

Last edited:

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
The character models still look like they're modeled using cardboards to me for some reason :V
Nice game and I own both the JP and Eng. releases =3

Aurica

音楽オタク - Comics Council 2020
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
I owned the Wii release at launch and loved it. A few months ago, I found an arcade version at the local Round 1 and freaked out.

Sadist

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Holland
Fantastic game.

One of the better fighting games I've played. Pretty accessible, cool roster and just a joy to play. Its a shame this game did not find more players.

King Dodongo

Oct 27, 2017
Loved the artstyle, the characters, the gameplay. I would double dip a Switch HD version without problem. What I would pay for the pizza cats.
And it made me watch Karas. For that, I'm also grateful.

SgtCobra

Oct 25, 2017
Greatest crossover of last gen. I don't see Capcom making anything like that anytime soon.

Laserbeam

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
so many Wii and Wii game threads lately, ya'll gonna get me to plug this fucking thing back in.

This game was great.

Wood Man

Oct 30, 2017
Still own my copy. Never getting rid of it unless there's something new. Which I doubt it.

I was Team Doronjo and Alex.

Zombine

Oct 25, 2017
These were very cool too. I believe they were preorder items. I have a couple packs laying around.
s-l400.jpg

Keits

Designer at Iron Galaxy Studios
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
Orlando, FL
I got top 8 at EVO in this! I even made tutorial videos using an analog capture device and windows movie maker (it crashed so much :( )

I will tell you that it had maybe the worst netcode of all time in fighting games. Just completely unplayable even with people who lived very close.

Its a super fun game with some flaws that are hard for me to look past, but I loved the time I had with it back then.

Billfisto

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
This is the one game I really wish would get a Switch release. I didn't appreciate Hurricane Polymar at the time of release.

Do a Turbo version, Capcom. Throw in the Pizza Cats while you're at it.

TDLink

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
One of the best fighting games ever made. It's a damn shame that due to licensing it is unlikely to ever be ported, or get a sequel. Because I'd kill for either.

M-TRNL

Oct 25, 2017
Bronx, NY
Hey, tourney footage! I was gonna post it if no one else did. I missed Frosty this year due to weather but I was there the previous 2 years and got top 3 both times. The game has indeed been getting a lot of love lately so I'm just gonna shill some stuff.

TvC Discord: https://discord.gg/TunaQmn
We play on Dolphin but there are some people still playing on Wii with wiimmfi. One of the most welcoming communities out there!

Tatsunoko vs Corona 6: https://smash.gg/tournament/tatsunoko-vs-corona-6/details
An upcoming online tourney being streamed on May 31 by MatchstickMelee. Currently happening every other week. Has a Matcherino where you can use the code "TvCorona6" for free money in the prize pool! You can check out the last tourney below, which had Lightan mirrors for some reason...?!

As you can tell, I'm in too deep. This game is sick and so is this thread. Viewtiful Forever

Sixfortyfive

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Atlanta
Anyway I think my favorite thing in this game was the training stage music. The instrumental one specifically, but the vocal version that was only used in Japanese UAS certainly has its charm:

I will tell you that it had maybe the worst netcode of all time in fighting games. Just completely unplayable even with people who lived very close.
Online TVC was the reason why I started driving to in-person tournaments.

Well, that, and watching Marn not know how to tech PTX's grab during EVO top 8. "If this guy is the champion then there is literally no reason for me to not compete."