• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Tasmanian devils have been reintroduced into the wild in mainland Australia for the first time in 3,000 years.

Conservation groups released 26 of the mammals into a large sanctuary in Barrington Tops, north of Sydney.

It's thought that packs of dingoes helped eradicate them on the mainland.

The first group of 15 were released in March. After the animals showed signs of thriving in their environment, a further 11 were released in September.

Young, healthy Tasmanian devils were selected in the hope they would be ready for breeding season, set to begin in February.

"They're free. They're out there," Tim Faulkner, president of Aussie Ark, told National Geographic. "We've got some basic means of keeping an eye on them. But essentially, now it's over to the devils to do what they do."

Another 40 are set to be released into the sanctuary over the next two years.

It's estimated that there are fewer than 25,000 devils in the wild in Tasmania. During the 1990s, there were as many as 150,000 but the animal population was hit by a deadly mouth cancer that drastically cut numbers.

More at:
www.bbc.com

Tasmanian Devils reintroduced into Australian wild

Its thought the mammals, classified as endangered, were wiped out on the mainland by dingoes.

Spin if old

WhySoDevious

Oct 31, 2017
I thought they had gone extinct.

Great news.

I do remember watching a documentary on the mouth cancer... poor guys.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
PhoncipleBone I mention enough and real life makes it happen
61H8Q5N8FHL._AC_UL600_SR423,600_.jpg

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
I wasn't aware they weren't in Australia. Awesome news, though!
I thought they had gone extinct.

Great news.

I do remember watching a documentary on the mouth cancer... poor guys.
This is my cue to say that the Thylacine is the most beautiful animal and fuck humanity for killing them all.

Thequietone

Oct 26, 2017

laoni

Oct 25, 2017
Mouth cancer nearly wiped out an entire species?

That's wild.

Yeah so, this cancer is highly aggressive and transmissible, they think from either biting another devil with a tumour or eating the same food as a cancerous devil. Then the tumours start around their mouth and face, eating the underlying tissue/bone away and swelling to a huge size, and the devil can't eat anymore. The tumours also become huge open wounds so, they get infected super easy.

Mar 21, 2018
I'm really hoping their numbers can grow again. That cancer really tore through them and there was a real concern they would go extinct.

EDIT: Barrington Tops? Hmmm, that's probably only an hour's drive from my GFs place. Might be worth a drive to see them in the wild.

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
Wait why are the releasing them into mainland Australia if they were wiped out from it 3000 years ago? Isn't that the natural order of things? I figured they would only try and fix what humans have caused.

OP
OP
DiipuSurotu

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wait why are the releasing them into mainland Australia if they were wiped out from it 3000 years ago? Isn't that the natural order of things? I figured they would only try and fix what humans have caused.
Some explanations here:
www.nationalgeographic.com

Tasmanian devils return to mainland Australia for first time in 3,000 years

Scientists hope the scrappy predators' reintroduction can balance ecosystems ravaged by invasive species.

Rlan

Oct 27, 2017
Wellington, New Zealand

I mean we've fucked it up with Rabbits and Cane Toads. At least keeping it within the biodiversity that Australia has is probably better than an invasive species. Additionally the Tassie Devils have had issues with the cancer as mentioned above. Expanding their habitat should help avoid the species constantly getting the thing. (Also an issue like Koalas having a big Chlamydia issue)

Nov 8, 2017
There have been reported sightings of Tasmanian tigers in recent years so there is still some hope of them still surviving but probably very limited numbers.

Ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

This is kind of cryptozoo level stuff imo. Here in Tassie we've had unconfirmed sightings for decades and tons of money spent on searches to find them, but nothing has shown up. It's extremely unlikely there really are any left.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Mouth cancer nearly wiped out an entire species?

That's wild.
It's one of the most bizarre and horrifying diseases in nature. One Devil developed cancer and those cancer cells became contagious. The infected Devils aren't "getting" cancer in the usual way, they're being infected with the original Devil's cancer. It effectively became a parasitic organism that has long outlived its original host.

There are only two other cancers of this type known in mammals. They're weird as hell and I'm shocked they haven't been used as inspiration for a horror video game.

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
I mean we've fucked it up with Rabbits and Cane Toads. At least keeping it within the biodiversity that Australia has is probably better than an invasive species. Additionally the Tassie Devils have had issues with the cancer as mentioned above. Expanding their habitat should help avoid the species constantly getting the thing. (Also an issue like Koalas having a big Chlamydia issue)
Ahh I see. Good for the Devils though!

Deleted member 69573

User requested account closure
Banned
May 17, 2020
Melbourne, Australia
Dog possums, kind of cute :D I remember learning about their near extinction in primary school in the 90's here in Australia, so nice they seem be in a good position now.

I still know a lot of these lyrics

I always found Taz confusing, he seems closer to the Tasmanian Tiger to me 🤷‍♂️

Edit: actually nah, probably just my dumb kid brain. he's definitely closer to the devil in design lol

Last edited:

PaulloDEC

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017
Australia
So nice to see our little devils are getting back out there. We have so many amazing native animals here, but it often feels like we're not doing enough to keep them around.

Nov 14, 2017
But if they haven't been there in 3,000 years, won't they become the invasive species? It's a real life version of this:

- Humans have inhabited the continent for way more than 3000 years and caused/contributed to significant ecological changes during that time (extinction of megafauna, habitat changes).
- Dingoes (who would be direct competition for the devils) were also introduced by humans, relatively recently (earliest known fossil is from around 3.5 thousand years ago, but they may predate that by hundreds of years).
- Ecologically speaking, 3000 years isn't a long time.

Sqrt

Oct 26, 2017
The Tasmanian devil, the feisty marsupial that only resided on the island of Tasmania for the last 3,000 years, has been reintroduced into Australia's mainland for the first time in 3,000 years.

On Monday, 11 devils, along with six other species of small mammals, were released into a large preserve, where they'll be able to roam free, forage for their own food and act as they would in the wild.

The feat is a result of a decade-long project by Aussie Ark, an animal preservation organization that created an "insurance population" for the species, which is listed as endangered on the International Union for Conservation of Nature's Red List.

abcnews.go.com

Tasmanian devils reintroduced into Australia's mainland for 1st time in 3,000 years

The Tasmanian devil has been released to roam Australia's mainland for the first time in 3,000 years.