• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

William

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
I really like Taskmaster, but I feel they're pumping them out a bit too quickly. The show's quality depends on the chemistry between the contestants and some of the more recent series have been a little flat in that regard.

I worry that it could turn out to be too much of a good thing, but I dont think it has got there yet, I have faith they can keep the quality up because I have really enjoyed all the series, but I do agree that the group dynamics havent been as good recently as they were in the past, perhaps because they are spreading the net wider for contestants.

I think my favourite series was 5, with Nish Kumar, Mark Watson who went together perfectly, and Sally Phillips, Aisling Bea and Bob Mortimer who were all hilarious throughout - I think that season was the highlight for the chemistry maybe?

But then the last two seasons have had my absolute favourite "characters" with James Acaster and Joe Thomas, both of whom got the time to shine and kept me entertained even if the whole group wasn't as great.

I think its such a good show idea that it can feel like a great series/episode even with the weaker groups. I just love watching these fun and funny people solve ridiculous problems.

OP
OP

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
I really like Taskmaster, but I feel they're pumping them out a bit too quickly. The show's quality depends on the chemistry between the contestants and some of the more recent series have been a little flat in that regard.

I was starting to worry about that for the series that I opened this thread with - in the end it felt a bit flat - but I think the series after that have been very, very good so I'm less concerned.

Ortix

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I wasn't a big fan of the previous one, but the Gilbert/Acaster/Wang/Knappett/Godliman season is probably my favourite. Need some crazy wildcards to do crazy stuff.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
I dropped off after the series with Bob Mortimer and sally Philips - soo good. Need to catch up. I think the fact they're on a catch-up app makes me less inclined to watch as they're so available. Not sure why I even have a TiVo anymore as i spend more time deleting things to make space for more stuff I won't watch.

Oct 28, 2017
Good to see a thread for this. One of my favourite shows. Everything about it just works. Favourite series is a toss up between 5 and 7.

If I had to choose the perfect line-up from previous episode I think I'd go Bob Mortimer, Paul Chowdhry, Tim Key, James Acaster and Sally Phillips.
Honourable mention to Jessica Knappet and Rhod Gilbert.

Can't say I'm overly keen on the newest contestants but if I'm being honest this show has turned me into a fan of a few people I didn't particularly like beforehand. Romesh Ranganathan, Paul Chowdhry, Rob Beckett, Rhod Gilbert, Mark Watson.

William

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Clip from the first episode has been released:

It looks good! - fun task, funny people, I think this bodes well!

Sleepyhead86

Oct 27, 2017
I've been on a British TV panel/game show binge the last few years, can't get enough of them.

Biggest difference I've had issues with is the short list of episodes compared to American TV. I want more but I'm aware the shorter seasons improve quality.

Give me more please.

OP
OP

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
I've been on a British TV panel/game show binge the last few years, can't get enough of them.

Biggest difference I've had issues with is the short list of episodes compared to American TV. I want more but I'm aware the shorter seasons improve quality.

Give me more please.

Would I Lie To You's the current king in my book after TM, it's consistently extremely funny and one of those shows where the format itself can elevate the guests. That's something I'm noticing about panel games; sometimes they're just vessels for comedians to roll out their usual schtick, but the very best ones the format is so intrinsic that it brings something *new* out of the participants.

Of course, if you want quantity then take a look at radio, with the likes of I'm Sorry I Haven't A Clue a couple of years away from making it to fifty years, and Just A Minute - absurdly - having gone past that with the same host.

Mosse

Oct 25, 2017

Give me more please.
8 out of 10 cats does countdown is also great if you haven't seen it already

William

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Well that was bloody good. Great set of contestants this series.

EDit: This part was awesome:

OP
OP

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
Really really promising start. Aubergine task an excellent starter, and the lolly/dodo one also a nice variation on the classic Pie Whisperer. Liking the onstage chat, too; there seems to be rather more - at least for now - joking about other peoples' performances, but not - at least for now - in the form of rants about how scores are awarded.

Oct 28, 2017
Disappointed Alex didn't correct Greg when he called an aubergine a vegetable.

Decent opener. Never seen Rose Matafeo before but I like her. She's my early favourite.

OP
OP

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
This is shaping up to be a very good series.

Is anyone in this thread or thread-adjacent planning to attempt Task #185 from the book?

It's a picnic and meetup this weekend

JonathanEx

Oct 25, 2017
Considered going to it - but last minute got tickets to the equally nerdy Rule of Three podcast recording on the same day. If you're going, enjoy it - should be good fun from the look of it.

OP
OP

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
This is somewhat bigger that people were anticipating.

dJbQS2b.jpg

But then, I think 'endearing shambles' is very Taskmaster!

William

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Tonight's episode was great, that Water features task was brilliant. Poor Alex.

This is somewhat bigger that people were anticipating.

dJbQS2b.jpg

But then, I think 'endearing shambles' is very Taskmaster!
That looks like it was a lot of fun, wish I could have gone.
Apparently they went to the football ground used in the show but there was too large a group to let them all in. Alex Horne

William

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Final episode of this series starts in a few.

It's been a great set of contestants this year, everyone has had some brilliant moments. If the rumors are true that it is the last year on Dave it is a good one to go out on. Hopefully channel 4 won't change it too much. Or at all, fingers crossed.

DumbNameD

Oct 27, 2017
Thought this series was another successful romp, but that red green must be cursed or something.

And although language-censored, Series 1 is finally officially available in the US (and other places where the show is not on TV) via YouTube.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
OP, Lisa Lampanelli is the American comedian most likely to appear on late night early oughts tv shows where five white comedians and one black one, REALLY wanted to say the n word.

Her schtick was that she should be allowed to on account of fake stories about banging black guys.

whatsinaname

Oct 25, 2017
Jumped onto this, a random episode popped up in my recommendations list. Hilarious show, super well done.

Godfather

Game on motherfuckers
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Jumped onto this, a random episode popped up in my recommendations list. Hilarious show, super well done.
Same here. An episode showed up in my recommendations on youtube and whatever task it was sounded entertaining. Now I'm going back through season 1 and it's pretty good. I love the rules lawyering/cheating aspect of it.

Deleted member 5853

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've been catching up on the show since it isn't coming back till later this year, and man, it is absolutely hilarious.

I do think there are some series that are clearly way better than others (Series 7 is definitely one of the best), and I hope Series 10 is amazing. It's a shame they don't broadcast this in the US, though.

Tregard

Oct 27, 2017
Having some thoughts on who they might get as the heavy hitters for their first outing on Channel 4:

- Richard Ayoade (good relationship with Channel 4 re: The Crystal Maze, a much wanted name by Alex in the past)
- Adam Buxton (similar to Richard, appears on Crystal Maze a lot and seems perfect)
- Sean Locke (Cats does Countdown regular, fills the grumpy man role, not really my bag but he is popular)
- Harry Hill (Big Channel 4 talent at the moment, but has a really frosty past with Avalon)
- Adam Hills (Last Leg host, seems like a shoe-in, honestly)
- David O'Doherty (Countdown regular, would be a great get)
- Sandi Toksvig (Would be fun, but now she's dropped Bake Off I wonder if she's done on Channel 4, honestly)
- Victoria Coren Mitchell (she's mostly BBC, but she appears on C4 stuff such as the Last Leg, and is someone I'd love to see)
- Zoe Lyons (Hosting a BBC Two quiz later this year)
- Suzi Ruffell (Clubnite appearance recently)
- Bridget Christie (Clubnite appearance recently)
- Sophie Willan (Current voiceover for 'The Circle')

Potentially some of E4's comedy talent, such as people who were on 'Pants On Fire', like Donna Preston and Bobby Mair are worth considering too.

whatsinaname

Oct 25, 2017
I've been catching up on the show since it isn't coming back till later this year, and man, it is absolutely hilarious.

I do think there are some series that are clearly way better than others (Series 7 is definitely one of the best), and I hope Series 10 is amazing. It's a shame they don't broadcast this in the US, though.

Any idea what the best way to watch the old episodes in the US is? I've caught up with their official youtube channel and I need more!

OP
OP

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
Any idea what the best way to watch the old episodes in the US is? I've caught up with their official youtube channel and I need more!

If you have a UK-friendly VPN, you can probably watch them directly streamed from Dave. http://dave.uktv.co.uk/. If not, it's a very popular posting on the PanelShow subreddit, a bit of searching on there should find you some useful links.

Last edited:

Five Venoms

Oct 27, 2017
Aw, Joe Wilkinson was great that season. I've binged this entire show since going into stay-at-home mode, it's so good.
In fact, speaking of Mr. Wilkinson, watch a man's dreams die before your eyes:

Oct 28, 2017
Richard Herring will be one of the contestants I bet.

While we are waiting for a new series they should put together an "Unseen Footage" episode. There must be a ton of stuff that's been cut from previous series. Tasks that didn't quite work, tie-breakers that didn't need to be used, and so on.

DumbNameD

Oct 27, 2017
Is it immature to want to have Richard Ayoade and Richard Herring in the same series and to be put together for team tasks? Just for confusion's sake and for the inevitable jokes (you know, about how they are a pair of Rich guys and how much money they must have because of their common first name).

weekev

Is this a test?
Oct 25, 2017
Not the strongest line up ever. Never heard of Mawaan Rizwan and then i googled him and recognised none of his work apart from the fact he wrote one episode of Sex Education which was a great show. Cautiously optimistic. Johnny Vegas will be the butt of many a joke, good to see Katherine Parkinson back on TV, not sure if she has done much since the IT crowd but she was great in that so again cautiously optimistic. Cant see it beating Bob Mortimer and Sally Phillips year though. The song they sang to that poor woman will always be in my top 5 tv moments of all time, I genuinely thought I might die laughing cos i couldn't breathe for about 30 seconds.