• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

El_TigroX

Oct 27, 2017
New York, NY
Everything about their operations in stores has been pretty solid through this pandemic. I will go out of my way to choose Target because their training and employees are doing a great job, and I'm glad to see they are getting some additional compensation.

I hope it sticks, I hope their hours stay up and I hope the stores and management teams go out of their way to help their teams when they can.

skeptem

Oct 25, 2017
Everything about their operations in stores has been pretty solid through this pandemic. I will go out of my way to choose Target because their training and employees are doing a great job, and I'm glad to see they are getting some additional compensation.

I hope it sticks, I hope their hours stay up and I hope the stores and management teams go out of their way to help their teams when they can.
This must be entirely subjective, because the people I've talked to who work there (PA and OH) mentioned lack of PPE, plexiglass, training, or communication, up until recently.

Anecdotally, I went to one for the first time yesterday, hardly any customers were wearing masks and even a few workers were without them. I grabbed my pharmacy order and got out of there asap.

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
I thought this happened a while ago?

But still, Target is the only place my family shops regularly. The stores are clean, and most of the employees are actually nice. My local one has been great during the pandemic.

El_TigroX

Oct 27, 2017
New York, NY
This must be entirely subjective, because the people I've talked to who work there (PA and OH) mentioned lack of PPE, plexiglass, training, or communication, up until recently.

Anecdotally, I went to one for the first time yesterday, hardly any customers were wearing masks and even a few workers were without them. I grabbed my pharmacy order and got out of there asap.
I'm in NJ when I visit their stores - everyone has masks, I don't think I've seen a single person without it - customer or employee, there's plastic barriers up where they can, they have someone constantly cleaning their self check out after each customer... It's been a few of their stores where I see this.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Unless they pledge to give everyone 30-40 hours a week, this is probably not as great as it sounds.

ElectricBlanketFire

What year is this?
Oct 25, 2017
Is it weird that I love shopping at Target? It's like a relaxation exercise to just walk through Target with a coffee in hand.

"The Target Effect."

NBC News said:
First, we have to understand how this effect works: in short, it just feels good to be in Target. "The lighting, the bright colors … it brightens your affect and you tend to have a pretty good time so it's conducive to buying," Chapman said. Of course being able to stop at Starbucks for a vanilla crème cold brew can also induce us to spend more time, he said. Spending more time translates to spending more money — and buying things we didn't intend to.

Target is also very clever at placing things in strategic places to boost cross-selling, and many stores now are rolling out lifestyle settings that help shoppers visualize the goods in their own home. Meanwhile they're employing "psychological pricing," Chapman said. "They give you the impression that you're getting a deal." It's a dead simple trick, but one we fall prey to. "Because it has a 9 on the end of it it appears to be on sale," he said, "so how could you pass it up?"

mhayes86

Oct 27, 2017
Maryland
That's nice, and I hope everyone gets consistent hours. I worked at Target for six years and was lucky to get more than 20 hours a week until October, and then back down to 20 or less in January.

Edit: The lack of hours prevented me from being eligible for benefits, too. I'm not sure if that changed in ~8 years.

Last edited:

Hello.

Jan 20, 2020
Speaking from personal experience, I had worked at Target for over a year not too long ago. I never got enough hours and nearly impossible to attain 40. While $15 an hour is nice, only getting up to 20 hours a week still means it's not living.

XaviConcept

Art Director for Videogames
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Is it weird that I love shopping at Target? It's like a relaxation exercise to just walk through Target with a coffee in hand.
It doesnt work for everybody, but those shops are made to make you feel like you want to stay there, including the lighting and temperature. Theres been tests done about this, how having dimmed out yellow tinted lighting can relax you and make you lethargic

Azerth

Prophet of Truth - Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
yeah hours will always be an issue but its something atleast

peteykirch

Oct 25, 2017
The increase means nothing if they are only getting a portion of their old hours.

40 hours at say $12 = 480

Now they bump your pay up to $15, but are only giving you 32 hours = 480.

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The increase means nothing if they are only getting a portion of their old hours.

40 hours at say $12 = 480

Now they bump your pay up to $15, but are only giving you 32 hours = 480.
I mean, it still means something. It means you're working 8 hours less a week but making the same wage.

ChrisD

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I've debated trying to get on at ours for a while, they've been at $15 since January I believe. Even if it sucks more than the fast food I'm at now, going from $10 to $15 would have to alleviate some stress.

And I won't lie, hearing "less hours (for comparatively still more money)" sounds real freakin nice right now.

I hope that the $200 bonus isn't strings attached like our place's was. A $150 bonus to anyone who worked 30 hour weeks for a month.. while management purposefully cut you to make absolute certain you didn't hit it. Next to nobody got that bonus.

Soturi

Apr 3, 2018
Makes sense why they are ending the $2/hr differential on July 4th now. Most will probably make slightly less though.

PopsMaellard

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I've debated trying to get on at ours for a while, they've been at $15 since January I believe. Even if it sucks more than the fast food I'm at now, going from $10 to $15 would have to alleviate some stress.

And I won't lie, hearing "less hours (for comparatively still more money)" sounds real freakin nice right now.

I hope that the $200 bonus isn't strings attached like our place's was. A $150 bonus to anyone who worked 30 hour weeks for a month.. while management purposefully cut you to make absolute certain you didn't hit it. Next to nobody got that bonus.

This morning our store director said it was for anyone hourly regardless of schedule.

This is nationwide?

here in Indianapolis you're lucky to get more than $9/hr for retail

Yes.

Book One

Oct 25, 2017
good move. curious what their average is currently

NM, I see that their current is $13.

so crazy that federal is still just $7.25

Last edited:

ElBoxy

Oct 25, 2017
exactly, which is what everyone says they want to have happen, isnt it? not sure why the "European" model that some people love all of a sudden is bad when it is actually implemented
There's no balance between free time and being financially secured. We're probably not gonna get there until the minimum wage is $20.

MechaMarmaset

Nov 20, 2017
That's almost a living wage, got to hand it to them.

In Ohio, at least, that would be pretty decent as long as it was full time

Working 40 hours, that would be about $1980 after taxes:
Rent - 1 bedroom: $700
Internet: $50
Phone: $25
Electric: $100
Health Insurance: $275 (this is marketplace price for my plan, much lower through target)
Gasoline: $80
Water: $50
Food: $250
Netflix: $17
Misc: $100

Left Over: $333

Mar 3, 2019
Target stays winning. They are headquartered here in Minnesota so they are my preffered place to shop anyway since they are so prevalent. That and all of the walmarts nearby are super trashy/ill maintained dim depressing places. Back in Indiana, Walmarts and Meijers were pretty decent, but they all suck in Minnesota

Titanpaul

Jan 2, 2019
They can always do better, but it's leagues above most retailers, especially large retailers. This is good. Will hopefully push others to follow.

sensui-tomo

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yup they cut hours, and they're getting rid of areas that used to have people that would work good hours by some standards (aka the food courts (starbucks stays mind you)
You obviously dont think the person working carts is going to have a living wage if they only work this job.

Zorg1000

Banned
Jul 22, 2019
Speaking from personal experience, I had worked at Target for over a year not too long ago. I never got enough hours and nearly impossible to attain 40. While $15 an hour is nice, only getting up to 20 hours a week still means it's not living.
Isn't this an issue with most retail/fast food? I feel like I'm always hearing complaints about those types of businesses never giving enough hours.

My sister has worked at Walmart for 10 years and she still struggles to get 40 hours/week.