• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn
]
Republicans have no political power in San Francisco, but law and order tough on crime Democrats sure are.
Remember to act all surprised when some poor kid get a decade in jail for shoplifting.

It's going to be huge; they are going to want blood. I know the narrative in the post is that outsiders just dont know how bad it is in SF, but some things don't add up.

Prop 47 is across the state, so why is SF the one with the spikes
"Cops doing nothing", so why are they not doing anything? Cops aren't supposed to ignore misdemeanors and lord knows SF cops have no problems with a little of that good old baton on dark skin action.
And there's also the $950 amount as if your petty criminal is stealing while using a calculator before commiting a crime

I read somewhere that some organized crime element with more concerted mass theft efforts might be involved which makes sense, but it still wouldn't cause such a huge shift in numbers.

There's lots of 'crime is insane' anecdotal evidence in the post, but no real explanation why outside of the usual pandemic rise

jstevenson

Developer at Insomniac Games
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Burbank CA
Yeah the takes that this isn't actually a major issue in SF are dead wrong. Broad daylight and brazen there.

most corporate loss prevention policies aren't prepared for this sort of scale or fearlessness. They expect the law and government to keep people from shoplifting

mince that's out the window, and more and more people successfully shoplift without consequences it begins to spiral pretty quick

Oct 29, 2017
There's a lot of issues in the city. A lot of the thefts that happen come from either the homeless or Organizied crime rings. Most of the thieves come from outside SF.

Mcfrank

Oct 28, 2017
I remember camping out for a launch ps3 in Walmart overnight back in the day. When I went to use the bathroom at 2am, there were huge piles of empty DVD and CD cases in the stall where people had taken the discs out of the cases and walked out. I told an employee about it and they said "oh yeah it is like that every night." This was in Texas back in 2006 so its not like shoplifting is a new or a SF exclusive thing.

zoabs

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
May 7, 2018
I mean I saw a tiktok with 350k likes just blatantly condoning shoplifting at target especially due to its ease. And MOST of the comments were supportive and like "Thanks for the tips!"

I actually believe this article.

smurfx

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
love to see era giving shitty hot takes. fuck facts as long as they can show off their righteousness.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It's hard not to blame them at this point. This situation in San Francisco reminds me a lot of the situation here in Madison with teenagers stealing cars, where a small contingent of people are doing it, they always get caught and often cause major accidents, and there is zero real punishment or response from law enforcement or the DA so it keeps on happening with no end in sight. To a certain degree you can blame the car owners for not locking their cars, as you can a store for not paying for more security, but ultimately the local government is the only one with the power to stop it and they've consistently failed to address it even with the most basic tools available to them.

If the local government refuses to take something like this seriously why would anyone, individual worker or business, feel inclined to put themselves at more risk than is absolutely necessary?

finalflame

Product Management
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So wait is this phenomena happening all over California?
It's particularly bad in SF as we have a DA who won't prosecute property crime, and police who have resigned themselves to the fact that making arrests is useless for this reason. That + people are worn out and tired of reporting things and nothing being done.

fucking lol @ the "something doesn't add up" posts talking in direct opposition to literally anyone who lives, works, or has visited here.
and then put them to work on firefighting detail for a dollar an hour just in time for wildfire season right?

heard there is a shortage of prisoner firefighters anyway.
At this point that sounds like a good plan to me actually, yes
Why wouldn't it be a serious post?
I don't work for target and i dont get paid to care for their inventory and neither does that poster
Unless im misreading your statement?
I just frankly can't imagine someone seriously holding the opinion of "lol who cares if people are brazenly stealing, doesn't affect me". Most people don't enjoy being around rampant criminality.

Thordinson

Aug 1, 2018

Saddle people with fines that they can't afford when they get out so they have to turn back to stealing? Not only that, if it was a felony, then they could be discriminated against in employment and housing which further drives them to do illegal things to make ends meet. That doesn't seem productive.

There can be ways to deal with this outside of prison.

QisTopTier

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I thought you guys hated capitalism though /s

honestly the only fix to this is to force these people into community service as punishment with a wage then if they are repeat offenders then sadly prison is gonna happen

Hollywood Duo

Oct 25, 2017
This is definitely due to shoplifting, and not due to them not wanting to actually pay anyone to staff those hours. Yep. Absolutely buying this justification at face value.
You realize places like Target have staff working over night to do stocking and bringing in new product right. The store isn't open when that happens.

iiicon

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Adam Johnson is part of the Citations Needed podcast. They did an episode on this.

citationsneeded.libsyn.com

Citations Needed: News Brief: "Organized Crime" "Shoplifting Epidemic" Panic Hits San Francisco Media

In this public News Brief, we take a critical look at a recent wave of sensationalist "organized crime" "shoplifting epidemic" stories in national and Bay Area media and how they fit into a resurgent "Tough on Crime" narrative. We are joined by Fred Sherburn-Zimmer, Director of Housing Rights...
To add to this, the SF Chronicle ran an article recently showing that shoplifting rates have been going down consistently since 1985.

A viral video has everyone talking about San Francisco's 'shoplifting surge.' But is it real?

Reckheim

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I mean is shoplifting that bad if you're just in the store as a customer? I've been shopping and seen people clearly grabbing stuff to shoplift or walking out with a huge bag of stuff and I just kept minding my own business.
when these big chain stores close, a lot of people loose their jobs. That's the biggest issue here.

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
It's particularly bad in SF as we have a DA who won't prosecute property crime, and police who have resigned themselves to the fact that making arrests is useless for this reason. That + people are worn out and tired of reporting things and nothing being done.

fucking lol @ the "something doesn't add up" posts talking in direct opposition to literally anyone who lives, works, or has visited here.
Pretty annoying isn't it?

"Just give people a UBI and they won't mass shoplift Neiman Marcus."

finalflame

Product Management
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Saddle people with fines that they can't afford when they get out so they have to turn back to stealing? Not only that, if it was a felony, then they could be discriminated against in employment and housing which further drives them to do illegal things to make ends meet. That doesn't seem productive.

There can be ways to deal with this outside of prison.
Cool, we better find them fast because the people of SF are pretty fed up with this, yours truly inclusive.

Deleted member 4614

Oct 25, 2017
Clearly enforcement and prosecution have a role to play here.

Even if you had UBI, if there's no law enforcement against crimes, people will still commit them to make *more* money above the UBI.

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It's going to be huge; they are going to want blood.
Yep, and I'd imagine most of the rich white techies who have a Black Lives Matter sign in their home in the gentrified neighborhood will cheer for that.
It's not like California didn't try that shit, this state sent people to life in prison over shoplifting, and it didn't end crime. But I always believed "tough on crime" is more about hating/being afraid of the poor than anything truly rational.

p.s.
And of course, retail been pushing for harsher penalties for shoplifting for a while, it's par for the course for American businesses to try to outsource as much of their costs to the government.
www.theguardian.com

12 years in jail for shoplifting: how Walmart is helping prosecutors hike up sentences

The case of a man facing 12 years in prison for shoplifting shows a growing trend in America: corporations successfully pushing state prosecutors to increase shoplifting charges to felonies

Swiggins

was promised a tag
Apr 10, 2018
I mean is shoplifting that bad if you're just in the store as a customer? I've been shopping and seen people clearly grabbing stuff to shoplift or walking out with a huge bag of stuff and I just kept minding my own business.

EDIT: to all the people talking about how this needs to get under control, you know misdemeanors still get punished, right? Are people in this thread really advocating for shoplifters to be thrown in prison?
Clearly you didn't read the thread or you'd know that these people are not being punished because the DA is refusing the prosecute the cases.

As for whether or not shoplifters need to be thrown in prison...if they repeatedly offend then absolutely, and I'm not ashamed in saying so either.

Apath

Oct 25, 2017
Who says it's not permanent?
Even then, why would a store need to make up a reason for changing their hours of operation? Why would it suddenly be not profitable to be open after 7PM after a long history of be open until 10PM or whenever? Based on the observations from actual locals in this thread, Target's reasoning is being corroborated.

finalflame

Product Management
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Damn thats surreal as heck
It's reality if you live in SF. Anyone saying otherwise, again, doesn't live here. I've yet to see a single SF resident go against the grain here, only people who don't live here pretending to know what this city is like and the problems it faces.

finalflame

Product Management
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't think the person said throw the law abiding poor and homeless into prison.
Strawmans are just the MO here. Toe the line and support lawlessness or you're a modern-slavery-supporting conservative. Imagine someone actually holding liberal ideals but not being down for their city being ransacked.

Last edited:

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
Misdemeanor doesn't mean someone doesn't get punished.

This makes more sense than the change to misdemeanor. You would see similar rates all over California if it were solely due to Prop 47.

This too. I wouldn't be surprised if it may be a problem and corporations are just taking advantage of the situtation.
They had data that showed store closures were no worse in that area than other dense metropolitan areas.

Thordinson

Aug 1, 2018
Cool, we better find them fast because the people of SF are pretty fed up with this, yours truly inclusive.

There's plenty of ways that many places use. SF can do those things. Prison diversion programs work. Whereas, putting in people in prison tends to make sure they end up back in prison.

Strawmans are just the MO here. Toe the line and support lawlessness or you're a modern-slavery-supporting conservative. Imagine someone actually holding liberal ideas but not being down for their city being ransacked.

Thinking packing prisons isn't the answer is not saying "Yay crime!"

Do you have a more complex answer other than "throw the poor and homeless people in prison?"

Especially since prison isn't actually an answer that really changes things.

They had data that showed store closures were no worse in that area than other dense metropolitan areas.

Interesting. You'd think store closures would happen more often it if was that costly to keep them open due to shop lifting.

UltimateHigh

Oct 25, 2017
imagine thinking ubi and other safety nets wouldn't reduce crime (and poverty, etc...) across the board throughout the nation, especially in a city with all sorts of inequalities and gentrification.

but nah, let's cram even more people into prisons... because they stole some stuff.

Oct 29, 2017

They don't care about productivity, they just want to not see it.

Theft and homelessness, while especially rampant in the SF area, is also increasingly common in "tech hub" cities where the median salary is well above basically every other sector and creates more homeless every year. It's hard to not side-eye tech workers who move in to these cities from elsewhere with wild af salaries and go around whining about societal issues in the cities that they're either blissfully unaware of or unwilling to admit they were exacerbated by the very industry that's giving them that salary. And they're not wrong about the rising crimes/homelesness that makes the cities an increasingly worse place to live in, but the total lack of self-awareness leads to "I DON'T CARE, THROW THEM ALL IN JAIL" pro-police bullshit that isn't going to solve the problems the way think it will.

Apath

Oct 25, 2017
finalflame got me fuming lol. Advocating for legalized slavery for petty theft. Shit doesn't change.
Please quote the posts advocating for legalized slavery. I don't believe I've seen a single post here stating these people should be in prison unless they are repeat offenders. I see people unhappy that the lack of any punishment has led to rampant theft.

Septimus Prime

EA
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not sure if people here are aware, but there's a bit of space between locking people up forever over petty theft and just not doing anything at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.