• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

I didn't see a thread already made on the subject. Sometimes pre-orders might work very early in the sale. If you are hoping to use this on Nintendo First party games like I am, I wouldn't get your hopes up.

Still, there might be a deal out there for you!

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
Thanks for bringing this to my attention.

Sales like this are the main reason I always prefer Physical over Digital.

Obi Wan Jabroni

alt account
Banned
Dec 14, 2020
I buy a shit ton of art books so this is sometimes a nice sale to save a few bucks. They have a pretty decent selection online.

DontHateTheBacon

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
Perfect timing to miss all of this years new releases!

If only it were a month or two down the road...

Empyrean Cocytus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Upstate NY
Friendly reminder that this doesn't exactly give you buy two get one free, it just drops the price of each by whichever the lowest-price game would be.

So if you bought three $60 games, they'd all be discounted to $40. So if you want to just get 1-2 games, you could always buy a third game you don't want, then return it, and you still get two games for $80.

Also, yeah, don't expect first-party Switch to be included in this outside of some limited titles. One year I got lucky because the special edition of Splatoon 2 (the one with the booklet) was apparently forgotten to be excluded, and I was able to grab it. But yeah, if you're looking to score Mario 3D World in this, not gonna happen.

SoleSurvivor

Oct 27, 2017
So if you want to just get 1-2 games, you could always buy a third game you don't want, then return it, and you still get two games for $80.

From my time working in gaming retail in the past (about 12 years at GameCrazy, RZone, and Best Buy), companies anticipate this kind of "return fraud" and their POS systems usually adjust the price of a single returned item automatically to reflect not fully returning all of the items on the transaction so people don't wind up with discounted product.

I've never worked for them, but I'd be shocked if Target allowed this, because they run the B2G1 media deals all the time and you think by this point they would have taken all forms of fraud into account when running these promos.

Sephiroth

Oct 26, 2017
From my time working in gaming retail in the past (about 12 years at GameCrazy, RZone, and Best Buy), companies anticipate this kind of "return fraud" and their POS systems usually adjust the price of a single returned item automatically to reflect not fully returning all of the items on the transaction so people don't wind up with discounted product.

I've never worked for them, but I'd be shocked if Target allowed this, because they run the B2G1 media deals all the time and you think by this point they would have taken all forms of fraud into account when running these promos.
Target has been doing this for over a decade that I can remember. Easy way to get new games at $40 near launch.

SoleSurvivor

Oct 27, 2017
Target has been doing this for over a decade that I can remember. Easy way to get new games at $40 near launch.

That's crazy to me just again based on my own retail experience where I literally took trainings on "return fraud" and how companies anticipate people trying to get away with it. I personally would never do it because all your information is tracked on a return if they ever want to go after people for it. But not trying to shame, props to those who make it happen.

Sephiroth

Oct 26, 2017
That's crazy to me just again based on my own retail experience where I literally took trainings on "return fraud" and how companies anticipate people trying to get away with it. I personally would never do it because all your information is tracked on a return if they ever want to go after people for it. But not trying to shame, props to those who make it happen.

They won't go after people. It's not like this is s receiptless return.

OP
OP
Josh5890

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Friendly reminder. It should go live in an hour or so

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017

It's their return policy. It literally says on the receipt what each item's return value is when you buy things with a sale like this. It's not some trick or abuse of their system.

In fact here's their official return policy on such a sale:

When purchasing items as part of a Buy One Get One (BOGO) promotion, the promotional discount is based on the lowest priced item, then applied to each item proportionately. If you choose to return any of the items, your refund will be reduced to the discounted amount for each item.

Here are some examples:
  • Buy One, Get One Free: If your first qualifying item is $60 and your second qualifying item is $40, the $60 item will be discounted by $24 and the $40 item will be discounted by $16, which gives a total discount of $40. If either item is returned, the return value will be equal to the original purchase price reduced by its prorated discount.
  • Buy One, Get One 50% Off: If your first qualifying item is $60 and your second qualifying item is $40, the $60 item will be discounted by $12 and the $40 item will be discounted by $8, which gives a total discount of $20. If either item is returned, the return value will be equal to the original purchase price reduced by its prorated discount.

SoleSurvivor

Oct 27, 2017
It's their return policy. It literally says on the receipt what each item's return value is when you buy things with a sale like this. It's not some trick or abuse of their system.

In fact here's their official return policy on such a sale:

It would appear that I'm correct based on that though. If you only return one item, you don't get the full amount you spent on that item back according to the amount paid on the receipt. They prorate it to compensate for the promo and not all items being returned.

Darknight

Oct 25, 2017
It would appear that I'm correct based on that though. If you only return one item, you don't get the full amount you spent on that item back according to the amount paid on the receipt. They prorate it to compensate for the promo and not all items being returned.

No, because you were responding to someone who said if you want 2 games out of 3 games, you can keep those two for a total of $80. A buy 2, get 1 on three $60 games would be $120 total or $40 each. So what that poster was saying was if you wanted to keep two, you would be able to get those two for $40 each. You tried to dispute that as being fraud when it's Target's policy as I just posted it to you. You aren't correct to who you were responding to initially.

Oct 25, 2017
Arizona
It's a feature, not a bug. It's not considered "fraud" because that's just how Target does BOGO offers. They prorate the value of the free item across all items that are part of the offer, and the offer terms explicitly state how returns/cancelations* will work with that in mind. If you buy 3 $60 games, the receipt shows that you received a $20 promo discount on each, and whether returned or kept the value of each item will reflect that promo price. You can even see it clearly on the receipt itself.

I think you're misreading the situation anyway. This isn't like you buy 2 games, get 1 free, return the 2 and somehow keep a free game or whatever nonsense. Since the offer is prorated, you're not really "cheating the system" like that, you're literally just buying 1 or 2 games for 33% rather than 3 at the exact same discount.

*cancelation is key btw, as you can literally just place an order for pick-up/drive-up/delivery and then immediately cancel whichever items you don't want to skip the return altogether. Just make sure everything's equal value so you're maximizing savings.

Last edited:

Darknight

Oct 25, 2017
Selection seems a bit weak. As expected most Nintendo first party aren't included, the Sony first party games people want aren't included, surprisingly very few preorders (yes I know it excludes preorders, but the sales for the last few years have always included some), and most things worthwhile to consider getting have been cheaper not that long ago.

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
In regards to which Nintendo-published games are eligible, I counted only three:

-Astral Chain ($59.99)
-Tokyo Mirage Sessions: #FE Encore ($59.99)
-Xenoblade Chronicles Definitive Edition ($43.99)

Currently #FE is cheaper on its own at Amazon.

Thorn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
In regards to which Nintendo-published games are eligible, I counted only three:

-Astral Chain ($59.99)
-Tokyo Mirage Sessions: #FE Encore ($59.99)
-Xenoblade Chronicles Definitive Edition ($43.99)

Currently #FE is cheaper on its own at Amazon.
God Nintendo's stinginess with its games is infuriating.

Le Dude

May 16, 2018
USA
Sometimes they allow pre-orders so I was really hoping Monster Hunter Rise would be eligible (it's not), ah well.

VinFTW

Oct 25, 2017
Kind of a lame sale, Immortals AND 13 Sentinels are $60 each. They were JUST on sale for $30 recently, will probably just wait for them to go on sale again rather than doing this.

dom

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Kind of a lame sale, Immortals AND 13 Sentinels are $60 each. They were JUST on sale for $30 recently, will probably just wait for them to go on sale again rather than doing this.
Thing with 13 Sentinels is that is a game that won't have as much made and might not go on sale for $30 again before it completely sells out. It's current $40 at Best Buy