• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Xterrian

Apr 20, 2018
www.google.com

Target will stop selling Pokémon cards in stores

They can still be found on the retailer’s website

Hard to fault them I think. I'm sure they'd love the business but they're definitely afraid of incidents happening due to someone wanting the last pack or some shit.

It still sucks though that they'll be even harder to find. Absolutely no where around me has any Pokemon cards. Yu-gi-oh is left with only structure decks too. Magic seems to be the only one well-stacked.

Pull a shadowless Holo Charizard and accidentally rip it if old.

DarthWoo

Oct 27, 2017
I'll just remember with fondness the times when a booster pack of whatever was around $2.50 and a starter was maybe $10 at the upper end. Stuff got crazy since the last time I played any of these. The last thing I ever bought was a booster pack of Deciper's Star Wars CCG Death Star II expansion. Got a Luke Skywalker, Jedi Knight card and eBayed it for $40ish I think.

Maple

Oct 27, 2017
So why have Pokemon cards become massively popular again? Is it genuine interest in collecting the cards and playing the game, or just a bunch of opportunists looking to capitalize and make money?

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
My Target stopped selling them at least a year ago, way before the collecting boom started. I wonder if this was always the plan and the current trend just sped it up

So why have Pokemon cards become massively popular (again) recently? Is it genuine interest in collecting the cards and playing the game, or just a bunch of opportunists looking to capitalize and make money?

Like 40 percent A, 60 percent B

rpm

Into the Woods
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Parts Unknown
I had no idea there was such a frenzy around current, sealed product for Pokemon, I knew the old stuff blew up but I didn't know people were buying all the sealed product they could get their hands on. Crazy. It's only just people trying to pull rare cards and get them graded?

data west

Oct 25, 2017
So why have Pokemon cards become massively popular (again) recently? Is it genuine interest in collecting the cards and playing the game, or just a bunch of opportunists looking to capitalize and make money?
Scalping exploded during quarantine, and Pokemon cards were already getting popular again.

Very FOMO fueled.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Is there a shortage of paper or ink?

Why can't they just print more?

buttzilla

Sep 9, 2020
Good. Reading the horror stories on the Target Reddit about vendors getting stalked and employees getting harassed/assaulted, it was about time.

Oct 25, 2017
So why have Pokemon cards become massively popular again? Is it genuine interest in collecting the cards and playing the game, or just a bunch of opportunists looking to capitalize and make money?
Scalping Bitcoin bullshit bought on by youtubers so option B.)

It's not like people in the US are going out to locals to play the pokemon tcg in the middle of a relentless pandemic.

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
It's the comic book boom 2.0... people seeing an exploding value of gen 1 cards, so they want to get in on collecting now in the case that in 20 years they might be worth something.

Spoiler, they won't.

Pokemon company isn't going to risk bankruptcy by massively over producing at least (and the cards aren't the only thing of value they sell).

manzoman96

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
wtf is wrong with people. Feel bad for the kids who love looking through that section and bringing home a pack. Most of my sports cards were bought at Target back in the day.

DarthWoo

Oct 27, 2017
You bought *one* pack of DS2 and got Luke Skywalker, Jedi Knight?? Am I reading this correctly? Please don't take this personally but I kind of hate you right now
Yeah. It was at a comic book store in State College, PA my last year there. I knew I was likely never going to actually play again, but just wanted to see what I would get.

ThreePi

Dec 7, 2017
My only frame of reference for this is Jan's stories on the Bombcast, what is it specifically about Target that these problems happen? Do Walmart and other retailers not carry these cards?

You bought *one* pack of DS2 and got Luke Skywalker, Jedi Knight?? Am I reading this correctly? Please don't take this personally but I kind of hate you right now

My very first pack of the Dagobah expansion I got Son of Skywalker.

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
It's the comic book boom 2.0... people seeing an exploding value of gen 1 cards, so they want to get in on collecting now in the case that in 20 years they might be worth something.

Spoiler, they won't.

Pokemon company isn't going to risk bankruptcy by massively over producing at least (and the cards aren't the only thing of value they sell).
It's pretty much this, with the added "bonus" that scalpers can then just go on Mecari or Ebay and sell their shit at 100% mark up.

asmith906

Oct 27, 2017
www.google.com

Target will stop selling Pokémon cards in stores

They can still be found on the retailer’s website

Hard to fault them I think. I'm sure they'd love the business but they're definitely afraid of incidents happening due to someone wanting the last pack or some shit.

It still sucks though that they'll be even harder to find. Absolutely no where around me has any Pokemon cards. Yu-gi-oh is left with only structure decks too. Magic seems to be the only one well-stacked.

Pull a shadowless Holo Charizard and accidentally rip it if old.
I really wanted to start collecting Yugioh cards again but this is just mental. It's not worth the hassle.

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

Spoiler, they won't.

Pokemon company actually said they were planning to ramp up production quite a bit, won't be enough to outpace scalpers but that was a neat gesture.

Nah, more lime 10% A and 90% B.

Yeah, you're probably right. it has shifted pretty hard to B lately

Arkeband

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
I wonder if this will ever affect Final Fantasy TCG. I don't know if I'd want a billion sweaty, desperate streamers making the cards harder to find than they already are.

Thordinson

Aug 1, 2018

Spoiler, they won't.

It's not just that. A lot of the current cards go for a few hundred and you can easily resell tins and things for double what you paid.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017

They are the most profitable franchise in the world currently, overprinting cards are fine for them. And they have! There's been soooo many more defects on cards (not being centered, scratches, etc), that you can tell they are trying to pump the volume out as fast as they can. Buuuut considering the problem with resources, like card stock, and that doesn't make it any easier. They literally can't print fast enough to meet (the scalpers) demand.

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
I'm confused as to why sports cards are apparently blowing up, myself.

LeBron James rookie card sells for record $5.2 million (espn.com)
Mike Trout rookie card sells for record $3.93M at auction - CBSSports.com

Some big name rookie cards have recently sold for a lot of money, so now people are going crazy trying to get them because they think it will make them rich. It actually predates the Pokemon stuff and you have stuff like people camping out trucks and having their employee friends hide product.

Is there a shortage of paper or ink?

Why can't they just print more?
People are literally buying all the product up as soon as they are taken off the truck. Like one or two people buying out entire stores. This is also happening because of safety reasons

I wonder if this will ever affect Final Fantasy TCG. I don't know if I'd want a billion sweaty, desperate streamers making the cards harder to find than they already are.
Not unless the cards are selling for big money.

FooF

One Winged Slayer
Mar 24, 2020
Are people collecting these cards hoping they'll be worth something in the future? Like I get first edition gen 1 cards being worth something since they're extremely limited these days but the mass majority of cards coming out today aren't going to be worth shit in the future.

echoshifting

very salt heavy
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The Negative Zone
Yeah. It was at a comic book store in State College, PA my last year there. I knew I was likely never going to actually play again, but just wanted to see what I would get.

I bought those long after everyone I knew lost interest in the game, I just found opening them to be so much more exciting than any other game. Any time I found a main character, or a card I needed to make another card work, I would lose my shit. Reflections was even better...brilliant idea...but then they started making prequel sets and I totally lost interest.

I'm actually getting ready to toss my cards, that game didn't get caught up in this crazy boom and I'm moving into a smaller place, so away they go.

DarthWoo

Oct 27, 2017
I bought those long after everyone I knew lost interest in the game, I just found opening them to be so much more exciting than any other game. Any time I found a main character, or a card I needed to make another card work, I would lose my shit. Reflections was even better...brilliant idea...but then they started making prequel sets and I totally lost interest.

I'm actually getting ready to toss my cards, that game didn't get caught up in this crazy boom and I'm moving into a smaller place, so away they go.
You could probably make at least a little bit of something if you sold them as a bulk set, or give them away to some relative kid or something.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
Are people collecting these cards hoping they'll be worth something in the future? Like I get first edition gen 1 cards being worth something since they're extremely limited these days but the mass majority of cards coming out today aren't going to be worth shit in the future.

You should see how many Charizards came out in recent sets. They are trying to get them graded and sell them now because some people out there ARE buying them.

DemyxC

Dec 3, 2020
Making modern pokemon cards into meme stocks sure is something. Is this what they call late stage capitalism?

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
Can someone explain this to me?

I only play YGO so I'm completely put of the loop here

What's causing the sudden surge in Pokemon cards?