• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Menx64

Oct 30, 2017
I was expecting the reason being that brad pitt was in it. Are those hoes still mad after 7 Years in Tibet?

Everybody such be mad for such a terrible movie.

I didnt like the movie, and I believe QT only wanted to make fun of Bruce Lee, however banning a movie just because they are not willing to censor it is next level BS.

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
Probably because it's pretty much saying Chinese audiences have low attention spans and lack the societal norms to actually behave in a movie theater?
I guess it's the tone of it? Since isn't it usually western blockbusters with lots of action that do well in China?

I guess saying it's all they enjoy is stupid. I dunno, it's late and I'm tired.

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
Read what I quoted. I stand by my post.
You should read some stories regarding Lee. Even he himself admits he was arrogant when he was younger.

A fight with Bruce Lee really did happen on the set of The Green Hornet, between Gene Lebell, a stuntman for the film, and Bruce. Fun Facts about Gene: At the time he was a 2-time National Judo Champion, known as "The Toughest Man Alive"; he's kind of a big deal. At the time, Bruce was still figuring out what Jeet Kune Do was going to be, he wasn't the master hes known as just yet.

During the filming of The Green Hornet, Bruce was smacking the shit out of stuntmen and the stunt coordinator wasn't a fan of Bruce overdoing it, so he asked his friend Gene to step in. To say Gene and Bruce got into a fight is a misnomer, the fight started and Gene immediately put Bruce in a Fireman's Carry and ran around the set with Bruce on his back " making all those noises that he became famous for".

This was actually a pretty important moment in Bruce Lee's evolution as a Martial Artist. Until then Bruce had never really encountered much in the way of grappling, and his fighting style had no way to deal with it as a result. This also gave Bruce cause to not be so hot-headed and treat other people and fighting styles with much more respect than he did.

"Instead of being angry, Lee realised his jeet kune do style of martial arts – which, true to his idiom "be water", took elements of multiple different styles to create something more effective – was lacking grappling.

"I ended up working for The Green Hornet, doing a lot of the shows, and I got close to Bruce Lee and he came down to my school and worked out for over a year privately," LeBell said in the previous interview.

"And I went and worked out with him at his school. I taught him judo and wrestling and stuff like that and some finishing holds which he later worked into some movies, and he showed me most of the kicks and striking which even today I use in the movies. A wonderful, wonderful man and a great martial artist."
Gene Lebell being the guy who choked out Steven Seagal and made his shit his pants

MalcomFleX

Alt account
Banned
Sep 9, 2019
No, fuck Tarantino for perpetuating portraying Asian males as weak which has consequences on minorities in America. I made my point on this throughout the thread.

I admitted I was wrong about the censorship thing later in the thread, but my original comment was not in support of censorship.
That's not what he fucking did and you'd know that if you actually watched the movie instead of shooting your mouth off without any first hand knowledge like someone on Twitter.

Zhengi

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
That's not what he fucking did and you'd know that if you actually watched the movie instead of shooting your mouth off without any first hand knowledge like someone on Twitter.

So the minority people this affects don't have first hand knowledge of this? What are you trying to say? This has a direct effect on me and my kids based on the way society views us.

And I haven't watched the movie because I refuse to do that, but I have seen clips of that scene and Tarantino wanted the white guy to beat the Asian guy.

Balls

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Fuck Tarantino

if "Chinese influence" means not having to deal with Hollywood's constant bullshit portrayals of Asians and Asian men specifically then give me all the Chinese influence please.

Deleted member 19218

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I can show you the thread that was posted here on era.

https://www.resetera.com/threads/br...ther-in-once-upon-a-time-in-hollywood.132062/

Edit: This is my post in that thread.

So you're going to support the Chinese government as a result ? The same government that's influencing companies to self censor themselves and that's set up "rededucation" camps where people are harvested for organs? Just because Bruce Lee is portrayed as arrogant? Despite claims that actually he was arrogant in real life?

Disco

Oct 25, 2017
Fuck Tarantino

if "Chinese influence" means not having to deal with Hollywood's constant bullshit portrayals of Asians and Asian men specifically then give me all the Chinese influence please.

Chinese influence also means erasing tibetan characters and any critical eye towards their regime so get outta here with your clown post

Disco

Oct 25, 2017
Y'all keep saying this like theatres in the US are opera houses. Outside of places that actually disallow talking, phones, etc.--theatres here can get pretty rowdy/disrespectful, too.

Fond memories of trying to watch xmen dofp and having some lady beside me choke on her popcorn twice and spit on the floor and wipe her snot on the seat in front of her 😂

Pooh

Oct 25, 2017
The Hundred Acre Wood
Tarantino wanted the white guy to beat the Asian guy.

If a guy comes up and beats up Superman, the reaction is not, "wow, Superman is a fucking joke." It's "wow, that guy is really strong, he beat up Superman!" And in this film he doesn't even beat him up, they just spar a bit and get stopped before they can fight even more. Tarantino was building somebody who is essentially a fantasy hero character, and to do that he built him up by putting him against a guy everyone knows is a badass and having him give as good as he gets. But somehow that's an insult to all asians and it makes it great to support an authoritarian regime censoring a film. But then again you haven't even seen the film that you are happy about China censoring. Dude. Fucking yikes.

Ocean Bones

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
So the minority people this affects don't have first hand knowledge of this? What are you trying to say? This has a direct effect on me and my kids based on the way society views us.

And I haven't watched the movie because I refuse to do that, but I have seen clips of that scene and Tarantino wanted the white guy to beat the Asian guy.

White boy doesn't beat up Bruce Lee in the movie. And the fight and characterization of Bruce is inspired by real happenings. But no, go on patting a genocidal mass censoring pile of shit regime on the back because some idiot on Twitter told you Bruce Lee got beat up in a Tarantino movie by a white guy.

Anton Sugar

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
White boy doesn't beat up Bruce Lee in the movie. And the fight and characterization of Bruce is inspired by real happenings. But no, go on patting a genocidal mass censoring pile of shit regime on the back because some idiot on Twitter told you Bruce Lee got beat up in a Tarantino movie by a white guy.

Sigh. Once again, there was a considerable negative response from Asian/Asian-American communities on the portrayal of Bruce Lee in the movie that they saw.

I understand criticizing the fact that Zhengi didn't see the movie, but their complaints aren't being pulled from thin air. You didn't find it offensive? Ok! A lot of Asians and Asian-Americans did.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
That's a charitable way to put it.

Bruce Lee is literally only in the movie for two things: To make fictional white guy Cliff look cool fighting him that and to teach real white woman Sharon Tate how to kick.

That's no excuse to support the fucking Chinese government in censoring the movie, but it is pretty shit.

Zhengi

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
If a guy comes up and beats up Superman, the reaction is not, "wow, Superman is a fucking joke." It's "wow, that guy is really strong, he beat up Superman!" And in this film he doesn't even beat him up, they just spar a bit and get stopped before they can fight even more. Tarantino was building somebody who is essentially a fantasy hero character, and to do that he built him up by putting him against a guy everyone knows is a badass and having him give as good as he gets. But somehow that's an insult to all asians and it makes it great to support an authoritarian regime censoring a film. But then again you haven't even seen the film that you are happy about China censoring. Dude. Fucking yikes.

Well, let me put it to you this way and see if you understand where I am coming from.

Let's say Superman is one of the only positive influences in media for white people. There is no Peter Parker, no Bruce Wayne, no other white male superhero. And there is no more media currently featuring Superman cause he died off with his medium, but he's fondly remembered due to his positive influences and portrayal. However, now there are no longer any white males in significant roles and any who are are often portrayed as comedy relief.

On top of that, as a kid growing up as a minority, other kids and people have spent their life tearing down your positive influence. Kids are making fun of your guy for wearing his underwear on the outside and asking why you aren't doing that right now? Society has all these views on you based on preconceived notions that are entirely wrong.

Then you have this director come in and take on of your only positive influences and makes a mockery of it. One of the reactions to this scene was people laughing at the way Brad Pitt was mocking Bruce Lee. I hope you can imagine how this doesn't sit well with some of us as we have been portrayed in such mocking fashion for so long.

Now the way this has an influence in society is that Asian people are suddenly not good enough. They're not good enough to date, they're not good enough to break through the bamboo ceiling and promote to positions of power, and these factors affect the next generation.

So to some people this might not seem like a big deal, but this is something sensitive to many of us. Like I have mentioned many times in this thread, I don't condone what China has done with their human rights violation. As a matter of fact, I have family who are living in Hong Kong and China and I understand more than most what those policies mean.

Hopefully you can see the point I am making.

andrew

Oct 25, 2017

I think you may appreciate this article on the scene by Chinese American writer Walter Chaw (who is also generally one of the best critics around). I'll quote the key passage.
https://www.vulture.com/2019/08/on-bruce-lees-character-in-once-upon-a-time-in-hollywood.html
In the days following Once Upon a Time's release, it became clear that some people — maybe even some of the people I heard laughing in the theater — wished that Moh's Lee had thrown Cliff into the sun, perhaps after dislocating all of his joints and ripping out his heart in the process. But I would argue Tarantino's decision to have Booth fight Lee to a draw doesn't doesn't take the air out of Lee; it takes the air out of the constructed mystique that Lee was forced to maintain. That by allowing Lee to regain a portion of his humanity, Tarantino is offering a different, more generous kind of Asian-American representation onscreen. Watching Once Upon a Time, we are not operating under the fantasy that Lee never struggled against racism, or that he wasn't forced into an outsider role in Hollywood. Here, Lee understands that his status depends on a carefully constructed reputation for supernatural indestructibility. At the end of his fight with Tarantino's imaginary superhero, Moh's Lee says "nobody beat the shit out of Bruce." While some critics saw this as another example of Hollywood doing its best to humiliate an Asian legend, I see it as a man doing his best to hold on to the key to the kingdom.
Just for another view on an issue that you feel is black-and-white.

Keldroc

Oct 27, 2017
Well, let me put it to you this way and see if you understand where I am coming from.

Let's say Superman is one of the only positive influences in media for white people. There is no Peter Parker, no Bruce Wayne, no other white male superhero. And there is no more media currently featuring Superman cause he died off with his medium, but he's fondly remembered due to his positive influences and portrayal. However, now there are no longer any white males in significant roles and any who are are often portrayed as comedy relief.

On top of that, as a kid growing up as a minority, other kids and people have spent their life tearing down your positive influence. Kids are making fun of your guy for wearing his underwear on the outside and asking why you aren't doing that right now? Society has all these views on you based on preconceived notions that are entirely wrong.

Then you have this director come in and take on of your only positive influences and makes a mockery of it. One of the reactions to this scene was people laughing at the way Brad Pitt was mocking Bruce Lee. I hope you can imagine how this doesn't sit well with some of us as we have been portrayed in such mocking fashion for so long.

Now the way this has an influence in society is that Asian people are suddenly not good enough. They're not good enough to date, they're not good enough to break through the bamboo ceiling and promote to positions of power, and these factors affect the next generation.

So to some people this might not seem like a big deal, but this is something sensitive to many of us. Like I have mentioned many times in this thread, I don't condone what China has done with their human rights violation. As a matter of fact, I have family who are living in Hong Kong and China and I understand more than most what those policies mean.

Hopefully you can see the point I am making.

I see and agree with the point you're making, and did long before you even made it. And I actually saw the movie, too. But this is not about that, no matter how much you want to make it about that.

Balls

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Chinese influence also means erasing tibetan characters and any critical eye towards their regime so get outta here with your clown post
Only clown posts here are the posts telling us to just simply accept another classic Hollywood portrayal of an Asian man. This time it being probably the greatest Asian American icon that we have.

Zhengi

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
I think you may appreciate this article on the scene by Chinese American writer Walter Chaw (who is also generally one of the best critics around). I'll quote the key passage.
https://www.vulture.com/2019/08/on-bruce-lees-character-in-once-upon-a-time-in-hollywood.html

Just for another view on an issue that you feel is black-and-white.

That's fine and I respect his interpretation of that scene. It doesn't make what I see any less valid though.

I see and agree with the point you're making, and did long before you even made it. And I actually saw the movie, too. But this is not about that, no matter how much you want to make it about that.

Well, I know people are trying to make what I posted more than what it was, so I'm not too surprised by the reaction. There are still posts quoting what I said on the first page without even looking at the rest of the thread.

And when should we make an issue that affects us heard? Should I take a number from the ticket reel of grievance and wait my turn as a good silent minority before I voice my opinion?

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
Only clown posts here are the posts telling us to just simply accept another classic Hollywood portrayal of an Asian man. This time it being probably the greatest Asian American icon that we have.
Damn, so you're all in on supporting the Chinese government because Bruce Lee had an even fight with a fictional navy seal?

Burrman

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
source.gif
Lol perfect

Tetra-Grammaton-Cleric

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I loved the film and consider it one of QT's best but his portrayal of Lee is rooted in an ignorance and misunderstanding of who the man actually was and what he was capable of on and off camera.

Now, obviously, I don't support China or their desire to censor the film but Tarantino fucked over Bruce for no good reason and that is monumentally unfortunate. To be clear I don't think his intentions were motivated by racism but the optics look very poor given that Bruce is reduced to a prop and bloviate that the lead can knock around to prove his badassary.

That said, I respect QT's unwillingness to censor his film even if I disagree with his creative choices in regards to this one particular scene.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
Have you stopped beating your significant other?

That's the type of questioning you're proposing.
That was a rhetorical question since his first post made it very clear that the answer is yes.

If I said that I've beat my significant other, and then you ask me if I stopped beating her, then that's not really a loaded question.

Squid Bunny

One Winged Slayer
Jun 11, 2018
I mean, it's not like this would have been an amazing cross-cultural hit in China? I don't see how Tarantino is doing anything incredible other than worming himself into a current topic.

Froli

Oct 25, 2017
Philippines
Thanks for the measured response.

You don't need to convince me how shitty China's policies are. I agree. I still have family in both Hong Kong and China. What's happening over there is affecting people I know.

I don't support China and their violations of human rights. I guess I jumped the gun on my first response because of my frustrations about the state of things here and the subsequent piling on didn't help, lol.

"GOOD JOB CHINA"

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, it's not like this would have been an amazing cross-cultural hit in China? I don't see how Tarantino is doing anything incredible other than worming himself into a current topic.
Chinese authorities didn't tell Sony what scenes were objectionable, but an exhibitor source said the movie's Oct. 25 release was "put on hold" after Shannon Lee, the daughter of Bruce Lee, filed a complaint to China's National Film Administration.

Balls

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
That was a rhetorical question since his first post made it very clear that the answer is yes.

If I said that I've beat my significant other, and then you ask me if I stopped beating her, then that's not really a loaded question.
To me Chinese influence doesn't mean the Chinese government. It means catering or appealing to the Chinese market which is made up of....Chinese people. Chinese people =/= Chinese Government.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
To me Chinese influence doesn't mean the Chinese government. It means catering or appealing to the Chinese market which is made up of....Chinese people. Chinese people =/= Chinese Government.
Nah, you don't get to pretend like you misunderstand what this topic is about. The OP is very clear about this being about the Chinese government, the post you replied to talked about what the Chinese government is doing to Tibet. This whole entire thread is about the Chinese government.

You straight up said you're okay with what they're doing if it means that this scene would get removed.