• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
I imagine there are a bunch of requests for records from Antioch currently being typed up by defense attorneys and law clerks.
pretty much any case she testified as an expert witness (or any cases she's been involved in) could review and request records

depending on the specifics of her testimony and how they related to the facts of each case, it could crack open a whole can of worms

Hyun Sai

Oct 27, 2017
It's been like this since the very beginning and will likely continue this way. It's just the way this site works. I have zero faith anything will change in this regard, especially given the multiple examples you posted of it happening before. Like many other posters, I've just learned to keep my mouth shut on sensitive topics and mostly lurk threads of this nature.
Complaining about moderation is also a bannable offense.

I haven't posted in threads about this issue until now because I know my skepticism about her claim most likely would've resulted in some kind of report and subsequent moderation. That's why the echo chamber tumbled along uninterrupted.

giphy.gif

Big Baybee

Oct 27, 2017
I never participated in the discussions about the allegations. She made her claim (which was vastly different from what she said last year) and it should have been investigated as fully as possible. Believing possible victims has always meant to me that they should be taken seriously and their claims should be investigated as much as possible. This fucking sucks. I hope there can be some positive changes on era when it comes to situations like this at least. One of my favorite communities was ripped apart. Sigh.

Ignatz Mouse

Oct 27, 2017
It appears she has several instances of over-inflating her qualifications?

She managed interns; she didn't do legislative policy work for Biden's office. She provided admin support; she was never a visiting professor.

She may have just used the wrong title. She always described her job as managing interns.

Oct 25, 2017
I never participated in the discussions about the allegations. She made her claim (which was vastly different from what she said last year) and it should have been investigated as fully as possible. Believing possible victims has always meant to me that they should be taken seriously and their claims should be investigated as much as possible. This fucking sucks. I hope there can be some positive changes on era when it comes to situations like this at least. One of my favorite communities was ripped apart. Sigh.

Believe women means we should take all claims seriously, not just take everything at face value. Unfortunately, many just don't want to accept that Biden is what we've got.

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
She may have just used the wrong title. She always described her job as managing interns.
The NYT article says this:
Ms. Reade also told the court that she was currently a substitute teacher but had worked in domestic violence prevention for more than two decades and testified in more than 20 cases. Her career began, she said, in Mr. Biden's office.
"I was a legislative assistant," she said, according to the testimony. "He worked on the Violence Against Women Act, the federal act."
Staff lists published in 1993 show Ms. Reade listed as a staff assistant, a different position from the legislative assistant job she cited in her testimony. Both titles are common in congressional offices, with legislative assistant indicating a slightly more senior post that involves working on policy. In multiple interviews, Ms. Reade described her duties as managing the interns, never mentioning any direct work on the Violence Against Women Act.

If this is what qualified her to be an expert witness that's really bad and is more than just using the wrong title.

RisingStar

Banned
Oct 8, 2019
I feel bad for people who will unfortunately be less likely to step up regarding their assaults but this just goes to show that any misinformation when caught, will have serious repercussions.

In the era of fake news, it's nice to see this being a punishable offence, granted I don't think it'll change the mind of many who do believe Biden is an alleged creep and predator.

Which is whatever it is at this point, look at who is the currently appointed president. Seriously though, people on this site really need to stop jumping to conclusions immediately. Even if they are right in the end.

Oct 25, 2017
Well, I guess we got our investigations and holes have been poked in her story re: Biden AND a pattern of pathological lying has been established.

In this case, I don't see how her claim can be taken seriously. In fact, her pathological lying might well put actual rapists back on the street because she posed as an expert.

Oct 30, 2017
She testified in 20 court cases?!

Oh man, the idea that maybe either innocent people are in jail or abuser/rapists might go free is horrific.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
This is not a great look and seriously casts a new light on Reade as this is dangerous and reckless behavior. Does it completely invalidate her allegations? I don't know. This is a tricky fucking situation. All that I can confidently assert is that lying as an expert witness is a terrible, terrible thing.

Driggonny

Oct 26, 2017
I don't understand why people think this level of scrutiny is bad for victims when the likelihood of an accuser having 20 instances of perjury seems highly improbable

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
I can only sit and pray this shit isn't true because the consequences of it being accurate are so fucking huge catastrophic. Like Jesus, this is a huge deal.

julian

Oct 27, 2017
She also lied about her role in Joe Biden's office. Said she was a legislative assistant (who helped draft the Violence Against Women Act) when she was actually a staff assistant.
It appears she has several instances of over-inflating her qualifications?

She managed interns; she didn't do legislative policy work for Biden's office. She provided admin support; she was never a visiting professor.
Yeeeaaaahh, it really feels like there's a pattern here.

And as somebody who once dated a pathological liar for months, let me just say it suuuuuuuuucks.

SJurgenson

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The problem is that you make a thread about it, and it gets locked. Discuss it in a thread and you get banned. Apparently folks have emailed mods about it and they're ignored. Where, pray tell, does one bring it up?

I don't know, but I don't want this thread locked. It needs to stay up so that everyone can see it.

TheHunter

Bold Bur3n Wrangler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So what your saying is me saying we shouldn't have jumped off the deep end and tried a Spanish Inquisition redux was a good idea?

Imagine that. For the record this is horrible as 20 actual rapist may go free now.

Joy.

And I'm sure she was only investigated this hard because of her allegations. So now I feel bad for any victims that come forward in general. Expect to have your past completely vetted and if you aren't squeaky clean, your credibility will mean nothing.
In situations where the only evidence is one's own testimony, unfortunately, all other people can really ever evaluate you on is your credibility. Serial perjury is difficult to ignore. It's conceivable that the allegations she made are true (though I personally don't think so), but her other actions should realistically preclude her getting the benefit of the doubt.

The allegations obviously prompted this investigation. Job one for reporters (and opposition research, etc., though in this case it's reporters) is drilling down on the people involved and getting all the facts. In a story with stakes this high (literally the fate of the country), no resource would (or should) be spared in trying to get to the bottom of things.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
Her accusation against Biden has some iffy stuff, she says she was asked to serve drinks but refused and was sidelined from the office but other former staffers say the office didn't have female staffers do that, men did it and weren't told to do campaign events where serving drinks would be most common.

The area she first suggested the incident took place seems to be incorrect or highly risky for a senator to risk in broad daylight.

One staff member says she was fired for job performance related issues, and her paycheck may support it.

In my opinion, this stuff does not directly affect the accusation, and she may have lied but without further accusations from other independent incidents, it's hard to take her word vs Biden when the incident itself seems shaky.
I was disturbed reading the allegation. I was concerned too we had a thread called "Joe Biden Rape Victim".

I'm not trying to slight the moderation, but I felt uncomfortable expressing my opinion on it, in case some people would say I was trying to discredit Reade. When it would be more about seeing it investigated further before writing that title, and waiting for more than the gifs of Biden being touchy-feely as well.

mugurumakensei

Elizabeth, I’m coming to join you!
Oct 25, 2017
So what your saying is me saying we shouldn't have jumped off the deep end and tried a Spanish Inquisition redux was a good idea?

Imagine that. For the record this is horrible as 20 actual rapist may go free now.

Joy.
And also if they're not all guilty, some innocents may have been put in jail based on faulty expert testimony.

Oct 26, 2017
I don't blame the Mods for the rampant banning that happened when this story broke. Put yourself in their shoes. If you ignore the cries to silence the doubters, you're accused of being soft on rape. Realistically, the odds that Reade was lying about Biden seemed slim. After all, who would lie in such a high-profile way?

Of course, now that we have the benefit of hindsight, we can say Mods were being too swift to ban dissenters. But playing the odds, they erred on the side of standing with the accuser in a situation where accusers are most often being truthful.

Can something be learned from this? Sure. But in the meantime, I'm not going to be too hard on them.

Oct 27, 2017
Oh man...

As a victim of sexual assault, I really feel an obligation to be supportive, even if I'd prefer to take things slow.

.... Though with how touchy Biden is, I guess it did seem believable to me...

But after more info on Reade kept being uncovered, I really wanted to take things slow.

Maybe something did happen.

But this might be a situation of "boy who cried wolf." Because of all of her lying, the time she did tell the truth won't be believed.
All of that sounds pretty understandable to me. I'm not saying that people shouldn't comment, or even that they should hesitate to comment because that would just just lead to a chilling effect. It's more that as time has gone on and more of these kinds of cases make their way onto the national stage I personally don't want to comment for a couple of reasons (at least at the outset).

First and foremost, often the accusations are serious both for the accuser and the accused, and have real life implications for them. I don't want to jump on a bandwagon dedicated to lambasting either of them and find out a year later that the individual I was being an asshole to was very likely innocent or correct in their assertions.

Secondly, I don't have any personal knowledge of either party. I know that just because a person behaves in a decent manner around one group of people doesn't mean that they can't be abusive towards another. And even if a person has lied about other things, it doesn't mean they aren't telling the truth about this thing. However, I'd rather give investigative reporters a chance to do their work and start piecing together stories and forming a consensus before firmly forming an opinion.

Even then, sometimes you still won't be able to find out what really happened. It's messy for sure.

Last edited:

mugurumakensei

Elizabeth, I’m coming to join you!
Oct 25, 2017
I don't blame the Mods for the rampant banning that happened when this story broke. Put yourself in their shoes. If you ignore the cries to silence the doubters, you're accused of being soft on rape. Realistically, the odds that Reade was lying about Biden seemed slim. After all, who would lie in such a high-profile way?

Of course, now that we have the benefit of hindsight, we can say Mods were being too swift to ban dissenters. But playing the odds, they erred on the side of standing with the accuser in a situation where accusers are most often being truthful.

Can something be learned from this? Sure. But in the meantime, I'm not going to be too hard on them.

should probably also look into reversing some of those bans too if they weren't temporary.