• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 4452

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's 100% bullshit. She's literally admitting to never getting a degree and instead claiming she has a secret one!
I appreciate trying to be fair to all involved -- but, it's pretty clear that Reade is the one lying here. A major university has verifiable records of who attended and graduated.
I'm not saying it's a 50:50 chance, just that it's either one lied or the other. One certainly sounds more plausible at the moment unless more info gets revealed.

ginger ninja

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So we're going to roll with gaslighting about her lying of educational records to downplay Biden.

Yay for whataboutism from pragmatic centrists!

The only whataboustism I have seen here so far is people bringing Biden into this and saying how he is still bad or liar or worse when it has nothing do with him and only with Reed being a terrible person.

Like forget her allegations for a second. This allegedly heinous lying means domestic abusers are you going to walk away. What a shitty fucking person.

Deleted member 5666

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not saying it's a 50:50 chance, just that it's either one lied or the other. One certainly sounds more plausible at the moment unless more info gets revealed.
A school would never lie about this, they have nothing to gain and it would destroy the school's reputation. Its unfathomable to even consider.

Arc

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I missed what happened but is this what led to the exodus from PoliEra?

It seemed that anybody that refused to brandish Joe Biden as a convicted rapist or were hesitant to believe every aspect of Ms. Reade's allegations was set upon pretty fiercely.

Not the first time this has happened here and yet people never change and are quick to judge. I'm sure I'll get shit for even saying this.

Cipherr

Oct 26, 2017
Will they really release criminals because of this?

Thats fucked up, but I guess when you think it through... they would have to right? Or give new trials, because whose to say any lie wouldnt have condemned those people.

What a nightmare. I hope its bullshit.

TheBryanJZX90

Nov 29, 2017
That seems like a serious problem with the legal system. If an "expert" witness can go around lying like that, what makes them "expert" at all? And why are they only discredited after they're caught lying? Seems quite inefficient to me, but I don't know anything about the US' legal system so.
I suppose you could have independent experts specifically vetted by the court, but that would create different problems like having enough of these people and ensuring they're actually neutral.

Instead both sides get an opportunity to hire their own expert and an opportunity to dig around the background of the other side's expert to try and catch them in a lie.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The NYT article is something all right. An incomplete transcript with no reference to a degree being conferred isn't going to cut it.

Indiana Jones

Oct 27, 2017
This is such an ugly mess. Kudos to the journalists who have gotten to the bottom of all this, as much as is possible.

Loud Wrong

Feb 24, 2020
Can you even imagine if some of those people were actually innocent and were put to jail? Luckily it is only 20 cases and not more.
Either way, someone's life is fucked up by this. If they were guilty, they're now free and their victims are victimized again. If they were innocent, they lost huge chunks of their lives. And if Tara really was a victim of Biden, its now going to be summarily dismissed by most everyone.

Deleted member 4452

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
[QUOTE

but Reade's claim can never be verified! She's claiming something that is literally impossible.
Well, yes, the onus would absolutely be on her to prove that she graduated if the university states the contrary. It just so happens that she didn't ask for or receive her degree for some convenient reason :/ Huh.

Wazzy

Oct 25, 2017
if you got away with it before, why not try it again?
I swear some people have never met compulsive liars before.

I knew someone who said their brother died when I could see a photo he uploaded of himself a month later. They also said their school blew up. These people do not give a shit about being honest.

Deleted member 135

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
With Reade having lied like this, built her life and career on lies, and even went so far as to commit perjury 20+ times, there is absolutely no way that I can believe her allegations against Biden are even partially true.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
there will likely be reviews as to how much the testifying effected the verdict, but I imagine if they wanted to every case in contention could push for a retrial

doesn't exactly mean people will walk free without further review, but it likely puts multiple verdicts into question

some might be overturned, some might stand, hard to say when its a case-by-case thing

chefbags

Oct 25, 2017
[
FWIW, the "BA Completion" on her transcript she showed the NYT appears to indicate she was in a program to complete her BA (see, e.g., page 26 of this document: https://www.antioch.edu/wp-content/uploads/2019/09/AUS-Catalog-2008-09.pdf), not that she had in fact completed her BA.

Yeah the fact she can't even send a picture of the degree is quite baffling. All this is just destroying her credibility.

In all of my life, not once have I heard of a "secret" degree. It literally makes no sense for that to be a thing.

SJurgenson

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

Yes, technically any one of them could be lying -- but it's essentially conspiracy theory territory to think that university representatives (past and present) are the ones lying here.

Garp TXB

Apr 1, 2020
I swear some people have never met compulsive liars before.

I knew someone who said their brother died when I could see a photo he uploaded of himself a month later. They also said their school blew up. These people do not give a shit about being honest.
Yes, it's pretty much an addiction.

mugurumakensei

Elizabeth, I’m coming to join you!
Oct 25, 2017
Whatever comes of it what does this have to do with the accusation against Biden?

i don't know. Why are you bringing up Biden in a thread on Tara Reade committing perjury and potentially have been responsible for jailing innocents and/or end up responsible for criminals being released on a technicality?

Hound

Jul 6, 2019
My only real question in this is what does it mean to be fast tracked to law school?

I have never heard of that, and it is extremely (giant red flags popping up) suspect. Interestingly enough, there are special circumstances where one can get into law school without an undergraduate degree, but my understanding is that it is exceptionally rare. I only know one person who did that, and my understanding is that his records were very closely scrutinized multiple times.

Br3wnor

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I suppose you could have independent experts specifically vetted by the court, but that would create different problems like having enough of these people and ensuring they're actually neutral.

Instead both sides get an opportunity to hire their own expert and an opportunity to dig around the background of the other side's expert to try and catch them in a lie.

As Prince's Rules of Evidence lays out, "the litigants set the rules" (paraphrasing but that's the gist) and honestly all you need to make someone an expert is presenting them and the other side agreeing they're an expert. It's not some magical thing, now if you don't want the person admitted as an expert you can fight like hell to discredit them, but otherwise you can lay out some credentials and the other side will either acquiesce or the judge will rule them an expert after they try to fight the qualification.

SJurgenson

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Whatever comes of it what does this have to do with the accusation against Biden?

It essentially kills them, unless official records/direct evidence appears that prove them.

Right now, all we have is he-said-she-said -- where he is a former vice president, and she's officially being investigated for lying under oath multiple times.

You are free to believe her -- and I support further investigation of the claim if new evidence appears -- but this ruins her credability, which was the core of the accusation -- as there has been no evidence beyond what she claims -- and what others say she claimed to them.

Arc

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Indeed. Depp ended up being the victim and there was no reflection.

Depp, Chicago Police (the guy from Empire), this happens constantly here and people catch bans and are labeled as racist, sexist or whatever for simply asking questions in good faith. Questioning someone's credibility does not make you a supporter of sexual harassment. Moderation policy needs to change.

schuelma

Oct 24, 2017
[

Yeah the fact she can't even send a picture of the degree is quite baffling. All this is just destroying her credibility.

In all of my life, not once have I heard of a "secret" degree. It literally makes no sense for that to be a thing.

Yea. I'm genuinely trying to be civil here because I don't want to get hit with a ban... but the fact that she seriously gave this to the NYT as evidence to support her claim makes me question her overall judgment. Like it literally disproves her claim.

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017

Thats fucked up, but I guess when you think it through... they would have to right? Or give new trials, because whose to say any lie wouldnt have condemned those people.

What a nightmare. I hope its bullshit.
The NYT story claims she didn't have any contact with the Violence Against Women Act, despite claiming to have assisted on it and I'm guessing that's what qualified her as an expert witness for these cases in the first place if this is true.

Pwnz

Oct 28, 2017
Places
Depp, Chicago Police (the guy from Empire), this happens constantly here and people catch bans and are labeled as racist, sexist or whatever for simply asking questions in good faith. Questioning someone's credibility does not make you a supporter of sexual harassment. Moderation policy needs to change.

I agree.

Take accusations seriously and investigate, don't assume guilt and pass judgement. It isn't complicated.

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

Credibility. She perjured himself in 20 different trials. If she could lie about basically her entire career and education, how can we trust anything else she says? It sucks, especially if something did actually happen to her, but the reasonable doubt is there now.

schuelma

Oct 24, 2017
Credibility. She perjured himself in 20 different trials. If she could lie about basically her entire career and education, how can we trust anything else she says? It sucks, especially if something did actually happen to her, but the reasonable doubt is there now.

it also casts her contradicting stories on Biden in a much different light.

bricewgilbert

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
WA, USA
User Banned (Permanent): Inflammatory accusations, hostility, and numerous prior bans for similar behavior
It essentially kills them, unless official records/direct evidence appears that prove them.

Right now, all we have is he-said-she-said -- where he is a former vice president, and she's officially being investigated for lying under oath multiple times.

i don't know. Why are you bringing up Biden in a thread on Tara Reade committing perjury and potentially have been responsible for jailing innocents and/or end up responsible for criminals being released on a technicality?

hmm I don't know. Maybe the above response? You know exactly what is going on here. Don't play dumb. This is a way to discredit her sexual assault claims. Why the fuck would we even be talking about her otherwise? You were all looking for any reason you could find. Even the ones that turned out to be bullshit. Maybe this one will, maybe it won't. It doesn't matter. Biden didn't even need this claim to be a piece of shit. His record on governing was already disgusting. He was already an absurd choice and now we have this. One of the most insane things to try and defend. Amazing.

ginger ninja

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is this creepypasta or serious?

I couldn't be more serious. You're the first person to mention Biden in the thread if I remember reading correctly and when this has nothing to do with Biden at the moment. This news establishes her as likely a terribly person in her own right. It's after that fact that it may also strengthen Biden's case, because again she has shown a pattern of seeming dishonesty.

PAFenix

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 21, 2019
Either way, someone's life is fucked up by this. If they were guilty, they're now free and their victims are victimized again. If they were innocent, they lost huge chunks of their lives. And if Tara really was a victim of Biden, its now going to be summarily dismissed by most everyone.

Pretty much where I sit. Can't believe that if this is true, that abusers could get freed or innocents may have been put away.

And I'm sure she was only investigated this hard because of her allegations. So now I feel bad for any victims that come forward in general. Expect to have your past completely vetted and if you aren't squeaky clean, your credibility will mean nothing.

She's potentially fucked up things for a lot of people. .........Damn.

Jer

Oct 27, 2017
This whole progression is why it's so damn important to let the real media vet stories before bandwagoning and drawing conclusions based on questionable sources. The reaction here to the MSM taking time to do real reporting was absolutely embarrassing.

Jarmel

The Jackrabbit Always Wins
Oct 25, 2017
New York
I just want to applaud the NYT for writing a vastly better article on this than CNN just doing a blurb.