• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The story doesn't seem to have taken the world by storm. So why investigate every aspect of her life? Just leave it be. Unless they find out she's a Russian agent of some kind I don't know if every single bad thing she's done should be a news story.

I mean that's the point cripple her credibility on the sexual assault allegations to make Biden look better. Even if she is telling the truth about that which I think she is it casts doubt over the whole thing.

Zelas

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just like with her allegations, I'm not going to jump to conclusions. God help her if this is true.

SolidChamp

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I feel bad for her because if this is true, no matter the outcome of the Biden aspect, her professional life could just flat out be over after this.

You'd feel bad for someone who manipulated and lied and endangered the livelihood of the people who are directly affected by her testimony? Because of her, a bunch of violent domestic offenders could have their convictions overturned?

She's a fucking liar. Pure and simple.

Why would the "where there's smoke, there's fire" analogy apply to Biden at the faintest whiff of there being something off, but this woman's credibility has seen a constant barrage of proven bullshit and people are still like "Well, I guess she's a liar and not trustworthy, but dang I feel sorry for her..."

Is this not the same woman who scrubbed her pro-Putin/Russia piece when it came to light?

There's not just smoke coming from this woman's camp, it's a goddamn tire fire.

rrc1594

Oct 25, 2017
I disagree. If she lied under oath and her lie had real world impacts on people's lives (we're talking imprisonment), how could I possibly feel bad about her professional life? It's built on a house of cards.

It's possible she was sexually assaulted by Biden and is still a terrible person (perhaps even a cause and effect there). People who have rented to her or entered business with her openly called her a con artist and were all very clear (with literal receipts) that she stiffed them of money.

What?

thewienke

Oct 25, 2017
There in lies the problem. Someone already said it it's essentially the boy who cried wolf.
No one's going to believe her and she could be 100% telling the truth because she apparently has decades long record of lying.

This.

Also important to recognize that an almost totality of sexual assault victims don't have a history of committing perjury. This is different than when they go the "he/she's no angel route" with sordid relationship gossip, sexual history, or even drug and alcohol use.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, I know a big spotlight gets put on people who come forward and influential people can basically manufacture dirt but it's pretty hard to believe her now.

Venatio

Oct 25, 2017
Not really. Even if she did lie to get into law school, she got into law school and graduated just like anyone else - and so her position as an expert witness is justified and this is all just a load of drama for the sake of attacking her character.

If special accommodations were made so that she could graduate safely, as she says, then all anyone is doing is digging into her personal life for dirt to vindicate Biden before his big election. Which is all this is really about.

The idea that people don't lie on the stand because they promise not to is kinda laughable, anyway.

Wow. I just can't get over your last sentence. It's like you have no idea how the court system works and how important it is to not lie under oath, but you just hand waived it all away like it's nothing.

Wazzy

Oct 25, 2017
Not really. Even if she did lie to get into law school, she got into law school and graduated just like anyone else - and so her position as an expert witness is justified and this is all just a load of drama for the sake of attacking her character.

If special accommodations were made so that she could graduate safely, as she says, then all anyone is doing is digging into her personal life for dirt to vindicate Biden before his big election. Which is all this is really about.

The idea that people don't lie on the stand because they promise not to is kinda laughable, anyway.
Holy shit at this post. Just total disregard for the victims who would be affected by this and downplaying the severity of perjury.

Gustaf

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
On the one hand, maybe this suggests she can't be trusted to tell the truth about important things, even under oath.

On the other, I almost feel like it makes the allegations she brought against Biden more likely to be true. She will have known that she'd be under horrific scrutiny, but she still chose to stand up and submit to the spotlight, skeletons in her closet be damned.

I'm not ready to dismiss her allegations because of this, but I suspect most others will, and it's far from unreasonable to do so.

the other 20 women that could have their abusers released be damned

B.O.O.M.

Oct 25, 2017
Bruh...WHAT?!

I sure hope this is false or a misunderstanding because if true..yikes! (I think this is a very appropriate time for that term). Imagine if those cases gets thrown out cz of this dumbassary?!

thefro

Oct 25, 2017

CNN did go to the right media relations person at Antioch University Seattle, Karen Hamilton.

And I would suspect the Antioch University person who told CNN off-record "there's never been such a program" was high enough up to know.

Anyway, some super-secret degree that you have to call the Chancellor to verify doesn't seem like it'd be worth much when applying for a job. You'd think something like this would come up when any company tried to do a background check and she would have fixed it at that point.

Reade also should be able to produce a legitimate diploma from the school even if there was some sort of paperwork fuck-up. You'd think that would come before the law school transcript.

captmcblack

Oct 25, 2017
Please, please don't let this be true - both for her, and also the people whose cases she was involved in with/via these credentials.

mugurumakensei

Elizabeth, I’m coming to join you!
Oct 25, 2017
Bruh...WHAT?!

I sure hope this is false or a misunderstanding because if true..yikes! (I think this is a very appropriate time for that term). Imagine if those cases gets thrown out cz of this dumbassary?!

yep and it can go many ways. There could have been innocents locked up for years on her testimony and there can be abusers released due to her being a key part of the conviction.

Jun 20, 2019
Seattle University isn't normally the sort of institution that would let you bullshit your way into their program. SU should have some record of the transcripts or at least collaborate the unofficial credential info that Reade's team provided.

And honestly, did the paper ask Reade about this before going to press? If not why the hell not? And would they not ask Seattle University too since her law degree was built on the bachelors from Antioch?

SJurgenson

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Well if you heard about it, it wouldn't be a secret now would it?

There logically cannot be a secret degree. If a university is contacted for the purpose of validating a claimed degree -- and they say no degree was given -- then what is the value of having gotten an unverifiable degree?

That doesn't make any sense. If you want to say you have a degree -- without needing it to be verifiable -- why would you waste all that time and money going to college when you could just say you have a degree without the time and monetary expense?

An unverifiable degree is worthless.

thermopyle

Nov 8, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
🤦‍♂️

If confirmed definitively, this is the kind of shit that hurts everyone the most. While we may never prove/disprove her claims, she's convincingly appearing to be an all-around untrustworthy person in her personal and professional life. At this point how anyone can take her seriously is beyond me.

Last edited:

Aadiboy

Nov 4, 2017
At this point it seems like every day we learn something new that harms her credibility. I don't know how people can stand firm in believing her when it's clear she's been habitually dishonest throughout her entire professional life.

Piecake

Oct 27, 2017
www.cnn.com

A complicated life and conflicting accounts muddle efforts to understand Tara Reade's allegation against Joe Biden

As Tara Reade was leaving her job at Joe Biden's Senate office in 1993, she told a close colleague that she believed she was being let go for an unfair reason -- that she was being terminated because of a medical issue she had been dealing with.

Yea, that does not look good for her at all.

She says she has got a degree under a protected program and was a visiting professor there, but the college denies both? yea...

mugurumakensei

Elizabeth, I’m coming to join you!
Oct 25, 2017
Seattle University isn't normally the sort of institution that would let you bullshit your way into their program. SU should have some record of the transcripts or at least collaborate the unofficial credential info that Reade's team provided.

And honestly, did the paper ask Reade about this before going to press? If not why the hell not? And would they not ask Seattle University too since her law degree was built on the bachelors from Antioch?

CNN asked Reade. She said she got a secret degree under the chancellor.

Zyae

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Mar 17, 2020

This post is embarrassing. An expert witness lying about their credentials even in a small way is a very big deal, people go to prison for life based on expert testimony. She is also a laywer and knows how important taking an oath is.

Aureon

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This.

Also important to recognize that an almost totality of sexual assault victims don't have a history of committing perjury. This is different than when they go the "he/she's no angel route" with sordid relationship gossip, sexual history, or even drug and alcohol use.
Yup.
Let's not pretend this is anywhere near the normal case of sexual assault accusations, because there's an immense difference between kitchen sink misdemeanors and ""immorality"" and Damn perjury

Can a person under investigation / condemned for perjury even testify in trials?

Juice

Dec 28, 2017
On the other, I almost feel like it makes the allegations she brought against Biden more likely to be true.

Seriously? Are people so dead set on believing alleged victims that all new information is processed through the lens of how it strengthens the merits of their accusation? What could be said or done to convince you she's lying?

Ambient80

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

This is such an awful take that it's almost impressive.

Oct 25, 2017

Deleted member 60295

User requested account closure
Banned
Sep 28, 2019
Even if it turns out she was lying, you did a good thing by giving her the benefit of the doubt and doing your part to help her story be heard and investigated.

Basically, as someone who's been trying to avoid coming down on one side or the other until more evidence was unveiled, I appreciate your avatar. I think it's a morally admirable thing to do, regardless of how the ongoing investigation unfolds.

Thanks. Cause I may have taken her side for a long while, but this was never about her specifically, as much as it was about a lot of the early bullshit directed at her. Regardless of whether or not any of her story ends up being true in the end, a lot of people were all too quick to dismiss her accusations, for reasons that I still feel were mainly political. And that's wrong, and I wanted to make a clear stance against the bullshit double standard that we should only believe women until it becomes inconvenient to our own causes. Not every woman is telling the truth, but EVERY woman deserves to have their voice heard. That's what #BelieveWomen is actually about, and Tara turning out to be a pathological liar doesn't change that one iota.

Jun 20, 2019
Women do have to flee from abusive SOs, by the way. And sometimes they have to change their identities and routines to keep themselves safe.

ScoobsJoestar

May 30, 2019
Not familiar with secret degrees - what are them and why would someone want a secret degree? I tried googling it but I'm not getting any results.

CannonBallBob

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
User banned (2 weeks): Hostility, trolling, bad faith misrepresentation of other members. Recent prior ban for same behaviour.
So we're going to roll with gaslighting about her lying of educational records to downplay Biden.

Yay for whataboutism from pragmatic centrists!