• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

infamous5445

Dec 3, 2019
twitter.com

A.J. Perez on Twitter

“Biden accuser Tara Reade (aka Alexandra McCabe) appears to have lied under oath about her educational background as an expert witness. Defense lawyers seek to get convictions overturned in cases where she testified. (Story via @maryrduan) https://t.co/nUolkFGjsH”

This... is kind of not good.

Edit: NYT Article about it
www.nytimes.com

Tara Reade Is Dropped as Client by a Leading #MeToo Lawyer (Published 2020)

The lawyer’s departure came after concerns over the expert witness credentials of Ms. Reade, who has accused Joe Biden of sexual assault.

Edit: Reade's lawyer has dropped her as a client.
www.axios.com

Biden accuser Tara Reade dropped as client by lawyer

The firm said the move was "by no means a reflection" on the veracity of her allegations.

Last edited:

Alec

Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 27, 2017
Louisville, KY
So she lied about her BA to get into law school, but *did* graduate from law school?

Last edited:

Addie

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
DFW
She may have lied under oath about her educational qualifications, and it appears her testimony never should have been admitted as expert testimony. If this is true, she may have caused objective harm to victims (if meritorious convictions are now overturned) and may have secured the convictions of innocent people. Here's the Deputy District Attorney, Elaine McCleaf:
"If it turns out Ms. McCabe was untruthful on the stand, obviously it would be of real concern to us to us," he says. "I understand the issue is whether she went to an undergraduate school or if she graduated, and if she didn't, it's a Brady concern. We would have to notify counsel in her cases and take a look at any misstatement of fact and determine if it was material in causing convictions."

According to the Chief District Attorney, Berkley Brannon:
"If there's a reasonable probability that the misstatement would have been impeached and changed the outcome of the trial, it's material and it means the person would be entitled to a new trial," Brannon says. "If it turns out she was untruthful in any case, we would need to find out how many cases she testified in. There's no list for me to go to look it up. We have to canvass attorneys and turn that up."

As a former prosecutor, this enrages me.

Last edited:

GYODX

Oct 27, 2017
Holy crap. I didn't think her lying about her credentials (which is a pretty bad look in itself) would be this consequential.

Deleted member 5666

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Jesus Christ. 20 domestic abusers may be freed because of lying under oath and falsifying college transcripts to get into law school:
" And given that she made the statement about her credentials under oath, it may result in a massive headache for the District Attorney's Office, as defense attorneys are considering filing habeas writs that could result in convictions being overturned if it's found that Reade's testimony influenced the jury's decision to convict. Vazquez and Ramirez were convicted and sentenced to life in prison. According to the transcript, Reade has testified in at least 20 cases in the past 10 years. "

Barbarossa

Oct 30, 2017
I don't see in there which credentials she is accused of having falsified?
It's in the article

When she took the stand, Reade was asked, under oath, about her credentials. Included in that testimony, according to an official transcript: that she had earned a degree in liberal arts from Antioch University. But in an extensive report by CNN published May 19, an Antioch University spokeswoman says that while Reade attended the school, she never graduated.

And given that she made the statement about her credentials under oath, it may result in a massive headache for the District Attorney's Office, as defense attorneys are considering filing habeas writs that could result in convictions being overturned if it's found that Reade's testimony influenced the jury's decision to convict.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
Holy crap. I didn't think her lying about her credentials (which is a pretty bad look in itself) would be this consequential.
I've heard of this happening before but with law enforcement, where an officer falsifying evidence basically put all of their previous cases that went to court into question

Davilmar

Oct 27, 2017
Not sure how to feel about this with regards to her credibility as someone who alleged sexual assault, but the lying under oath regarding her qualifications is horrifying. Assuming these accusations are true, they are both damning of her personally and consequential of trials that were decided on her doctored qualifications.

Deleted member 5666

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If she perjured herself by lying about her credentials, she misled jurors, duped the District Attorney's Office, perpetrated a fraud on the court and got paid for it, Pernik adds. "As officers of the court, we all have a responsibility to protect the integrity of our criminal justice system," Pernik says, "which is why we became so concerned and immediately sprung to action.

Kayla

Oct 28, 2017
I don't believe her anymore. Im a sexual assault victim and im sickened by all of this.

Commedieu

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
User Banned (5 Days): Off-topic derailing; accumulated infractions
Well this is a bad look. However.. Biden still violates little girls personal space.

lmcfigs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
expert testimony w/ an undergrad degree? even if she wasn't lying. is that really all it takes to be an expert at something?

GYODX

Oct 27, 2017
I don't believe her anymore. Im a sexual assault victim and im sickened by all of this.
I believed her initially (and I still think *all* sexual assault accusers should be presumed to be telling the truth until more facts come out), but yeah, I don't believer her anymore, either.

ratcliffja

Oct 28, 2017
Not sure how to feel about this with regards to her credibility as someone who alleged sexual assault, but the lying under oath regarding her qualifications is horrifying. Assuming these accusations are true, they are both damning of her personally and consequential of trials that were decided on her doctored qualifications.
To me, more than speaking to her integrity (as even pathological liars could be raped), it offers a very credible reason for why she might have been fired, along with her alleged check fraud.

Tara Reade responds about her credentials

Deleted member 16657

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Reached for comment by the Weekly, Reade says that the CNN reporting is incorrect, and that the statement from Antioch University is incomplete. She says that her degree From Antioch University in Seattle was conferred under special circumstances by former Chancellor Toni Murdoch. Reade had recently changed her identity following the separation from what she describes as a deeply abusive ex-husband. In order to fulfill her graduation requirements Reade says she had to present coursework completed prior to her identity change. Her account is corroborated by an unofficial transcript from the Seattle University School of Law, which lists Antioch University as Reade's prior degree granting institution. The Weekly is seeking comment from Antioch University and will update the story accordingly.

Gonna wait to hear what the university says.

Davilmar

Oct 27, 2017
To me, more than speaking to her integrity (as even pathological liars could be raped), it offers a very credible reason for why she might have been fired, along with her alleged check fraud.

This was also my speculation, but since there is so much about her time working for Joe Biden that we have little concrete details on (including her firing), I didn't want to make that statement. However, this is very damning on credibility and that's already tough for victims like myself and others.

Addie

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
DFW
Here's the thing. You can't just have someone offer their opinion in a criminal trial. Experts can. "Expert witness" is indeed a term of art, and it means someone possesses special knowledge about a matter at issue in a case.

If you put on your CSI hat, think an expert who can describe how gunshots might create certain kind of blood splatter marks. Or scientists who can talk about DNA matching.

Experts must be qualified before they are permitted to offer testimony. The party claiming their witness is an expert must demonstrate that the witness has knowledge, skill, experience, training, or education to help the tier of fact (judge or jury) resolve the case. And they may offer their opinion ("Yes, I think the DNA matches") on those scientific things.

Lay witnesses can only offer opinions on things that ordinary folks can perceive. Things like, "Yeah, that car looked like it was speeding. I heard the engine roar, and it sped away from the school zone."

This is incredibly consequential because lying about one's education means it's unclear whether they ever survived the expert qualification stage.

Last edited:

Kyra

The Eggplant Queen
Oct 25, 2017
New York City
The story doesn't seem to have taken the world by storm. So why investigate every aspect of her life? Just leave it be. Unless they find out she's a Russian agent of some kind I don't know if every single bad thing she's done should be a news story.

GYODX

Oct 27, 2017
If this leads to overturning convictions, then either innocent people went to prison partly because of her, or people who were in fact guilty are now getting off the hook because of her. Just shitty all around.

Nov 13, 2017
"If she perjured herself by lying about her credentials, she misled jurors, duped the District Attorney's Office, perpetrated a fraud on the court and got paid for it, Pernik adds."

Mega yikes.

Tagg

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not a good look. Her credibility keeps diminishing.

Mar 7, 2020
USA
expert testimony w/ an undergrad degree? even if she wasn't lying. is that really all it takes to be an expert at something?

The issue isn't whether she has a degree, it's the fact she lied about one statement of fact under oath. If she lies about one thing, what else did she lie about? and if it's something so easily verified like her education....it makes her other testimony not reliable, and probably inadmissible.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Can't make much of it yet without further confirmation from the college but it's not looking good

WedgeX

Oct 27, 2017
That paper has updated the story since the OP posted it.

When she took the stand, Reade was asked, under oath, about her credentials. Included in that testimony, according to an official transcript: that she had earned a degree in liberal arts from Antioch University. But in an extensive report by CNN published May 19, an Antioch University spokeswoman says that while Reade attended the school, she never graduated.

Reached for comment by the Weekly, Reade says that the CNN reporting is incorrect, and that the statement from Antioch University is incomplete. She says that her degree From Antioch University in Seattle was conferred under special circumstances by former Chancellor Toni Murdoch. Reade had recently changed her identity following the separation from what she describes as a deeply abusive ex-husband. In order to fulfill her graduation requirements Reade says she had to present coursework completed prior to her identity change. Her account is corroborated by an unofficial transcript from the Seattle University School of Law, which lists Antioch University as Reade's prior degree granting institution. The Weekly is seeking comment from Antioch University and will update the story accordingly.

If Reade's degree turns out to be inauthentic, it may result in a massive headache for the District Attorney's Office, given that she testified about her credentials under oath. Defense attorneys are considering filing habeas writs that could result in convictions being overturned if it's found that Reade's testimony influenced the jury's decision to convict.

But no word from the university yet.

captive

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
I haven't read everything on her, but what I've read gives me the impression that's she's a conman.

She's changed her name 3 or 4 times in a 12 year span? Including her first name? That's suspicious AF. Leaving a trail over people behind her that feel betrayed or swindled. At some point it's a pattern and not an exception. she becomes less and less trust worthy as more and more stuff comes out.

Alec

Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 27, 2017
Louisville, KY
Gonna wait to hear what the university says.
Indeed.

ChippyTurtle

Banned
Oct 13, 2018
The story doesn't seem to have taken the world by storm. So why investigate every aspect of her life? Just leave it be. Unless they find out she's a Russian agent of some kind I don't know if every single bad thing she's done should be a news story.

Lying consistently to the justice system and interfering in multiple cases that are potentially going back to trial causing pain and suffering for the those involved is not a light thing that should be ignored both for those victims and accused. And these are domestic violence cases.

Oct 26, 2017
If she actually lied multiple times under oath then I think this case is done. Not because her allegation has been proven false, but because people will now easily be able to write her off as a liar. The water gets murkier...

But regardless of her allegations, this is profoundly appalling behavior.

DopeyFish

Oct 25, 2017

when you're quite publicly going after a major presidential candidate, one that you did work for... in the middle of a campaign... expect to have your secrets revealed