• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Jan 4, 2018
Tango Gameworks Is Xbox's First "Great Step" For A Larger Presence In Japan, Phil Spencer Shares
rectifygaming.com

Tango Gameworks Is Xbox's First "Great Step" For A Larger Presence In Japan, Phil Spencer Shares

It is no surprise ranking Microsoft to being one of the most prolific companies in the west in regards to the video game industry. An American-made platform that emphasizes it ambitions on its native audience, but also stretches out to… Read more ›
A subsidiary of its publisher Bethesda, Tango Gameworks is told to be a "great step" for Microsoft's aim to establish a presence in Japan.

I'm ready to go to Tokyo. Yeah, I mean go see Tango [Gameworks], a studio that I have such respect for the history of the creations there. I've talked for a long time about our desire to have more of a first-party presence in Japan. This is a great step there.

So I mean, just thinking about the map of where these teams are, and they just talk about all the games they're working on, but I can't wait to spend more time with the Tango team and get to know them.

As to what comes after, perhaps Tango Gameworks next game will be with Executive Producer Shinji Mikami at the helm. In a previous interview, Mikami tells he is interested in possibly directing one more game in the future, and that could be one that develops after the acquisition.

Last edited:

Masagiwa

Jan 27, 2018
giphy.gif

Chaos Legion

The Wise Ones
Oct 30, 2017
If Microsoft can replicate their success during the 360 days in terms of Japanese support and offerings, that would be great.

wwm0nkey

Oct 25, 2017
Tango was a great get, if they actually do get SEGA their Japan support will be nuts.

maabus1999

Oct 26, 2017
Weird world now that microsoft is heading to a bigger first party presence in Japan than Sony. It will be interesting how well game pass will be received there once Xcloud to mobile is fully fleshed out.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
I really hope they support the studio a lot. Extremely talented people in there. The Evil WIthin 3 has to happen

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
If only they could release some good games. TEW 1&2 have their moments, but they are really rough in many areas, and Ghostwire Tokyo went from "Oh, that looks intriguing" straight to "Oh, nevermind. It looks like a mobile VR game".

christocolus

Oct 27, 2017
Pls Phil, give Mikami all the support he needs to make his dream game.

regarding future acquisitions who could be next? Sega? Kojima Productions? 🤔 they definitely need some devs to handle JRPGs and a couple other genres.

DGenerator

Oct 26, 2017
Toronto, ON, Canada
Can't help but get a "corporate monopolization is good because it's on the platform I stan" approach when people support top 50 companies in the world expressing interest in gobbling up all the competition.

Gatsbits

Oct 28, 2018
Love this studio and I wish that thanks to Microsoft power Shinji Mikami and his team will realize high quality horror titles.

headspawn

Oct 27, 2017
I hope the hell they let him do a new IP.. I love The Evil Within but new gen, new game time.

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Give Mikami all the money that he needs for the last big game he talked about.

HououinKyouma

The Wise Ones
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Can't help but get a "corporate monopolization is good because it's on the platform I stan" approach when people support top 50 companies in the world expressing interest in gobbling up all the competition.
Pretty much this. Unless a company is struggling and could use an influx of money/support in order to keep making games (or perhaps make their "dream game") I don't see how this is good - regardless of whether it's Microsoft, Sony, or Nintendo.

Bessy67

Oct 29, 2017
It'll be interesting to see what MS does with a Japanese studio. Not that I think it'll matter much in terms of building a precence in Japan; MS could buy Sega, Capcom, Konami and Square and they still wouldn't be able to break in to the Japanese market.

Aug 23, 2018

Can't speak for everyone but it's more of being excited that talented developers having access to basically unlimited resources to create a dream project they otherwise wouldn't

Deleted member 1839

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Please be Noah

The team's bigger idea was a game called Noah, a sci-fi open world "survival adventure" inspired by the movie Dune. As the story went, it had become a challenge to live on Earth, so people started moving to different planets. And a group of people living in a colony lost contact, so a research group went to find them.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just waiting for the Shinji + Phil tweets, still cant believe it.

smocaine

Oct 30, 2019
Weird times, but I'm more than happy to see it.

Credit where credit is due, Xbox hasn't shied away from showing full-on anime-style games in their big, western press conferences. In a year where Sony relegated games like Gravity Rush 2, an actual exclusive to their platform, to a 1-second snippet reel, Microsoft was showing the likes of the Tales series, etc.

TripleBee

Prophet of Truth
Oct 30, 2017
Vancouver
With the Japanese console market seemingly not doing hot, and the push to PC for Japanese developers - now's probably the perfect time for MS to try and get some Japanese studios/deals.

Bonfires Down

Nov 2, 2017
Pretty much this. Unless a company is struggling and could use an influx of money/support in order to keep making games (or perhaps make their "dream game") I don't see how this is good - regardless of whether it's Microsoft, Sony, or Nintendo.
Well, the assumption is that Bethesda were struggling financially, and if they were to start cutting studios Tango would be among the first on the chopping block. TEW 1 & 2 probably did ok sales-wise but nothing special, and Ghostwire isn't likely to do much either.

Bizzquik

Chicken Chaser
Nov 5, 2017
Word of mouth matters.
If Tango says good things about Phil, more devs may be interested in being acquired - and Phil has said for the past year that getting more Asian developers on the payroll is a goal.

Really curious to see how the relationship between Phil and Tango develops...

gabegabe

Jul 5, 2018
Brazil
I hope Microsoft heavily invests in Tango Gameworks, they're a great studio. Ghostwire seems to be a great game and it would be nice if they make them bigger to be able to develop more than one project at the same time.