• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Mar 10, 2018
Not sure how this is a big problem. It's unfortunate, but it's not like the quality of the games will suddenly suffer because they can't make variations on pre-existing Mario characters.

RedDevil

Dec 25, 2017
This whole thing was obvious anyway. After Super Paper Mario, there were near zero Mario games/spinoffs that weren't forced to look and feel exactly like that generic ass NSMB template. Mario & Luigi's held on a little longer than others, but was then also downgraded. Some corporate cheerleaders kept handwaving it and ridicule people that pointed it out, but the evidence was always obvious. I'm kind of shocked Nintendo's finally said it out loud in public though.

The most disappointing thing is that Mario Odyssey seemed to signal hope. After the WiiU flopped with all its monotone Mario flagships and after they made Odyssey, I really hoped that this policy would've been cancelled internally. There goes that. At least other series like Zelda remain free...

Holy hot take Batman.

The NSMB template which people here seem to loathe was just 2D stuff in 3D, and even nowadays NSMB uses Kotabe's 2D artwork for promotional stuff.

Entryhazard

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Gool old Era ageism.

My guess is that it always was that but people pretended or thought otherwise.
The first game is called Mario Story in JP, the paper elements only started to happen from TTYD and even then it was mostly aesthetic instead of being the core plot. The Shadow Queen wasn't about being made of paper or other commodities

JB2448

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
I don't get why that SuperStar Saga enemy change stuff is getting passed around like a horror story as if they butchered every character in the game and not like, just a small handful because of the asset resuse with the previous two games. They even made a trio of new characters for the BIS remake's extra mode.
Thank you.

monali

Mar 8, 2020
Its designed to where at its core it makes no sense to do it. Why waste your resources in things that you come with stickers lost that could be used on longer or forced battles. Even in platforms you can get points and extra lives by dealing with enemies.

There's plenty of things you can do in games that someone could feel is fun but makes no sense. I could jump off a ledge in SMW over and over because I think the death tune is fun, but it makes no sense for me to actually do it from a gameplay perspective.
You are doing the same mistake over and over again, your counterexample regarding platformers is a poor one, because in Stickers Stars too you get coins, more stickers and special stickers that you wouldn't get anywhere else, your biggest mistake is that you can't seem to realize that the battle system in SS is, in fact, a fun system for many people and many reasons, I mean the irony in your next paragraph is that you dont seem to realize that many people don't tolerate turn-based battle systems period, in SS in PM64/TTYD hell even in classic games like FF, DQ it doesn't matter, you are trying so hard to prove that scientifically that SS battle system is an unfun, disastrous battle system when in fact it's not.

Dude, you are comparing people who engage with a simple yet fun battle system like in SS, with someone who does stupid shit to listen to a freaking tune, seriously accept that there are people who have fun with SS system for valid reasons and you shall have your answer.

Berordn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
NoVA
My guess is that it always was that but people pretended or thought otherwise.
the original game really had no references to the characters being paper, and the name mostly seemed to stem from the art style. there were some animations that kind of alluded to it, but it's never directly addressed by the world or characters

ttyd added the paper "curses" which were just another cute nod but it really wasn't until sticker star that it became an actual, tangible element in-universe

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
the original game really had no references to the characters being paper, and the name mostly seemed to stem from the art style. there were some animations that kind of alluded to it, but it's never directly addressed by the world or characters

ttyd added the paper "curses" which were just another cute nod but it really wasn't until sticker star that it became an actual, tangible element in-universe

Yup, now it's become super obnoxious about it

night814

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Pennsylvania
I would totally drop Mario then as IS and make an entirely new series. If Nintendo won't give them freedom they should do their completely own thing like Fire Emblem has been for them.

Papaya

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
California
Thousand Year Door will forever be a classic I suppose. One day I'll pick up Origami King and see if Paper Mario still has its place. Series lacks identity imo.

RedDevil

Dec 25, 2017

Super Paper Mario would beg to differ, specially the NPC design.

I would totally drop Mario then as IS and make an entirely new series. If Nintendo won't give them freedom they should do their completely own thing like Fire Emblem has been for them.

Have you considered that maybe they(IS) don't want to do that?

Zan

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if instead of modifying characters, they can do deep pulls instead. Like have a Subcon fairy from Mario 2 USA be a partner or have you face off against Tatanga and the Land mooks.

Or is there a "do not use" list inside the company?

Berordn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
NoVA
Super Paper Mario would beg to differ, specially the NPC design.
I'm not sure what about Super Paper Mario makes you say 'Paper' rather than 'first timer's Photoshop adventure' but alright.

SPM has a quirky digital aesthetic, all the way down to Mario drawing a cursor around himself when he switches into 3D.

KiNolin

Oct 28, 2017
This translation clearly is not wrong when there's like 15 years of Mario spinoffs blatantly removing original content further and further, unless it's disconnected shit like pencils as "characters".

RedDevil

Dec 25, 2017
I'm not sure what about Super Paper Mario makes you say 'Paper' rather than 'first timer's Photoshop adventure' but alright.

SPM has a quirky digital aesthetic, all the way down to Mario drawing a cursor around himself when he switches into 3D.

Really? You see Super Paper Mario and do not see "Paper" on its design?

CarlSagan94

Nov 3, 2018
Eurg, this aesthetic homogenisation really makes this world feel so much more boring and sterile than the awesome and charming costumes in 64/TTYD. One of the reasons I loved these games so much was seeing these characters in new and whimsical clothes.

Agent Unknown

Oct 26, 2017
Wow. All I can say is I'm so glad the only Paper Mario game I've ever played is SPM and that I'm not emotionally invested in this series at all, cuz yikes. It's also interesting that he mentions 'if fans like the new characters' so they're apparently not living in a bubble and are likely also aware of what PM fans are currently not happy about direction wise but just don't care.

Tanabe just seems really tone deaf in general and endlessly focused on dull, uninspiring game elements (see later MP games emphasis on the Federation and bland Hunters related characters). Glad he's not helming the core Mario games.

Last edited:

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
Something else that I noticed which was kind of apparent is that this all started seemingly as an internal backlash to Super Paper Mario. (and possibly other designs too from late 2000's Mario games) Man that upsets me because I'm not a SPM fan and that game definitely wasn't worth the consequences of what came after...

I also wonder if the lack of creative freedom is partly behind the genre shift away from RPGs because maybe they see the character restrictions as limiting for designing RPG party members and enemies, therefore go towards an adventure game?

Yeah my takeaway from this is really that Super Paper Mario just drove a bulldozer through this franchise and it never recovered.

I wasn't exactly its biggest fan before and now...

Oh well. I'll never get that supposed "return to form," time to make peace with that.

KiNolin

Oct 28, 2017
Just like it's "no longer possible" to use the Kremlings, right Tanabe?

or that it's "no longer possible" to go back to the original Chibi Robo's gameplay?

Fuck off with this. Why does everything this man touch end up controversial?

Don't worry, he'll finally reach out to fans and people will celebrate him for Sylux Prime 4, coming soon.

OP
OP
TheDinoman

TheDinoman

Oct 25, 2017
I get the feeling that Nintendo views TTYD/SPM the same way SEGA views the old Archie Sonic comic stuff

That's why they've both started over from scratch and now enforce stricter mandates on what can and can't be done with their characters/worlds.

Dymaxion

Sep 19, 2018
I wonder if instead of modifying characters, they can do deep pulls instead. Like have a Subcon fairy from Mario 2 USA be a partner or have you face off against Tatanga and the Land mooks.

Or is there a "do not use" list inside the company?
If they put Super Mario Land on a do not use list, I would be mad. There's potential in that setting and those characters.

Plankton2

Dec 12, 2017
What you say is absolutely true.

I have a friend who moved to Japan that I talk to a lot, he works in an agency where the boss makes some pretty nonsensical descisons and no one argues really except my friend (he gets shut down and nitpicked anyway). He finds the work culture very frusrtating.

Yea it's the big elephant in the room that sometimes gets hand waved in disucssions by people who don't get it.

I would even say that this culture probably directly impacts studios like Retro, IS, NLG, even Monolith. They are part of Nintendo but at the same time outsiders, so their is a level of mistrust and hand holding that they feel needs to happen and can lead to frustrations. Hell I think NoA probably feels it the most in their decision making.

Berordn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
NoVA
Really? You see Super Paper Mario and do not see "Paper" on its design?
the game that looks like this in 75% of gameplay?
SPM_W1-1_2D.png

yeah, no. that's digital art.

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
The reception of Super Paper Mario's story in a club Nintendo survey was apparently very negative. They mentioned it back during the pre-release cycle of Sticker Star.

Iwata Asks

I was there for this game's reception and the general take was that the game's story was too long winded and broke up the game's pacing since text and cutscenes would just go on for seemingly ever. But like, no one was asking for there to be no story. People generally agreed that the writing itself was relatively good but the game was just paced poorly for it.

If anything I think this is an excellent example of how a user poll data can be misread and misunderstood without context. I guarantee that if you ran a similar poll at the same time about the first two games' stories you'd get significantly more favorable numbers.

Mashing

Oct 28, 2017
They should have just saved their breath an and sent a tweet that said: "Fuck you fans!"

Avis

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Not shocked by this at all, pretty clear Nintendo has gone full Disney with most of their IP's for a while now, with a rare exception here and there.

TheLastYoshi

Oct 27, 2017
This is pretty much the model that Disney uses for their own franchises, marvel and star wars included. You can probably do new stuff but need to go through rigorous approvals, Nintendo wants full control of the brand and how it's portrayed and developed.

J.Devesh

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Can Nintendo kill this series please? Because honestly what is the point in replicating but with paper the basic world/style of Super Mario?

Gosh, Odyssey takes a lot of freedom by creating a vast variety of locations and characters and with hats and dresses Mario change completely.

Moreover, what about Mario + Rabbids? That is a crazy crossover but it's... Ok?

I don't get it honestly.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Super Paper Mario's aesthetic was less "Paper" and more "Photoshop".

Naturally it's the worst looking game in the series as a result. I don't think "Geometry Mario" would've rolled off the tongue.

Deleted member 8752

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
If Wario wasn't created in the 90s, he literally couldn't be made these days. He only exists because they allowed those Mario Land spinoffs to be weird in their world building. Equally, who knows whether Luigi's Mansion could be made, if it wasn't already established?

Hopefully they revoke these policies when a good junk of the old guard retires.
No that's not true. Nintendo R&D made Wario.