• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

mreddie

Oct 26, 2017

https://www.abcactionnews.com/lifes...taking-place-in-july-with-new-safety-measures

TAMPA, Fla. — The 2020 Tampa Bay Comic Con will take place this July, according to event organizers.

The future of the event was in limbo for months because of the coronavirus pandemic, but got the green light to proceed. It will take place July 10-12 at the Tampa Convention Center.

The following safety measures will be in place:

Temperature screenings will be mandatory for all occupants prior to entering Tampa Convention Center. Those exhibiting temperatures above a certain level will not be allowed entry into the convention.
Tampa Convention Center has increased cleaning and disinfection procedures in high-traffic areas such as elevators and escalators, handrails, benches, tables, handles, restrooms and more.
Hand sanitizing stations shall be set through the pre-function space and high traffic areas at entrance points.
Interior occupancy of the exhibit hall, ballrooms, and meeting rooms shall be strictly limited, with one-way ingress and one-way egress of all interior spaces.

As if the con crud wasn't enough.

Lockdown if old.

Heynongman!

Oct 25, 2017
I bet this falls through. I have never been to TBCC, but I've heard it's pretty rinky dink and not super great. I somehow always end up busy that weekend.

Oct 27, 2017
They'll just have a thing where you have to acknowledge that you assume the risk of getting sick and that they aren't liable. Then hope and pray people end up going (which they will, and will get sick).

Davilmar

Oct 27, 2017
I'm from Tampa. Comic Com has always been hit or miss for me depending on the year. I'm sure as hell not going.

Dec 24, 2017
My friends are comics professionals and back when they came to C2E2 they were saying that Chicago would probably be their last stop during con season. They had cancelled their appearances at Emerald City which was shortly after. I can't imagine pros going to TBCC.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
This is the stupidest thing they could do. Mass gatherings shouldn't be happening for the rest of the year.

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019
This might be the dumbest thing I've seen today and I've already read multiple quotations from the President.

gdt

Oct 26, 2017
Yeesh

Imagine Covid rolling around this place. In addition to the bo

Surakian

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Oh no this is an awful decision. In general everybody always gets some sort of con flu after a convention. Now everybody is going to leave with con flu then two weeks later have coronavirus as well.

PanzerKraken

Nov 1, 2017
It's a crummy con, always has been, surprising they are going forward when all the other FL cons have decided to postpone and cancel till at least the late fall or winter.

At the same time, Disney and such are likely gonna be reopening around July and theres going to be far more people at the theme parks than this little con.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
My friends are comics professionals and back when they came to C2E2 they were saying that Chicago would probably be their last stop during con season. They had cancelled their appearances at Emerald City which was shortly after. I can't imagine pros going to TBCC.

If they lean a certain way and this is the only convention around I can see them going.

Oct 27, 2017
While it's a bad idea not to make masks mandatory...I have a fear that they would be useless in a dense environment (with re-circulated air) like a Con. This is asking for trouble.

MrNelson

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Assuming it doesn't get cancelled last minute, I can see a lot of the guests pulling out ahead of it. Hopefully that at least keeps attendance to a minimum if the plug doesn't get pulled on it first.

Jom

Oct 25, 2017
When all the nerd shit guests drop out they can just rebrand it as an alt right con and get way more attendees than they even had before.

Billfisto

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
Con-goers are already pretty disgusting as it is. There's no way guidelines will be followed, let alone that they'll actually do anything. Going to this is just admitting that you don't care about anyone and would be fine if everyone you know or love dies horribly.

Oct 27, 2017
A lot of folks in my little corner of Floriduh have just stopped caring. Went to Publix today and about half the customers were un-masked and browsing like we weren't in the middle of a plague.

But it's all good, Disney will reopen and we'll just ignore or hide the infection numbers

Oct 28, 2017
Covid -19 just waiting in the wings rubbing its hands together and licking its chops. I fear this is going to be a bleak summer.

MrNelson

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
What's wrong with the organizers of this convention???
If I had to hazard a guess, they may be waiting for the city to pull the plug on it so that they can collect insurance/not have to pay damages, like a lot of the other cons have been doing. It's still two months out, which might as well be an eternity in the current moment, so there's plenty of time for the situation to change.

Charpunk

Oct 25, 2017
As someone who goes to this most years, this is a giant fucking mistake of epic proportions.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
Considering Dice Tower Con in Orlando just canceled which is the same time period and a smaller convention, this hilariously stupid to try and do.

MrNelson

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
On the flip-side of this, another annual con that was scheduled to take place in the same convention center just a few weeks after TBCC has been cancelled

It is with a heavy but compassionate heart that we have made the decision to cancel METROCON 2020, scheduled previously for July 23-26, 2020, due to the continued concerns around COVID-19 and the impact the pandemic has had and will continue to have on the viability of large public events like ours.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"We got permission from the Tampa Convention Center and Tampa Fire Marshall!"

I'm not really sure if those are the people you need to be asking about whether or not you can host the convention. The convention center has a vested interest in you not cancelling, and the fire marshall is really only equipped to evaluate fire hazards as they relate to crowd size.

Grym

Oct 27, 2017
Is there anyone worthwhile that is going to choose to put themselves in the middle of that in terms of panels, celebs, artists, etc.? Who do they have lined up?