• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 1003

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If you live in Houston, my family restaurant in the heights will be selling them for pretty much the rest of the month. Again, family recipe, all made from scratch. It takes honestly like an entire day to make Tamales right.

I'm so full right now, but still scarfing down tamales. They're so good.
What's the best place in Houston? Also, I live in Austin, know any great tamale places here?

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
I am cooking the grill today, steak and hamburgers are now a christmas food

SweetBellic

Oct 28, 2017
Tamales are mediocre filler food, but great if you love filling up on a bunch of cheap corn meal. Everyone thinks their family's tamales are the greatest, but no, your abuelita's tamales are just as underwhelming. I need tamales to be as spicy and soggy as possible to even be palatable, but even then they generally feel like a waste of calories, and I say that as
someone who typically loves pigging out on Mexican food. The preponderance of tamales is one of the many things that annoys me around Xmas time, humbug!

thewienke

Oct 25, 2017
When I lived in Texas, I learned that you always take homemade tamales when offered to you and appreciate the hell out of them. If nothing else because they sound like the most labor intensive meal ever.

OP
OP

Deleted member 12790

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Tamales are mediocre filler food, but great if you love filling up on a bunch of cheap corn meal. Everyone thinks their family's tamales are the greatest, but no, your abuelita's tamales are just as underwhelming. I need tamales to be as spicy and soggy as possible to even be palatable, but even then they generally feel like a waste of calories, and I say that as
someone who typically loves pigging out on Mexican food. The preponderance of tamales is one of the many things that annoys me around Xmas time, humbug!

Sounds like you eat shit tamales if you describe them as corn meal and soggy instead of, you know, meat filled goodness. But judging from your attitude, you deserve shitty tamales anyways.

CatAssTrophy

Dec 4, 2017
Texas
Krejlooc I didn't know you were in Houston! Where do I go to partake in the tamales?

Side question: have you ever had tamales from those people that go around bars selling them from big plastic containers? Those are great in a drunken pinch.

D23

Oct 25, 2017
Yess fam! We had tamales last night on christmas eve! The wife is from honduras so we feast on central america tamales and it was soooo goooood

CatAssTrophy

Dec 4, 2017
Texas
Hell in my experience those are usually the best ones.

Yeah they're usually pretty straight to the point, and have that homemade quality to them.

I don't have any preference really, fancy, homemade, cheap plain stuff. So long as they have meat I like them. I'm not too big on vegetable/bean tamales. I wish I liked them because my aunt makes them. She brought some to my grandparents this holiday like she always has.

Sep 14, 2019
Yum
L33JHWd.jpg

Is... Is that potato salad...? With frijoles, rice, and tamales on the same plate...?

... Can I have some...?

thewienke

Oct 25, 2017
Krejlooc I didn't know you were in Houston! Where do I go to partake in the tamales?

Side question: have you ever had tamales from those people that go around bars selling them from big plastic containers? Those are great in a drunken pinch.

I too have been stuck at Little Woodrow's in midtown at 1am with horrible hunger pangs even though the squad said we'd leave and get dinner like 5 hours ago.

Sep 14, 2019
We didn't have tamales for Christmas this year. We don't usually make a lot of food on this day with New Years Day around the corner.

We used to have a lot of more come, but with everyone growing up (or growing old) and just doing their own thing, we end up having a lot of leftovers that we can't finish, so we just do less food now and go all out for New Years.

Yams

Oct 25, 2017
Tamales and pozole on Christmas morning after we open gifts is the tradition in my household. Woke up around 5 to start the pozole today. My family made around 200 tamales this year at our annual tamales making party

Supa Necta

Oct 25, 2017
As SoCal transplants in Buffalo we miss tamales. I found some halfway decent ones last week though.

ratcliffja

Oct 28, 2017
I'm white and I spend Christmas with my black in-laws, but my wife also has a Mexican aunt by marriage and a Mexican sister-in-law so we get delicious Christmas tamales. I never knew about that tradition until I married into the family but now they just taste like Christmas.

Xe4

Oct 25, 2017
I prefer "Christmas" (aka red & green chile) enchiladas myself, at least while I still reside in New Mexico.

But yeah, tamales are great on Christmas as well!

Man, now I'm hungry...

Deleted member 22750

Oct 28, 2017
someone slide me some tamales

I've got no access

The Wraith

Oct 27, 2017
Puerto Rican here and we have Pasteles. Unbelievably good. I love this time a year mainly for them!

Marin-Lune

Oct 27, 2017
I'm currently on holidays in Guadalajara for Christmas with Mexican friends, and had my first bunch of tamales ever a couple of days ago. OMG so good!

Y feliz Navidad :)

JohnsonUT

Oct 27, 2017
Best part of living in San Antonio is everyone you work with brings in their tamales and gives some to you. It wasn't like that at my Austin job. People in Seattle don't even know what tamales are.

Pickman

Nov 20, 2017
Huntington, WV
I will never be in Houston but all the Mexican joints here all suck and can't cook a tamale for shit. PM me that family recipe, OP. I'll keep it a secret, scout's honor.

bangai-o

Oct 27, 2017
Tamales is a year round food in my area. They are as common as sandwiches for me and my co-workers during lunch.

Menx64

Oct 30, 2017
Our family made tamales but we're Costa Rican so they're a different style. (And more delicious 😋)
I still like the Mexican style though.

joffT2c.jpg
Costa Rican here reporting as well. Mexican tamales are ok, but I prefer ours.
Coffee, salsa Lizano, a bit of bread and the beauty above... Food from heaven.

CountAntonio

Oct 25, 2017
My record is thirty tamales starting on Christmas Eve and going for about three days.

Now I only eat like 6 a day till they are gone. We make a bout 100+ since a lot of family comes over and we like to have more for the week.

itwasTuesday

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
My doughnut shop sells great tamales by the dozen. So anytime someone wants a doughnut that turns into tamale time.

Mr.LightMan

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
If you live in Houston, my family restaurant in the heights will be selling them for pretty much the rest of the month. Again, family recipe, all made from scratch. It takes honestly like an entire day to make Tamales right.

I'm so full right now, but still scarfing down tamales. They're so good.
Ain't that that truth. Honestly if the whole family ain't making them I not even thinking about making some. How much you sell the tamales for?

donkey

Sumo Digital Dev
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Heading back home to my fam in LA from the UK and absolutely requested they get some tamales from Portos for when I arrive today. Miss those bad boys soooo much. Add some Tabasco or some Los Calientes from Hot Ones and you got yourself a winner!

Lexad

"This guy are sick"
Nov 4, 2017
My family is full of gringos but we live on the border so it is tradition for us as well