• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

threi

Oct 25, 2017
Ontario, Canada
You know, I've often thought about making a thread on how AAVE drives American Culture, World culture, entertainment, politics, all the way to the FGC - and how much of this world owes it's 'flavor' to AAVE.

I'm not sure this board would survive said thread
Anyone who has grown up or has family from a Caribbean island knows this ALL too well. Some shit I hear people say today I've heard family saying since like 89-90...

That being said it would be an informative thread, but honestly I am beyond sick of the "As a European, *insert ignorant take here*" responses that plague this forum. A thread like that would be like moths to a flame.

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think most of the responses saying he shouldn't have hit the guy are missing the point, the guy was harassing someone doesn't matter if it was mike tyson or not and he fucked around and found out.

Will Mike Tyson recieve consequences from this? Maybe but the other guy got what he deserved and I don't feel bad about it one bit.

Valentonis

One Winged Slayer
Oct 8, 2020
The handwringing over the hit is especially weird considering that the guy is absolutely fine. He's got a few booboos but he's okay enough to make funny faces into the camera, the worst that happened to him is that he got educated on why he shouldn't treat Black celebrities like zoo exhibits.

KamenSenshi

Nov 27, 2017
You know, I've often thought about making a thread on how AAVE drives American Culture, World culture, entertainment, politics, all the way to the FGC - and how much of this world owes it's 'flavor' to AAVE.

I'm not sure this board would survive said thread
This would be an entertaining thread, just from a perspective of watching a lot of kpop fans minds explode.

Akira86

Oct 25, 2017
This would be an entertaining thread, just from a perspective of watching a lot of kpop fans minds explode.
I would just like to know where they think it all comes from

that's not just American culture, that's Black American culture you're digesting, baybee!

with the irony being the huge surge in european fans who show open hostility to black artists with some weird mix of stan-ship and i guess just plain racism

Cream Stout

Oct 28, 2017
You know...throughout the course of following this discussion, and hell even just being a mod on this site, it's not lost on me that most of the people advocating for the white dumbass to have free reign with his words tend to be people who are very violent with their language themselves.

Because Black people (I'm going to say minorities in general here) do have a "spicy" command of the English language. However, we're also raised with the understanding of "those are fighting words" and we govern ourselves accordingly, and we employ language accordingly. It's consequences that so many of y'all are trying to run away from. The simple notion of consequences.

Because I don't even have to do any searching of post histories or any shit like that. I can just look in THIS thread and see that a lot of the people who are upset at Mike Tyson here, also tend to default to very flippant and violent language themselves. And it seems like what you're responding to here is not just Mike Tyson, but the very idea that someone could take umbrage with your words, and proceed to knock your shit back. And that there could be a room full of people watching you get your shit knocked back, and the general consensus be "...friend, you had that ass whoopin coming."

WELP, that's the world we live in. Watch how the fuck you talk to people. Because Mike Tyson ain't getting nothing from me for this but a beer, a pat on the back, and a "nigga, I get it." And I ain't ashamed of that. Sorry.

And as an aside...you white folks LOVE stealing adopting AAVE, and applying it wantonly in your own discourse. In the last year, I've never heard so many white folks say "fuck around and find out" with their whole chest.

Well, what the fuck do you think the "and find out" means?

This is great and givese something more to think about internally.

Tater

Oct 30, 2017
From the article, it's interesting to me that the harasser in this case also asked for no charges to be filed. I had assumed he was trying to get a cash settlement or something.

I wonder if he had a change of heart, or just realized he had no case since there was plenty of witness that identified him as the aggressor.

GungHo

Nov 27, 2017
I wonder if he had a change of heart, or just realized he had no case since there was plenty of witness that identified him as the aggressor.
An aggressor on an airplane. Do you want to go on record in a court of law as being an aggressor on an airplane? Do you think that any possible upside really outweighs the downside?

Cipherr

Oct 26, 2017
From the article, it's interesting to me that the harasser in this case also asked for no charges to be filed. I had assumed he was trying to get a cash settlement or something.

Definitely the latter. Probably realized it wasn't going to work out and just took the L.

I'm glad though. Let the people upset about consequences seethe, and perhaps learn something.

Royalan

I can say DEI; you can't.
Oct 24, 2017
Well, I think there's a lesson to be found in all of this. Somewhere.

If you get on a plane and see a former heavyweight boxing champion sitting in a seat, minding his own Black ass business...maybe don't invade his personal space and be a belligerent asshole.

I dunno, just seems like pretty good life advice.

Tater

Oct 30, 2017
An aggressor on an airplane. Do you want to go on record in a court of law as being an aggressor on an airplane? Do you think that any possible upside really outweighs the downside?
I wouldn't know, I don't harass people on airplanes. Especially people that can turn me into a fine pink mist if they so choose..

There were other news articles about the guy lawyering up like he was going to sue. And sometimes the court does reward assholes for being technically right, even if they're morally reprehensible.

Mxlegend99

May 20, 2018
Missed the thread earlier. But so happy Mike isn't being charged for this. The bloke was basically begging to get smacked by Tyson and got what was coming to him. Honestly the fact Tyson put up with him for 15 minutes is impressive.

The bloke is probably just happy to have a bit of a claim to fame by copping a few hits from Tyson. Not in a million years would i do anything to provoke a former heavyweight boxer. Least of all Mike Tyson. But if he hit me and i survived I would be pretty damn proud to brag about it