• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Big Baybee

Oct 27, 2017
Leave people the fuck alone! God I can't believe some of the posts here. So basically a lot of you think people are allowed to do whatever the fuck they want to do to you as long as they don't touch you. It's fucking ridiculous.

sfedai0

Oct 27, 2017
Whew lotta people taking off their masks here. Its clear the majority agrees Tyson did the right thing.

Oct 28, 2017
A person annoying someone else is not sufficient grounds for the latter to engage in violent retaliation. There were obvious non-violent solutions to the situation, yet Tyson decided the best course of action was to take matters into his own hands and engage in assault and battery, which, last I checked, is still a crime. Violence is only acceptable when it's in defending oneself or others from violence. "Talk shit, get hit" is something hot-headed teenagers believe in, but should not be considered an acceptable philosophy among adults.

Just because it's illegal does not make it wrong.

Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
so many white ppl in this thread just showing they have no idea what their privilege affords them in the real world.

you flip this situation and have a drunk obnoxious black person or visible minority who refuses to respect the personal space of a famous white person (fuck doesn't even have to be famous in this situation just white lol), and that individual will be immediately told to leave the person alone by the staff, and if they refuse possibly even arrested. It's even likely if the staff noticed that individual was drunk or somewhat intoxicated prior to boarding the plane, they would already be watching their actions in case a situation escalated. Oh but when it's the white person who is slightly intoxicated, nothing to worry about let that person go about their business, which I guess includes straight bothering a black person until he decides to remedy the situation himself and it becomes his fault.
you are putting words in the mouths of a whole lot of people

who has said that they don't think the airline staff should have shown the drunk off before the situation escalated?

that should have happened regardless of the race of the drunk

i am aware that it happens less often in situations like this where the belligerent person is white, and that is obviously not right. i don't think anyone in this thread thinks that this racial disparity is right

if someone is being a belligerent drunk and is antagonizing another passager, i certainly don't think the antagonized person is in the right when they try to solve the situation with their fists. especially not after they keep going for another 10 punches when the first would have been enough to shut the antagonizer up.

this glorification of violence is not healthy for a society. it is along the same vector of thought that leads to stand-your-own laws, road rage and good guy with a gun fantasies

Warhawk4Ever

Banned
Jun 23, 2021
Same folks condemning Mike would also condemn someone at school for defending him or herself with pepper spray when being attacked....

MrNewVegas

Oct 27, 2017
A person annoying someone else is not sufficient grounds for the latter to engage in violent retaliation. There were obvious non-violent solutions to the situation, yet Tyson decided the best course of action was to take matters into his own hands and engage in assault and battery, which, last I checked, is still a crime. Violence is only acceptable when it's in defending oneself or others from violence. "Talk shit, get hit" is something hot-headed teenagers believe in, but should not be considered an acceptable philosophy among adults.
Last I checked, abortion was now illegal in a few states. You gonna go condemn that too?

skillzilla81

Self-requested temporary ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
it seems unnecessary?

It's only unnecessary if you're privileged enough to not have to think about that every single second of every single day of your life. We don't ever get to ignore race.

this glorification of violence is not healthy for a society. it is along the same vector of thought that leads to stand-your-own laws, road rage and good guy with a gun fantasies

It's funny you point these things out when they have their roots in the oppression of Black people.

Jmdajr

Oct 25, 2017
LOL, right? It was like that Simpson's episode where Homer's brain just straight up grabbed a suitcase and walked out of his head XD XD

Lol thanks! It's just that sometimes people get pushed too far, and they snap. Like that video of that short kid bullying that bigger kid, and the kid just power bombs him because he had fucking had enough of the bully. My situation was reversed, in that I was the much smaller target, and the bully thought he could just keep picking on me like he did Freshman year, because i tend to have a pretty calm temperament, and was raised to not immediately resort to violence, and i can usually shrug off bullying and ignore it, but i had reached my limit with that jackass Sophomore year, and had to let him know what was up. Some bullies really won't back down until you knock some sense into them, and no amount of turning the other cheek is going to work.

I'm not condoning Tyson's actions (again, he's known to be aggressive and pop off), but I can understand his actions for sure. I just don't get why, drunk or not, you'd want to antagonize him period.
I remember that video of the kid being power bombed!

Yeah. In the end. I understand. Violence is never a step 1, but man.........I understand.

Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
It's funny you point these things out when they have their roots in the oppression of Black people.
the 'murican culture of glorification of violence is rooted in oppression of people of colour, yes. right to self defense and right to violent retribution was very convenient to provide excuses for ethnic cleansing of native americans and the stealing of their lands, as well as for the atrocities perpetrated against black slaves and black poor folks during the reconstruction era, into the jim crow era and until today.

it has led to cruel practices like the death penalty, individual rights to weapon ownership, and the police state, which hurt people of all races, but hurt people of colour disproportionately.

i can't speak for black people but i don't think that perpetuating these 'murican ideals rooted in racism is helpful or constructive, even in the minority of cases where the victim is white and the perpetrator is a person of colour

i'm not saying people shouldn't stand up for themselves, but i think it ought to be done in a proportional manner. celebrating disproportionate displays of violence in response to provocations only helps perpetuate 'murican violence culture

Last edited:

skillzilla81

Self-requested temporary ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
the 'murican culture of glorification of violence is rooted in oppression of people of colour, yes. right to self defense and right to violent retribution was very convenient to provide excuses for ethnic cleansing of native americans and the stealing of their lands, as well as for the atrocities perpetrated against black slaves and black poor folks during the reconstruction era, into the jim crow era and until today.

it has led to cruel practices like the death penalty, individual rights to weapon ownership, and the police state, which hurt people of all races, but hurt people of colour disproportionately.

i can't speak for black people but i don't think that perpetuating these 'murican ideals rooted in racism is helpful or constructive, even in the minority of cases where the victim is white and the perpetrator is a person of colour

i'm not saying people shouldn't stand up for themselves, but i think it ought to be done in a proportional manner. celebrating disproportionate displays of violence in response to provocations only helps perpetuate 'murican violence culture

Black people can't help perpeturate american violence culture because we are the victims of it. To twist it around and use what was created as a means to subjugate us when we stand up for ourselves is YOU perpetuating american violence culture. Thinking the white man, the aggressor, is the victim is perpetuating American Violence culture, because the black man was living his life until his peace was interrupted, forcing him to respond. Trying to protect the white man from the savage Black dude is American Violence culture.

And no, you can't speak for Black people, so don't. Just don't. All of y'all talking about this without the context and history that goes into every interaction of being black are perpetuating american violence culture, all to defend an asshole that was drunk on a plane getting in the face of a black man just trying to catch a flight. And this, like so many other defenses of white people, just tells all the black people what y'all are really afraid of is when we've had enough and hit back. That fear is behind so much culture, legislation, and every day life of America that entire governments do everything they can to make sure we stay too occupied just trying to survive that we can't do anything else.

krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn

I disagree. It's not really the forum, but I would argue

1)America was always an extremely violent place; it was founded on forced slavery, genocide of indigenous people, and a literal uprising. So not sure what glorification is when it's pretty inherent. Stand your ground are just codified laws of practices that always existed that law enforcement would turn a blind eye to.

2)The whole 'we need to be above violence' has more often than not been used as a cudgel to pacify those being oppressed. There's a reason why we've danced around privlege accusations; simply put a non-violent world that most enjoy is off the back of violence. The idealized suburbs are built on the police states of nearby cities. Pacifist European countries in 2020 were involved in nefarious colonialistic shit not too long ago.

3)To piggy back the above, minority groups don't really have the opportunity to avoid violence, even when not in a violent place. "Smear the Queer" as a childhood game etc. Its why a scuffle where both sides are not really much for wear and tear is called 'violence!' seems disingenuous in comparison to police violence, the trauma of slurs hurled at young children, etc.

And sadly; there's the fact that America's big changes, even the positive ones, are built off violence. MLK didn't swoop down, cure racism, and get flown to heaven by Jesus. He was murdered by a white America that largely did not like him at the time, but was terrified at what the riots would have eventually lead too (see my suburb comment above)

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
I disagree. It's not really the forum, but I would argue

1)America was always an extremely violent place; it was founded on forced slavery, genocide of indigenous people, and a literal uprising. So not sure what 'glorification' is when it's pretty inherent.

2)The whole 'we need to be above violence' has more often than not been used as a cudgel to pacify those being oppressed. There's a reason why we've danced around privlege accusations; simply put a non-violent world that most enjoy is off the back of violence. The idealized suburbs are built on the police states of nearby cities. Pacifist European countries in 2020 were involved in nefarious colonialistic shit not too long ago.

3)To piggy back the above, minority groups don't really have the opportunity to avoid violence, even when not in a violent place. "Smear the Queer" as a childhood game etc. Its why a scuffle where both sides are not really much for wear and tear is called 'violence!' seems disingenuous in comparison to police violence, the trauma of slurs hurled at young children, etc.

And sadly; there's the fact that America's big changes, even the positive ones, are built off violence. MLK didn't swoop down, cure racism, and get flown to heaven by Jesus. He was murdered by a white America that largely did not like him at the time, but was terrified at what the riots would have eventually lead too (see my suburb comment above)
i agree that the violence is inherent in 'murica. i'm trying to say that glorifying the inherent violence with phrases like "talk shit, get hit" helps perpetuate those toxic values that 'murica is built on. and i don't think that is good. i think the toxicity inherent in 'murican culture should be rejected.

i guess you're saying violence is inherent in 'murica, and so trying to reject it is futile, that trying to reject violence in a culture where it is so omnipresent only makes you a victim. that may be true. you are saying that political movements with at least the threat of violence may have been necessary to affect whatever small gains have been true. that is probably also true.

but pummeling a guy who antagonized you on a plane is not how you affect change. no positive political change can come from this. mike tyson hitting this person doesn't make him a black panther. if you're certain that protests and riots and the threat of violence are the the best path to affect change, then i think the targets of such actions can be chosen better than a belligerent and disruptive drunk on a plane

Last edited:

FFNB

Associate Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
I remember that video of the kid being power bombed!

Yeah. In the end. I understand. Violence is never a step 1, but man.........I understand.

Absolutely. I mean, growing up, my mom always taught me that violence isn't the answer, but she also taught me that some people only respond to violence. Especially when it came to bullies. Some bullies I was able to stand up to and even become friends with through words, and some bullies I had to knock some send into them with my fists, and, funnily enough, also became friends with afterwards lol

People are complex, as are relationships, but this ideal world of being able to be pacifist in the face of situations like this is simply not a reality. And as a Black man living in America, there's an added layer of complexity I have to navigate very, very carefully, because the consequences of the decision I make can be more than just a little serious.

I admit, I crack up at that video of the kid getting power bombed lol

That dark part of me is like, "Well, yeah, maybe you shouldn't bully someone, dumbass." I've known kids like the one in that video (both the bully and the victim), and bullies like that are insufferable, so when he got what was coming to him, I couldn't help but be like *shrug* "What did you expect?"

krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn
i agree that the violence is inherent in 'murica. i'm trying to say that glorifying the inherent violence with phrases like "talk shit, get hit" helps perpetuate those toxic values that 'murica is built on. and i don't think that is good.

i guess you're saying violence is inherent in 'murica, and so trying to reject it is futile, that trying to reject violence in a culture where it is so omnipresent only makes you a victim. that may be true. you are saying that political movements with at least the threat of violence may have been necessary to affect whatever small gains have been true. that is probably also true.

but pummeling a guy who annoyed you on a plane is not how you affect change. no positive political change can come from this. mike tyson hitting people who annoy him doesn't make him a black panther. if you're certain that protests and riots and the threat of violence is the the best path to affect change, then i think the targets of such actions can be chosen better than a belligerent and disruptive drunk on a plane

I would argue that 'guy who annoyed you' is an intentionally bad misread though; we know Tyson treated the man with kindness and posed with him, we know him and his friend were intentionally filming it and egging him on to apparently post it on the internet(the live commentary) while insulting him. We also have an unconfirmed but likely claim he threw a bottle at Tyson (hence the 'selfies to punches in the end). We also know that a month earlier a similar situation happened with an even bigger escalation (a gun) and Tyson talked it down.

www.tmz.com

Guy Challenges Mike Tyson to Fight, Pulls Gun at Comedy Show

Mike Tyson kept calm and carried on in one of the most terrifying of incidents involving a live gun at a comedy show.

To say it was annoy is disingenuous, and is a slipperier slope than whatever violence happens.

Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
I would argue that 'guy who annoyed you' is an intentionally bad misread though; we know Tyson treated the man with kindness and posed with him, we know him and his friend were intentionally filming it and egging him on to apparently post it on the internet(the live commentary) while insulting him. We also have an unconfirmed but likely claim he threw a bottle at Tyson (hence the 'selfies to punches in the end). We also know that a month earlier a similar situation happened with an even bigger escalation (a gun) and Tyson talked it down.

www.tmz.com

Guy Challenges Mike Tyson to Fight, Pulls Gun at Comedy Show

Mike Tyson kept calm and carried on in one of the most terrifying of incidents involving a live gun at a comedy show.

To say it was annoy is disingenuous, and is a slipperier slope than whatever violence happens.
i agree, my choice of the word "annoy" was not ideal

i will edit my post to change the word "annoy" into "antagonize"

Royalan

I can say DEI; you can't.
Oct 24, 2017
The person constantly using the label 'murica while displaying a significant and demonstrated ignorance of the very culture they originally pitched themselves to be somewhat versed in... Should probably stop.

It's saddening to me that this has become yet another example of a topic on the Black American experience where people simply refuse to just listen.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
User Banned (2 Weeks): Pedantry and Tone Policing Minority Members over Multiple Posts
The person constantly using the label 'murica while displaying a significant and demonstrated ignorance of the very culture they original pitched themselves to be somewhat versed in... Should probably stop.
why not quote me instead of subtweeting me?. is this request that i stop using the word "'murican" said in your capacity as a moderator? i will take a lack of an answer to this question as a no

i use that word to distinguish usa from the rest of america, which isn't rotten to the core to the same degree. i think it's bullshit that one country has made itself synonymous with two continents. using america in place of usa erases everyone else in the americas

if this is a mod request for me to change my language, i guess i could use USA in place of 'murica/america, but which word should i use in place of American? USAian is not a word. i find that the words 'murican and 'muricans fill an unfilled semantic niche

Last edited:

icyflamez96

Oct 26, 2017
Considering how crazy of a fan this guy must've been, you'd think he'd be happy to get punched in the face by mike tyson 😂

Oct 25, 2017
User Threadbanned: Drive-by, inflammatory generalization.
Wow people going to bat for a rapist in this thread Era is weird.

Mammoth Jones

Oct 25, 2017
New York
Wow people going to bat for a rapist in this thread Era is weird.

Nah. More like some of us are tired of seeing Black people getting treated like dogshit all the time and think someone who is free and paid their debt to society should be able to catch a flight without having shit thrown at them. And when they rightfully standup for themselves not get a bunch of finger wagging about violence.

But keep fucking that chicken, I guess.

why not quote me instead of subtweeting me?. is this request that i stop using the word "'murican" said in your capacity as a moderator? i will take a lack of an answer to this question as a no

i use that word to distinguish usa from the rest of america, which isn't rotten to the core to the same degree. i think it's bullshit that one country has made itself synonymous with two continents. using america in place of usa erases everyone else in the americas

if this is a mod request for me to change my language, i guess i could use USA in place of 'murica/america, but which word should i use in place of American? USAian is not a word. i find that the words 'murican and 'muricans fill an unfilled semantic niche

This is among the most willfully pedantic and ignorant dogshit I've read on this site.

In a thread about a Black man defending himself you come across as an ignorant asshole talking about "Merica". Black people don't talk like that so don't throw that bullshit when it comes to us. Thanks.

Now in a thread where discussions about how Black people in general are constantly mistreated you want to make this about how terrible America can be? Regarding national nomenclature? Word?

(An aside: I also can't help but notice how motherfuckers LOVE to get hyper aggressive with minority mods on this site. Well, I'm not a mod and y'all ain't slick. Fuck outta here with that horseshit.)

Have you ever just shut the entire fuck up and listen to someone that might not look like you?

If we HAD to do it since preschool, maybe you should at least TRY it. Really hear what's being said. Take it in.

Warhawk4Ever

Banned
Jun 23, 2021
The responses in this thread just confirm that many of the same folks who condemn our criminal justice system for attaching scarlet letters to ex-felons for life regardless of serving their time are also perfectly fine with never letting certain people have a clean slate even after changing their life for the better.

Last edited:

Rellyrell28

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
279078032_365340532305373_1258300060552296496_n.jpg

whytemyke

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
I was reviewing everything again and I kinda think Tyson was pulling his punches, too. More of a "knock this shit off" punch than "I'm going to wreck you" punches. Because if he was throwing anything but rabbit punches then that tool wouldn't have been making frowny face, "poor me" videos afterwards. He'd be getting stretchered off the plane.

Dec 4, 2017
User Banned (3 Days): Drive by concern trolling, account in junior phase
I hope all the people in this thread who thinks it's legit and justified to lash out and destroy the face of a guy just because he was an annoying drunk piece of shit for 15 mns instead of responding appropriately to the situation like grown ups are supposed to will never have children.

Because the poor newborns would problaby beaten to death within their first six months

Rellyrell28

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I hope all the people in this thread who thinks it's legit and justified to lash out and destroy the face of a guy just because he was an annoying drunk piece of shit for 15 mns instead of responding appropriately to the situation like grown ups are supposed to will never have children.

Because the poor newborns would problaby beaten to death within their first six months
Well this is the dumbest post in the thread so far.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017

At no point did it cross your mind that invoking babies being beaten to death was an unnecessary thing to do huh

RailWays

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

Because the actions of a newborn are equivalent to a drunk-ass grown man? Come the fuck on.

I'm convinced some of y'all have no concept of context

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017

1. He had a water bottle thrown at him by the guy.
2. GTFOH comparing some drunken asshole getting beat down to child abuse. That's sick.
3. We have people who post here that have actually experienced miscarriages and SIDS.

cyress8

Avenger

I have a feeling this post was not fully thought through.

Big Baybee

Oct 27, 2017

How would you respond to a drunk asshole fucking with you for 15 minutes?

Hu3

Oct 25, 2017

Total clown shoes 😂😂 Jesus Christ.

Kain-Nosgoth

Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland
I don't really care who did the punching, it's not about tyson, i never liked violence and i don't like how it's always praised on this forum... i'm not saying you can NEVER use violence, sometime it's pretty understandable even if i don't condone it, but to me this one wasn't a situation where it was warranted

Now try to imagine the same situation but the annoying drunk guy was a woman... would it still be okay to punch them in that situation? i doubt anyone here would support that... So why is it okay if it's a guy? Is it just okay because a man supposedly can take a punch?

Even though we know a simple punch can kill someone too, it happened already

Again i understand why anyone would be tempted to punch annoying little shits like that, and sometime it happens despite all the selfcontrol you have...
What i don't like is how many people are chearing on the move like it should always be done in these situations

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Some of you should be posting on Instagram with the amount of ass you seem intent on showing.

Mammoth Jones

Oct 25, 2017
New York

I'm going to teach my child to be kind, respectful, and hard working.

But also to defend themselves if someone attacks them. Not raising ethnic doormats….

Thordinson

Aug 1, 2018
EDIT: I was made aware that the guy Tyson punched was accused of getting physical with Tyson first (throwing a water bottle, etc.), in which case Tyson would be justified in retaliating physically. I still stand by my belief that "talk shit, get hit" is not an acceptable philosophy, though, and that violence is only justified when used in self-defense.

The problem here is determining what "self-defense" is. Is it only when physical violence is inflicted or going to be inflicted on someone? Where do violent words fit in here? Should I think that punching people like DeSantis who is actively hurting LGBTQ+ folks is bad because he isn't physically attacking them? Should I think punching Ben Shapiro for racist and transphobic rhetoric is wrong?

The "talk shit, get hit" philosophy isn't inherently bad to live by. I live by it. Not because I'm going around hitting people for talking shit to me but because I understand through experience that saying certain things could mean I get punched in the mouth. Just don't be a shitty person and you won't have to worry about being punched by people like Mike Tyson. Do I wish every situation could be solved non-violently? Absolutely but, sadly, it's not reality. Do I think Tyson could have done things different? Sure but that doesn't mean I don't understand why he did it. The blame for entire incident is on the dude who assaulted him.

Last edited:

Mammoth Jones

Oct 25, 2017
New York
I don't really care who did the punching, it's not about tyson, i never liked violence and i don't like how it's always praised on this forum... i'm not saying you can NEVER use violence, sometime it's pretty understandable even if i don't condone it, but to me this one wasn't a situation where it was warranted

Now try to imagine the same situation but the annoying drunk guy was a woman... would it still be okay to punch them in that situation? i doubt anyone here would support that... So why is it okay if it's a guy? Is it just okay because a man supposedly can take a punch?

Even though we know a simple punch can kill someone too, it happened already

Again i understand why anyone would be tempted to punch annoying little shits like that, and sometime it happens despite all the selfcontrol you have...
What i don't like is how many people are chearing on the move like it should always be done in these situations

What if they were both women?

Rampage

Oct 27, 2017
Metro Detriot
i agree, my choice of the word "annoy" was not ideal

i will edit my post to change the word "annoy" into "antagonize"

How about changing it from "antagonized" to "assault". It is white privilege that allow the drunk guy to be ignored by the cabin crew and get to carry on assault Tyson for so long without being kicked off the plane or duck taped to his seat.

Both the guy picking on Tyson and filming him should should be charged for harassment. Cause you you know if it was any other color of people, they would been handle by the crew long before it got to Tyson defending himself.

People calling for Tyson to be more restrained is BS.

Why didn't the white guy restrain himself? Because his white privilege allows him to get away with being an uncivilized piece of shit. He would have never gotten punch if he sat in his seat after getting a photo and autography and left Tyson alone.

Menchin

Apr 1, 2019
I must've missed the memo that said I'm allowed to harrass people and throw bottles at them free of consequence

Last edited:

Fonst

Nov 16, 2017
Dude fucking with Mike was no angel.

Mike did his time and mellowed the fuck out. Dude deserved that fist.

The annoying guy who didn't listen to Mike the multiple times he said to chill/stop looked like a douche and sounds like he is? Shocking. Some people will never learn until they get the consequences. The dude was conscious after hits so Mike evidently didn't hit him that hard.

Plus you know this idiot is just going to brag about being hit by Mike and saying it was nothing. Nothing will stop him from bragging but perhaps he getting thrown punches will actually stop him from being a douche to people.

AMAGON

Prominent Member
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX

Not sure if shit post