• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
OP
OP
Lowrys

Lowrys

Oct 25, 2017
London
Yea the person who said about it was on about when it's on sale like black friday. I've never really paid attention to them so not sure if that's possible. I have 5 4k tvs in my house you really cant go wrong with a decent one and it and doesnt have to be high end, you will still see some benefits of HDR.
Damn, can I buy one off you lol.

klastical

Oct 29, 2017
I can't link it right now but go to rtings.com and look at there guide to buying a TV for gaming. You will probably end up getting a TCL or a Vizio on the cheaper end. I have a tcl and outside of some bad dirty screen effect its great. You absolutely should get a 4k tv and it must MUST have good hdr implementation.

Your right not to worry about 120 fps because that's only available on top of the line tv's. When I was shopping I think I saw samsung has a TV that offers 120 fps on ONE input and it cost like $1800.

SP.

Oct 27, 2017
At the very least I would wait until the HDMI 2.1 software updates are out for the 2020 TVs so we know which ones perform best for those features. A bit silly to go out and buy one of those right now when we have no idea what bugs/issues some of them might have when the update comes out.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
Native 4K with good IQ @ something like 55" is a very nice upgrade over 1080p. You're seeing more granular detail at that point which previously might have looked more like noise. Combined with HDR, those two make a pretty notable upgrade on a new TV. Assuming you're choosing a set with good HDR brightness and response time, you can find some value-priced options for exactly that (including the bigger size).

This said, the option of higher refresh rates and VRR will be something you may want to factor in for this gen. This will up the price of what you're looking for, but especially if you're happy with something like a good 1440p display w/ 120+hz/HDR/VRR around 32", there are some completely reasonable options out there.

Remember that HDMI 2.1 will only matter for you if you're planning to be running 4K @ 120hz, and a 2.0 port will run fine at something like 1440p @ 120hz, or 4K @ 60hz. As others have mentioned, rtings.com is a great resource for both individual device reviews, and also contextualizing what some of these features/qualities look like.

scare_crow

Oct 28, 2017
Thanks, very helpful. Why even bother posting?
I'd argue that a lot of posts here are just as "helpful" as mine. It just seems better to say, "I'm looking to upgrade to 4K and need some advice" instead of, "Oh gosh convince me I don't need one!" It's like those, "Hey era, sell me on [Insert Game]" If you really need someone to make you not buy one, then you probably don't need one.

In any case, I actually do hope you find a good TV for what you're looking for.

OP
OP
Lowrys

Lowrys

Oct 25, 2017
London
I'd argue that a lot of posts here are just as "helpful" as mine. It just seems better to say, "I'm looking to upgrade to 4K and need some advice" instead of, "Oh gosh convince me I don't need one!" It's like those, "Hey era, sell me on [Insert Game]" If you really need someone to make you not buy one, then you probably don't need one.

In any case, I actually do hope you find a good TV for what you're looking for.
I just went for a thread title that sounded more engaging and interesting. Sorry about that.

Deleted member 27551

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Damn, can I buy one off you lol.
Haha 1 is for downstairs, my 2 sons have 1 each ready for next gen and I have 1 in the bedroom and misses uses one on a pc for craft designs. Like I said the main differences is night scenes with the better tvs and watching in a dark room will make it stick out more, especially films. Overall though it's a night and day difference going from 1080p to 4k and I convinced 2 family members it was and they upgraded and agreed.

OP
OP
Lowrys

Lowrys

Oct 25, 2017
London
I can't link it right now but go to rtings.com and look at there guide to buying a TV for gaming. You will probably end up getting a TCL or a Vizio on the cheaper end. I have a tcl and outside of some bad dirty screen effect its great. You absolutely should get a 4k tv and it must MUST have good hdr implementation.

Your right not to worry about 120 fps because that's only available on top of the line tv's. When I was shopping I think I saw samsung has a TV that offers 120 fps on ONE input and it cost like $1800.
Thanks. Sadly I'm in the UK so Vizio and TCL not viable options. European TCL models seem not so good compared to US. I have spent a lot of time on Rtings lol. Great site.

Ser_Luke

Self-requested ban
Banned
Apr 30, 2019
Worth it for the HDR alone, makes a huge difference in not just games but movies(I notice the biggest difference in metallic/chrome surfaces they really shine)

ElCidTmax

Oct 28, 2017
I have a gsync monitor and it's convinced me to get a VRR TV to replace my own 8yo Samsung TV. Personally I am holding out for 4k+hdr+HDMI2.1+VRR 75" oled or microled - which will be expensive.

If I was going on the cheap, those new TCLs are supposed to be quite good.

Deleted member 27551

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Native 4K with good IQ @ something like 55" is a very nice upgrade over 1080p. You're seeing more granular detail at that point which previously might have looked more like noise. Combined with HDR, those two make a pretty notable upgrade on a new TV. Assuming you're choosing a set with good HDR brightness and response time, you can find some value-priced options for exactly that (including the bigger size).

This said, the option of higher refresh rates and VRR will be something you may want to factor in for this gen. This will up the price of what you're looking for, but especially if you're happy with something like a good 1440p display w/ 120+hz/HDR/VRR around 32", there are some completely reasonable options out there.

Remember that HDMI 2.1 will only matter for you if you're planning to be running 4K @ 120hz, and a 2.0 port will run fine at something like 1440p @ 120hz, or 4K @ 60hz. As others have mentioned, rtings.com is a great resource for both individual device reviews, and also contextualizing what some of these features/qualities look like.
This is a good point about 2.0 and 2.1. Wasnt it just confirmed series X has 1440p support and I'd imagine ps5 would to.

OP
OP
Lowrys

Lowrys

Oct 25, 2017
London
If a game has an unlocked framerate and you play it on a set without VRR, does it just cap out at 30/60/120?

One of the TVs I'm looking at has VRR up to 120 but no HDMI 2.1.

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
There's no talking you out of anything, it's 2020 and there's no reason to still be on 1080p. Go get your TV, OP.

Sure there is. The selection of HDMI 2.1 TVs is pretty limited, especially if you don't want to go with OLED or are on a budget. Also, even worse is the selection of HDMI 2.1 AV Receivers is really bad right now. Those are two real good reasons to still be on 1080p in 2020 and into 2021.

If a game has an unlocked framerate and you play it on a set without VRR, does it just cap out at 30/60/120?

Edit: Misread. Yes, it'll cap out just like it does now.

shinobi602

Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Why would I do that? I've experienced a huge difference in picture quality upgrading to a 4KTV. They're great.

DontHateTheBacon

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
Grab a 4K TV. There's no reason not to. Especially if you don't care about HDMI 2.1, even though there are several TVs that already support it and some that will be updates to do so at a great price!

OP
OP
Lowrys

Lowrys

Oct 25, 2017
London
Sure there is. The selection of HDMI 2.1 TVs is pretty limited, especially if you don't want to go with OLED or are on a budget. Also, even worse is the selection of HDMI 2.1 AV Receivers is really bad right now. Those are two real good reasons to still be on 1080p in 2020 and into 2021.

Edit: Misread. Yes, it'll cap out just like it does now.
Thanks. One of the sets I'm looking at has Freesync, which seems to be supported on the new consoles.

justinsimonin

May 19, 2020
You should absolutely get a 4k HDR TV - but maybe wait until Quantum OLEDs come out next year- hypothetically these would be quite a big step forward for OLED (in brightness and color volume). I also don't understand the argument by some that 4K resolution isn't that big of a jump- in my experience it is very very noticeable- especially in gaming when you're constantly looking for details and movement in the game/ on the screen screen and controlling the camera yourself. Still noticeable in TV and film too but gaming even more-so. I would argue if you can tell the difference between 720p and 1080p then 4k is just as big of a jump - that's my opinion anyway!

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
Just wait a while, 8K is just around the corner. You'll be missing out on 4 times the pixel count! FOUR TIMES!

LakeEarth

Oct 27, 2017
Ontario
I've been rocking the same Sony Plasma for over a decade, and I obviously need an upgrade for the new consoles. So I'm showing my wife the X900H on display at Costco, and of course right next to it is a $3000 LG OLED and wants that. Clearly a better picture. Now the idea is in my head, and I gotta convince her and myself that we don't need to go that fancy.

Dirtyshubb

Oct 25, 2017
UK
If you can find a good TV for a price you are happy with, I would go for it.

I recently upgraded my cheap 50" 4K Hisense TV to a 65" LG C9 and was blown away by the difference. I thought my cheap 4K was great quality but popping in TLOU2 and Death Stranding and it was like experiencing them new and in a much more immersive way. Between the bigger size and the better picture quality (as well as OLED of course) I couldn't believe the difference.

Can't imagine going back to my old set or size now and the thought of swapping to a non 4K/HDR set is laughable.

Polyh3dron

Prophet of Regret
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If you get a non-HDMI 2.1 TV you'll be kicking yourself for it in a few years.

Darknight

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe. But XSX supports Freesync and that's my main console (well, it will be) so I should be good for MS and third-party games.

HDMI 2.1 is just starting now to spread to be common. By 2021, there should be plenty of choices for sets and I imagine by 2022 everything will have it. HDMI 2.1 is going to be one of the standard pillars moving forward that everyone should have. If you're looking to buy a TV now and you're not getting something with HDMI 2.1 with support features, you're really jumping into it at the worst timing when these are going to be very common soon and standard. Not having it now will mean you'll need to upgrade your TV sooner rather than later.

Deleted member 9241

Oct 26, 2017
Every TV in my house is 4k except my main TV (2x55" for the kids stations, a 75" in the living room, and a 75" in the bedroom). My new 4k just delivered (86", replacing my 75" 1080). It is literally in my media room right now in the box. I am waiting for a friend to come over to help mount it. I used the upcoming gen as an excuse to upgrade. I'm not gonna lie, it also bugged me a little bit that my kids had better quality picture than me when we were playing together lol. My old 75" 1080 will be my wife's station. Now we can all play together in the same room!

We'll all miss the 3D of the 1080 though :(

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
giphy.gif

OP
OP
Lowrys

Lowrys

Oct 25, 2017
London
HDMI 2.1 is just starting now to spread to be common. By 2021, there should be plenty of choices for sets and I imagine by 2022 everything will have it. HDMI 2.1 is going to be one of the standard pillars moving forward that everyone should have. If you're looking to buy a TV now and you're not getting something with HDMI 2.1 with support features, you're really jumping into it at the worst timing when these are going to be very common soon and standard. Not having it now will mean you'll need to upgrade your TV sooner rather than later.
OK, but if XSX supports Freesync then what else am I missing out on with HDMI 2.1? As far as I can tell it's mostly VRR, which Freesync does. Obviously I might be missing something.

ss_lemonade

Oct 27, 2017
Thanks. Sadly I'm in the UK so Vizio and TCL not viable options. European TCL models seem not so good compared to US. I have spent a lot of time on Rtings lol. Great site.
This was my problem too when I was looking for 4k TVs in the Philippines. Models across multiple manufacturers never seem to match what you can find in the US and if you did find one that had a similar model name/code, the feature set would be significantly different and a lot of times, much worse.

tomsawing

Jul 27, 2020
Yep I'm not necessarily buying it tomorrow, but there's no guarantee the model I want will go on sale tho.
But a better model still might go on sale for less. Black Friday sales are often to clear out last years' models, so the top end TVs are frequently 50% off or more at some point between Black Friday and the new year. If you're looking for a deal, that's what to look for, and the other models get discounted as well but usually not quite as drastically. Anyway, don't buy one at full price any time soon for sure.

Darknight

Oct 25, 2017
Ooooh, interesting. What model should I be looking for?

The LG 48" CX is always under $1500. The 55" right now is on sale for $1599 but I totally expect that to be under $1500 during the holidays. The LG C9s had fantastic deals during the last holiday season. I believe as low as $1099 for the 55" model. Vizio has a 55" for I think $1199 too but I haven't kept up with the reviews on their OLED line to know how it stacks up to the LG.

Nov 23, 2017
The LG 48" CX is always under $1500. The 55" right now is on sale for $1599 but I totally expect that to be under $1500 during the holidays. The LG C9s had fantastic deals during the last holiday season. I believe as low as $1099 for the 55" model. Vizio has a 55" for I think $1199 too but I haven't kept up with the reviews on their OLED line to know how it stacks up to the LG.
Thanks for this info. It's very helpful. How much would an OLED with all the needed features cost if it's 75"?

Darknight

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for this info. It's very helpful. How much would an OLED with all the needed features cost if it's 75"?

For something in that size range, you're looking around the $3500 to $3700 price point at the moment and you're limited to LG and Sony right now for those choices. I haven't followed that size in their pricing closely so I don't know what you can expect for holiday pricing and discounts beyond the holidays for those. I imagine they'll be under $3000 possibly though.

Nov 23, 2017
For something in that size range, you're looking around the $3500 to $3700 price point at the moment and you're limited to LG and Sony right now for those choices. I haven't followed that size in their pricing closely so I don't know what you can expect for holiday pricing and discounts beyond the holidays for those. I imagine they'll be under $3000 possibly though.
Appreciate the realistic pricing. I've been holding off on getting a 4k TV for years lol.

Milennia

Prophet of Truth - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
I've been waiting for the 48 inch to dip below 1500 for weeks and it hasn't a single time, the only time was recently at Walmart and it was still 1485 or some shit like that

Where are you seeing these deals on the 48 inch

CRIMSON-XIII

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
I want folks to understand that they don't need to spend 1000 dollars or more for a 4k tv. I bought my mom a 4k 55 inch TCL tv with HDR and dolby vision for black friday 2018 and I spent $260 or $270 on amazon the week before or after black friday 2018. The tv isn't like my OLED in quality but it works. I think some folks should consider more budget 40-50-55 inch 4k tvs. They work great and look fine. A 4k ps5 game is a 4k ps5 game. For 200-300 dollars, they are honestly giving the tvs away at this point. Of course though a 1500 OLED LG is a different thing altogether.

Darknight

Oct 25, 2017
I've been waiting for the 48 inch to dip below 1500 for weeks and it hasn't a single time, the only time was recently at Walmart and it was still 1485 or some shit like that

Where are you seeing these deals on the 48 inch

I see $1449 at Best Buy right now and I believe I've seen it there for less. Nothing below $1400 though. Based on previous holiday seasons, I'm expecting the 48" to go for less during that time period. However, if the set is popular enough we might not see it have the big discounts like the 55" and 65" have had in the past.

Milennia

Prophet of Truth - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
I see $1449 at Best Buy right now and I believe I've seen it there for less. Nothing below $1400 though. Based on previous holiday seasons, I'm expecting the 48" to go for less during that time period. However, if the set is popular enough we might not see it have the big discounts like the 55" and 65" have had in the past.

this is what I've been seeing at Best Buy for weeks, no changes other than the 55 inch, it just sits at $1500 forever

Probably agree on the 48 inch not getting a big holiday discount because it's also eating some of the monitor market for people I've seen

HMD

Oct 26, 2017
Unless you're going for an OLED and you don't care for smart TV stuff then you should probably wait until cheaper OLED screens become a thing, because OLEDs alone are an upgrade on top of an upgrade.

iWannaHat

Jul 1, 2019
This thread got me looking at tv's since i need one for my office. Hot damn are they cheap right now

Darknight

Oct 25, 2017

this is what I've been seeing at Best Buy for weeks, no changes other than the 55 inch, it just sits at $1500 forever

Probably agree on the 48 inch not getting a big holiday discount because it's also eating some of the monitor market for people I've seen

Odd, I just clicked on it and I see this:

$1,449.99Your price for this item is $1,449.99
Save $150
Was $1,599.99

Micro

Oct 28, 2017
Getting a 4K TV and watching Planet Earth 2 on it was absolutely mind-blowing. Just constantly walking up to the screen like "whooooa what the pixels are so small whooooooooa it's like I'm there dude"

And this was while completely sober in case anyone's wondering.