• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Ether_Snake

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Yes isis did start in Afghanistan but that's a difficult region for them as the Taliban are opposed to them. The Taliban for example are not anti shia and are supported by Iran.

ISKP have no real power and ISKP prisoners were left in their cells when the Taliban went around freeing people. They're going to be left to the courts but I think the fight between ISKP and Taliban will intensify once the US leaves.

I predict a China-Pakistan-Afghanistan-Iran alliance and the US will fund ISIS again to counter it.

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
This would suggest the US really had no clue just how far the defections and surrenders among city leaders and military would be. Like, they were expecting to have some time to ramp up, but had none
I feel like that was just very risky to bank on. Everyone seems to have predicted that the Afghan forces would inevitably lose, so why would those forces then even want to fight and die if all it does is buy some extra days.

Lastbroadcast

Jul 6, 2018
Sydney, Australia

I wonder why they didn't start a week ago when it became obvious afghan forces are collapsing

Biden's intel from earlier this week was that Afghanistan would fall in 90 days. Some security experts believed 30 days.

In the end it took 6 days. 75,000 Taliban fighters in Toyota Landcruisers waltzed in and 300,000 well equipped Afghan troops surrendered without a shot being fired.

It just goes to show you that even after $2T of money spend and thousands of lives lost, Afghanistan was little more than a house of cards held together with American duct tape. They couldn't even hang on for a month to help facilitate the final bit of the American civilian withdrawal. They didn't want to.

It was never a winnable war, and we should stop pretending that it ever was. The ending was always going to be very ugly no matter who eventually presided over it. In some ways I actually respect Joe Biden for taking the political hit that Bush, Obama and Trump were unwilling to take.

Joe Biden will rightly be held accountable for the manner in which he ripped the duct tape off, but he wasn't the only one who built the house of cards and tried to pretend it was a fortress. That failure has many, many authors.

Trump, Pence, Obama, Hillary Clinton, Robert Gates, Biden himself, and then all the way back to George W Bush, Cheney, Donald Rumsfeld and Colin Powell. Every last one of them lied. So did everyone in my country's government over the last 20 years - John Howard, Rudd, Gillard, Abbott, Turnbull, Morrison. All of them tried to claim we were "building a secure and stable government in Afghanistan" at various times. The whole thing was one gigantic lie.

The lesson here is - never again.

mbpm

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like that was just very risky to bank on. Everyone seems to have predicted that the Afghan forces would inevitably lose, so why would those forces then even want to fight and die if all it does is buy some extra days.
I've heard it mentioned that people in that region are accustomed to switching sides when fighting heats up and situations change. That there were folks who'd fought each other in the Soviet Afghan war and similar conflicts that now fight together as groups for survival and remain relatively cohesive.

If this was the case, it makes sense that they would understand the situation and know that the power coming after the US is the Taliban. It's not personal; they have to survive, and to survive, they have to pick the side that will govern their immediate future.

JackDT

Oct 27, 2017
I've heard it mentioned that people in that region are accustomed to switching sides when fighting heats up and situations change. That there were folks who'd fought each other in the Soviet Afghan war and similar conflicts that now fight together as groups for survival and remain relatively cohesive.

If this was the case, it makes sense that they would understand the situation and know that the power coming after the US is the Taliban. It's not personal; they have to survive, and to survive, they have to pick the side that will govern their immediate future.

Yeah, the dynamic sounds like medieval times. You had all these merchants and dukes and their armies would constantly be traded around, bought and sold, change sides.

BFIB

Oct 25, 2017
My right wing dad referred to this about 10 times today as Bidens Blunder and he parrots all FoxNews so I'm guessing this is the tagline that they're running with.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
I've heard it mentioned that people in that region are accustomed to switching sides when fighting heats up. That there were folks who'd fought each other in the Soviet Afghan war and similar conflicts that now fight together as groups for survival and remain relatively cohesive.

Years and years ago, I read books about Afghanistan and how the tribal nature of the region meant that "sides" in a conflict are always fluid. Men can fight one side one day, but then during the night just as quickly switch sides. There is no sort of national unity.

None of that seems to have changed since. Why fight for this loose idea of a national government when Afghanistan has never had such a centralized government? The civilian government we kept propping up failed to provide any reason to the average citizen to trust in it.

Baji Boxer

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Staying in Afghanistan longer wasn't going to solve anything that's for sure, but maybe the US could've done a better job evacuating civilians that wanted to leave and bringing them here as refugees over the last few months? I'm not really sure what to think. Lots of media spin coming from the pentagon trying to make it look like Biden caused a disaster, which I don't buy at all because ending our occupation was the right thing to do but idk
Defenitely should have. I'd say Biden may have caused a disaster through not doing much of anything for getting as many people out as possible. He gave time to prepare. And of course he's partly responsible for the entire situation in the first place with his history as a Senator and being VP for 8 years of the occupation.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
www.youtube.com

Afghanistan before the Russian Invasion (Documentary, 1979)

This film is a glimpse of the traditional life of the Afghan people, their culture and their music, just before the Russian intervention in 1979.Original tit...

YouTube knows that I want.

Defenitely should have. I'd say Biden may have caused a disaster through not doing much of anything for getting as many people out as possible. He gave time to prepare. And of course he's partly responsible for the entire situation in the first place with his history as a Senator and being VP for 8 years of the occupation.

It should be noted that Biden was against the surge in Afghanistan, he's been pushing to get out since back then. No surprise he's so quick to get out now.

Nov 8, 2017
In the end it took 6 days. 75,000 Taliban fighters in Toyota Landcruisers waltzed in and 300,000 well equipped Afghan troops surrendered without a shot being fired.

As we're discovering, they were not actually "well equipped", except in the loosest possible sense that they had good rifles or whatever. Inadequate supplies of food, inadequate stockpiles of munitions, and substantially delayed pay. The latter no doubt contributed to some of the former, with people on local levels selling out supplies of their equipment and ammunition to earn money over the years.

sangreal

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Glee at the Taliban taking over?
I wish they didn't exist in the first place!

But A PARTICULAR COUNTRY WHO SPENT THE LAST 20 YEARS FIGHTING THEM funded their existence and rise to power in it's McCarthyist paranoia of commie hatred!

eyJ1IjoiXC91cGxvYWRzXC8yMDIxXC8wMlwvMXgtMS5qcGciLCJ3IjoxMjMwLCJ2IjoiMS4wIn0%3D.jpg

Fucking thanks for that!

The Taliban was formed well after the fall of the soviet union (and 2 civil wars after the Soviet withdrawal) and it was Jimmy Carter that started funding and arming the Mujahideen groups (which were later defeated by the Taliban) against the soviets, not Reagan.

mbpm

Oct 25, 2017
Years and years ago, I read books about Afghanistan and how the tribal nature of the region meant that "sides" in a conflict are always fluid. Men can fight one side one day, but then during the night just as quickly switch sides. There is no sort of national unity.

None of that seems to have changed since. Why fight for this loose idea of a national government when Afghanistan has never had such a centralized government? The civilian government we kept propping up failed to provide any reason to the average citizen to trust in it.
Yeah, it's like, maybe they could fight for those 90 days the Biden admin calculated, but why would they

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
As we're discovering, they were not actually "well equipped", except in the loosest possible sense that they had good rifles or whatever. Inadequate supplies of food, inadequate stockpiles of munitions, and substantially delayed pay. The latter no doubt contributed to some of the former, with people on local levels selling out supplies of their equipment and ammunition to earn money over the years.
I want the names of the advisers/analysts who thought that those people will die in a losing war for 30-90 days just so we have time to evacuate Kabul.
For real, after all the corrupt government officials stuffed money into duffel bags and got the fuck out of the country, why would anyone go die for that?

Baji Boxer

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
www.youtube.com

Afghanistan before the Russian Invasion (Documentary, 1979)

This film is a glimpse of the traditional life of the Afghan people, their culture and their music, just before the Russian intervention in 1979.Original tit...

YouTube knows that I want.

It should be noted that Biden was against the surge in Afghanistan, he's been pushing to get out since back then. No surprise he's so quick to get out now.
Yes, though I'm also talking about his stance when we first invaded, his support of shifting focus to an invasion of Iraq, and going all the way back to his support of the funding the Mujahideen back in '79. Basically, he's consistently supported nearly every bad and inhumane decision in regards to that part of the world for longer than most of us have been alive. There really should be little faith that Biden will handle foreign policy well, esp. in this area.

SuperHans

Oct 27, 2017

If anything the US probably caused some national unity as people rallied against their invader. Which the Taliban have exploited for recruitment.

Deleted member 34725

User-requested account closure
Banned
Nov 28, 2017
I want the names of the advisers/analysts who thought that those people will die in a losing war for 30-90 days just so we have time to evacuate Kabul.
For real, after all the corrupt government officials stuffed money into duffel bags and got the fuck out of the country, why would anyone go die for that?
US officials believing (or at the very least hoping) that Afghans would be stupid enough to fight and die for nothing. A total lack of respect for Afghan intelligence and self-preservation.

danm999

Oct 29, 2017
Sydney
If anything the US probably caused some national unity as people rallied against their invader. Which the Taliban have exploited for recruitment.

I mean it wouldn't have been a hard sell by the end of the war the US was bombing the shit out of the place;

U.S. and Afghan Forces Killed More Civilians Than Taliban Did, Report Finds

www.nytimes.com

U.S. and Afghan Forces Killed More Civilians Than Taliban Did, Report Finds (Published 2019)

Afghan civilian deaths attributed to pro-government forces rose in the first quarter of this year, even as overall civilian casualties dropped, according to the U.N.

GYODX

Oct 27, 2017
This is incorrect and also completely ignores the history of how the US invasion of Afghanistan started.

Hint: we had a lot of support from the Northern Alliance.

There is not and never was any national sense of "we need to drive the American invaders out of Afghanistan." Don't mistake that for me saying that we should have stayed in Afghanistan.

Keasar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Umeå, Sweden
I'm glad you can find humor in all this.
I do indeed. Cause that removes one of the biggest murderers of Afghan people, see:
I mean it wouldn't have been a hard sell by the end of the war the US was bombing the shit out of the place;

www.nytimes.com

U.S. and Afghan Forces Killed More Civilians Than Taliban Did, Report Finds (Published 2019)

Afghan civilian deaths attributed to pro-government forces rose in the first quarter of this year, even as overall civilian casualties dropped, according to the U.N.

GYODX

Oct 27, 2017
To see a imperialist super power get it's ass handed to it once again by a tiny country with nowhere near the technological lead or global power structure? Nah, don't know why you would say that.

nam.jpg
www.nbcnews.com

Afghan women fear ‘dark’ future, loss of rights as Taliban seize control

"Women in Afghanistan are the most at danger or most at-risk population of the country," said Fawzia Koofi, a women's rights activist and former lawmaker.

But at least the US getting a black eye makes you happy.

Deleted member 8257

Oct 26, 2017
Biden's intel from earlier this week was that Afghanistan would fall in 90 days. Some security experts believed 30 days.

It just goes to show you that even after $2T of money spend and thousands of lives lost, Afghanistan was little more than a house of cards held together with American duct tape. They couldn't even hang on for a month to help facilitate the final bit of the American civilian withdrawal. They didn't want to.

It was never a winnable war, and we should stop pretending that it ever was. The ending was always going to be very ugly no matter who eventually presided over it. In some ways I actually respect Joe Biden for taking the political hit that Bush, Obama and Trump were unwilling to take.

Joe Biden will rightly be held accountable for the manner in which he ripped the duct tape off, but he wasn't the only one who built the house of cards and tried to pretend it was a fortress. That failure has many, many authors.

Trump, Pence, Obama, Hillary Clinton, Robert Gates, Biden himself, and then all the way back to George W Bush, Cheney, Donald Rumsfeld and Colin Powell. Every last one of them lied. So did everyone in my country's government over the last 20 years - John Howard, Rudd, Gillard, Abbott, Turnbull, Morrison. All of them tried to claim we were "building a secure and stable government in Afghanistan" at various times. The whole thing was one gigantic lie.

mission_accomplish_1112950c.jpg

SuperHans

Oct 27, 2017
This is incorrect and also completely ignores the history of how the US invasion of Afghanistan started.

There is not and never was any national sense of "we need to drive the American invaders out of Afghanistan." Don't mistake that for me saying that we should have stayed in Afghanistan.
In addition to specialized human assets, the team brought three cardboard boxes filled with $3 million in $100 bills to buy support.

Support that is paid for is not exactly the kind of support that can be relied on for when the money runs out.

Nov 8, 2017

The estimates were as much about how fast the Taliban would choose advance as it was about how much the Afghan army would put up a fight. Advancing this rapidly (including getting into small scale firefights in the outskirts of Kabul even after they'd announced a ceasefire yesterday) was extremely risky for them. Triggering a reinvasion would be the last thing they want, and as such I certainly would have expected them to at least wait until the foreigners had evacuated before getting anywhere close to Kabul.

SRG01

Oct 25, 2017

This post needs to be quoted more. The fact that it took six days for the state to fall shows how much of a farce the Afghan government was. And, perhaps, in the end, the entire situation being (relatively) bloodless also shows how the Afghanis are ready for a change.

Oct 25, 2017
Anti-imperilasm > the lives of women every time.

Gotta keep your priorities straight. Remember everyone, its not about the lives of people. Its about reminding people on the internet you are right.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017

I do indeed. Cause that removes one of the biggest murderers of Afghan people, see:

Well, if you read that article you'd see that it was for one year, 2019, that civilian casualties by pro-government forces outstripped those of the Taliban (and other insurgent groups) as the Taliban decreased their use of suicide bombers. Not that these civilian deaths are excusable, especially since the article doesn't really explain the increase with U.S. forces completely removed from ground operations at this point. The best guess is reliance of Afghan forces on calling in airstrikes:

NYT said:
Other quarterly numbers may reflect an increasing reliance on airstrikes in a war in which Afghan security forces tend to hunker down in fortified bases rather than mount aggressive assaults against Taliban fighters. When attacked, Afghan forces often call for airstrikes by the American-trained Afghan Air Force to dislodge the enemy.

Aerial operations were the third-highest cause of civilian casualties, killing 145 civilians and wounding 83 during the quarter — a 41 percent increase for those type of casualties compared with the same quarter in 2018. The report attributed almost all of those casualties to American airstrikes.

UNAMA said:
The overall reduction of civilian casualties was driven by a decrease in civilian casualties by
suicide improvised explosive device (IED) attacks. UNAMA notes the particularly harsh winter
conditions during the first three months of the year, which may have contributed to this trend. It is
unclear whether the decrease in civilian casualties was influenced by any measures taken by
parties to the conflict to better protect civilians, or by the ongoing talks between parties to the
conflict

But, what is clear is that every year before this the Taliban was responsible for the vast majority of civilian deaths in Afghanistan.

The situation just a year prior:

NYT said:
The United Nations reported in February that 2018 was the single deadliest year for Afghan civilians since the agency began documenting casualties in 2009. Almost 4,000 civilians died that year, including a record number of children. The 2018 report attributed 63 percent of civilian casualties to insurgent groups and 24 percent to pro-government forces.

But, I'm sure you knew this.

EDIT:

Oh, and I decided to go and check if this trend continued since this was only the first quarterly report of the UNAMA. Let's see what they say to the second half of 2019.

UNAMA said:
From 1 January to 30 September, UNAMA documented 8,239 civilian casualties (2,563 deaths and 5,676
injured), similar to the same period in 2018. Anti-Government Elements continued to cause the majority of
civilian casualties in Afghanistan and also caused slightly more civilian deaths than Pro-Government Forces in
the first nine months of 2019, contrary to the first half year of 2019 when Pro-Government Forces caused
more civilian deaths.
Forty-one per cent of all civilian casualties were women and children.

During the first nine months of 2019, the combined use of suicide and non-suicide improvised explosive
devices (IEDs) was the leading cause of civilian casualties causing 42 per cent of the overall tota
l, up from 28
per cent after the first two quarters of 2019. Ground engagements was the second leading cause of civilian
casualties (29 per cent), followed by aerial attacks (11 per cent). Aerial operations remained the leading incident
type of civilian deaths, causing 23 per cent of civilian deaths.

Yeah, the trend didn't continue.

Last edited:

SRG01

Oct 25, 2017

Yeah, there's a lot of revisionist history in this thread, unfortunately. The war in Afghanistan would not have been won without the Northern Alliance.

The sad part about the current situation is that the West collectively failed in building up Afghanistan. Not to say that efforts weren't made in infrastructure and women's rights, but the biggest problem was that the Afghani government failed to gain the support of local tribes and warlords over the span of two decades.

The estimates were as much about how fast the Taliban would choose advance as it was about how much the Afghan army would put up a fight. Advancing this rapidly (including getting into small scale firefights in the outskirts of Kabul even after they'd announced a ceasefire yesterday) was extremely risky for them. Triggering a reinvasion would be the last thing they want, and as such I certainly would have expected them to at least wait until the foreigners had evacuated before getting anywhere close to Kabul.

IIRC, there were reports of how even the Taliban were surprised at how quickly they advanced.

GYODX

Oct 27, 2017
Hey guys, if you think a foreign country is better off under an invading occupation army, you're in my shit list for imperialist assholes. :)
Are you including the educated women of Afghanistan in that list, who are saying that they feel betrayed by the US' withdrawal from Afghanistan because they will have to give up all the political and civic gains they made in the past 20 years?

For my part, I'm glad that we are out of Afghanistan and think it was the right decision, even if I disagree with how hastily and haphazardly it was carried out.

When the provinces collapsed one after another, I was thinking of my beautiful girlish dreams. My sisters and I could not sleep all night, remembering the stories my mother used to tell us about the Taliban era and the way they treated women.

I did not expect that we would be deprived of all our basic rights again and travel back to 20 years ago. That after 20 years of fighting for our rights and freedom, we should be hunting for burqas and hiding our identity.

www.theguardian.com

An Afghan woman in Kabul: ‘Now I have to burn everything I achieved’

A university student tells of seeing all around her the ‘fearful faces of women and ugly faces of men who hate women’

danm999

Oct 29, 2017
Sydney
Anti-imperilasm > the lives of women every time.

Gotta keep your priorities straight. Remember everyone, its not about the lives of people. Its about reminding people on the internet you are right.

I don't know what to say to posts like this because it basically ignores the reality US imperialism is why women in Afghanistan are so fucked

sangreal

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

www.nytimes.com

This was notable because it was the first quarter since the UN started reporting in 2009 where pro-government forces killed more civilians than anti-government forces. The trend didn't continue

danm999

Oct 29, 2017
Sydney
This was notable because it was the first quarter since the UN started reporting in 2009 where pro-government forces killed more civilians than anti-government forces. The trend didn't continue

Yes late in 2019, the US announced it would be removing half of its troops as a result of the ceasefire with the Taliban. Then early 2020 they signed a peace deal.

GYODX

Oct 27, 2017
I don't know what to say to posts like this because it basically ignores the reality US imperialism is why women in Afghanistan are so fucked
The US's imperialism and meddling in Afghanistan and the Middle East more broadly is the reason why Afghan women are in such a state in the first place, and the US' presence in Afghanistan is also the reason why Afghan women had been able to make so many political and civic gains over the past 20 years. Both things can be true.

Read what the women of Afghanistan have to say in their own words. There was a real sense of hope for the future--especially among urban, educated women--and it all came crashing down these past few weeks.

www.theguardian.com

Afghan women’s defiance and despair: ‘I never thought I’d have to wear a burqa. My identity will be lost’

As city after city falls to the Taliban, women fear that the freedoms won since 2001 will be crushed

www.dw.com

Afghan activist: The Taliban 'will come and kill me' – DW – 08/14/2021

As the Taliban make rapid gains in Afghanistan, women in the country are concerned about their future. An Afghan women's rights activist told DW her life may be in danger if the Islamist militants attack Kabul.

www.nbcnews.com

Afghan women fear ‘dark’ future, loss of rights as Taliban seize control

"Women in Afghanistan are the most at danger or most at-risk population of the country," said Fawzia Koofi, a women's rights activist and former lawmaker.

www.reuters.com

Afghan women forced from banking jobs as Taliban take control

In early July, as Taliban insurgents were seizing territory from government forces across Afghanistan, fighters from the group walked into the offices of Azizi Bank in the southern city of Kandahar and ordered nine women working there to leave.

Ctrl Alt Del

Banned
Jun 10, 2018
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Are you including the educated women of Afghanistan in that list, who are saying that they feel betrayed by the US' withdrawal from Afghanistan because they will have to give up all the political and civic gains they made in the past 20 years?
As and if the conditions of certain groups deteriorate with the regime change , the USA owes granting them asylum if they so want.

eyeball_kid

Oct 25, 2017

Say what now? It was the Soviets who fucked up Afghanistan, not that it was a model country for the rights of women and minorities before that. It was still pretty terrible, just less barbaric. The mujahideen that the Americans funded against the Soviet invasion did not lead to the Taliban; those groups opposed each other.

Say what you will about the American occupation, and there's a lot to say, but at least there were advances for women's rights and 15 year old girls were not under threat of forced marriage.

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It's just a way for neocons to sell regime change wars to liberals, sadly it's quite successful.
They did with Iraq too, they do it every time really.

T5y3jv2.png

sangreal

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yes late in 2019, the US announced it would be removing half of its troops as a result of the ceasefire with the Taliban. Then early 2020 they signed a peace deal.

Right, I guess my point is that if the US killing civilians was the primary motivator then people really should have been done with the Taliban far earlier given they were responsible for more civilian deaths in every other quarter. I think the reality is more nuanced in that rather than keeping score like this report, people would view Taliban bombings of civilians as a byproduct of the American occupation and lay the blame with the US (That is the intent of them, after all)

Oct 25, 2017

Mate I promise you I am just as anti imperialism as you, but I cant read these stories/tweets from terrified women and pretend this is any kind of "win." I wont blame you for side eyeing me. All im asking is to not pretend this is in any way or shape good for them especially when theyre telling us its not.

GYODX

Oct 27, 2017
It's just a way for neocons to sell regime change wars to liberals, sadly it's quite successful.
They did with Iraq too, they do it every time really.

T5y3jv2.png
Not to say that this isn't the neocon/right-wingers' modus operandi, but it's worth nothing that Malala Yousafzai is voicing these very same concerns right now.

Ctrl Alt Del

Banned
Jun 10, 2018
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Right, I guess my point is that if the US killing civilians was the primary motivator then people really should have been done with the Taliban far earlier given they were responsible for more civilian deaths in every other quarter. I think the reality is more nuanced in that rather than keeping score like this report, people would view Taliban bombings of civilians as a byproduct of the American occupation and lay the blame with the US (That is the intent of them, after all)
I think the flaw in your argument is believing the invading army and/or the government they put in place were seen as legitimate actors that had a right to be there.