• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Tales of Vesperia vs Dragon Quest XI

• Tales of Vesperia

Votes: 124 34.0%
  • Dragon Quest XI

Votes: 241 66.0%

• Total voters

Blade24070

Oct 26, 2017
I haven't played DQ11 yet (Switch in the west soon plz) but and I know we often compare games that are rather hard to compare... but they could not be more different games. Action RPG versus turn based and one is 10 years old while the other is much newer.

Redfox088

Banned
May 31, 2018
BOTW is the silent protagonist done exceptionally well. DQXI is how not to do a protagonist. Link lives through your dialogue options. Hero's options so far have been 99% yes or no.

Stilted emotionless face. That wierd pregnant pause when people ask a question and you don't answer. Being talked at/around most scenes. I think the silent protagonist is the worst in any game if there is no form of expression at all. That is the case with dragon quest.

Apr 9, 2018
I'm not a huge DQ11 fan but it's definitely the better of these two. I like Tales games better than Dragon Quest games in general, but Vesperia has a really slow first act and is pretty unpolished, I'm not finding it to be one of the better ones.

rockx4

Dec 8, 2017
Vesperia is better simply because it has better characters. DQXI's silent protagonist is terrible. He stands out way too much during character interactions when he's just standing there with zero emotion.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
Vesperia is better simply because it has better characters. DQXI's silent protagonist is terrible. He stands out way too much during character interactions when he's just standing there with zero emotion.

Having a silent character gives the chance for their companions to shine, and DQ11 definitely wipes the floor with its stellar party.

Nax

Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 10, 2018
Haven't tried DQ XI yet. But I've been playing Dragon Quest since Warrior on the NES. There's something that is more appealing about them.

Tales of Symphonia was awesome back in the day. I played through Vesperia 8-ish years ago and it was okay. Characters and writing were bad. Cutscenes were terrible. But the combat was fun.

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
Yep, he destroys multiple cutscenes that involve him or his family. It's a really bad decision to make an MC that is both silent and relevant to the plot. But the other characters are not that great either: Selena is boring except for one cutscene at the end of Chapter 2, Veronica is your annoying brat most of the times, Eric is the "rogue friend" cliché without anything else, Rab is your perverted martial art master cliché, Jade has small plot relevance besides sharing some past moments with MC and no real development... Sylvando and 7 are the best of the bunch, the first hours of Act 2 when both of them have their development arc are the most interesting content in the game IMO.

rockx4

Dec 8, 2017
Having a silent character gives the chance for their companions to shine, and DQ11 definitely wipes the floor with its stellar party.
As great as some characters are, the MC ruins multiple emotional scenes by standing there like a statue. He shows zero emotion during emotional scenes, and ruins so many moments.

gordofredito

Banned
Jan 16, 2018
I like both a lot, Vesperia might be the first Tales Of game I genuinely like more than Symphonia or Abyss... but DQ XI is just something else. Vesperia doesn't come close

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
You're bugging. Sylvando and Veronica are the only characters that stand out in the ENTIRE GAME so far 40 hrs in.
As great as some characters are, the MC ruins multiple emotional scenes by standing there like a statue. He shows zero emotion during emotional scenes, and ruins so many moments.
What is it about silent characters that makes him ruin everything ? I don't need to show someone crying to understand what he feels, I only need context. The context of his life is engaging throughout and shows how much he and his family has gone through and it's emotional for me.

I really don't get this point and I feel like people are making it a bigger deal than it is. I don't need for someone to speak to feel like they matter, and Hero definitely matters throughout. There's far more JRPGs that would have benefitted from making the main character shut their mouth than there are that benefited from letting them speak.

A game like Dragon Quest focusing about vignettes and secondary characters (some of the best in the genre since its inception) doesn't need someone to talk to make me feel something, the writing does all the work to elevate it.

And all the cast stands out, their stories are all super interesting, and they all share a connection throughout the adventure. Erik bickering with Veronica was some of my favourite scenes and on top of that it says something important about their past. Seven is probably one of the best DQ characters. The whole cast is just a genuine party you hardly see anymore, checking the party talk often and see what they say about is so much fun and brings a lot of critical information about them that makes me appreciate them even more. It's not in your face and melodrama overdose, it's just great writing where you have to actually engage, which in turn allows you to have a deeper connection with them.

Vesperia is the perfect example, Yuri can do a monologue all throughout and it isn't going to save anything about what the game offers in terms of cast synergy and writing. It's literally just Yuri for me, and even that doesn't last long when you get ot the second half.

Buff Beefbroth

Chicken Chaser
Apr 12, 2018
I've not played DQXI, but I recently got Vesperia after hearing praise for years and... it's kind of boring? I want to like it. I used to love JRPGs a lot and it is very polished. But the game just, like. Talks at you? It's hard to explain how I feel, but I just feel like I'm passively along for the ride. Some dialogue choices for Yuri - even if they didn't actually change much - would probably help. It just feels like a visual novel between fights.

Sabot

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 31, 2017
I did not like DQ11.

I am 40 hours into replaying Vesperia and I am having much more fun.

Redfox088

Banned
May 31, 2018
What is it about silent characters that makes him ruin everything ? I don't need to show someone crying to understand what he feels, I only need context. The context of his life is engaging throughout and shows how much he and his family has gone through and it's emotional for me.

I really don't get this point and I feel like people are making it a bigger deal than it is. I don't need for someone to speak to feel like they matter, and Hero definitely matters throughout. There's far more JRPGs that would have benefitted from making the main character shut their mouth than there are that benefited from letting them speak.

A game like Dragon Quest focusing about vignettes and secondary characters (some of the best in the genre since its inception) doesn't need someone to talk to make me feel something, the writing does all the work to elevate it.

And all the cast stands out, their stories are all super interesting, and they all share a connection throughout the adventure. Erik bickering with Veronica was some of my favourite scenes and on top of that it says something important about their past. Seven is probably one of the best DQ characters. The whole cast is just a genuine party you hardly see anymore, checking the party talk often and see what they say about is so much fun and brings a lot of critical information about them that makes me appreciate them even more. It's not in your face and melodrama overdose, it's just great writing where you have to actually engage, which in turn allows you to have a deeper connection with them.

Vesperia is the perfect example, Yuri can do a monologue all throughout and it isn't going to save anything about what the game offers in terms of cast synergy and writing. It's literally just Yuri for me, and even that doesn't last long when you get ot the second half.
Yea. Sorry. RPGs are predicated on the fact that all the characters are compelling as well as the plot. Your line of thinking may be the very reason this very same company thought is was acceptable to release the silent man.

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
Is co-op fun in Vesperia?
Like in other Tales of games, the camera follows the 1st player and can be frustrating from time to time, but making good combos with your friends or having competent party members instead of the stupid IA can make the game better. I played through Shymponia with 3 friends (full party) during 90% of my 2nd GC playthrough and it can get really good. The problem is, you need friends that want to see lots of cutscenes and party banter with you, which can be the real problem of coop play with Tales of games.

Kito

Nov 6, 2017
Like in other Tales of games, the camera follows the 1st player and can be frustrating from time to time, but making good combos with your friends or having competent party members instead of the stupid IA can make the game better. I played through Shymponia with 3 friends (full party) during 90% of my 2nd GC playthrough and it can get really good. The problem is, you need friends that want to see lots of cutscenes and party banter with you, which can be the real problem of coop play with Tales of games.

Sounds good for my girlfriend and me. We play through entire JRPGs together and voice acting for all the non voices dialog. :P

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
I don't need to show someone crying to understand what he feels, I only need context. The context of his life is engaging throughout and shows how much he and his family has gone through and it's emotional for me.
Lol. Next time I expect a full party of silent characters with little to none expressions, but LOTS of context everywhere. It should be good enough right? Who wants characters that act like human beings, if we can throw lots of context in the games and that's all we need... /s.

Seriously, the DQ defense force is really ready to defend everything about the game, even the worst decisions. Really hard to take seriously some opinions, but it makes me understand why the games have evolved so little.

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
Sounds good for my girlfriend and me. We play through entire JRPGs together and voice acting for all the non voices dialog. :P
Absolutely, it's a good game to play with your GF if both of you are invested in these kind of games and spend lots of hours together (the game is kind of long). IIRC I've played both Shymphonia, Xillia and some segments of Abyss with friends, and it's an interesting experience. It was 2nd runs all of them, as I know that my friends have little patience with long games and only want to fight montsers and superbosses, we skipped most of the cutscenes except in Shymphonia.

OP
OP

Rami Seb

Banned
Sep 28, 2018
Terrible is an understatement. It's legit the worst soundtrack from any big game I've played this gen, imo.
I've only played DQ8 and DQ11 but listening and comparing the sound track, DQ11 is abysmal

This is like comparing Dragon Age Inquisition to The Witcher 3
2 Western RPG's? That's actually a very good comparison

Combat is way better in Vesperia.
One thing I've noticed, the arguments for DQ11 are all nostalgia based ei "classic combat" I hate this nostalgia argument in regards to DQ's generic plot and shallow combat. Especially since the battles aren't very challenging and nearly coma inducing in DQ

DQXI is how not to do a protagonist.
Vesperia is better simply because it has better characters.

lol Yuri has more personality than the entire DQ11 cast combined

Deleted member 4886

Oct 25, 2017
Comparing Action combat to turn based, that sounds fair.

I dunno I like them both, DQ11 def has more polish than Vesperia and better characters, Vesperia is faster paced, but the story is lol

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
Lol. Next time I expect a full party of silent characters with little to none expressions, but LOTS of context everywhere. It should be good enough right? Who wants characters that act like human beings, if we can throw lots of context in the games and that's all we need... /s.

Seriously, the DQ defense force is really ready to defend everything about the game, even the worst decisions. Really hard to take seriously some opinions, but it makes me understand why the games have evolved so little.
Yea. Sorry. RPGs are predicated on the fact that all the characters are compelling as well as the plot. Your line of thinking may be the very reason this very same company thought is was acceptable to release the silent man.

The strength of a story never lies on the strength of its main character but all the secondary characters. I fail to see an example in a JRPG where this isn't true. I wasn't playing Chrono Trigger for Crono, I played it for Frog & Magus. I didn't play FF10 for Tidus, I played it for all the people who orbited around him. It's utterly ridiculous to think that a silent protagonist is a bad thing. It's a tool that serves a different purpose, in order to highlight different things.

And Tibarn, you're really not one to talk considering you're out here throwing your takes at every single DQ thread. That makes you the DQ Attack Force ? Not a road I would take, personally

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
If you dig action-based combat over turn-based, I think that might be the easier way to "settle the debate".

(so, personally, Vespy :V )

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
And Tibarn, you're really not one to talk considering you're out here throwing your takes at every single DQ thread. That makes you the DQ Attack Force ? Not a road I would take, personally
I know that I have been "throwing my takes" at DQ threads, as you may know I played the game, and as a "JRPG player" I found it to be quite bland/boring. Not bad per se, the game is polished and all and looks great, but I can't say more good things about it aside from some good story moments.

Even so, I think that the silent MC detracts from the experience a lot, mostly because he is not a random silent guy like in most other JRPGs with a silent MC, he is really relevant to the main plot and the way he doesn't react to some really emotional scenes is a really bad way of making the player care even less than it does.

I never said that silent MCs are always a bad thing, Link is a really good silent MC in most Zelda games, as Samus is in Metroid... I think it's not a great way to present a JRPG MC, and in DQ XI it was really poorly executed.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
Having a silent character is one thing. Having a completely expressionless shell of a character that is just standing there without moving a single muscle of his face ruins multiple cutscenes. Many other JRPGs have done silent protagonists perfectly fine, that's not the problem.

ULTROS!

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
DQXI is a far more superior game for me than ToV. I dunno but I thought ToV didn't age really well and was well... Overrated. Heck I thought Berseria and Graces were better Tales games.

Deleted member 4037

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
From what Ive seen of Vesperia it looks decent, DQXI I played about 20hrs and I will agree with the op there are barely any redeeming factors to the game. DQXI is an absolute travesty of a game

AztecComplex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is what Tales of games are known for, and maybe the only thing they do at a really good level.

But yeah I agree, I finished DQ XI only a few months ago and I only remember a few scenes where the characters were... characters, especially the MC. For a game that has charm as a selling point, it surprised me how "cold" the characters felt most of the time.
I must've played a different version than you of DQXI. I couldn't have a lore different opinion than you on this. I genuinely cared a lot about every party members other than the admittedly boring and bland (on purpose, sadly) main character.

Deleted member 4037

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I must've played a different version than you of DQXI. I couldn't have a lore different opinion than you on this. I genuinely cared a lot about every party members other than the admittedly boring and bland (on purpose, sadly) main character.
given that you spend the longest time with them and they dont even tell you any of their motivations as characters, all of them come off super bland. Especially when the pace is so rushed, I dont know if it gets better down the line, but when Im waiting for the characters to actually get fleshed out after 20 hrs of gameplay, something is wrong. The game showed no intention of doing this either, probably one of my least favorite JRPG casts

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
Different opinions I fear. As I've explained in some other threads, some scenes lacked any "warm" interaction during some critical moments. I was hard for me to care about the characters in the game, aside from some sections at the end of Act II (you know what I mean), I never felt that any of them was that remarkable. I will also say that I don't really care that much about family drama (except Clannad, obviously), so I'm not the target of this game drama moments.

Cascadero

Nov 8, 2017
Vesperia is the superior game as far as I'm concerned. Jrpg classic with great characters and a story that's quite interesting from the start. Dragon quest xi offers a very slow burn with the usual silent protagonist (compare that to Yuri). Combating enemies in Vesperia is far from perfect, but still more interesting and challenging than Dragon Quest XI with its extremely traditional approach. Mind you I have yet to play the DQXI post game as I parked the game for a bit in order not to burn out on it.

Both games are excellent graphically, the art style of Vesperia holds up extremely well.

Oct 25, 2017
Dragon Quest XI is WAYYYYYYYY WAYYYYYY better.

I recommend Stronger monsters as well, I 100% the game with that last year and it was so rewarding.

Tales games in general are just not that great, the best thing about Vesperia is the great main characters and that's pretty much it.

rhythm

Nov 11, 2017
Turn based combat just doesnt do it for me any more (unless it's Pokemon) these days. Honestly think that started when I played Vesperia 10 years ago, it's my first Tales. Have been hungry for action RPGs since. I did pick up DQ11 day one but only played for about 10 hours before getting side tracked with other games. If I just focus to play it for the story and avoid side content, how long would it take to beat it?

Lucreto

Oct 25, 2017
I have 40 hours of DQXI and about 15 hours of TOV under my belt and I with DQ was better. I love the tales series but TOV doesn't strike me as an amazing game yet but I am sure if I play more I may get a better appreciation for it but so far Tales of Xillia 1 and 2 were better..

DQ I will have to play again as my perception was damaged due the higher difficulty. It ruined the game for me so I will replay it to repair some of the damage. I will wait until the switch version is out in case there is a patch with the additional content.

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
DQ11 has fantastic combat if you turn on the difficulty modifiers which really forces you to dig into its depths. Without the difficulty modifiers, it's far too easy to be interesting.

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
DQ11 has fantastic combat if you turn on the difficulty modifiers which really forces you to dig into its depths. Without the difficulty modifiers, it's far too easy to be interesting.
Which is IMO a bad design decision. Even so, I never found the system engaging enough to want more difficult battles. I liked that in normal mode you can basically go from boss to boss and have somewhat challening battles due to being underleveled.

Hogger

Nov 18, 2017
With all the praise DQ11 gets on here I was a bit shocked by the thread title. Then I realized that Tales of Vesperia was far more enjoyable for me.

Oct 25, 2017
Which is IMO a bad design decision. Even so, I never found the system engaging enough to want more difficult battles. I liked that in normal mode you can basically go from boss to boss and have somewhat challening battles due to being underleveled.

I don't mind difficulties making a game interesting, just like with KH2, the game is a joke and doesn't force you to do anything unless you play it on Critical Mode.

It's the same in here, I'm so happy Draconian is a thing because as someone that played the game for 140 hours and did everything you can do in the game, it was so rewarding and insane at times.