• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

The Pharmercy

Oct 26, 2017
I want to give Berseria another shake because I enjoyed what I played but the battles felt weird, although I've never been great at any Tales of battle system.

Like I'd build up some of Velvet's resource, then go into her devil-y mode and do stuff and it was cool but felt like I was doing the same sort of thing a lot although that's probably my own fault.

I haven't played Vesperia since 2011 so as soon as I get my key and can DL it on Steam I will be a happy person ^_^

ara

Oct 26, 2017
I really hope Vesperia is better than Symphonia.
When I got around to playing that (after all the people swooning about it) it didn't even make my top 5 Tales games.

You've played 5 (or more) Tales games and none of them were Symphonia or Vesperia, probably the most popular entries in the series? That's wild.

But yeah, I think Vesperia is considerably better than Symphonia. In fact, aside from the relatively fun plot, I think Symphonia kind of sucks.

Durante

Dark Souls Man
Oct 24, 2017
You can see some detailed info about the PC version including what's in the settings here:

https://www.pcinvasion.com/tales-vesperia-definitive-pc-technical-review/
Thanks for this link!

MSAA and unlimited framerate? Nice.

Also makes the PC version of this the first >60 FPS "Tales of" game ever!

You've played 5 (or more) Tales games and none of them were Symphonia or Vesperia, probably the most popular entries in the series? That's wild.
Yeah, it worked out like that. I played the SNES entry, everything on PS2, Zestiria, Berseria and Xillia. (And most of those before Symphonia and now Vesperia)
I basically hate playing a game when a more "complete" version exists, so for Vesperia I was waiting on a PS3 localization and when that didn't materialize on the fan translation. Then it was so late that I really didn't want to deal with PS3 image quality and performance, so I waited for RPCS3 to get better at the game.

And here we are, and I'm going to get to play it on PC at 100 FPS and with great IQ. Everything worked out well in the end ;)

But yeah, I think Vesperia is considerably better than Symphonia. In fact, aside from the relatively fun plot, I think Symphonia kind of sucks.
Good to hear!

Illusionary

Oct 25, 2017
Manchester, UK
Coolshop are cancelling orders for the Premium Edition on Switch. I'm not sure whether they've had any stock at all of it.

Fortunately, I've still got a PS4 copy coming...

RoninChaos

Oct 26, 2017
Really disappointed that the game isn't enhanced for the pro or the X. I was planning on getting it for the X but may just stick with the switch.

Alent

Oct 28, 2017
I'm upset this game didn't arrive to me early like most games do, so still gotta wait until Friday. First time playing this (going with Switch version).

Oct 28, 2017
I went from being excited, to being unhappy at the lack of Xbox One X enhancements, then right back to playing Dragon Quest XI. If they ever patch it I'll buy it but not before.

Remo Williams

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 13, 2018
Someone on Reddit who apparently has the Xbox One version of the game claims that the game is 60 fps outside of battles as well (on Xbox One X, not necessarily on vanilla consoles), although that's based solely on their personal judgment. Maybe Dark1x or NXGamer could take a better look at it? In any case, it's true that the frame rate and resolution info has been removed from the official website (the page used to look like this).

PKrockin

Oct 25, 2017
Someone on Reddit who apparently has the Xbox One version of the game claims that the game is 60 fps outside of battles as well, although that's based solely on their personal judgment. Maybe Dark1x or NXGamer could take a better look at it? In any case, it's true that the frame rate and resolution info has been removed from the official website (the page used to look like this).
Given the Switch version apparently runs about 40-50 fps outside of battle at least in the early game according to one video's measurements I saw, I wouldn't be surprised if XB1 also runs significantly above 30 despite also, like Switch, being listed as just 30fps.

In Amber Clad

rather sultry
Aug 26, 2018
London
I guess it's just unlocked, like the Switch version appears to be. One X should be able to hit 60 then.

I have no idea when to expect my XBO Premium Edition :(

garion333

Oct 27, 2017
I love JRPGs but bounce off of just about every Tales game. Xilia is the only one I've spent a ton of time with. I've tried, off the top of my head, Berseria, Hearts (knowing this was a poor entry before playing it), Zestiria and Symphonia Chronicles. The stories are all too blah and the combat feels inconsequential to me.

I've always liked the look of the games, but that's just about all I've liked.

Is Vesperia the Tales game that will finally hook me?

BriGuy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I got bored of Beseria; do you think I would have better luck with this one?

Also, why in the blue hell does this have to come out like a week before KH3.

Luigi87

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I got bored of Beseria; do you think I would have better luck with this one?

Also, why in the blue hell does this have to come out like a week before KH3.
My own thoughts when comparing the two:
I played Vesperia years ago, and while I find the story to be a tad lackluster, the characters are fantastic.
Played Berseria last year and... The story was pretty good until a point, but the characters not quite as endearing. The combat was also incredibly button-mashy.

Overall I would definitely say Vesperia is the better game, with a combat system more interesting due to better resource management. (I really hate that Berseria lacks TP)

Oct 31, 2017
The Blocc
I would buy this game right now off GMG but pretty much every tales game goes down to like $20 by year end after its release. Wasn't Breseria tossed in a humble bundle within 12-16 months of its release or am I wrong on that?

Planning on getting it on switch as well, I'll wait for the best price before my GCU runs out in March, but man do I wanna jump back into this game after not finishing it as a kid.

Mifec

Oct 25, 2017
Ahh. Hmm.

I've never played this game but I already have Berseria and need to start that at some point. I'll wait till this is on sale and pick it up for $20 and under. I love jrpgs on PC.
You can get it for 34 bucks on Voidu if that means anything. I would recommend it over Berseria.

Timexy

Oct 30, 2017
Is Vesperia the Tales game that will finally hook me?

Probably. Vesperia is considered one of the best Tales of from die hard fans (including me), so if you don't like it maybe this series is not for you? It's certainly on my top 3.

If you liked Symphonia's combat you'll love Vesperia's as it's a better iteration of it and it's not as convoluted as recent games in the series in regard to weapons and weapon skills. The plot is also one of the best and follows the traditional 3 acts plot like older entries IIRC.

Lucifonz

Oct 27, 2017
United Kingdom
Coolshop are cancelling orders for the Premium Edition on Switch. I'm not sure whether they've had any stock at all of it.

Fortunately, I've still got a PS4 copy coming...

Yep my Switch Premium Edition got cancelled, less than 24hrs before the game launches. Absolute trash, it's now impossible to find the Switch Premium Edition for anything other than scalpers pricing.

Not sure whether to go digital or not bother with the game until it drops in price now.

Datrael

Oct 25, 2017
I got the switch premium edition today. Tested for a bit and the game does feel like it is unlocked frame rate outside of battles. You can feel the fps fluctuate a bit and it definetely does go above 30.

garion333

Oct 27, 2017
Probably. Vesperia is considered one of the best Tales of from die hard fans (including me), so if you don't like it maybe this series is not for you? It's certainly on my top 3.

If you liked Symphonia's combat you'll love Vesperia's as it's a better iteration of it and it's not as convoluted as recent games in the series in regard to weapons and weapon skills. The plot is also one of the best and follows the traditional 3 acts plot like older entries IIRC.

Thanks for the reply, it's encouraging. The more recent entries combat is impenetrable and I like dense systems.

Perhaps a step back in time with Tales is what I need.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Is there a spoiler free guide out there somewhere for the missable?

I believe there is one for the 360 original, which I beat many years ago, but this one has added content obviously.

Deleted member 18400

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm so excited that the DLC costumes are included for free.

I've spent way to much money on stupid ass DLC costumes in Tales of games.....

Oct 27, 2017
I've asked this already in the thread, but nobody answered me, so: For those of you that have had a chance to play the Switch version in handheld mode, what are you impressions on how the game looks and runs?

I really need an answer so I know if I should switch my pre-order.

Whatislove

Jan 2, 2019
Does anyone know how the trophies/achievements compare to the original? I'll eventually be picking this up and want to know if it's feasible to try and platinum the game.

chirt

Oct 25, 2017
Never played a Tales game before, seems to be a lot of hype around this one in particular.
I have Berseria on Steam (Humble Bundle I think?). Should I play that first to see if I like the style or is Vesperia much better?

Datrael

Oct 25, 2017
The switch version suffers severe random slow downs on some scenes and during exploration. Quite jarring to be honest.

Last edited:

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Never played a Tales game before, seems to be a lot of hype around this one in particular.
I have Berseria on Steam (Humble Bundle I think?). Should I play that first to see if I like the style or is Vesperia much better?

I think Vesperia is much better and probably the best game of the entire series. (That's why the hype is so big, hardly any other Tales game reached that quality again. People are starved for a truly great Tales game they even go back to an old one.)
The games also changed quite a bit over time, so in my opinion you don't necessarily need to play Berseria first to see if you like Vesperia.

Last edited:

Zippedpinhead

Oct 25, 2017
My copy has been on order since last summer and I am looking forward to it! It has been quite some time since I played this one!

Deleted member 46958

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 22, 2018
Was fighting Zagi yesterday night, and noticed there was no "secret mission" during the battle like in the original 360 version. That was originally tied to achievements.

Was this taken out for this version?

Datrael

Oct 25, 2017
I've asked this already in the thread, but nobody answered me, so: For those of you that have had a chance to play the Switch version in handheld mode, what are you impressions on how the game looks and runs?

It runs mostly the same as docked. A little less random slow downs for me undocked though.

It looks gorgeous too.

chirt

Oct 25, 2017
I think Vesperia is much better and probably the best game of the entire series. (That's why the hype is so big, hardly any other Tales game reached that quality again.) The games also changed quite a bit over time, so in my opinion you don't necessarily need to play Berseria first to see if you like Vesperia.

Got ya, thanks. I played the PS4 demo of Berseria a year or two ago and wasn't really feeling the combat much, but the demo was basically just wandering around a beach mashing X on crabs or something.
I'll keep an eye out for Vesperia on sale later this year. After I beat DQXI of course.

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017

See below.

As for perfomance; I played the first half docked, which seemed fine. Battles are smooth. Played about an hour in handheld mode and as of now, no complaints. Battles are still solid. I guess if you are keeping your eyes open for those technical issues its pretty important, but for me its less of an issue and I haven't noticed them as of yet.
Switch Version is not 30fps outside of battles, the framerate is uncapped and in the 50s most of the time in towns and 40s on the world map:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nQKDy9hOOOo

Oct 25, 2017
how does this game age in terms of combat vs the modern stuff? I got a mixed feeling about modern tales with the ever complex amount of systems, but I do enjoy not having to bother with TP since Graces. Usually just kept spamming normal attacks in symphonia team games lol.