• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Rainy

Oct 25, 2017
Luke is the best Tales protag. TotA also had a great story and the best opening! Also was the game that introduced free run iirc.

tommyv2

Nov 6, 2017
I finished the game and it kept going. I checked a walkthough and there was 1/3 of a game left to play.

One of the only JRPGs I ever bailed on and Luke is a unlikable jerk.

hwarang

Oct 27, 2017
Definitely agree with the world comment despite being a huge fan of the game, it was pretty inevitable unfortunately given it was Zestiria's world 2,000 years in the past so nothing had really been established yet, and what was there was just a bunch of re-used Zestiria locations. I will say I did enjoy the story for the most part though.

Act 1 was interesting in how you were assembling a crew of people who all wanted revenge, but gradually over time became a family.
Act 2....wasn't great. It literally was just a bunch of fetch quests that ultimately didn't matter to the plot, but I guess it was trying to serve the purpose of world-building.
Act 3 was fantastic though, going against the Abbey felt like I was going up against the God-Generals again, the big twist in the end actually gave some life to the world, and the character development that occurred felt so well-done and genuine.

I gave up 20 hours in. For what its worth I gave up at 7 hours for Zestiria. I think I just got fed up with the soulless gameplay. Vesper is is the closest modern Tales where the gameplay is immersive enough not to feel button mashy.

Berseria is just a spamfest and you're just spamming crap with no mana expense. Felt really odd to me from what I remember of it.

Vault

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
i'd take a million Luke like protagonists over Asbel any day

Vault

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
i need Abyss, Destiny DC, Rebirth and Legendia on modern hardware Bamco

Bit_Reactor

Banned
Apr 9, 2019
No joke: Luke Fon Fabre is the best Tales protagonist by virtue of actually having a character arc.
DGnwk80.gif

There are dozens of us!

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
I find it especially infuriating that:

Anise is LITERALLY a traitor and gets none of the vitriol Luke did, it's basically swept under the rug.
That's just how it is with Tales games.
Remember when Alvin shot Jude's childhood friend and everyone forgave him?
Good times.

alpha

Oct 25, 2017
I gave up 20 hours in. For what its worth I gave up at 7 hours for Zestiria. I think I just got fed up with the soulless gameplay. Vesper is is the closest modern Tales where the gameplay is immersive enough not to feel button mashy.

Berseria is just a spamfest and you're just spamming crap with no mana expense. Felt really odd to me from what I remember of it.

I haven't actually enjoyed Tales combat since Vesperia, including Graces which everyone else loves but I don't really. Xillia was like Vesperia but worse in terms of the combat as I recall it.

Hopefully I'll enjoy Arise as it seems to be going off reservation and trying something new.

Good times.

Yep.

That's why I enjoyed beating every square inch of Alvin's ass with Jude in that one-on-one fight. It was crazy that Leia herself forgave him so quickly and then they even went on to sorta imply some pairing shit with them later like WTF.

hwarang

Oct 27, 2017
I haven't actually enjoyed Tales combat since Vesperia, including Graces which everyone else loves but I don't really. Xillia was like Vesperia but worse in terms of the combat as I recall it.

Hopefully I'll enjoy Arise as it seems to be going off reservation and trying something new.

Glad I'm not alone in that regard. Its also ridiculously easy and heaven forbid I increase the difficulty unless I want to go up against health sponge enemies wherein its just tedious moronic design and not challenging.

Aether

Jan 6, 2018
JRPGs are a pain.
In almost every JRPG are many mature, great character moments... but in almost every JRPG they are covered in so much propes and anoying anime cliches that they often get overseen.

Luke had some greate moments, but the game did not feel as if it did that much that i did not already see in other jrpgs...but i cant pinpoint to them. And the game has the most pointless "go ther then go there" runaround fetch quests that it got just so tedious after half the game. The gameplay was worse than Symphonia And Vesperia (not that i played vesperia), and even phantasia feelt kinda more fun than abyss. abyss is fine, but there were just to many things. And Luke... yeah, my problem is less with luke and more with the group of assholes that are presented as his friends.

alpha

Oct 25, 2017
It honestly warms my heart to see so many people mention that the rest of the party in Abyss are the real assholes lol.

Tales of Graces is basically this too, except Asbel who's just derpy. That game is "grow up and become a dick to everyone" the game. Berseria is "everyone is an edgy dick from the beginning" the game lol.

Bit_Reactor

Banned
Apr 9, 2019
JRPGs are a pain.
In almost every JRPG are many mature, great character moments... but in almost every JRPG they are covered in so much propes and anoying anime cliches that they often get overseen.

Luke had some greate moments, but the game did not feel as if it did that much that i did not already see in other jrpgs...but i cant pinpoint to them. And the game has the most pointless "go ther then go there" runaround fetch quests that it got just so tedious after half the game. The gameplay was worse than Symphonia And Vesperia (not that i played vesperia), and even phantasia feelt kinda more fun than abyss. abyss is fine, but there were just to many things. And Luke... yeah, my problem is less with luke and more with the group of assholes that are presented as his friends.
I actually think that's one of the benefits of JRPGs in general in the sense that they mask often times real ass themes or problems behind what is decidedly "anime" moments and crazy over the top hijinks, resulting in this tonal shift that is USUALLY escalated properly. Things like Trigun for example where everything starts out silly and cheerful and goes darker and darker the longer you watch, or things like Tales of Abyss where the truth about Luke is shown, or the fact that one of the characters in XB2 wants to literally kill themselves and fools the hero into helping them.

I think it's something used typically to the point of excess, but I find merit in trying to hide the serious under the ludicrous or hilarious, because often the most tortured or painful moments in life are spent either trying to distract or pretend they didn't happen and often the reality of coming to grips with life being shitty is existential dread almost no one can really deal with.

I think things like FF12 that play their cards "straight" and stuff are phenomenal as well, versus FF7R which tries to kind of play its hijnks and serious moments too close back to back, but I do find it interesting when Anime and the like take what is a ridiculous set dressing and when you dig underneath it find that it's really about something like depression or just being a broken human. Shit's fun.

Lazybob

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I'm not sure I can play this again because I might get infuriated at how the party treats Luke. Lukes good. The party sucks. Fuck Anise.

OP
OP
SteelBeast6Beets
May 13, 2019
Good times.
If there any mainline game on this series that DOESN'T feature a traitor in the playable cast that's forgiven by everyone? The only one I can think of is Phantasia and that's only by virtue of being the first entry that predates most clichés of the franchise.

Kaze

Oct 28, 2017
Glad I'm not alone in that regard. Its also ridiculously easy and heaven forbid I increase the difficulty unless I want to go up against health sponge enemies wherein its just tedious moronic design and not challenging.
I don't like the Graces/Zestiria/Berseria style combat either but Abyss and Vesperia have very simple battle system and it's incredibly easy to do infinite combos in those.

If there any mainline game on this series that DOESN'T feature a traitor in the playable cast that's forgiven by everyone? The only one I can think of is Phantasia and that's only by virtue of being the first entry that predates most clichés of the franchise.
Yes? Destiny 2, Rebirth, Xillia 2, Zestiria. Probably others like Graces, Hearts and Innocence but I don't remember much.

Last edited:

Sterok

Oct 25, 2017
Abyss is the only Tales I've played, and while I never was able to understand the world or combat mechanics, Luke's whole arc was very memorable and one of the big reasons I remember the game fondly. Sounds like a pity none of the other protagonists have quite the same impact as him, though I'd still like to play Vesperia or Berseria someday.

Oct 30, 2017
Luke character development is among the best I've ever seen in any media... Tales of the Abyss is among my favourite games of all time for many reasons and Luke's character development is one of them.

Oct 25, 2017
Somewhere...
I'm happy that so many people liked Abyss. Definitely one of my favorites as well, and I love the lore/world building.
That haircut scene is also so memorable.
I wish the writer (Takumi Miyajima) wrote more things that is original and decent like this. I had high hopes but I heard some bad things about "Dark Rose Valkyrie", and I'm not really into mobile gacha games like "the Rays".

Modest_Modsoul

Living the Dreams
Oct 29, 2017
I just found out glitches in Abyss PS2 that you could actually access the Replica Factory, Skit Viewer, Monster Collector title for Tear, and all characters 2nd Mystic Artes; without second/more NG+ playthroughs.

After you defeat the last boss, save the new file in new slot, and just reload the last save before you fight the last boss, and voila...

Those some (not all) extra stuffs that should be available for NG+, are now playable.

OP
OP
SteelBeast6Beets
May 13, 2019
Yes? Destiny 2, Rebirth, Xillia 2, Zestiria. Probably others like Graces, Hearts and Innocence but I don't remember much.
That game actually gets TWO traitors, actually. Egregious, even by the standards of this series.

Guess Namco decided to dial down on the" traitor that gets a slap on the wrist" thing over the years.

Yinyangfooey

Oct 27, 2017
Tales of the Abyss is one of my favorite JRPGs ever since it actually has a good story.

Every one of the 6 God-Generals had believable motivations to join the big bad guy, and had connections to the main cast and were relevant to the plot. IMO, only Berseria even comes close to Abyss in terms of story

Aether

Jan 6, 2018
I actually think that's one of the benefits of JRPGs in general in the sense that they mask often times real ass themes or problems behind what is decidedly "anime" moments and crazy over the top hijinks, resulting in this tonal shift that is USUALLY escalated properly. Things like Trigun for example where everything starts out silly and cheerful and goes darker and darker the longer you watch, or things like Tales of Abyss where the truth about Luke is shown, or the fact that one of the characters in XB2 wants to literally kill themselves and fools the hero into helping them.

I think it's something used typically to the point of excess, but I find merit in trying to hide the serious under the ludicrous or hilarious, because often the most tortured or painful moments in life are spent either trying to distract or pretend they didn't happen and often the reality of coming to grips with life being shitty is existential dread almost no one can really deal with.

I think things like FF12 that play their cards "straight" and stuff are phenomenal as well, versus FF7R which tries to kind of play its hijnks and serious moments too close back to back, but I do find it interesting when Anime and the like take what is a ridiculous set dressing and when you dig underneath it find that it's really about something like depression or just being a broken human. Shit's fun.
Im mixed on this. If it works, shure. FF9 is handling it quite well i have to say, after replaying it. But more ofthen then not the depth gets held back by the anime tropes, and sometimes they go straigt against the themes they try to tackle. Or developers dont take kare of consistency in motivation and morals of characters, where its okay to do one think nut once the store needs it its not okay.
While where at the example of Abyss, i experienced JRPGs where at one point killing a bad guy got presented as a big thing, but all the enemies till then...yeah, lets asume every soldier that i afackte with a fire breathing dragon, thunder magic and a battle axe is just passed out... and with abyss in concrete: the main cast is so stupid in so many ways that lukes development and his remourse just looks silly. Almost all of them are bad people, that could solve half the problems at the spot if they would not wait for a convenient moment to share there backstory/motivation....
Thas also the reason why so many were fans thought Yuri was "sooo deeep"... since he was older than 6 and did react and think slightly more mature then the average anime/shonen protagonist.
JRPGs HAVE the potential... but ofthen, they lack the self awareness and restraint do pull it of in my opinion (spoken as a JRPG/anime fan that gets kindy anoyed by this stuff, since he knows how good stuff can gett)

@Trigun: long past since i watched it, but would not compare it. there were no moments where you facepalmed because vash acted against his natural progression, or characters keep secrets of stuff that could help.

I find it especially infuriating that:

Anise is LITERALLY a traitor and gets none of the vitriol Luke did, it's basically swept under the rug.
Good times.

Mudo

Oct 25, 2017
Tennessee
Just want to pop in and say
Abyss may be my favorite Tales game!
I love the cast and once you get used to the jargon, I really liked the world lore and story.
I really need to replay this at some point.

Also, I despised Luke for a long while but ended up really liking him too in the end .

Bit_Reactor

Banned
Apr 9, 2019
Im mixed on this. If it works, shure. FF9 is handling it quite well i have to say, after replaying it. But more ofthen then not the depth gets held back by the anime tropes, and sometimes they go straigt against the themes they try to tackle. Or developers dont take kare of consistency in motivation and morals of characters, where its okay to do one think nut once the store needs it its not okay.
While where at the example of Abyss, i experienced JRPGs where at one point killing a bad guy got presented as a big thing, but all the enemies till then...yeah, lets asume every soldier that i afackte with a fire breathing dragon, thunder magic and a battle axe is just passed out... and with abyss in concrete: the main cast is so stupid in so many ways that lukes development and his remourse just looks silly. Almost all of them are bad people, that could solve half the problems at the spot if they would not wait for a convenient moment to share there backstory/motivation....
Thas also the reason why so many were fans thought Yuri was "sooo deeep"... since he was older than 6 and did react and think slightly more mature then the average anime/shonen protagonist.
JRPGs HAVE the potential... but ofthen, they lack the self awareness and restraint do pull it of in my opinion (spoken as a JRPG/anime fan that gets kindy anoyed by this stuff, since he knows how good stuff can gett)

@Trigun: long past since i watched it, but would not compare it. there were no moments where you facepalmed because vash acted against his natural progression, or characters keep secrets of stuff that could help.
Right there's definitely plenty of misses versus the hits, for sure. Just saying I find it endearing as a methodology. Normally WEstern Media and media people favor as "mature" almost entirely revolves around hitting one "note" of tone throughout its execution, and I find it interesting that the same game that has for example a cross dressing mercenary pretending can also address huge themes of loss and death in a way like FF7 does.

BaconHat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Another great detail about it is that optional convos and Luke diary recapping the game events shows that he never stops feeling remorse for killing people, up until the end of the game.

ED Cantu

Oct 28, 2017
I remember that detail caught my attention when I played the game the first time, and the cool thing is that it doesn't go away, normally one would think that Luke would get used to it with time but it's brought back near the end of the game by Jade.

Abyss is one of my favorite Tales game, the story is great and the characters and the world were really interesting.
It's too bad that Abyss was the first "anniversary" title so every time the game could get a Remaster because of it's own anniversary like Symphonia or Vesperia it is the anniversary of the whole series and a new game is about to come out, still I hope that we could get an HD Remaster soon or better yet a full remake.

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Luke has what is probably the best character development in the entire series.

Damn shame the latter half of Tales of the Abyss has some baffling stupid writing (nearly everything involving Anise, Ion, and Arietta).

Firima

Oct 27, 2017
No joke: Luke Fon Fabre is the best Tales protagonist by virtue of actually having a character arc.

Abyss has a great story with a great cast but the game got shit on because it released at a time when people wanted dattebayo protagonist-kuns in their anime games and not a bunch of terrible people just trying to find their way in the world.

hwarang

Oct 27, 2017
Abyss has a great story with a great cast but the game got shit on because it released at a time when people wanted dattebayo protagonist-kuns in their anime games and not a bunch of terrible people just trying to find their way in the world.

By Japan or America?

As someone in the states, I was just grateful it got released.

Cess007

Oct 27, 2017
B.C., Mexico
Tales of the Abyss is one of my favorite JRPGs ever since it actually has a good story.

Every one of the 6 God-Generals had believable motivations to join the big bad guy, and had connections to the main cast and were relevant to the plot. IMO, only Berseria even comes close to Abyss in terms of story

One of my favorite things too. Largo, Legretta, Dist, Asch, and (specially) Sync have great backstories that make them very interesting antagonists and somehow reflections of some of the main cast.

Last edited:

PAFenix

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 21, 2019
They blow past him killing that random soldier because it's an RPG and gotta level up somehow!

I remember that detail caught my attention when I played the game the first time, and the cool thing is that it doesn't go away, normally one would think that Luke would get used to it with time but it's brought back near the end of the game by Jade.

I stand corrected. I never made it to end game, so to see that they brought this up again is major props.

I will echo what others have said already about the rest of the party treating him like shit over
Van's obvious manipulations.

waugh

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Feb 21, 2020
I hated Luke so much I dropped Abyss and never looked back. What an absolutely insufferable character with a terrible design on top of it and awful voice acting

CrazyHal

Nov 1, 2017
I can get behind this thread. Luke is one of the most well written video game protagonist ever. Some people hate him because he's deeply flawed but those flaws is what makes him feel like a real human being. His behavior is just very believable. The way he acts like a spoiled brat because of his shelter life, how he's afraid to kill people because he's never known war and death, the regret and sadness he feel for what he's done and the identity crisis he goes trought.

Arcana Wiz

Oct 26, 2017

Actually about Xillia 2 and Graces

I know it's easy to miss but the game later says that Richard WASNT entirely controlled by the main villain, and that he's at some fault for all the events of the game. And for someone who wanted to end the world and killed many people of every kingdom... He continues his life without many repercussions, and joins the party in the "epilogue" (that have a duration of 20+ hours) with everyone acting very friendly towards him

If you think Xillia 2 as a continuation of the first game, Musee had it very lightly after essentially killing Milla and almost fucking the world. And she even joins the cast temporary and have some skits before betraying the party. And there is Gaius who was the final boss of X1 but he never acted like he would help the party, but it was funny how casually he joins in the sequel.

Kroz

Jul 4, 2019
Super happy that Abyss got a thread. I've been preaching for years about how amazing the characters are written. I've never cried at a game yet but the most emotional I've ever got is in this game at the climax of Luke's small suicide arc. I also felt so refreshing in that scene where he first fights humans. Up until that point its just monster and such, only for him to have a very real reaction to having to kill another person. All the characters have very good arcs, even the villains as people have mentioned. I always recommend Abyss to people when they ask which is a good tales game to start with. As mentioned it's got great writing and its a good in between from Symphonia and Vesperia in terms of combat complexity.

This is getting me especially riled up as I am currently giving another shot at Zestiria and boy are all the characters boring. Sorey just feels like Asbel 2.0 with his happy go lucky shonen-like personality. The beginning of the game happens so fast and he just immediately goes and becomes the in universe version of the Avatar and adapts to it without even giving him any breathing room to get to know him. Combat in that game so freaking unneededly complex for no reason. It's like the battle system has a bunch of micro mechanics in a vain attempt to be 'deep'.Don't even get me started on the nonsense weapon upgrade/fusion system.

I hear Berseria is a much better game so trying to knock this one out of my way so I can finally check that one out.
Here's hoping Tales of Arise doesn't make the same mistakes.

Aether

Jan 6, 2018
Right there's definitely plenty of misses versus the hits, for sure. Just saying I find it endearing as a methodology. Normally WEstern Media and media people favor as "mature" almost entirely revolves around hitting one "note" of tone throughout its execution, and I find it interesting that the same game that has for example a cross dressing mercenary pretending can also address huge themes of loss and death in a way like FF7 does.
Amusingly, FF9 does it in a way more cutesy and at the same time more reflective and mature way then 7 (i love FF6-9, just replaying 7 and 8 last year and 9 now, i have seen that it does a lot of things better than FF7 in that regard... probably because death is death and no force ghost bullshit like with the extended media of FF7)

But your point stands, if its done good, it can be more effective than the western aproach.

SheriffMcDuck

Oct 27, 2017
I hated Luke so much I dropped Abyss and never looked back. What an absolutely insufferable character with a terrible design on top of it and awful voice acting
Opinion's can't be wrong, besides this one. Especially this one.(/s if it's not obvious) I thought his design and voice acting were both top tier for their time. Voice acting especially, Abyss in general has really good voice work for the main characters.

How far in did you get? I think a lot of people that did give up on him miss out on the reality of his situation which is completely understandable early in the game, because he is insufferable before he develops. That's the point though.

Now, it is a weird balance, because I know a lot of people would drop a game an hour in if they don't like the protagonist, but then you don't really give the character a chance to develop. But many video games aren't known for fantastic character arcs, so I see both sides.

I feel like I tend to stick with games/books a lot longer than others to see if they stick around though, and it has burned me so that's how it goes sometimes.

XaviConcept

Art Director for Videogames
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah except the first character arc is "this main character sucks s hard Im probably going to quit the game in an hour"

Id love for more RPGs to have more interesting arcs that arent dependent on the character being an insufferable deuche

Cudpug

Nov 9, 2017
Haven't played it since I was a teenager, but I really did love the cast in this game. For me, Abyss and Symphonia are the pinnacle of the series. It's sad none of the others have managed to match the quality IMO.

Bit_Reactor

Banned
Apr 9, 2019
Amusingly, FF9 does it in a way more cutesy and at the same time more reflective and mature way then 7 (i love FF6-9, just replaying 7 and 8 last year and 9 now, i have seen that it does a lot of things better than FF7 in that regard... probably because death is death and no force ghost bullshit like with the extended media of FF7)

But your point stands, if its done good, it can be more effective than the western aproach.
Haha I think my text comes off more assertive than I mean it to. I speculate that it's very interesting that Anime and Japanese media does it but I see the merits and quality of each equally when done right. And yeah 9 is my favorite FF so I could sing its praises all day haha.

OP
OP
SteelBeast6Beets
May 13, 2019
Yeah except the first character arc is "this main character sucks s hard Im probably going to quit the game in an hour"

Id love for more RPGs to have more interesting arcs that arent dependent on the character being an insufferable deuche
Keep on mind that a protagonist like Luke was pretty rare back then, specially on this series. It was quite the novelty to play as an unapologetic prick. I continued playing the game solely because of that got me intriged.

XaviConcept

Art Director for Videogames
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Keep on mind that a protagonist like Luke was pretty rare back then, specially on this series. It was quite the novelty to play as an unapologetic prick. I continued playing the game solely because of that got me intriged.
Cant speak for other Tales games, but in 2005 the 4 previous biggest RPGs in the world, Final Fantasy VII, VIII, IX and X all featured unapologetic pricks as their main character. It was hardly new, it was more like the norm.