• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

SmokedSalmon

Apr 1, 2019
I hope they serve royal crablettes at that anniversary party.

I think one of my favorite features of some of the 3D Tales games is how awkward the victory animations are. Like, if the person in the video hadn't pressed any buttons, Pascel would just be blankly staring off screen in the direction of Richard and Sophie with her hand held in the air.

Tales of Zestiria had a ton of really unintentionally funny victory animations in this regard. If I ever have some time to replay the game I'll have to make a super cut of them.

Rpgmonkey

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, obviously everyone should always set there expectations to low for these kinds of things, but Bamco did say they would look into remasters for Tales of based of of fan request last year. So, maybe?

I mean I'm sure they were going to look into remasters without having to explicitly say they were. They're really common these days and the Symphonia remaster likely already did well enough years ago to convince them to make a Vesperia remaster, and the Vesperia remaster will encourage an eventual Graces remaster, and so on. Maybe they'll even figure out something with Destiny 2, Rebirth, and Destiny R (and hopefully not in the form of really low budget 3D games...).

But everyone has their own schedule on when and how to release remasters, and while things can certainly change, in recent years they've preferred to put all their attention into one console release at a time. The Symphonia remaster didn't immediately lead to the Vesperia one, they waited for a good break in the schedule and only then went for it.

Danthrax

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Northeast Ohio

I think one of my favorite features of some of the 3D Tales games is how awkward the victory animations are. Like, if the person in the video hadn't pressed any buttons, Pascel would just be blankly staring off screen in the direction of Richard and Sophie with her hand held in the air.

Tales of Zestiria had a ton of really unintentionally funny victory animations in this regard. If I ever have some time to replay the game I'll have to make a super cut of them.

Haha there it is. Sophie has a couple other quotes about crablettes, too.

It got to the point that my girlfriend and I went out and bought a fresh crab leg and made our own crablettes. (They were really good, too.)

Oct 27, 2017
I don't care if they add nothing to the game. If they rerelease it on Switch, I will buy it ASAP. I will also accept PC. I don't know if I even finished the English version

Bit_Reactor

Banned
Apr 9, 2019
Asbel did nothing wrong....sort of. Please leave this traumatized child alone. ;__;

Not to be that person who does this, I'm going to be that person who does this, a lot of these games seem like they would be perfect for Switch, don't they. Symphonia would be great as well for the system.

Speaking of Symphonia, its too bad that that remaster that they did was so bare bones. Oh well, I think they Xillia games will be next if they do go for the Graces remaster.
I'm worried of saying it outright because I've seen people get banned/port begging warnings. I do agree though.

I put almost 300 hours into Vesperia through two playthroughs on Switch, and still haven't been able to get through the end of Persona 5 because it's locked on that platform.

I understand if it doesn't come to switch and won't complain, but I'll always hope for it :P

SmokedSalmon

Apr 1, 2019
Time to get yourselves familiar with Tales of Graces again.

It takes Asbel 31 seconds until he says "mamoru." Amazing!

I mean I'm sure they were going to look into remasters without having to explicitly say they were. They're really common these days and the Symphonia remaster likely already did well enough years ago to convince them to make a Vesperia remaster, and the Vesperia remaster will encourage an eventual Graces remaster, and so on. Maybe they'll even figure out something with Destiny 2, Rebirth, and Destiny R (and hopefully not in the form of really low budget 3D games...).

But everyone has their own schedule on when and how to release remasters, and while things can certainly change, in recent years they've preferred to put all their attention into one console release at a time. The Symphonia remaster didn't immediately lead to the Vesperia one, they waited for a good break in the schedule and only then went for it.
That's a fair point. It would probably be safer to expect nothing and be happy when something is announced.

I'm worried of saying it outright because I've seen people get banned/port begging warnings. I do agree though.

I put almost 300 hours into Vesperia through two playthroughs on Switch, and still haven't been able to get through the end of Persona 5 because it's locked on that platform.

I understand if it doesn't come to switch and won't complain, but I'll always hope for it :P
Yeah, I suppose that's something to worry about. I'm sort of new so I'll remember that for the future. I play most to all of my games on PC though, but I think the convinces of a wide range of platforms is always ideal. :)

Kamon

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Didn't I hear people talking about how the Switch port for Vesperia was buggy/ran poorly? Did they patch that, or were reports greatly exaggerated?

Bit_Reactor

Banned
Apr 9, 2019
Didn't I hear people talking about how the Switch port for Vesperia was buggy/ran poorly? Did they patch that, or were reports greatly exaggerated?

GREATLY exaggerated imo. I played all handheld and had like zero issues.

I know someone had some issues with crashing and I had a crash or two in my first playthrough, but I'm not a "Gotta be 60fps and 1080p" kinda guy.

I had no problems aside from maybe a few frame hitches on the world map in the beginning that I could notice.

DannyGlover

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I only have the foggiest memories of Tales of Graces F, but I remember loving:

1. The combat. Just trying to jog my memory, I think there were a and b attacks and they each used a certain amount of points (sp?) instead of some attacks requiring TP. You built up more sp by doing good combos or evading attacks (which made the backstep so useful compared to other tales games).
2. Relative ease of super arts. I think in the F portion of Graces F, each character built up a super art so you could pop it pretty easily. Just made combat more fun.
3. Pascal - Just loved her enthusiasm for everything. She also had a sister named after a science term, I can't remember her name. My guess would be Tesla or Voltaire.

Kamon

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I know someone had some issues with crashing and I had a crash or two in my first playthrough, but I'm not a "Gotta be 60fps and 1080p" kinda guy.

I had no problems aside from maybe a few frame hitches on the world map in the beginning that I could notice.
Huh, that's great news! I wanted to get Vesperia for Switch, but when I heard about the problems I held back... But the problems are really that minor, huh? Wow. I just saw that Vesperia was on sale in the Switch eshop, so I guess I'll go get that... Thanks for letting me know!

DannyGlover

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017

Just want to add that the slowdown issue might not be Switch specific. I'm playing the PS4 version on a base PS4 and notice slowdown in some locations (Mantaic seems really weird with the framerate).

Zetta

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Still waiting for Abyss. :(

giphy.gif

Bit_Reactor

Banned
Apr 9, 2019
Huh, that's great news! I wanted to get Vesperia for Switch, but when I heard about the problems I held back... But the problems are really that minor, huh? Wow. I just saw that Vesperia was on sale in the Switch eshop, so I guess I'll go get that... Thanks for letting me know!

Anything that gets a good RPG another sale makes me happy. The writing and characters are great. Let me know if you DO see any stuttering or anything though because I'd be curious to test on mine just out of curiosity if I'm just not seeing it or not.

Just want to add that the slowdown issue might not be Switch specific. I'm playing the PS4 version on a base PS4 and notice slowdown in some locations (Mantaic seems really weird with the framerate).

Really? Interesting. I think I remember ONE area having some weirdness but can't for the life of me remember it. Again I'm not a big FPS guy so I may be one of those people who "doesn't see" the changes in 60FPs so much.

One of these days...I hope they don't consider the 3DS version the one and done port. I think it will happen, just not anytime soon.

Something something "my axe"

On topic, I've never heard anything about this specific title as I fell off the wagon between Vesperia and Berseria, due to Vesperia going to a console I wouldn't get (Xbox) and then not releasing the definitive version in the west when it came to Japan. Seems the consensus is a divisive or bad story but with excellent combat. The bad OST is a bummer as I know Motoi is capable of greatness but Tales Fatigue really got to him a while back.

I'm still willing to give it a go if it comes to Switch though. Would prefer Berseria and Abyss though.

MrSaturn99

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I live in a giant bucket.

It's more so the cheesy-ass victory quotes that get me.

"Is fighting...the only answer?"
"The difference is so obvious."
"Oh, over already?"

Second-hand embarrassment right there, lol.

ED Cantu

Oct 28, 2017
While I agree that Graces quite possibly has the best combat system of the series, I barely was able to stand the characters (except for Pascal) and it's story, so I don't know if I would play it again from start to finish even with a remaster.

One of these days...I hope they don't consider the 3DS version the one and done port. I think it will happen, just not anytime soon.
Something something "my axe"
I think that aside from the 3DS port that came out in 2011/2012 the main problem with Abyss is that it was the first "Anniversary" tittle of the series, in this case it was released for the 10th anniversary. So for example in 2015 when it was Abyss' 10th anniversary and one would hope for a remaster a la Symphonia, it was also the Series' 20th anniversary and Zestiria was released in January of that year to celebrate it (Berseria was announced in June of that year too).

And the same thing is going to happen next year when it will be the 15th anniversary of Abyss along with Arise's launch, still I hope that after Vesperia it will be Abyss turn for a remaster (heck the game deserves a full remake IMO) regardless of a commemoration of an anniversary or not.

John Harker

Knows things...
Oct 27, 2017
Santa Destroy
Are any of these as good as Synphonia?
I know there are fans of all of them and of course to many the answer is "yes of course," but honestly Symphonia just dropped at a time that was perfect and it brought such a strong cast together, it was to me the most "mainstream" of Tales games that it just clicked.

I played Symphonia 2 and then just kind of drifted off it, but would consider a newer one for the right mix of cast/story/innovation (without too much of the tropey loli anime girl stuff that's creeping in my Xenoblades)

Oct 27, 2017
Are any of these as good as Synphonia?
I know there are fans of all of them and of course to many the answer is "yes of course," but honestly Symphonia just dropped at a time that was perfect and it brought such a strong cast together, it was to me the most "mainstream" of Tales games that it just clicked.

I played Symphonia 2 and then just kind of drifted off it, but would consider a newer one for the right mix of cast/story/innovation (without too much of the tropey loli anime girl stuff that's creeping in my Xenoblades)
I've really enjoyed Vesperia. Got re-released earlier this year for Switch, Xbox, PS4, and Steam. The protagonist Yuri is really cool and I have really enjoyed the cast and story thus far.

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
Graces has the best combat, and the supporting cast are all good to great. It's just Asbel and Cheria that let the game down.

The early child arc helps for character investment too.

Hate

Oct 26, 2017
Pls remake, remaster, port whatever just let me play it on current gen or even next gen.

Dukie85

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
I'd love for Graces to end up on Switch. Vesperia and Graces on Switch is more than I could ask for (except for Abyss, Symphonia, Legendia, Eternia, Phantasia.... Yeah...).

CielTynave

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah these sort of streams don't really amount to much, at most they could announce some event in Rays, but aside from that it's probably just gonna be voice actors talking and doing cheesy skits in character.

Eppcetera

Mar 3, 2018
I played through it twice on PS3, so I'm not going to buy it again. I'm equally amazed by how great Graces' combat is and how terrible its story is. I became so disgusted by the narrative's stupidity that I regularly skipped cutscenes about halfway through the second playthrough, which I almost never do. I find the story's badness all the more perplexing since I'm fine with most of the main cast and like their interactions in the skits well enough.

Aurica

音楽オタク - Comics Council 2020
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
So the afternoon event has ended, and there was no major announcement that I found. There is still a night event in a few hours, so we'll see then if anything of note takes place.

Aexact

Oct 30, 2017
Graces has the best combat, and the supporting cast are all good to great. It's just Asbel and Cheria that let the game down.

The early child arc helps for character investment too.
Man, I think I generally see people down on the child arc but I really enjoyed it. It was a nice setup of context.

It made Asbel being an idiot about Richard easier to swallow.
... I mean. I understand the hate. But I was willing to go along with it.

Nilou

Oct 25, 2017
I adore every game in the tales series but Tales of Graces F is my favorite in the series. The characters, story, childhood ark, watercolor look, battle system being so much fun, etc... I'd adore a remaster of this for PS4 <3

Valcrist

Tic-Tac-Toe Champion
Oct 25, 2017
Tales of for me is about gameplay, looking great alone is secondary at most. That's why Graces is still one of my favorite Tales title, even if story and everything else is mediocre downright to terrible.
But you don't know if Arise's gameplay is good or not since you haven't played it. Kind of an odd response to my post.

vEFzS7q.gif

Biestmann

Oct 25, 2017
Graces is a steaming pile of poop, and Asbel an insufferable twerp. I guess I'd still be happy about more Tales games on modern consoles, though, particularly PC.