• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
This looks incredible production-quality wise, but I really think the crossover unit aspect feels like a mistake here. It's weird to have this plot be so focused on the idea of your playing as a party of sinners and outcasts yet your supposedly being accompanied by characters from completely different continuities and circumstances? I try not to be that guy that complains about Gacha, but this whole premise seems more suited for a console title that doesn't need an excuse to have pulls as a monetization strategy.

ahdurian

Oct 25, 2017
probably going to play it but I wish it was a standalone and not a Gacha...but oh well

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
They're treating this as sort of a mainline title in terms of effort and production value, so I'll definitely check it out.

This'll be the first simultaneous worldwide release in the history of the Tales franchise. Arise will also be simultaneous.

SmokedSalmon

Apr 1, 2019
This looks incredible production-quality wise, but I really think the crossover unit aspect feels like a mistake here. It's weird to have this plot be so focused on the idea of your playing as a party of sinners and outcasts yet your supposedly being accompanied by characters from completely different continuities and circumstances? I try not to be that guy that complains about Gacha, but this whole premise seems more suited for a console title that doesn't need an excuse to have pulls as a monetization strategy.
Form the way they've been talking about it, it seems like the main story will focus on the new party while the side stories will focus on the crossover characters. Seeing how many crossover characters there are in the trailer though, I'm not sure how it will actually work in practice.

I agree that I would have loved this as a console game. I wish such an interesting setting would be saved for a mothership title. Still excited though.

Jakenbakin

Jun 17, 2018
I was like whaaat this is already coming out?! Then I realized I was thinking of Tales of Arise lol.

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Does this still have no release date?

Will only be interested if it's one huge server with Global and JP, that way there's way less of a chance that the game gets shut down after 4 months. Yes, I'm still burned on Tales of the Rays.

Also I'm already doing two gacha games. I can't go back to 3, though after Skadi releases, I'll probably have zero reason to whale for new FGO characters.

Form the way they've been talking about it, it seems like the main story will focus on the new party while the side stories will focus on the crossover characters. Seeing how many crossover characters there are in the trailer though, I'm not sure how it will actually work in practice.

I agree that I would have loved this as a console game. I wish such an interesting setting would be saved for a mothership title. Still excited though.
I wouldn't be surprised if at some point in this game's life it was a mothership title, but trying to release this after Berseria which has a very similar premise (party of persona non grata that is opposed to the oppressive world order) would've been a bad idea.

Zutter

Oct 19, 2018
Looks surprisingly good. I only play one other gacha so im definitely here for this.

Brazil

Actual Brazilian
Oct 24, 2017
SĂŁo Paulo, Brazil
I don't trust a Tales of mobile game to last more than a year in the West.

I wish I could say I won't even give it the time of day, but I'm not that strong ;_;

Edit: Patricidal Edge holy shit

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
Does this still have no release date?

Will only be interested if it's one huge server with Global and JP, that way there's way less of a chance that the game gets shut down after 4 months. Yes, I'm still burned on Tales of the Rays.

Also I'm already doing two gacha games. I can't go back to 3, though after Skadi releases, I'll probably have zero reason to whale for new FGO characters.
Early May beta in some English regions to test stability, followed by launch in June. Both regions share the same server.

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
Yup that's a Tales game alright.

I think they found their groove with writing Anti-hero(???) stories like with Berseria and to a smaller extend Vesperia, at least to me those were more interesting than their standard straight-laced hero stories.

Not sure how the whole crossover thing is gonna factor in though.

Oct 25, 2017
Somewhere...
Somewhat looking forward to it, but looking at the plethora of AP/BP gauges on the main screen, It's that "pay or wait a few hours to progress" kind of mobile game, I guess.

Vicious also seem like the character that "unlocks" the Transgressor crest's power? Wonder what's his story.

I think this time they're integrating the old characters into the new world/setting. Not sure how well it'll be executed, but it's at least a change.

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Lol, I forgot this was turn based combat.

What a weird decision considering no other game I can think of in the franchise is turn-based.

Kaze

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah, it looks decent but the crossover aspect looks so out of place. I don't know why Bamco is making so many gacha Tales games.

Weird they got Wit studio to do the animation for this instead of Ufotable.
Wit Studio has done the animation for Asteria and the Rays so nothing weird, they're just doing side games while Ufotable is doing the main games.

OP
OP
Refrain

Refrain

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, it looks decent but the crossover aspect looks so out of place. I don't know why Bamco is making so many gacha Tales games.

Wit Studio has done the animation for Asteria and the Rays so nothing weird, they're just doing side games while Ufotable is doing the main games.
The crossover doesn't have anything to do with the main plot for now but it sure does look weird.

GasProblem

Prophet of Truth
Nov 18, 2017
Wow, I see I can pre register on the EU Play Store. A load of games don't make it over here but I guess this one will. I love Tales. More excited for Arise, but I'll try this one out.

Ryengeku

Oct 26, 2017
Georgia, US
How is this the final trailer and still no release date?...smh.

Lol, I forgot this was turn based combat.

What a weird decision considering no other game I can think of in the franchise is turn-based.
I think Tales of Link was also a turn-based game. It was also mobile but wasn't full 3D models like this one is.

I'm sure they're reluctant in trying out a turn-based Tales Of game on console but it would have been cool though. Maybe this could get ported to the Switch at some point seeing as it's seemingly popular with mobile ports.

Last edited:

ED Cantu

Oct 28, 2017
I wasn't too happy with yet another crossover mobile Tales game until I found out how they are going to handle it, so instead of the typical "oh this character comes from another world" they are going to take characters from previous games but change their back stories and motivations to work as if they were always part of Crestoria's world, that and supposedly they will only appear on side stories and not the main plot.

Now my only problem is that the battle system is going to be turn based which is really weird for a Tales game and honestly makes me lose interest, but eh I'll still check it out at launch.

Fisico

Oct 27, 2017
Paris
I think Tales of Link was also a turn-based game. It was also mobile but wasn't full 3D models like this one is.

If we look at spin-off there were others non real time battle Tales, Summoner's Lineage, Dice Adventure, Asteria and the older mobile Tales whose name I forgot.
But Crestoria is clearly the highest profile title a non real time battle Tales has ever been, they probably didn't make this choice lightly.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
Do we have any tentative release day yet?
They also mentioned launching early in some parts of the world in May to test network infrastructure. Typically that includes Australia, NZ, etc:
This title will be the first game in Tales series history to release simultaneously worldwide. We hope that fans all over the world will be able to play and get excited about the game together. To that end, we will be conducting an open beta test of the English version during early May in order to assess network load in certain regions.

We understand that some of those beta test players may post details about the game and the first part of the story on their social media or other outlets. However, this is a necessary measure to ensure that our fans all over the world will be able to play the game without network-related issues. Thank for your understanding.
www.gematsu.com

Tales of Crestoria launches in early June, open beta test set for early May

Tales of Crestoria will for iOS and Android in early June simultaneously worldwide, and an open beta test will be held in early may, Bandai Namco announced.

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017
They said June so I guess early June.
They also mentioned launching early in some parts of the world in May to test network infrastructure. Typically that includes Australia, NZ, etc:

www.gematsu.com

Tales of Crestoria launches in early June, open beta test set for early May

Tales of Crestoria will for iOS and Android in early June simultaneously worldwide, and an open beta test will be held in early may, Bandai Namco announced.

Thanks! :)

Goda

Oct 26, 2017
Toronto
Not sure if anyone is playing this right now. I just went through the tutorial and the game seems pretty cool

I really like the opening movie and music.

I'll be back with more impressions tomorrow.

KCS

Oct 27, 2017
Outside of the billion crashes I get, I'm loving the game. Story is engaging, and I like the art and characters. I love turn based rpg, so this is a dream come true for me. Seriously though the game crashes out of the asshole, especially on an emulator. The translation is also very very weird.

OP
OP
Refrain

Refrain

Oct 27, 2017
Outside of the billion crashes I get, I'm loving the game. Story is engaging, and I like the art and characters. I love turn based rpg, so this is a dream come true for me. Seriously though the game crashes out of the asshole, especially on an emulator. The translation is also very very weird.
How is the gacha?

nath999

May 7, 2018
Jebaited me into thinking I was going to get to play another Tales game before Arise.

Natiko

Oct 25, 2017
So how much of a game is it? I find most gacha games end up trivializing the gameplay with automation and what not.