• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

How hyped are you for Arise

• Courage is the magic that turns dreams into reality.

Votes: 265 41.9%
  • Tidal wave!

Votes: 149 23.5%
  • Prepare to die, eggbear!

Votes: 95 15.0%
  • Fresh mutton, fresh mutton

Votes: 124 19.6%

• Total voters

SmokedSalmon

Apr 1, 2019
Zestiria and Baba left a very bad stain on the series. I just see them trying to make a clean break, even despite the fact Berseria really pulled it weight to keep confidence in the series.
Zestiria still gets a lot of love in cross over titles, not to mention Mikleo was voted the most popular character at the 2017 Fes. In fact you can find snippets of video that people recorded from the Festivals since Zestiria launched and people respond very positively when Zestiria characters come onto stage. I think a lot of people misunderstand a lot of the controversy behind the game and just assume everyone hates it. Though, I guess from reading the forum, everyone hates it too here.

MegaXZero

One Winged Slayer
Jun 21, 2018
Zestiria still gets a lot of love in cross over titles, not to mention Mikleo was voted the most popular character at the 2017 Fes. In fact you can find snippets of video that people recorded from the Festivals since Zestiria launched and people respond very positively when Zestiria characters come onto stage. I think a lot of people misunderstand a lot of the controversy behind the game and just assume everyone hates it. Though, I guess from reading the forum, everyone hates it too here.
I mean the Japanese Fujo fans have a lot of reason to like Zestiria.

Qvoth

Oct 26, 2017
is baba back with bamco?
this looks quite good
wonder if it's him holding the tales series all along

SmokedSalmon

Apr 1, 2019
is baba back with bamco?
this looks quite good
wonder if it's him holding the tales series all along
I'm pretty sure all we know is that he's left SE. I don't really see him going back to Bandai Namco and I don't really think the timeline would match up anyways with this game being in development while he was at SE.

ULTROS!

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So much for Tales using an exclusive alphabet anymore.

People will get confused with TotA (Abyss) and ToA (Arise).

LuuKyK

Oct 29, 2017
Brazil
The plot being about two planets etc reminds me a bit of Final Fantasy XIII (Cocoon/Gran Pulse).

Bruh really. Every single time they announce a Tales game. Every. Single. Time.

There will be more characters obviously. They don't reveal them all at once.

Jeez, it was just a question no need to get so defensive...

Anyway, watching the trailer again you can see a different character at 1:10, not sure if she is an ally or a villain.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
Bit worried about what combat is now, but the rest looked rad. Hope skits stay as is, and don't shift to 3D cutscenes. The insane volume that lets them touch on anything and everything is what makes them so much fun!

Ardiloso

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Brazil
I'm loving that girl design. She is like, fully clothed for a jrpg.
The lad should smash the remaining elm tho, but I figured he wants to be mysterious and dramatic (in his head).

RPGamer

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't like the characters, they could have pulled out the guy from other Namco games like God Eater or Code Vein, not very Tales of like and pretty generic. I hope thestory will be ok and that they have enough content to fill that world.

Jannyish

Dec 16, 2017
As a fan of the series I am excited they finally gave the team a budget to work with. And it shows. But in graphics mostly.

And this is where my issues lie. The combat doesn't look like we still have a party in a real-time action battle system, and honestly, that's what makes the Tales series different. Just looks like your typical western action RPG battle system now, which in general I don't mind, but it's not what Tales is supposed to be.

Also when he pulled a sword from her chest I facepalmed. That trope is so old can we just not do that?

All of that said they might be hiding parts of the game on purpose, maybe there is a party battle system but they didn't want to reveal it here. Would make me happy at least.

I'll play it regardless, but the upgrade in graphics would have excited me a lot more if it didn't (at this point in time) look like they messed with what has always been the essence of Tales games.

Soriku

Nov 12, 2017
The plot being about two planets etc reminds me a bit of Final Fantasy XIII (Cocoon/Gran Pulse).

Jeez, it was just a question no need to get so defensive...

Anyway, watching the trailer again you can see a different character at 1:10, not sure if she is an ally or a villain.

No offense to you, but like I said. Every time.

Soriku

Nov 12, 2017
As a fan of the series I am excited they finally gave the team a budget to work with. And it shows. But in graphics mostly.

And this is where my issues lie. The combat doesn't look like we still have a party in a real-time action battle system, and honestly, that's what makes the Tales series different. Just looks like your typical western action RPG battle system now, which in general I don't mind, but it's not what Tales is supposed to be.

Also when he pulled a sword from her chest I facepalmed. That trope is so old can we just not do that?

All of that said they might be hiding parts of the game on purpose, maybe there is a party battle system but they didn't want to reveal it here. Would make me happy at least.

I'll play it regardless, but the upgrade in graphics would have excited me a lot more if it didn't (at this point in time) look like they messed with what has always been the essence of Tales games.

As stated...there will obviously be a party system in this game. They don't show off all the characters and systems in the first trailer and we get this same response every time one of these games is announced.

Qudi

Jul 26, 2018
Never played a tales game. But im very insterested in this. Do the tales game come with japanese VO?

Jannyish

Dec 16, 2017
As stated...there will obviously be a party system in this game. They don't show off all the characters and systems in the first trailer and we get this same response every time one of these games is announced.

Well, at least I don't remember reacting like this when either Berseria or Zestiria were announced (wasn't around for the first trailers of any earlier ones). Maybe it's the lack of UI (even for the MC) in the combat scenes that makes me feel that way?

But if you say so. I mean I'd be glad if that was the case anyways, not like I want to be bummed about that part.

EDIT: Just checked the first Berseria trailer again. There was no UI there either but that didn't bother me cause there were party members, namely Laphicet, on screen even during the first trailer. So idk why anyone would have reacted like I just did to Berseria lol.

SmokedSalmon

Apr 1, 2019
I kind of like the guy's design before he puts on the blue coat. I'm just not a huge fan of the tattered and ripped clothes. Its better then Velvet's but I'm a sucker for something really simple and clean looking.
z_5cfd78dbaa02b.jpg

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
I mean you can even see in the trailer having a two person party so not having a party is obviously out :P

I'm just still worried that you won't have local co op with it, I want to believe your faith it will have it, but companies this month have time and time again taught me not to just assume things will happen because they should.

Mario Maker announcing online co op that you can only play with randoms
Persona 5 announcing a new version of the game but not including the DLC in the rerelease
thus I could totally see bandai revamping the battle system in Tales to remove going to another screen and sacrificing the co op to it in the process.

and yes, logically I know that bandai has nothing to do with nintendo or sega/atlus... but I can't help but worry :P

Well, at least I don't remember reacting like this when either Berseria or Zestiria were announced (wasn't around for the first trailers of any earlier ones). Maybe it's the lack of UI (even for the MC) in the combat scenes that makes me feel that way?

But if you say so. I mean I'd be glad if that was the case anyways, not like I want to be bummed about that part.
yeah... I never had this worry in past games because we never had dynamic battles on the world map. without the shift to a battle screen there isn't a good point to hand control to the other players unless they have control at all times, which could be awkward to say the very least.

that being said if everyone who is playing someone can run around and pick up things off the ground and all that on the world map that would ne neat.... though I don't imagine they will let you go that far from each other :P

I'll continue to hope for the best, but assume the worst in terms of co op right now :P

Kingpin Rogers

HILF
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Having looked back at the trailer and then at the older Tales games I think I'm actually severely unhype.
Don't like the new graphical style at all and the fact that combat isn't arena-ed off is really offputting as well.

Just doesn't look anything like what I would expect or want a new Tales of game to be. Disappointed but hopefully I can be turned round once they show more.