• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

penguindrum

Feb 10, 2019
Oh wow that's gross. I was flashed by an adult man on the street when I was in 7th grade, so I can definitely relate to your friend. It was genuinely traumatizing. Such a fucking disgusting trope.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I doubt this would impact overseas sales. I'd say most fans of the genre don't actually mind this and similar tropes.
Edit: Aight I know where this usually goes, that's on me.

Yes you can like JRPGs and not be explicitly in support of Creepy Anime Bullshit, that doesn't suddenly mean Creepy Anime Bullshit needs to be a constant background radiation in this kind of game all the time and anyone who's fine with it, as in explicitly, openly in favour of it as opposed to begrudgingly tolerating it like the rest of us, should probably stop being a main market focus.

Last edited:

Ramsay

Jul 2, 2019
Australia
I'm disappointed but not surprised.

I've said this before, but the fundamental issue with fanservice in the genre is that a JRPG where the developers put their heart and soul into it is not guaranteed to be a success, and game development is expensive. Conversely, a JRPG with waifus and fanservice will at the very least capture the otaku fanbase, resulting in a consistent source of revenue with little regard to the quality of the actual game itself - and even many good JRPGs feel the urge to shove in pointless anime tropes and fanservice to capture that market and guarantee some success for itself.

When we will get a JRPG that will handle fanservice tastefully, we don't know.

Astrogamer

Oct 25, 2017
Eventually they might want to care since overseas sales potential has been increasing over the years while the Japanese market continues to shrink. Especially if you are not Nintendo or a Nintendo focused 3ed party company.
That's not really going to stop it. Anime fandom has been growing year over year and it has no problem with the sexism. Most of the people who have an issue with this kind of stuff are already wary of anime-like art style

Alucrid

Chicken Photographer
Oct 25, 2017
i would have thought they'd want to stop being some cookier cutter motherfuckers eventually, but i guess not

Retromess

Teyvat Traveler
Nov 9, 2017
This shit sucks.

It doesn't matter how good the graphics are or how interesting the story is, they GOTTA pretend it's the 90s again with this tropey bullshit. I'm so god damn tired of it.

Was looking forward to buying this, and I doubt this one scene ruins the entire game, but everything about the scene (the pacing of the dialog, the shots, the characters themselves) is just SO off-putting.

If you're going to pander to this shitty trope at least try to comment on it or invert it or something? Ugh.

alpha

Oct 25, 2017
They just couldn't resist, huh? For fuck's sake.

Hopefully it's skippable.

Jul 20, 2020
User Banned (Permanent): Dismissing Concerns Around Sexism; Prior Severe Bans for Excusing Support of Bigotry and Downplaying Harassment
It's a troupe in Japanese anime. Terrible through our western lens but we have to acknowledge our cultural biases for things that aren't made with us in mind. We may not laugh at it but in Japan they may find it way funnier than us since bath houses are more prevalent.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's a troupe in Japanese anime. Terrible through our western lens but we have to acknowledge our cultural biases for things that aren't made with us in mind. We may not laugh at it but in Japan they may find it way funnier than us since bath houses are more prevalent.
Why's anyone gotta find perving on a 14 year old funny

Why's anyone gotta find it funny when a dude goes "I'm a real man so I'm gonna go sexually harass our friends"

StarStorm

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Tales loves its anime tropes. Even if presented in a comedic nature and its supposed to be light-hearted, but still creepy AF. Any guy would have noticed his towel missing, but they ran with it anyway. Will they ever stop using a hot springs scene? After a while, its not even funny.

PAFenix

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 21, 2019

Was wondering how long it would take until this excuse would be brought up. At least we made it to the 2nd page!

Common Knowledge

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

Sexual harassment doesn't get to hide behind "cultural biases".

Deleted member 11976

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
"Forgetting" your towel and then exposing yourself to a group of young women is something I'd expect a 12 year old to find funny.

The "rite of manhood" stuff is similarly embarrassing, lighthearted tone or not.

It's pretty cringey.

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Maybe the folks in Japan who continue to make scenes like this need to grow the fuck up.

Jul 20, 2020
Was wondering how long it would take until this excuse would be brought up. At least we made it to the 2nd page!
It's not an excuse. I don't find it funny either. I hate any form of fan service because I feel it takes away from the more serious story telling at play. But when I see people say "Japanese media needs to catch up" that reaks of the same cultural biases I've been hearing from people my whole life talking down on aspects of black culture they may not understand. I'm just saying that while I do agree from my perspective it is gross, fanservice in general and reductive, I must acknowledge I have a specific lens growing up in the USA I may not understand from a content creator in Japan. Like over here we find gross shit funny for some reason and I know that confuses other countries which may find a more dry humor funny. It's worth a study than a blanket statement to me.

Tsuyu

Oct 25, 2017
Good thread. Let Namco Bandai knows this is distasteful at the very least.

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada

You'd get arrested for like most of the shit "pervert characters" do in anime tho.

Ouroboros

Oct 27, 2017
United States
Yeah this shit is weak. Hope it goes away soon. It's not funny, entertaining or amusing. It's boring and dumb and creepy. Just get it out of here.

Surakian

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, sexually harassing a 14 year old girl is just some funny thing we are misunderstanding from our biased western eyes…🙄

entrydenied

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
That's not really going to stop it. Anime fandom has been growing year over year and it has no problem with the sexism. Most of the people who have an issue with this kind of stuff are already wary of anime-like art style

You are probably right. As someone who grew up reading manga since the early 90s, it took me till my early, mid 20s to realised how messed up some of these tropes were. Like the whole Doraemon trope of Shizuka getting seen while taken baths didn't feel creepy to me because I started reading the manga since I was 5 years old. The people who are still making Doraemon need to realised how outdated some of their material is and start to not continue these tropes.

I do wonder if the average, non otaku teen in Japan still think this whole trope is still funny, or that it's just middle age writers refusing to recognise the harm these tropes can bring because "it was ok when they were kids".

It's not an excuse. I don't find it funny either. I hate any form of fan service because I feel it takes away from the more serious story telling at play. But when I see people say "Japanese media needs to catch up" that reaks of the same cultural biases I've been hearing from people my whole life talking down on aspects of black culture they may not understand. I'm just saying that while I do agree from my perspective it is gross, fanservice in general and reductive I must acknowledge I have a specific lens growing up in the USA I may not understand from a content creator in Japan. Like over here we find gross shit funny for some reason and I know that confuses other countries which may find a more dry humor funny. It's worth a study than a blanket statement to me.

It is not cultural biases to say that having scenes showing a 14 year old getting exposed to genitals is problematic. Nor the encouragement of young men to peep as a rite of passage. Normalising these acts make young boys and men think that it is funny or ok to expose themselves or to peep at girls. This is not just people saying that they don't get cultural specific jokes. It is harmful because it leads to actual real victims of sexual crimes.

diakyu

Dec 15, 2018
It's a Tales of Game, with all the dumb anime tropes that come with. Shit like this should be shot from orbit and I wouldn't blink, it manages to get into almost every jrpg

Jul 20, 2020
You'd get arrested for like most of the shit "pervert characters" do in anime tho.
I agree, but art is a window into the mind of a creator and also the culture that brought them up. Which is why I said that we should try to understand why it is so prevalent as opposed to assuming we have the "better" culture. Cause if you dive into the numbers Japan has a MUCH lower sexual assault rate than the US. So I'm just saying let's not cast a wide net of judgement of a whole culture as if we are much better off.

sorry a comment that said they need to catch up just really bothered me a lot.

Surakian

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I agree, but art is a window into the mind of a creator and also the culture that brought them up. Which is why I said that we should try to understand why it is so prevalent as opposed to assuming we have the "better" culture. Cause if you dive into the numbers Japan has a MUCH lower sexual assault rate than the US. So I'm just saying let's not cast a wide net of judgement of a whole culture as if we are much better off.

Is it actually lower or is it lower due to a lack of reporting? Because for one example, Japan has a very big issue with groping on trains to the point that certain lines made female-only passenger cars to keep women from being assaulted.

zMiiChy-

Dec 12, 2017
Berseria's Hotspring scene was actually unique and funny, unlike the scenes in the rest in the series.

This one sounds like the worst one so far if I'm being genuinely honest

Jul 20, 2020
Is it actually lower or is it lower due to a lack of reporting? Because for one example, Japan has a very big issue with groping on trains to the point that certain lines made female-only passenger cars to keep women from being assaulted.
Lack of reporting is a problem here too. But I don't deny it's probably lower than reported, but it's also here too so I can only go off reported numbers. It the trains in NYC are disgusting. I genuinely have to stay on Face time with my gf due to how many creeps there are constantly and Shri boy is comfortable when we are on the phone during her commute.

PAFenix

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 21, 2019

No one said anything about having a better culture. I did a quick rescan of the first pages and your post is the first one bringing up Japan and their culture as a whole.

Most everyone else has commented about it being a tired out dated trope in either anime or JRPGs. We can comment and critique content creators without bringing in an entire country's culture into it.

Spidervan

Jun 11, 2021
Eventually they might want to care since overseas sales potential has been increasing over the years while the Japanese market continues to shrink. Especially if you are not Nintendo or a Nintendo focused 3ed party company.
I guess that's true, but it could be like the persona fanbase where the majority of the base are otaku fans that like shipping and waifus. I don't get why they had to have this scene the way it was, couldn't they have just done it like Valkyria chronicles 1 beach scene? Why do they think having fanservice has to be pervy.

entrydenied

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Lack of reporting is a problem here too. But I don't deny it's probably lower than reported, but it's also here too so I can only go off reported numbers. It the trains in NYC are disgusting. I genuinely have to stay on Face time with my gf due to how many creeps there are constantly and Shri boy is comfortable when we are on the phone during her commute.

Regardless of whether Japan has a lower sexual assault rate than the US or anywhere else, the problems with the trope doesn't go away.

It's almost like you are suggesting that the trope is ok because Japan may have a lower sexual assault rate, and that people from other cultures should not criticise the trope if they have a higher sexual assault rate.

Alucrid

Chicken Photographer
Oct 25, 2017

it's too bad they're no longer releasing arise outside of japan then

Jakenbakin

Jun 17, 2018
The "joke" isn't "ah yes we have bathhouses, they are humorous, foreigners won't understand." The "joke" is the sexual harassment - and it's absolutely a trope you can find associated in plenty of our media that had culturally been shifted from acceptably funny to quite rightly condemned as gross and toxic. There's no need to defend it because of our cultural biases, you can reasonably assume no culture has women who enjoy being targeted by sexual harassment.

Jul 20, 2020
Regardless of whether Japan has a lower sexual assault rate than the US or anywhere else, the problems with the trope doesn't go away.

It's almost like you are suggesting that the trope is ok because Japan may have a lower sexual assault rate, and that people from other cultures should not criticise the trope if they have a higher sexual assault rate.
I criticized the troupe myself. I just said it's worth studying and discussing further than just saying that they need to catch up to us. Cause we have a TON of disgusting troupes as well. My only point is let's understand what the significance of the troupe means to them culturally and move forward from there instead of going "these creators are disgusting pervs who are beneath us." I'm not saying this is exactly what you are saying but often people will say things they don't know come off as condescending that are.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Urgh, I wish I'd looked at this thread earlier, this sucks. Is this a side quest or something everyone is forced to sit through?

The idea that a man can only flourish by sneaking glances at a naked child is putrid.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
I criticized the troupe myself. I just said it's worth studying and discussing further than just saying that they need to catch up to us.

Are you saying it's too complex and fascinating to criticize? It's too advanced for anyone to adequately understand its intention and implications in the decades its been a lazy, boring, pandering trope? Worthy of "study"?

Valkerion

Oct 29, 2017
User Banned (3 Months): Concern Trolling Around Concerns of Sexism; Prior Ban for Inflammatory Generalization
There is a massive part of this trope that just doesn't work for outside Japan and I wonder if it should start being cut entirely. I know I know -but my censorship!- but is it worth the hassle anymore?

I criticized the troupe myself. I just said it's worth studying and discussing further than just saying that they need to catch up to us. Cause we have a TON of disgusting troupes as well. My only point is let's understand what the significance of the troupe means to them culturally and move forward from there instead of going "these creators are disgusting pervs who are beneath us." I'm not saying this is exactly what you are saying but often people will say things they don't know come off as condescending that are.

This is basically what I was going to say.

Media topes differ across the globe. The whole hot springs trip is a cultural thing that most Japanese people can relate too. The hijinks aspect of ease dropping or peeking is the joke inside something everyone relates too. Its a Japanese entertainment gag that existed even before anime and general tv, and its not going anywhere.

We don't have to like it and can point it out as problematic in our own cultural gaze but we can discuss it without some on era sliding into that "our culture is better than this, they should be doing things like us, its -insert year- barbarians! pedos and perverts!" style of posting that you'd think we would be more aware/sensitive about.

jaymzi

Jul 22, 2019
People really gonna play the "it's part of their culture" card for a country that has train carriages only for women to prevent groping.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Defending the depiction of people peeping on and exposing themselves to children as being culturally important to Japan feels like it could be more insulting than the act of being critical of it.

Last edited:

PancakeFlip

Oct 26, 2017
They had it since the first game, Phantasia. :(
I don't remember Destiny 1 having one. Eternia kinda did but it's more like a girl has to get an item in the men's changing room. She sees a guy coming out wearing a towel and she runs away flustered.
Destiny remake has it, but if I remember its something with Leon being confused with being a girl or something. This was over a decade ago so I barely remember it.

Merc_

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
There is a massive part of this trope that just doesn't work for outside Japan and I wonder if it should start being cut entirely. I know I know -but my censorship!- but is it worth the hassle anymore?
What hassle? This is the only place where I've seen anyone complain about it. The anime fandom at large either likes this stuff or is completely indifferent to it.

Turin

Oct 27, 2017
Goddamnit

I haven't even started the game yet. At least I have a heads up 🤢

Zeal543

Next Level Seer
May 15, 2020
If there's one certainty at the end of the universe, it's tales of and hotsprings scenes

entrydenied

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017

Like I said in a previous post, I was exposed to this trope via Doraemon and never thought much about similar tropes in the manga I consumed between the age of 5 to say 22 to 25 years old. I don't think writers necessarily use this trope comically to dog whistle to pedophiles or sex offenders. It seems like historically this could really be seen innocently as a joke trope. But it was never funny and appropriate, kind of like outdated waetern comedians still thinking racist and sexist jokes are funny. It can be both cultural and problematic and people from within and outside the culture can criticise and tear things down. No one who is arguing in good faith in this thread has said that Japanese culture is pervy or beneath anyone else. A lot of us love Japanese games and Japanese media and that's why we don't want games to have content that is done at the expense of victims and content that is perpeting toxic masculinity and toxic culture. I love Japanese manga and games and I want these tropes to stop.

Defending the depiction of people peeping on and exposing themselves to children as being culturally important to Japan feels like it could be more insulting than the act of being critical of it.

This👆. "It is not sexual harassment, it's just deeply Japanese."

Oct 29, 2017
User Banned (1 Month): Concern Trolling Around Concerns of Sexism

Media topes differ across the globe. The whole hot springs trip is a cultural thing that most Japanese people can relate too. The hijinks aspect of ease dropping or peeking is the joke inside something everyone relates too. Its a Japanese entertainment gag that existed even before anime and general tv, and its not going anywhere.

We don't have to like it and can point it out as problematic in our own cultural gaze but we can discuss it without some on era sliding into that "our culture is better than this, they should be doing things like us, its -insert year- barbarians! pedos and perverts!" style of posting that you'd think we would be more aware/sensitive about.
I wanted to higlight your post. It's very metered response that puts things into perspective.

Jul 20, 2020

I would understand if it began to be cut in certain localizations. I mean, we cut content in media that goes to China, or even in japan, so I wouldn't really be against it if it was cut in American versions...but your point to bathhouses and bathhouse hijinx being something that Americans don't really understand is kind of what my point was. We have hijinx and hijinx that play on the sexual aspects of human nature. For the most part bathhouse hijinx usually involve people of similar ages. I think to MHA or Naruto which all had them. I don't find them funny personally, but on the flip side theres a ton in those shows that my mother would watch and not find funny either. I just think we should be sensative when looking at these things through our western gaze and not judging it as wrong and our take on things as right. Then when people get extra defensive if your take isn't "this is 100% unacceptable, remove it" is when the people who do mean right become blinded by their own cultural biases by trying to be more accepting. My whole point is lets understand why these are so prevalent in so much of their media going back to even when they were doing art work on woodblocks.

Valkerion

Oct 29, 2017
What hassle? This is the only place where I've seen anyone complain about it. The anime fandom at large either likes this stuff or is completely indifferent to it.

You're right, ERA is one of the few places that will have a band of people stand out and say they don't like it, which is great to have. But like you said, and like ERA itself, its a drop in the pool that is gamers. It was more a rhetorical statement.

Jul 20, 2020
Are you saying it's too complex and fascinating to criticize? It's too advanced for anyone to adequately understand its intention and implications in the decades its been a lazy, boring, pandering trope? Worthy of "study"?
I'm just saying us as a western audience, and the non poc who are critiquing, have to be extremely careful and diligent when critiquing and discussing another's culture and humor. Because of the history of cultural imperialism and our country history of down playing other peoples culture as lesser than. I spent my whole life listening to people talk about how hip hop is terrible, sexist, racist or how (insert black film here) is ghetto, poorly written etc without trying to understand the culture that produced the content. So I'm saying when a trope is consistent in a form of media/art from another culture, lets understand why it's there, while acknowledging it as unacceptable here, but also understanding that the culture to where it came from is different and why is it so prevalent there.