• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Mar 19, 2021
Shit I had this pegged as a low 70s game, I think I might have to give this a look now. Will probably wait for a sale because too much to play but this really wasn't on my radar at all

RROCKMAN

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
One reviewer mentioned
Interplanetary affairs
????

I was honestly going to skip this game but damn if we can even shades of
Star Ocean
then I am down!

Zyrox

One Winged Slayer Corrupted by Vengeance
Oct 25, 2017
These are surprisingly high scores. Nice to see.
I enjoyed the two Tales of games I played (Berseria and Vesperia) so I might pick this up sometime next year once I got my SteamDeck.

Unknown837

Oct 26, 2017
Gonna hop outta here soon before I let the rest of the morning get away from me. But fwiw, I think it's the best combat since Graces.
Aye, I'm not sure it hits that mark to a tee, but comparing it with more recent Tales games I'd say it's a few cuts above in this department.

Alright now I'm hyped. I did enjoy Xilia, Berseria and Zestiria but it always disappointed me how they absolutely nailed combat in Graces and then just regressed afterwards. Happy to know that this game is a return to form.

CielTynave

Oct 25, 2017

B.O.O.M.

Oct 25, 2017
oh wow. These are some amazing scores. Honestly this game went under the radar for me but glad to see the reception

BBboy20

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
#8 in opencritic's 2021 hall of fame

screenshot2021-09-08ajhkwp.jpg
What is Bustafellows?

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
Mine is up here:

progressbar.com.au

Tales of Arise - Review | Progress Bar

Tales of Arise is a linear RPG with a painterly art style and combat more akin to a brawler than your standard turn-based combat system.

I gave it 6/10 (not contributing to open or metacritic so don't fret lol). Honestly stunned by how much of an outlier I am with this one. It being 88 on OC is just asburd (imho of course).

I am remaining optimistic, but I wouldn't be surprised if there is a sect of the forum that comes around to agreeing with your critiques. Some positive reviews seem to paint the back-half of the game in a similar light(despite their own high scores), so I suspect in a week or so the OT will get heated on the subject as players finish off the game...

Actually lots of disagreement on combat too among reviews I am seeing. Some loving it throughout, others mixed or disappointed, but most scores hover high. So yea, OT will likely have a lot of arguments incoming.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I should have stayed away from this thread...

Can't wait for my copy to arrive.
This isn't even a spoiler, it's the basic premise. Like if you look at the official website right now you'll learn that there are two planets, because the entire premise is that the one planet (Rena) is basically enslaving the other (Dahna)

this is the premise blurb from the official website
On the planet Dahna, reverence has always been given to Rena, the planet in the sky, as a land of the righteous and divine. Stories handed down for generations became truth and masked reality for the people of Dahna. For 300 years, Rena has ruled over Dahna, pillaging the planet of its resources and stripping people of their dignity and freedom.

Our tale begins with two people, born on different worlds, each looking to change their fate and create a new future. Featuring a new cast of characters, updated combat, and classic Tales of gameplay mechanics, experience the next chapter in the world-famous Tale of series, Tales of Arise.

Blade30

Oct 26, 2017
Nice. I went and pre-ordered it, just need to wait for CDKeys to drop the keys but I'm in no hurry to preload it.

Ushay

Oct 27, 2017
Wew look at those reviews, amazing. I think this decides it for me, will defo pick this up soon as my backlog eases up!

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
So how long do we expect the obligatory Switch Bamco release gap to be on this one, 6 months or a year like Kakarot

Aska

Jan 11, 2020
As a big fan of the series, I'm really happy with this scores.
Day one, baby.

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
Some reviews say the story is meh while others say it's really good. Hmmmm. Never been huge on the actual story of the Tales games. Not sure what to believe.

Neverx

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Sep 17, 2020
Florida
Never played a Tales game before, really glad to see it reviewed well. I just wish there was a demo on PC, will probably wait a bit to pick up only because so many games are releasing in the next month but am glad to see it's an all around solid JPRG.

DevilPuncher

"This guy are sick" and Aggressively Mediocre
Oct 25, 2017
Wow. I haven't enjoyed Tales game in ages, but this is reviewing very well. I may end up actually getting it. Neat!

BPHusker

Oct 26, 2017
Nebraska
This was my last preorder before my Best Buy Gamers Club discount ended. I'm pretty sure I pre-ordered this before covid. Heh

Kromeo

Oct 27, 2017
I am remaining optimistic, but I wouldn't be surprised if there is a sect of the forum that comes around to agreeing with your critiques. Some positive reviews seem to paint the back-half of the game in a similar light(despite their own high scores), so I suspect in a week or so the OT will get heated on the subject as players finish off the game...

Actually lots of disagreement on combat too among reviews I am seeing. Some loving it throughout, others mixed or disappointed, but most scores hover high. So yea, OT will likely have a lot of arguments incoming.

The vast majority of jrpg threads go this way to be fair, there's too varying an idea of what people want the genre to be

SofyTrancy

Aug 3, 2020
I have never played a Tales of game before. Today I saw the trailer of Arise and I thought it looks cool, but Idk if this game can be for me or not.
I have a huge backlog so if I know that a game is not for me, I just skip it.
So… what makes Tales of games special? Convince me to buy it!

Idk if this can help but to me (for JRPG) Characters > Gameplay >= Story
Don't get me wrong a story has to be at least good and I hate plot holes, but if the game has some really really really good characters and a fun gameplay, I love it even if the story is not the best of the best.

Deleted member 11976

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Mine is up here:

progressbar.com.au

Tales of Arise - Review | Progress Bar

Tales of Arise is a linear RPG with a painterly art style and combat more akin to a brawler than your standard turn-based combat system.

I gave it 6/10 (not contributing to open or metacritic so don't fret lol). Honestly stunned by how much of an outlier I am with this one. It being 88 on OC is just asburd (imho of course).
I just wanted to specifically thank you for your review! I'm a lapsed JRPG fan and sometimes I get swept up in hype and reviews that tend to appeal specifically to JRPG fans so your review does a lot to properly set the tone for what Arise does and doesn't do well.

This will probably help me to avoid Arise until it's on sale -- if I'm still curious at that point -- and puts a stake in the ground where it might be a good time to stop playing (around the 2/3rd mark, where the narrative undergoes a huge shakeup, as you described).

Again, I really appreciate your perspective because I desperately need it. I was ready to dive headfirst into Arise but it sounds like I'd have ended up just as frustrated as I was with Persona 5 (I ended up hating it after completing its 90h runtime) if I didn't know how tropey and repetitive it would get, going in.

Jun 24, 2021
I'm very surprised at the scores, I didn't think it'd get this much high praise. Is this the highest Metacritic score for a Tales game?

MegaSackman

Oct 27, 2017
Argentina
I have never played a Tales of game before. Today I saw the trailer of Arise and I thought it looks cool, but Idk if this game can be for me or not.
I have a huge backlog so if I know that a game is not for me, I just skip it.
So… what makes Tales of games special? Convince me to buy it!

Idk if this can help but to me (for JRPG) Characters > Gameplay >= Story
Don't get me wrong a story has to be at least good and I hate plot holes, but if the game has some really really really good characters and a fun gameplay, I love it even if the story is not the best of the best.

I'm not a big Tales guy but the ones I've played shares that formula: Characters > Gameplay >= Story (good but nothing really of note)