• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

ARobotCalledV

Aug 22, 2020
I never know who to trust when it comes to RPG reviews.

I'm not writing off specific reviewers, but there's been many occasions where a JRPG gets praised by professional outlets while RPG regulars bring up the flaws later.

I was wondering who people typically listen to for RPG reviews/takes.

I never agree 100% with any one site and generally only read reviews after finishing a game, but the one I consistently pay more attention to is RPGSite

Fawz

Oct 28, 2017
Montreal
Those are much better reviews than I expected, really happy to see that. Are there any that were played on PC which outline some of the PC specifics (Settings, Graphical comparison, Performance, ect...)?

Kawngi

Prophet of Truth
Oct 30, 2017
I don't think I expected the game to review quite that well, so it's certainly on my radar now.

tiza blanca

May 9, 2020
I quite liked every Tales games I've played so far but ever expected scores this high from a Tales game. Wow.

May 6, 2021
I never know who to trust when it comes to RPG reviews.

I'm not writing off specific reviewers, but there's been many occasions where a JRPG gets praised by professional outlets while RPG regulars bring up the flaws later.

I was wondering who people typically listen to for RPG reviews/takes.

yea i feel the same. Like my worry going into this was the story. Ive pretty much checked out of JRPGS in general because i dont find any of the writing/story that good. And maybe its because im just an old man and worn out on anime cliches and tropes at this point lol. So all these reviews claiming a great story sound great. But like great writing in general or great writing...for an anime game lol.

Which is a bit stupid because there are plenty of animes/jrpg with great stories(xenoblade), they just seem the outlier rather then the norm to me, but i could wrong.

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
I really liked Berseria so maybe that was a sign. This will be my next game after I finish stuff I just bought.

ajido

Unshakable Resolve
Dec 7, 2018
Wow! Surprised by these scores. I was already sold but now my hype is insane. Please let the PC port not be a disaster!

BioZilla

Jan 29, 2018
Someone is claiming on Reddit that if you set your Xbox to Japan time you can play early now? I know New Zealand will work TOMORROW but I've never heard of using Japan to unlock something early. Any word if that's true? I'm working currently.

Zebesian-X

Dec 3, 2018
Oh fuck off there's too much to play lmao

Glad there's a demo, will definitely be checking this out

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
All you had to do was play the demo to see they were on to something special. What hooked me was something that's a weakness of a lot of JRPGs - which is environmental storytelling, organic world building through exploration, creating worlds that feel 'lived in' - all that shined through in spades in the demo. Easy pre-order.

Devilgunman

Oct 27, 2017
Look like best Tales game in a while. My last Tales was Symphonia and I'm very intrigued to play this one.

Oct 27, 2017
I did! Best Tales game since Vesperia for me but it looked so cheap and nothing really groundbreaking. It was a solid 6/10 game for me, which isn't bad, but I always felt the franchise could do so much more. Seems we are feasting now 😎

Yeaaaah, even though it's my second favorite Tales game now, I agree. Not with the score, but it being sort of held back by being a whole title made from Zestiria asset reuse, a game that already looked outdated in late 2015.

Arise definitely feels like "what if Berseria had a budget?" Especially with the combat being the same. And I am 100% here for it.

Oct 25, 2017
Cincinnati
I'm not one to care much about reviews or have them affect a purchase decision, but these are some good scores, I am definitely even more excited than I was before.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
#8 in opencritic's 2021 hall of fame

screenshot2021-09-08ajhkwp.jpg