• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Jan 18, 2021
Xbox One? That's interesting and I wonder why that is. Certainly can't be the benefit of any SSD, which is no duplicated assets, since Xbox One doesn't have a SSD. Better compression compared to PS4 perhaps?
Not sure. When i played the division 2 on ps4 pro file size was close to 90gb when I last played it. Dont know if it went down in size over time but i had to delete ac Odyssey to make room for the game and the stupid 2x space/buffer ps4 needs when installing games.

MrFox

VFX Rendering Pipeline Developer
Verified
Jun 8, 2020
PS4 to PS5 gives a 10% advantage by going from zlib to kraken for typical game data. The advantage does go up when RDO is used since kraken is even more efficient than zlib on RDO textures (i.e. oodles textures or similar tools on PC or xbox).

All else being equal, we should expect both PS5 and PC game sizes to be similar, and we should see them 10% to 15% smaller than XBSX.

But there's a million reasons some games might have different sizes between platform outside of this specially cross-gen builds and ports: audio codecs, languages packs, deduplication of streaming data, asset formats unified or not across builds, whether RDO tools are used, PC might have higher res assets, etc...

deathsaber

Nov 2, 2017
Weird. My wild guess would be the SSD's allow for more file compression (since data can be retrieved so much faster) where on PS4, they need to "unpack" more data onto the HD for quicker/easier access.

Legacy

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's nice, undecided on getting the PS5 version though. Doesn't the game perform better on the SX overall?

Kid Night

Oct 27, 2017
PS4 does not have a way to manage installs between PS4 (1080p) and PS4 pro (4k) versions of games. If you have high rez textures for the pro version of the title, people have to download both texture sets.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It may be that the PS4 version contains multiple languages and the Xbox One version does not (or just downloads your Locale as some other games do)
Not followed the thread, but I assume the move to GDK is responsible for the improvement to Xbox One versions, Devs can pick and choose which texture packs are included in each shipped version. Remember X1 is part of the device range supported by their new tools, and I remember David Springate of Dirt 5 mentioning efficiencies via the new Xbox tools brought in improvements to base consoles like X1 and X1X.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
Not followed the thread, but I assume the move to GDK is responsible for the improvement to Xbox One versions, Devs can pick and choose which texture packs are included in each shipped version.
They've been able to do it for like 6 years , but very few games did

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
I wish people would check out the details for the various versions re: things like this, rather than just assuming something they see on [whichever platform] is some secret sauce and blasting their assumption to anyone who'll listen. Myopic hobbyists are the source half the tech confusion in this industry.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They've been able to do it for like 6 years , but very few games did
Interesting, so did for instance we see X1 version including 4k textures that was never used because these games had to run on X1X ? Might take a look at X1 games Vs X1X later (at the gym currently :p)

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
Interesting, so did for instance we see X1 version including 4k textures that was never used because these games had to run on X1X ? Might take a look at X1 games Vs X1X later (at the gym currently :p)
Games had access to a some kind of packaging system. I can't remember what it was called (it might have been smart delivery) but it enabled developers to control what languages were installed, I think it extended to other assets too.
I want to say Halo 5 and one of the tomb raider games supported it for a little while, but I don't think it was commonly used.

edit: it was called "intelligent delivery"

Tora

The Enlightened Wise Ones
Jun 17, 2018
I wish people would check out the details for the various versions re: things like this, rather than just assuming something they see on [whichever platform] is some secret sauce and blasting their assumption to anyone who'll listen. Myopic hobbyists are the source half the tech confusion in this industry.
Yeah, reading this thread is kinda funny because you'll have some people explaining possible reasons why, then you'll just have others saying "Oh my god xxx compression technique is pretty awesome isn't it?"

Not hating on anyone, it's just not helpful either

Snefer

Creative Director at Neon Giant
Verified
Oct 30, 2017
I am pretty sure this is a case of checking the "compression" checkbox in Unreal or not. Some platforms work better with compression, some without.

drewfonse

Oct 28, 2017
Someone please post here when the OT is up. I haven't played /enjoyed a JRPG in ages. I was kind of stunned by how much I liked the demo. I even found the skits to be endearing and almost….funny.

Oct 27, 2017
I'm doing the preload now

1631077762870375-0.png