• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

tjlee2

Oct 27, 2017
If you think the combat is hectic then you're probably just not a fan of how tales handles party combat which is fine. You can always turn down the difficulty but it sounds like you're just not a fan of the game which isn't a big deal, this is the most mainstream Tales has ever been and it's not everyone.

There are a lot of factors here. There is less stuff happening at any given time (mainly because you can't command other characters with hotkeys), but with the improvement to animation and effects it is a lot more noticeable, but with how break and down works the game is a lot more precise and less spammy, etc. Also, bosses having actual tells makes such a big difference in giving a fight a flow and not feeling like a giant mess.

But thank god there isn't a combat system unlock 80 hours into the game (I hope?). I do not miss the potentite system one bit.

tiebreaker

Oct 25, 2017
Cyslodia is like the prettiest snowy jrpg town , right? I just spent 5 minutes idling and listening to the town theme.

Alpheus

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, once you redeem the DLC, it's activated on that save file for the long-run. I still have a couple Level up +10 packs that I'm saving for the post-game.
You can toggle artifact effects in the artifact part of the field guide, having said that I think I'm at the "Final Approach" JRPGs have with this game and at least on Moderate I didn't feel it was needed (I had bought it but turned it off) the only time I felt tempted to do so was doing some late game side bosses but even then the issue was with my accessories being awful than being lower level. the +1000 HP boosts from the DLC are much more impactful cuz it gives the AI more fuck up points.

Altezein

User requested ban
Banned
Mar 21, 2021
Buenos Aires, Argentina
HELP ME ERA

PC OR PS5????
PC all the way. There are fixes already for LOD distance and npc spawn distance, disabling Chromatic Aberration in cutscenes, improving grass density and shadows, etc. In PS5 you're left with default settings.
Also, with Unreal Engine Unlocker you get Photo mode! No such thing on PS5

Cyslodia is like the prettiest snowy jrpg town , right? I just spent 5 minutes idling and listening to the town theme.
It is! Hope it'll be dethroned by FF7R when we get to Icicle Inn

Last edited:

Deleted member 56266

Account closed at user request
Banned
Apr 25, 2019
We need to make a meme of Law doing his Mystic Art whenever the heck he wants lol

me whenever it happens

E8mnvsoXsAA6dMw.jpg

tjlee2

Oct 27, 2017
Speaking of overlimit, does combo length affect the damage of the mystic arte at all? I don't think it does. I really liked that Berseria gave you that combo multiplier so you want to save the mystic arte as a finisher, but in this game I've just been throwing on a 30% buff and let it rip asap. Not nearly as satisfying. Also I hope we got back to controlled activation for overlimit/mystic arte type mechanics instead of being hidden/chance based.

Neki

Oct 25, 2017
Mystic Artes are just an extension of their regular artes, go to the artes menu in the pause menu and you can turn them off there. You can turn off any arte for AIs to kinda force them to play in a certain way. I turned off all of the melee artes for Do so he would only cast his earth and dark spells.

Relix

Oct 25, 2017
I heard bad things about Lord #2 and I found it pretty average. Tough but fun. Hearing Indignation did make me jump out of my seat and literally say out loud "Holy fuck". I can see how that One Hit can get annoying though :p

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, once see the weakness to a boss, I turn off every artes that isn't that weakness on at least the casters in the party.

Rainy

Oct 25, 2017
The game is still #10 on Steam Top Sellers list. I don't follow it normally, I wonder how often it updates. Regardless I don't play on PC but very positive reviews!

MegaSackman

Oct 27, 2017
Argentina
The level doesn't matter that much. What you have for skills matters a lot more, since sp up to this point is sparse. For instance, using flamestrike is also not a bad idea, but if you are like me and didn't grab any flamestrike related skills, then it's not worth using over reigning slash at this time.

Also disable some of the bad artes on your other characters will help, but there is still some rng there of course.

Done! took me three attempts, I'd say the main difference was having 15% ATK Up on food, and changing some skills for Alphen and Shionne. I used mostly Reigning as main damage dealer and Infernal when I had only one AP. Mega Sonic Thrust for long range attack.

I couldn't break his ultimate as you did but I did kill one phantom and left a second one with a slive of health so it was basically just one more ghost and the boss.

It helped to have consumed very few items on his first 50%

John Harker

Knows things...
Oct 27, 2017
Santa Destroy
So does the gambits apply to all non-controlled party members? You can't assign them different logic per character?

I just got the third playable one and wouldn't mind setting her offensive magic differently than shionnes healing but maybe I'm missing something.

Aside, who do most ppl play as?
Or do you switch often per battle

ReginaldXIV

Nov 4, 2017
Minnesota
Just finished the game. I might go back and do the post-game stuff and find the owls not sure yet.

While I think they leaned too heavily into the empathy allegory with the two planets, I think having a very upbeat ending in 2021 is something we all need right now

Oct 27, 2017
The leader of the Silver Swords seems shifty as hell. Why do I get the feeling he is secretly the Lord of the realm?

tjlee2

Oct 27, 2017
So does the gambits apply to all non-controlled party members? You can't assign them different logic per character?

I just got the third playable one and wouldn't mind setting her offensive magic differently than shionnes healing but maybe I'm missing something.

Aside, who do most ppl play as?
Or do you switch often per battle

Yeah, and they forgot individual character options I think.

Alphen and Shionne mostly up through realm 2. Started heavily using Law (best damage/AG efficiency). Still learning how to Rinwell (I thought she would learn higher tier spells, not that she would need to charge from tier 1 all the time so far, so I don't have the skills that make her smooth to play as). Started to switch more frequently by emptying AG on one character and switching to another for down/stagger damage windows, but still staying on one character when comboing for now.

Jannyish

Dec 16, 2017
I wrapped up Realm 3 and stepped some way into Realm 4 today (not far though).

I have had to skip sidequests for leveling reasons for the first time (aside from that first monster quest ofc). I was just a few levels too low to be able to do it without wasting all my healing items.

So I stepped into the 4th Realm and came back tk the sidequests after leveling up a little. It wasn't that big of a deal but I hope that doesn't become the norm. I fought all random enemies too, so not like I SHOULD be having trouble. That being said the bosses in this game are hard on purpose is what I feel like.

Also gameplay related but part of the main story, hence spoilers:

I played the whole game on Manual so far, but the "Mysterioud Sword Fighter" guy had me switch to Semi-Auto cause otherwise I wouldn't be able to land a hit at all, that guy was way too fast and without Semi-Auto the character doesn't beeline for their hit box automatically...

Really digging this game so far. Combat's great, I feel like I know what I'm doing more than in other Tales games, which I would just button mash my way through.

When Shionne went down within ten seconds of my first attempt of the first boss fight, I got concerned. But once I got the hang of dealing with his attacks I thought it was a really fun fight, spamming Demon Fang at a distance worked pretty well.

So true. But I feel like it MAKES you learn the mechanics because otherwise you just...die. I was part of the "spam healing artes and items and just mash buttons" faction more often than I would like to admit. I would have loved to work with the deeper mechanics of some of those systems but the games never really made me. I had enough healing and that was the easiest way after all.

Here both healing artes and healing items are on very limited supply so just mashing buttons is just gonna kill you.

Normally, this would frustrate me but the game has shown me several times now that using the system correctly will have big impact on the results of a fight so now it's fun trying to find a way to kill a boss while also trying to preserve healing.

Twitter is way ahead of you.

I laughed way harder than I probably should have. XD

Zutter

Oct 19, 2018
Yeah Dohalim is my fav. I've been playing mostly him since he joined the party. Something about staff/rod users in Tales (Leia and Judith) that I just love.

Oreiller

Oct 25, 2017
Finished realm 5. My main issue so far is how hollow every antagonist has been so far but I'm still having fun. There's one thing that's ridiculous though:

why the hell did the second anime opening when you finish the fifth realm spoil so much? what the hell

Rainy

Oct 25, 2017
Finished realm 3. At this point completely unsure who to use in my party tbh.

Also fishing is really fun! Are there any spots that are good for farming fish for money?

SpookySpice

Teyvat Traveler
Nov 22, 2019
Been playing Dohalim almost exclusively but I always switch to Rinwell for the large enemies. For non bosses they feel like they take a little too long to take down. But Rinwell spamming max level spells just decimates everything. 3 Shooting Stars back to back sure is something. Probably the most fun I've had with a Tales caster.

Neverx

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Sep 17, 2020
Florida
Without spoilers what level is the party at by the final boss? Just finished the 4th realm and am curious how much is left/endgame content.

Neki

Oct 25, 2017
Levelling in post game is much easier once you receive an exp artifact from one of the optional bosses. You'll go from 55 to 100 in a very short time by just finishing the optional dungeon that unlocks later.