• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Altezein

User requested ban
Banned
Mar 21, 2021
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Just a little after the first boss, SP rates seem dreadful. Do they get better?
You're at the very beginning of the game, don't worry. Sidequests and battle bonuses will give you tons of SP around the third realm
More fun skits please and less exposition skits after every cutscene.
Very nice review! Agree on almost everything (currently at 4th realm) except this one... I actually think exposition skits are way better!

Last edited:

Kwigo

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Debating between getting this and Lost Judgement while I wait for Endwalker. How long does it take to beat the game with doing some minor side stuff?

thuway

Oct 27, 2017
Just beat it. Enjoyed it up until the last quarter. Went from a 9 out of 10 to 7.5 out of 10.

fulltimepanda

Oct 28, 2017
The events after reaching the second opening really feel like the start to a second season of a series no one really asked for lol

Jannyish

Dec 16, 2017
I remember some people wondering whether the game is selling well on this thread so just FYI

I think I remember getting the notification about Berseria selling 1 million MONTHS after the game released. So unless just the announcement was delayed back then, this is a HUGE step up (which makes me happy, the series deserves it).

Kiria

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I remember some people wondering whether the game is selling well on this thread so just FYI

I think I remember getting the notification about Berseria selling 1 million MONTHS after the game released. So unless just the announcement was delayed back then, this is a HUGE step up (which makes me happy, the series deserves it).

can't really compare considering previous tales game isnt simulrelease as this one. The only thing comparable is the reception is better on this than previous games

Jannyish

Dec 16, 2017
can't really compare considering previous tales game isnt simulrelease as this one. The only thing comparable is the reception is better on this than previous games

I mean you can if you consider the WW release as the starting point and not the JP one. Which I was referring to. And I just checked and even from WW release of Berseria to 1 million copies it took more than a year. Soooo.... it's not 1:1 comparable but I think we can safely say this one is selling a lot faster.

billiam

Oct 28, 2017
How are people dealing with the 4th Lord on Hard mode? They just keep spamming their enraged attack over and over, instantly killing my party.
I can't revive them because the AI is too dumb to avoid the attack - it's a fucking loop.

I just finished that battle yesterday. It was dicey mostly related to the spamming. There was a prompt for Rinwell boost strike to cancel the attacks, but I missed it the first time as I wasn't expecting it. I did trigger the prompt the next time which canceled the spamming that time. I also was somewhat lucky maybe in that she focused on me so I just ran around the arena away from the other members to keep them from getting hit.

Edit - I remembered a few other things. Have kisara in your party she was the only member who didn't KO at all that fight. I crafted and gave everyone opal for wind resistance after learning my lesson on lord 2. Also try to buy the 1 hit ko saving skill, I have that on everyone I can.

Also I have to say, wtf at that dialogue after the battle. "Like a restless lover, I keep coming back" or something close. This is why I don't usually play jprg

Last edited:

Kiria

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I mean you can if you consider the WW release as the starting point and not the JP one. Which I was referring to. And I just checked and even from WW release of Berseria to 1 million copies it took more than a year. Soooo.... it's not 1:1 comparable but I think we can safely say this one is selling a lot faster.
I mean no doubt this is selling alot faster and glad it did. Hopefully the series continue to go uphill in terms of reception + sales

MilkBeard

Oct 25, 2017
Beat the 4th lord. That battle gave a decent challenge. Died the first time, but got it on the second try after changing my ground arte to something more appropriate and having an idea of how the battle goes. It really wasn't that hard once I knew what I was doing. Currently at level 30.

I also like the major plot details that happen after. Now I can say that
Alphen is a 300-something year old grandpa, ha ha

MoonToon

Banned
Nov 9, 2018
Anyone got any good player control sets for Kisara? Seems clear to me that she's best when played by a human as her AI will not keep her alive and having a straight-up tank seems like it could be fun to play.

60fps

Banned
Dec 18, 2017
I'm really enjoying the game but UGH the dialogue...

"Us Dahnans"
"Us slaves"

The writer thinks the audience is DUMB. You don't need Zephyr to constantly say "Us Dahnans are at the mercy of our oppressors, the Renans"

And that line where Alphen was like "something something the yoke of our oppressors. To break the shackles of our enslavers! To live and taste freedom!"

Who writes this crap?

I overall didn't like Berseria at the end of the day, but I remember the dialogue being much better than this.
I wonder if this is a localization thing or if it is the same in Japanese.

I often find (English) dialogue in videogames unambitious compared to books or films in general.

ZeroMaverick

Mar 5, 2018
I'm having some trouble, y'all. After hearing Austin Walker talk up this game, I have heavily considering it even though I don't normally go for Tales games or Tails games or any of the other anime adjacent JRPGs that are out there. Then, I watched some gameplay and saw that the opening of the game is kind of cringeworthy in terms of dialogue and story. I'm conflicted and can't figure out if I would enjoy this game or not. I have started and stopped plenty of JRPGs, but I've only completed or really liked a couple. Chrono Trigger, I Am Setsuna, Final Fantasy 12, FF7 Remake, Persona 5. The most recent JRPG I picked up was Bravely Default 2, and it was OKAY, but the story was kind of bland. I know it's my responsibility to be able to decipher whether or not a game is for me, but I can't seem to figure this one out. Does the story have depth or is it just cringey hero saves the day with bad dialogue stuff?

Edit: or would my time be better spent playing Dragon Quest 11, which I have sitting on my backlog and haven't touched? Buy Deathloop and skip Tales? IDK WHAT TO DO

MilkBeard

Oct 25, 2017
I'm having some trouble, y'all. After hearing Austin Walker talk up this game, I have heavily considering it even though I don't normally go for Tales games or Tails games or any of the other anime adjacent JRPGs that are out there. Then, I watched some gameplay and saw that the opening of the game is kind of cringeworthy in terms of dialogue and story. I'm conflicted and can't figure out if I would enjoy this game or not. I have started and stopped plenty of JRPGs, but I've only completed or really liked a couple. Chrono Trigger, I Am Setsuna, Final Fantasy 12, FF7 Remake, Persona 5. The most recent JRPG I picked up was Bravely Default 2, and it was OKAY, but the story was kind of bland. I know it's my responsibility to be able to decipher whether or not a game is for me, but I can't seem to figure this one out. Does the story have depth or is it just cringey hero saves the day with bad dialogue stuff?

Edit: or would my time be better spent playing Dragon Quest 11, which I have sitting on my backlog and haven't touched? Buy Deathloop and skip Tales? IDK WHAT TO DO
Play the demo. Otherwise, I'd probably say play DQ 11, then get Tales of Arise on sale later if you enjoyed the demo. Tales games kind of have cringe writing but they hit a nice spot for comfy JRPGs with fun battle systems. I'm enjoying the game a lot but I know what to expect with Tales games. If you can't tolerate the writing then you might not enjoy it.

The plot and setup of the story are interesting enough despite the weaknesses in the writing, and it's keeping the game interesting. Of course, the gameplay is pretty great, imo, and it has a beautiful presentation. I also like these types of ARPGs and I'm willing to overlook some weaknesses in the writing if everything else is good, which is how I feel ToA is.

Last edited:

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017

DQ11 is the better game. It has better characters too. Play Arise demo first though.

Oct 27, 2017
Mount Airy, MD

DQ11 is pretty great, and maybe overall a better game? I'd say it's a tough call, as I haven't finished Arise yet.

I do think Arise's combat is a lot more fun, and the environments are more detailed and interesting. Most other things, I'd give to DQ.

Bessy67

Oct 29, 2017
So does it slow down and open up after a while? I'm on the 2nd lord and so far it feels like a very linear/focused, almost boss rush experience which seems pretty different from Vesperia.

purg3

Oct 25, 2017
The indignation spam is a DPS check, he only gets to do one cast in the middle of the battle if you're playing right. It's not a hard boss if you know what you're doing and are properly equipped. The fight takes around 4-5 minutes. What do people want, 1 minute bossfights? that's would be so lame and anti-climatic.

Yes, the second time I had to fight him I didn't have that issue. I just don't think it explained it well with how much stuff started going up on screen. I'll try to play the game right going forward. I was just more pissed my game froze and had to do it again lol.

CrichtonKicks

Oct 25, 2017
So does it slow down and open up after a while? I'm on the 2nd lord and so far it feels like a very linear/focused, almost boss rush experience which seems pretty different from Vesperia.
Yeah the third area is bigger than the second and the same applies to the fourth (to early in to the fifth to make that call yet).

purg3

Oct 25, 2017
After the chain battle tutorial I started running around fighting everything and built up a chain. Next thing a huge ass dragon swooped in the battle. Are you supposed to kill him then. I used a crap ton of items and took him down. Was kind of crazy

Is this scripted or random?

MilkBeard

Oct 25, 2017
After the chain battle tutorial I started running around fighting everything and built up a chain. Next thing a huge ass dragon swooped in the battle. Are you supposed to kill him then. I used a crap ton of items and took him down. Was kind of crazy

Is this scripted or random?
It's a side quest. check the city later and you can get your reward

AtlasRyker

Jun 21, 2021
the battle was intense and fierce, the truth is that I had a great time. I lost the first round, so I loaded a backup and decided to equip the 4 acc. with the 50% light damage reduction decrease, I noticed it a lot. As for the characters, I upgraded them to the best weapons available at the time and finished expanding arts, a great improvement.

That Cerberus boss who is inside the castle, can you fight with him? And how?

Fireblend

Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica

Play DQ11, 100%

I'm really enjoying this game but DQ11 is a masterpiece.

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
Just beat the second lord, first try on Hard, but holy shit it was close, I tapped out of all my resources and beat him within like a split second before he wiped my party. Couldn't take on the optional Zeugle after because I had nothing left to sustain a long fight lol

I have started and stopped plenty of JRPGs, but I've only completed or really liked a couple. Chrono Trigger, I Am Setsuna, Final Fantasy 12, FF7 Remake, Persona 5.
I Am Setsuna is such a bizarre game to have on that list, a bunch of good games and one really terrible one lmao

anyway doesn't sound like you'll like Tales of Arise, it's still a Tales game (read: super anime JPRG), just really well made. nothing saving that dialogue tho.

dark494

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Seattle

Here's a dissenting opinion. DQ11 is terrible and I hated literally everything in that game despite platinuming it. Arise is far and away better than it

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
Finished the game as close to 100% as I feel like getting, because there's no point in grinding the party to 100 for the last achievement or picking up rocks for an hour to fill in some stat that barely tells you anything. Wasn't the worst Tales I've ever played but hoo boy, it's definitely nowhere near the top. It's a very pretty game, but that prettiness is surface-level and shallow is the name of the game here. Played the whole thing on hard mode as Alphen.

They have a good basis for a battle system but put too much effort into making all of the systems work against each other. We get the next step in Berseria's weird CC-like system with AG and it works pretty well in a vacuum(and gets points simply by not being TP), but you never have any opportunity to even use most of it. Basic enemies stagger at some arbitrary breaking point that you can't see coming so you never know when to use attacks that combo well, and even once they are staggered you're probably spending the next few attacks flinging your body around the map because everything you do overshoots the target by a mile, so you barely get to capitalize on it. Not to mention everything instantly breaks out of the combo once they land from air combos, and fuck you if something happens to down the enemy because your fun ends as soon as they wake up.

Bosses were even worse because they never stagger ever, so you have to run around waiting for their attack string to end so you can throw in one really quick attack before jumping around again hoping they don't blast you to death. Making boost attacks(and core crushing I guess) the only thing that can stop bosses would have been fine if, oh I don't know, they gave you ANY time to do anything? You can get maybe two artes off if you're fast, and nothing's really going to do a whole lot of damage in that time so the boss fights are just this long awkward dance while you hope the AI does anything useful.

Alphen's flame sword attacks were almost a good idea, but they ruined them by giving them ZERO SUPER ARMOR and making most of them take forever to come out. The very first one you learn needs an extremely long amount of time to go from the end of the arte to the next actual hit. That's never going to be useful in a fight. The fact that they take hp would have been great since we have infinitely regenerating AG, but no, they decided to shove one of the worst mechanics ever into the game with CP. Why did they think this was a good idea? Did anyone stand up and say "I'm having fun because Dohalim died for the fifth time this battle and I've run out of CP halfway through the dungeon"? Because all it does is limit what you're able to do between trips to campsites and force you to drink a whole litre of orange juice every boss battle because the AI doesn't understand that lasers kill you when you stand in front of them. Being required to use a ton of items to stay healed is not a fun way to play a game, and I hope it never comes back again ever. Especially when they hide chests and stuff behind pointless obstacles that REQUIRE LARGE AMOUNTS OF CP TO PASS. WHY???? Orange gels are fucking expensive too, and the skills/accessories/recipes that mitigate CP loss come way too late in the game to make up for its existence.

Overlimit isn't a good idea and tying mystic artes to it is also bad. You have no idea when you're going to proc it so you can't prepare for it to happen or use it during a boss's downed time to get the most out of it. It interrupts battle for no reason to tell you it's there, which also prevents you from being able to use boost skills for a second or two so good luck if the AI decides to get hit and trigger it while you're trying to time a counter boost. The fact that you need five different artes for the second ones is also not fun or engaging at all, and just makes you flop around for a while during a period where you're most likely at low hp because of the big hit you took that put you into overlimit. MA's aren't even a good way to enhance combos because they reset the entire fight and stick you and the enemies on opposite sides unable to act for a bit for no reason. Berseria was sensible enough to use a blast gauge for these things, they shouldn't have regressed.

Boost attacks in general were rather disappointing. They interrupt the flow of the fight just to give you a very brief chance to do more damage(because we all know nobody's using them to extend the combos they aren't doing on these bosses...) and half of them don't even track well enough to properly counter the things they're meant to.

The overly frenetic close-up camera also makes it impossible to tell what's going on in mystic artes and finishers and that's not good.

Dodging is fine but they shouldn't have done the dark souls 2 and make you have to improve some stat(learning skills in this case) to make it better, just leave it up to player skill please. Countering is also not even a good idea sometimes, because you don't have any real invincibility acting out of your counter so you can still get bonked by attacks with persistent hitboxes. Do it like Ys does, give us some invincibility and maybe some bonuses for a bit so there's more reason to learn the patterns. It could even have made attempting combos on bosses a viable option if the counter staggered them or gave you a few seconds of invincibility.

Also this game had a bad case of KH3 graphics, where everything anyone did gave off way too many particle effects or exploded into some elemental nonsense that you can't see through. In a game where the enemies are constantly a threat because they rarely(never if boss) stagger, this is really bad. Especially so when there's no way to differentiate friendly and enemy spells, no silhouettes to track, no sound cues to listen to because everyone's screaming over each other.

Map design was less terribly boring than Berseria and Zesty, but still not good. Enemies being stationary for the most part forced encounters on you that you'd have to expend CP on most likely(during dungeons anyway), so you'd likely have to make multiple trips if you couldn't reach the healing spot before the boss before that happened. Unless you're rich and can buy a million orange gels I guess. The maps themselves were glorified corridors with a branch here and there for bonus. It was very obvious where to go and where to avoid unless you want treasure. They shouldn't have filled in the entire minimap immediately if they wanted at least some mystery to the journey. Also a lot of dead ends were just there for the sake of having an otherwise empty room with a chest or bag of milk somewhere in the corner. Stick some RE lore papers around or put inspectable things there. Make things less bland :(. Also the jumping was pointless when they only used it once or twice for anything. Either go all-in with overworld fighting or make platforming a real thing in the overworld. And bring back puzzles. The last few games have been horribly devoid of anything requiring thought while exploring.

The music was very bland overall. I could barely hear the battle music during fights but none of them really stuck with me. Cutscene music would just randomly get really loud and booming for no reason, area music was just kind of there? It also didn't sound like we got much synth, which just feels wrong. This is probably more of a personal opinion thing than the rest of this post. I wasn't feeling much from the soundtrack.

The simplification of equipment felt kind of lame, but again that's probably more of a personal thing. I wasn't even really into Berseria or Zesty's equipment skill stuff, but everything in this game is just a stat stick. No reason to pick armor over each other for resistances or anything, just pick the highest stats. Weapons tried with the elemental bonuses, but I don't feel like those ever even helped much. Similarly, the simplification of enemy weaknesses to just their opposing element(if they have one) and the occasional boost weakness was disappointing. You have no reason to keep any variety of attacks around when there's no weakness aspects to chase like Berseria/Graces/Destiny/whatever else.

I did not like the story or characters at all.

The story is paced way too fast and nothing ever has time to breathe. The characters' motivations were all paper thin and end up dissolving by the end of the game because of it, so everyone just melts into this collective puddle of friendship.

For a game that seems to be basing itself on the uprising of the downtrodden against unjustices in the world, they do a really bad job of showing you what those even are. You get a few minutes of Alphen complaining about being a slave while sinister slavery shit happens in the background, but then we immediately jump to Patrick Seitz unleashing the plot device who falls into Alphen's lap and inadvertently gives him some bullshit ability to break free from his shackles and free his people, which he does five minutes later. Then all of the evil people just leave while Alphen sleeps for a week.

The next place isn't much better. Patrick Seitz lets himself be captured for no real reason and we're not allowed to help because people might get hurt, which is never a concern at any other point in the game. We're told everyone is too scared to help or do anything, but the majority of our interactions are with the resistance, who seem to be really excited about doing something. They're also led by the most conspicuous man possible. Then we kill that guy. Oppression over, all the other bad people left. Also they forgave whoever helped spy on people because forgiveness is important.

Then they visit the most perfect paradise in the world where everyone gets along, but surprise there's actually a heinous plot perpetrated by someone that NOBODY ELSE NOTICED and it's up to Alphen to solve it with the help of a very calm man who drank too much capri sun. The evil plot is revealed and ends up triggering horrifying memories that were never explained to us in order to give an excuse for a boss fight. The culprit is apprehended, but not really because you should just forgive criminals that killed a lot of people instead of punishing them I guess. Everyone realizes racism still exists and moves on.

The fourth realm has already been "liberated", but oh no! It turns out hateful, bad people can exist on OUR side as well. This somehow solidifies everyone's bonds before a backstory for Rinwell is puked up at our feet, and she's then told in what I assume was intended to be a heartfelt scene that she shouldn't kill a really terrible person just because. Like, I guess rising up is okay but don't do it too hard or someone's feelings might get hurt. You know, the people who have been fucking over your planet for hundreds of years. She dies anyway because Sephiroth showed up to progress the plot. Also the hateful people didn't end up mattering because they all exploded.

Then, we find out as 100% fact that Alphen is actually from hundreds of years in the past based on pure speculation over extremely vague details that one person barely remembers. This upsets him greatly and removes his desire to rise up like a gamer...because he killed a bunch of people. Except this is very poorly portrayed. He sees blood on his hands in the middle of a burning city, and this is supposed to convince us that he committed such horrible atrocities that he would falter in his desire to liberate the world. How? We didn't see him gutting people on the street or ripping buildings in half. We didn't see him do anything! Instead he tells us he did and he feels really bad and we're just supposed to accept that as his excuse. Well it doesn't even matter because after being complained at by everyone who is now 100% friends with each other and has given up on all their racism, he goes right back to his original mission.

The weirdest possible scene plays out in watertown, where people chant in boats and then evaporate...somehow. And just by watching that happen, everyone is able to deduce that they're being mind-controlled and forced into this against their will by the evil wet man. Why couldn't we have been introduced to this by exploring the city and encountering people acting like this first, instead of having it thrown at us randomly? Sephiroth dies or whatever and some weird person floats up and steals all our chaos emeralds. A weird person that has apparently been present at the side of every lord so far, but conveniently nobody remembers. This could have been foreshadowed just a teeeeny tiny bit and actually add an element of mystery to the plot, but instead it's just dropped on us out of nowhere.

And with that, the world is freed from evil and nothing bad will ever happen again. The entire first "half" of the story revolves around the horrible things these psychopathic people are doing around the continent, but nobody was really in that much danger outside of Calaglia. Cyslodia got on just fine outside of its weird spotlight slavery, but since we never see any of that actually occur we just have to believe everyone telling us it's really bad. Elde Menancia was fine outside of the convenient people-melting fruit that nobody ever noticed. In Mahag Saar we never got a taste of whatever horrible things its people were forced to do, and it just made the Dahnans look bad instead since their immediate pains were mostly self-inflicted. Ganath Haros was just nonsensical to the extreme and I don't understand what it was supposed to convey to us beyond the fact that Vholran himself was nothing but nonsense. Not to mention all attempts to describe the crown contest, the dumb event behind all of the problems in the first half, just leave you with more and more questions and things become less and less clear.

A big laser happens for no reason and then we visit the land of the racists and find out they're not doing too hot :(. Their funny leader man hasn't been telling them what to do, and they can barely function without having orders beamed into their eyeballs. There's also a disgusting attempt to humanize the lords that really isn't necessary. Nothing could ever redeem the absurd goonishness of their evil and they could never say enough to convince us they had any real character. They're just bad people and bad villains.

Of course, none of this matters after a conveniently placed spaceman dumps all the lore on us and it turns out, racism was completely fabricated by the will of a planet and it was actually aliens that caused everyone's problems. And our solution is to put the planet's soul in a box, or blow it up if that's not an option. Like...what? Where does this tie in to rising up against oppression? Is it because the planet was oppressing the aliens and indirectly caused us our problems? But we're also kinda sympathetic to it now? They really could have used more development of the idea that astral energy can form a will of its own, beyond the very brief introduction we get to it before this is revealed. By this point everyone's motivations are irrelevant except for Alphen and Shionne because they both tryna live out here. And despite Sephiroth's best attempts at being a memorable character they manage to achieve that with little real effort on anyone's part and get to enjoy their happy ending.

It all felt very shallow, and a lot of it very unnecessary. There was far too much telling, where they'd tell us all about how crappy life is and how they want to be free, with very little showing of any of the before, during or after bits of staging a revolution. We'd be rushed along through each area to get to the lord to kill them all while being stopped every few feet so they could wax poetic about what it means to be a slave, except we only ever saw a few minutes of Alphen's life as a slave. Everyone spends all their time talking about their one quirky trait to endear themselves to the audience but none of it feels authentic when we never actually experience any of anyone's strife outside of their introductions(or a bit later in Rinwell's case because they needed to give us a reason to hate the wind lord).

We get told a bit about everyone's pasts/childhoods which is all well and good, but there's very little out in the world to corroborate or add to it. We never see anyone's homes(unless you count the guard/master's quarters in the palace?), there are very few NPCs who have past connections to the party and actually bother to talk about them. We don't even know where Alphen grew up, even though we've walked around the entire planet. The "history" of Dahna was supposedly erased after the invasion and that apparently removes any sort of interesting tidbits about the world they could have given us. And the "artifacts" we find are just references to other random games instead of potential links to the older civilizations. Almost nobody in the party feels like they even belong in this world.

Shionne's whole character makes no sense. Why did the thorns(and maiden ablities?) only manifest in her? If they're so hellbent on keeping her alive and reject other people because they're scary why did they allow any of the experimentation that was done to her? How did she even get onto the planet in the first place and steal a whole master core? And who chained her up and put her in a cargo train? Where was it even coming from? How did the resistance find out all of that detailed information about it? So many questions, no answers. Her spending large portions of the game worrying about some vague horrifying apocalypse she's somehow aware of is also not compelling when it's just her telling us that a few times.

As mentioned before, the antagonists were very underwhelming. A bit of flash here and there in the few scenes they're in, then bam they're gone. Never mattered. You're just mopping up the messes they left(except not really since you leave immediately most of the time, turns out there's good enough infrastructure among the various resistances to keep a realm running despite their lack of 'culture' or chances to flourish as slaves we're told so much about).

The bonus dungeon characters were also pretty disappointing. You're telling me you pulled areas from six different games and you have one and half world's worth of characters to show for it? Lame.

Game did look very pretty though.

15 hours in sometime after Lord 2 and I share your sentiments almost entirely(skipping spoiler plot points you wrote).

It's been a rather mundane Tales and jRPG experience with some flakiness surrounding the combat that could be improved in future iterations, but not up to task here. I am losing engagement fast and am not sure I'll stick it out to its end.

Characters are paper thin, as are motivations and plot. It briskly moves through near identical oppressive situations while simultaneously spouting redundant loops of motivational banter that is both obvious, yet completely oblivious to some characters to "find meaning in" and I find it aggressively irritating. Not to mention the party cross-talk that keeps regurgitating their single identifiable traits and absurdly dim communication skills.

Combat can be fun, and it's a novel reboot over the direction from Zest/Berseria track that I didn't love, but is crushed by certain decisions that punishes or has finite opportune windows that seem to dissipate before they can be best utilized. There is little to no telegraphing for dodging, many Artes have animation cycles without dodge cancelling, rendering the choices both in selection and in action particularly gummy, not to mention how obfuscating the constant light show can be. On hard, the extreme hp jump in bosses further hinders a lot of your tactics leading to more spam before the interesting elements can worm their way in. Yet on normal and sometimes moderate, the proceedings can be too easy and mere mindless attrition is in your favor.

Environments are claustrophobic and dull, despite the painterly veneer. Zestiria often had too much space in its enormous zones, but I find myself missing the scale and scope. That game felt like a grand journey through a large world, despite its issues. Secrets and discovery and even environmental hazards felt notable, while Arise feels objectively hollow in contrast. I have more of Arise to see, but your comments seem to make me think little will change.

Oh and the soundtrack has left me cold. Enemy variety too.

There is a foundation here seemingly, but I'm surprised at the adoration. I dropped Berseria as the combat and equipment upkeep broke my spirit, even though I liked most of the rest going on and still think about giving it another chance. I'm finding less here to keep me grasping onto.

ZeroMaverick

Mar 5, 2018
Just beat the second lord, first try on Hard, but holy shit it was close, I tapped out of all my resources and beat him within like a split second before he wiped my party. Couldn't take on the optional Zeugle after because I had nothing left to sustain a long fight lol

I Am Setsuna is such a bizarre game to have on that list, a bunch of good games and one really terrible one lmao

anyway doesn't sound like you'll like Tales of Arise, it's still a Tales game (read: super anime JPRG), just really well made. nothing saving that dialogue tho.

To be honest, the only thing I liked about Setsuna was the soundtrack and the affective character of the game (a term I use to describe a combination of factors that work together to elicit emotional response, so, like soundtrack, setting, visuals, and story premise). Maybe I'll just get Tales when it goes on sale. I played a bit of the demo and found the visuals to be striking and the gameplay pretty fun. It's all that shouting during battle and what I've seen people say about the writing that has me iffy about it.

How booby are the women? It's not Xenoblade levels of bad, right?

Deleted member 91227

Feb 4, 2021

I'm having a blast with it and haven't played a Tales games before and am not always able to get into anime styled stuff.

That said, I'm always a proponent of not having a backlog and DQ11 is very good as well, so I'd likely say just give that a go if you're just in the mood to give a JRPG a go vs. spending more money and adding OT the backlog.

As others note, definitely check out the Tales demo either way. Just know he combat is a bit overwhelming in it as it starts with a full party and tons of mechanics unlocked where as in the base game stuff is slowly added and explained gradually so it's easier to figure out the systems.

Edit: Just saw in a later reply that you did play the demo. If that didn't lead to a "Wow, I want to buy and play this right now!" reaction it's definitely the right move to play DQ11 or something else and maybe consider this in a sale down the road.

Nov 24, 2020
Tampa, Fl
Beat the 2nd lord and man that was not fun when you have to constantly just use items to keep party alive. Also not a fan of these super sponge enemies so far, I was actually getting bored halfway into the fight. Maybe I just suck.

tjlee2

Oct 27, 2017
Just beat the second lord, first try on Hard, but holy shit it was close, I tapped out of all my resources and beat him within like a split second before he wiped my party. Couldn't take on the optional Zeugle after because I had nothing left to sustain a long fight lol.

That gigant should be pretty easy. All the moves have reasonable tells (hardest one is breath), and it's almost like a dark souls large enemy in that other than the pounce attack, if you just stay on its side (which you will do anyways because that's where the weakpoint is) it can't hit you with anything. It being susceptible to standard down from Aiphen, and Law being able to safely power up (add steel and sharpness to him), it should be over pretty quickly.

Apollo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The best thing about this game is that the accessory system is not just "not bad", but is actually great. Didn't know modern tales was capable of equipment systems that won't make me won't to quit the game lol

Rainy

Oct 25, 2017
Sales for the game look pretty good. Already over 1 million worldwide, fastest in history. The series has stagnated in terms of sales in Japan but the west is kinda picking up the slack in that regard. Hopefully it reaches 2 million before the end of the year.

tjlee2

Oct 27, 2017
The best thing about this game is that the accessory system is not just "not bad", but is actually great. Didn't know modern tales was capable of equipment systems that won't make me won't to quit the game lol

Yeah, a lot of games commit to too many customizable slots and therefore need to distill each piece of equipment to prevent them from being overpowered, but it ends up making the benefit they apply marginal. Arise has been good about this, with the primary effect being extremely noticeable, secondary effects not overshadowing the primary, and damage ones being far less in value than defensive counterparts. This makes choosing 15% damage up not as clear cut as it would in other games.

Just a little after the first boss, SP rates seem dreadful. Do they get better?

They overcompensated on how much rez spells cost because, I assume, they based its value on how much they wanted healing to cost, instead of vise versa. Being dead is already bad enough, but the CP cost is just salt on the wound. Rez spells should cost no more than double of standard healing, not 4x. On the flip side, maybe they want life bottle to mean something, but life bottle always will just by being instant.

Last edited:

Rainy

Oct 25, 2017
I got the ultimate edition digitally for this release but I want to get a physical for my collection later. Almost tempted to get a PAL copy.

Mediking

Final Fantasy Best Boy (Grip)

Very well deserved and I'm happy they are getting success and praise for this great game

Rainy

Oct 25, 2017
I'm almost done with the third realm but I think this game is at least my third favorite tales game. Behind Abyss and Symphonia. Will see how it fairs as I play the rest.