• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Ramako

Jan 1, 2018
Canada
I've got the physical disc for PS5, but the install is stuck at 99+ hours left for "Data needed to start playing" and 3 hours for "All data".... what the hell?

tiebreaker

Oct 25, 2017
When can I switch characters I only reached the first town.
also does anybody else find the button mapping weird in bsttle? I can't settle on a good binding on ps5. Jump just feels odd with circle and normal attack as r1 and dodge set to r2? I feel like my hands are all over the controller with standard button actions. Like I can't dodge very quickly as I need to release my finger from attack first.

I've remapped attack to square and the three artes butttons to the face buttons and dodge to R1and it's better I think (more like Ys) but that still leaves the jump button as R2 which is odd, as it's circle outside battles. You can only change battle button mapping.

Yeah. It needs some getting used to, but I think it has finally clicked for me after like 2 hours.

Manu

Oct 27, 2017
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Ive read lots of complaints in the steam reviews that there are TONS of DLC adds in the game. Also exp was made to be a slog just to sell the 2x exp microtransactions. I was going to buy this game but this made me pause. Many reviews say this on the steam page...
The DLC thing is bullshit, but I'm just playing through the story and I don't feel underleveled at all, 7 hours in. I can't imagine someone playing on Easy mode feeling underleveled.

Kromeo

Oct 27, 2017
Bah I hadn't realised Shionne voice was Futaba/Jessie, I'm not a big fan... hopefully I'll like her more playing a less annoying character than those two

Refrain

Oct 27, 2017
I waited on user impressions for this exact reason. I told myself it looked fun (user impressions) and didn't have insulting dlc then I would get it tonight and play all weekend....

Locking characters abilities to dlc costumes was the deal breaker for me. The other cheats were bad enough (should've been included in the easy mode). I'll wait on a deep sale, very disappointing.

I'm also reading they advertise the DLC cheats when you rest at camp, no shame lol.
Ive read lots of complaints in the steam reviews that there are TONS of DLC adds in the game. Also exp was made to be a slog just to sell the 2x exp microtransactions. I was going to buy this game but this made me pause. Many reviews say this on the steam page...
Tales of games have always been like this. They sell "cheats" as dlc. Those are actually the things you can unlock in newgame+ with the in game grade shop. You absolutely don't need those to play the game. Those are for people who don't have enough time and don't want to spend time grinding too much.

nicoga3000

Oct 25, 2017
So is this a game with a lot of exploration, secrets, side content, post game, etc? The pics and videos look cool, but I've never played any of these games.

Oct 29, 2017
There's a DLC (growth boost pack) that gives 1000 SP to the entire party. But what if I redeem it before I have all the party members… does it go to waste or will they automatically get it when they join?

Refrain

Oct 27, 2017
What the hell? Youtube has spoiled me again but apparently the game has a second opening!?

Last edited by a moderator:

Yinyangfooey

Oct 27, 2017
There's a DLC (growth boost pack) that gives 1000 SP to the entire party. But what if I redeem it before I have all the party members… does it go to waste or will they automatically get it when they join?

no, other members will get it. Spend away

What the hell? Youtube has spoiled me again but apparently the game has a second opening!?

yes after you beat the first "half" of the game. Well you're more about 60% done by then but still.

Last edited by a moderator:

Gloomz

Oct 27, 2017
Is there a way to turn off this dumb 'outfits' thing and just have it show whatever armor you're wearing on your character?

TheWorthyEdge

Oct 25, 2017
Curious. For JRPGs to really grab me they need to feel like a journey to me. Take me all over the place to a bunch of locations. Xenoblade Chronicles is my favorite game ever and that really does a damn good job of making you feel like an adventurer. How does this game do?

Papercuts

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Wow the second main boss was a big step up on moderate. RIP my items.

So is there any consensus on remapping buttons? The default layout in the demo didn't feel very good

I have attack one X, Artes on Y/RB/RT, dodge on A and jump on B. Did this in the demo and it feels a lot better to me.

I wanted to keep jump the same since you can't remap it out of battle.

Neki

Oct 25, 2017
I'm having a lot of fun with the combat and I absolutely adore the team finishers. It makes me wish this is how a modern Chrono Trigger would handle dual techs and it never gets old finishing enemies with it.

CrichtonKicks

Oct 25, 2017
Wait, shouldn't the saves between One X and Series X be compatible? Accidentally download the One version on my SX and played an hour or so before realizing my mistake. I started the SX version and assumed my One X save would be there but that's not the case?

ozumas

Born to be Wise
Dec 15, 2020
Like I said I am past 2 boss and:

I have mix feelings about Shionne like I get she must have reasons to be like that, cold, arrogant and inhuman sometimes and I like that in her personality but sometimes it just too much, a friend of them just died and she didn't sympathize at all with Alphen, I get you have your objective but sometimes I wish alphen just throw the sword and go off and leave her alone because sometimes she is hard to deal with. Needlessto say, Alphen is too emotional and Shionne may be sometimes right about just focusing in the objetive but at least, he try to empathize with her.

Like I don't know, she also cares about him and sometimes show a bit of humanity but when not is just so cold

TaySan

SayTan
Dec 10, 2018
Tulsa, Oklahoma
Beat the first boss and now going to the next world
PC players, I highly recommend turning off the glow and bloom. It makes a world of difference visually.

Jarmel

The Jackrabbit Always Wins
Oct 25, 2017
New York
Good lord, this camera is right on top of the character. There really needs to be a FOV slider.

Pizzamigo

Oct 25, 2017
I'm pretty sure I accidentally skipped an in-game cinematic after the first boss. It started to play the animated intro which I quickly skipped but then I think I skipped another scene right after that cause the next scene back in town they're immediately talking about something that happened after the boss fight that I missed.

Can someone fill me in on what happened there please and thanks.

bunkitz

Brave Little Spark
Oct 28, 2017
Played nearly all day yesterday. I couldn't pull myself away, just in love with this game already. I've put in a little over 10 hours and I read somewhere it's about 65 hours? I'm itching to play more but I also don't wanna burn through the game quickly... This reminds me of my experience with Tales of the Abyss where I was disappointed about the estimated time it takes to beat it cause I wanted way more than 60+ hours. Feels like a lot of JRPGs, I get greedy and want more time even though they're already very long each.

I think I may be experiencing a bug though. Has anyone here noticed if there "People" tab in the Glossary menu updates? Mine's only got four entries, the latest being Hootle. Since the first three (which was VERY early into the game, like before meeting Shionne) I got no new entries there, it's weird. Super minor thing, obviously, but I actually like reading all the glossary entries so it's disappointing that I'm not getting new entries for everyone I meet.

Rinwell might be my fave to play as. I'd been playing as Alphen majority of the time and played a bit of Shionne for a little bit, but only some time after the first boss. I instantly switched to Rinwell the second I unlocked her cause I liked her magic system from what I played of it in the demo. IT'S SO DAMN FUN. I thought you could only stock up to two spells but apparently you can stock three! I did it without realizing and cast Divine Saber, which was an incredibly powerful-looking spell by the way, and I Google'd it. Turns out, two Holy Lances would combine into that too, but three... err, whatever the first lightning spell is, works too. Tried it with the beginner wind spell too and got Cyclone, which I vastly prefer over Cross Blade since I rarely hit enemies with that one, lmao. Now I'm excited to see what comes after Freeze Lancer later.

Alphen is a pretty standard fare sword character, but I was kinda playing him poorly (in that I was geting hit a lot, etc.) and failing to pull off counter edges, but I'm slowly getting the hang of it now and enjoying combat with him much more that way. His perk with the Blazing Sword is great, but it's annoying when you get hit before he actually does the attack. Not sure if his HP'd gone down by then, but seeing as the ground is already ablaze when I get hit, I would assume so. Hoping the skill to hasten the charge time for it will help. Saving up for that right now. It is super satisfying when you do hit enemies (especially multiple) with these attacks though... makes it tempting to just keep using them, but that'd drain his health too quickly, lol.

Loving the story and world so far, and I really appreciate how the characters don't always get along. Even Shionne and Alphen still butt heads fairly regularly where I am, which is much nicer than simply having everyone get along and be all buddy-buddy soon after joining the party. Coming from the demo, it's especially interesting to see the tension between Rinwell and Shionne since they seemed to get along there. The last Tales games I played was Xillia and I don't recall there being much tension/animosity between the party which is what I'm used to, so this is a refreshing change.

Anyways, at Cyslodia now, just reached the capital and unlocked the Owl Forest side quest. I fucking love that. It's adorable. That was a very nice change from what happens almost immediately before, I believe?

Finding the mess of dead zeugles and that mysterious dark figure who single-handedly slaughtered them all. Sheesh... I think that's the second Lord? I seem to recall someone saying something about how they were someone who would kill zeugles for sport or something. Though now I realize that this seems to be the same person Alphen fights in the OP. Now that I think about it... They had a blue sword. This guy had a katana. Probably not far-fetched to think it's the ice equivalent of the Blazing Sword, no? In that case... Pretty crazy if we're gonna be going up against this guy so soon. I get the impression that he's the final boss or among the last ones we'll fight. Got Van and Ashe vibes from them, in an imposing future opponent kind of way.

Gotta say though, I think they did a damn good job for when the OP kicks in during the story. Got all emotional when it happened and it was at that moment that I felt this surge of excitement towards experiencing the rest of the story. Hibana is growing on me quite fast, it's no Karma, but it's damn good.

After defeating Balseph and Alphen wakes up with memories of his name. When he shouts it and then the OP plays right after. So damn good.

SpoonyBob

Oct 27, 2017
Arkansas
Finally getting a chance to start this up this weekend.

I know I'm probably going to regret asking, but... Does Arise have the typically insane amount missables that pretty much require a meticulous guide to get?

Yinyangfooey

Oct 27, 2017
Okay I thought i'm nearly end game since I clocked around 24hours plus the owl count

thanks and looking forward later on it

you're tracking nearly identical to what I did. 25 hours where you are, and then I beat the game at 35 hours. Took me 50 hours for the platinum (although I had DLC stuff and played on easy mode)

Finally getting a chance to start this up this weekend.

I know I'm probably going to regret asking, but... Does Arise have the typically insane amount missables that pretty much require a meticulous guide to get?

no but be careful as there's a missable owl at the ship part, also at least activate skits as they come by. You don't have to watch them all the way through, but at least activate them. Story skits can be missable if you head over to the next town

those two are the only ones concerning trophies

Rainy

Oct 25, 2017
30ish hours is short for a Tales game but I do wonder if the shorter length made this game better.

Papercuts

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
For a recent example, I thought Xenoblade 2 did exploration better, used verticality in interesting ways, etc.

Xenoblade 2 drove me nuts with the blade skills and how you can hit roadblocks in exploration due to it personally, though that series generally does exploration well.

From what I've seen in Arise so far the field maps are a huge step up over the previous games atleast.

Okabe

Is Sometimes A Good Bean
Aug 24, 2018
The first boss is one-shotting me

I....I don't know what to do lmao