• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

TheRealMoB

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 1, 2020
Was watching a youtuber mention how the pop in is noticeably better on the recent preview builds compared to the demo we got. Demo seems to be at lease 3-4 months old apparently.

GetDigitized

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So I like to go into games blind, I've played or tried all of the games from ps3/vita-ps4 besides berseria... I mainly played them for the gameplay+setting and have always thought the stories were bad/mediocre due to how they're told (with dramatic cutscenes displaying crappy drama rather than actual well written dialogue + story) . Does this one do anything different? Also how improved is the combat vs zesteria?

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
So I like to go into games blind, I've played or tried all of the games from ps3/vita-ps4 besides berseria... I mainly played them for the gameplay+setting and have always thought the stories were bad/mediocre due to how they're told (with dramatic cutscenes displaying crappy drama rather than actual well written dialogue + story) . Does this one do anything different? Also how improved is the combat vs zesteria?
Its really just a Tales game with nicer graphics. At least that's the impression I got from the demo.

edit: You did miss out on one of the better Tales stories with Berseria though.

TheRealMoB

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 1, 2020
Tales games are so damn comforting. Super charming and relaxing and just an overall joy to play

Gunny T Highway

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Was watching a youtuber mention how the pop in is noticeably better on the recent preview builds compared to the demo we got. Demo seems to be at lease 3-4 months old apparently.
Most demo's tend to be months old build's. Even the technical test build Halo Infinite had at the end of July was at the time over 2 months old.

garion333

Oct 27, 2017

Stay away, try again with one of the games you already own.

GetDigitized

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Its really just a Tales game with nicer graphics. At least that's the impression I got from the demo.

edit: You did miss out on one of the better Tales stories with Berseria though.
Yeah... That's what i was afraid of.
Yeah i remember the hype around release, but was pretty burnt out at that point playing xillia 2(2/3 way through) ^ zesteria back to back.
Stay away, try again with one of the games you already own.
I actually sold my collection a couple of years ago, had a couple of CE's / day 1 editions. I haven't completed Vesperia && Xillia 2 , played the rest the whole way through. I only have access to vesperia via gamepass now.

Desma

Oct 27, 2017
Zestiria was rock bottom when it came to battle system, so it should be better. But the demo does a bad job showing it.

Don't expect anything better from the plot, even from the demo I could tell it had some of the same issues from other games lol

Last edited:

Mercador

Nov 18, 2017
Quebec City
The scenes from the demo won't be in the game. They were made for the demo so there were no voice.
When asked about the voiced dialogue, the director said that people should expect it to be around the same as Berseria.
Thanks, I never played Berseria that much so I don't remember. However, I played quite a lot of ToS and ToV. I'm eager for a new Tales, that's for sure.

Yazuka

Oct 27, 2017
Sweden
So when do we expect Bandai Namco to start shipping out the game?
I preordered a Collector's Edition from Bamco EU and it's my first time dealing with them.

datschge

Oct 25, 2017
I'm honestly surprised how many people complain about the battle cries, not knowing where they come from. I guess fighting games of old are no longer common knowledge (Hadouken!, Hadouken!, Hadouken!, Hadouken!...).

Then again it's odd the Tales series didn't stick to the configurability of Team Destiny games which had separate volume settings for battle voices, event/skit voices, movie volume aside bgm and sfx volume, as well as pretty extensive camera settings.

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
Playing the demo more, there's some odd decisions they've made with some of these artes and its something thats been an issue in the series before. For example, Law has two neutral element arts that launch enemies into the air. It just causes confusion when they do the exact same thing. I can understand the similar but different element artes since you can build for that specifically with weapons and accessories but they really should cut down on the amount of artes like that.

Also I've never felt less control of my party in a Tales game but maybe its just a demo thing. I also played a lot of Tales games in co-op so that probably adds to the feeling.

I did like how Law and Dohalim can do traditional juggling although the latter's magic artes are really bad for the time they take to cast.

Shionne feels terrible to play as and a lot of her attacks can whiff.

I'm still getting a feel for each character but I think I'm going to wait to see general public reception of the full game before buying. The demo basically changed this from a maybe day one to a wait and see for me.

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'm honestly surprised how many people complain about the battle cries, not knowing where they come from. I guess fighting games of old are no longer common knowledge (Hadouken!, Hadouken!, Hadouken!, Hadouken!...).

Then again it's odd the Tales series didn't stick to the configurability of Team Destiny games which had separate volume settings for battle voices, event/skit voices, movie volume aside bgm and sfx volume, as well as pretty extensive camera settings.
There's a difference between two people yell attack names in a fighting game and four people yelling attack names in an RPG while also having in battle dialogue sometimes playing over it. Makes everything just sound loud. Tales has always had this "issue", you just get used to it.

Oct 26, 2017
It really does suck that you can only choose 3 ground moves and 3 aerial moves.

That's way too little.

Honestly I thought Graces solved this with all of your artes being set so you have access to all of them.

As it is now if I use any character who casts spells I have to use precious slots on them or be forced to open the menu every time I want to use one.

And yeah I know that there's an Artes ball that gives you 3 more ground and 3 more aerial moves.

It's still way too little imo.

Seri

Oct 30, 2017
I don't really get this combat system. Attacks do next to nothing, you have infinite of <whatever the resource is called this game>, you can't really chain artes together for a combo (except for holding down a button, but we'll get to that here ->) and using artes leaves you completely open for like up to 10 seconds because a) you're locked into the animation and b) attacks don't seem to stagger the enemy (read: bosses). What the fuck have they done to Tales? This plays like a generic budget action JRPG.

we...did not play the same game demo i feel like lol

AquaWateria

Oct 25, 2017
Playing the demo more, there's some odd decisions they've made with some of these artes and its something thats been an issue in the series before. For example, Law has two neutral element arts that launch enemies into the air. It just causes confusion when they do the exact same thing. I can understand the similar but different element artes since you can build for that specifically with weapons and accessories but they really should cut down on the amount of artes like that.

Also I've never felt less control of my party in a Tales game but maybe its just a demo thing. I also played a lot of Tales games in co-op so that probably adds to the feeling.

I did like how Law and Dohalim can do traditional juggling although the latter's magic artes are really bad for the time they take to cast.

Shionne feels terrible to play as and a lot of her attacks can whiff.

I'm still getting a feel for each character but I think I'm going to wait to see general public reception of the full game before buying. The demo basically changed this from a maybe day one to a wait and see for me.

I chalk up to the demo locking a lot of the artes which makes some characters feel a bit incomplete. I'm willing to bet that characters like Dohalim will feel a lot better to use once it opens up.

Also, stuff like air evasion not being in the demo (will be in the full game) hurts characters aerial game.

tjlee2

Oct 27, 2017
After fiddling with it some more, I definitely share that 3 artes, and even if expanded to 6 at some point in the game, is too few for some characters. I think for someone like Rinwell that has spells that cost 3 AG, 8 AG feels like a pretty good number. She can also path from lower level spells to higher level ones, so there is benefit to doing it both ways (low cost/flexibility vs quick access). However, for non-spells, there doesn't currently seem to be a similar system, and when artes cost 1 AG, I can see why it would quickly feel like it turns into a spam-fest, especially since AG recovery in the demo is fairly rapid.

There are many ways they can work around this, such as some kind of combo pathing thing that hasn't been shown (like Abyss, where artes were given tiers), or simply balance around cost vs attack duration/utility. But within the demo itself, it felt somewhat limiting. I think this issue is the worst for spell casters. 3 or 6 isn't enough for Shionne that has 3 variations of bombs, gun, and likely offensive spells, for example (you most likely won't slot healing spells, and Berseria fixed this issue with allowing 4 separate non-pathing hot key assignments, which I hope they do here as well.).

Having two buttons taken away by jump and regular attack really limits the button availability for other stuff. Hopefully the game is built around those two buttons serving meaningful purposes. At least the hitboxes in this game is surprisingly good, so jumping over certain attacks is absolutely an option.

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
After fiddling with it some more, I definitely share that 3 artes, and even if expanded to 6 at some point in the game, is too few for some characters. I think for someone like Rinwell that has spells that cost 3 AG, 8 AG feels like a pretty good number. She can also path from lower level spells to higher level ones, so there is benefit to doing it both ways (low cost/flexibility vs quick access). However, for non-spells, there doesn't currently seem to be a similar system, and when artes cost 1 AG, I can see why it would quickly feel like it turns into a spam-fest, especially since AG recovery in the demo is fairly rapid.

There are many ways they can work around this, such as some kind of combo pathing thing that hasn't been shown (like Abyss, where artes were given tiers), or simply balance around cost vs attack duration/utility. But within the demo itself, it felt somewhat limiting. I think this issue is the worst for spell casters. 3 or 6 isn't enough for Shionne that has 3 variations of bombs, gun, and likely offensive spells, for example (you most likely won't slot healing spells, and Berseria fixed this issue with allowing 4 separate non-pathing hot key assignments, which I hope they do here as well.).

Having two buttons taken away by jump and regular attack really limits the button availability for other stuff. Hopefully the game is built around those two buttons serving meaningful purposes. At least the hitboxes in this game is surprisingly good, so jumping over certain attacks is absolutely an option.
I think they want to funnel players into choosing 1 element per character and building around that for certain areas/bosses.

EssBeeVee

Oct 25, 2017
since Scarlet nexus demo finally hit pc after like 2 months. wonder if that's the case for this.

i just want to see how it feels on the pc because im debating to get it on ps5 or pc.

tjlee2

Oct 27, 2017
I think they want to funnel players into choosing 1 element per character and building around that for certain areas/bosses.

I don't think that's inherently bad but there is definitely an issue with button availability, so hopefully they have other mechanics that provide options in a roundabout way.

DanSensei

Nov 15, 2017
Trying the demo. Not a fan of the battle system out the fact that they got rid of the screen after battles. And why aren't events voiced? This better just be for the demo.

I was kinda hoping the game would suck since this isn't on Switch, and Tales was the only thing that would probably sell me a ps5 in the future (I mean when they stop making ps4 games,) and at this point it looks like Namco's doing my bank account a favor on that front.

HorseFD

Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne
Never really played a Tales Of game before, but the demo is giving me Xenoblade 2 vibes, so I guess that means I'm going to buy it.

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Haven't put more than a couple minutes into the demo, so I wanted to ask: can you save your progress at all, or does the demo have to be done all in one go?

If it's the latter, about how long does it take to finish, give or take? The game mentions that you get a different ending with whoever you select as the main character, so I just want to know how much time to set aside.

tiesto

Oct 27, 2017
Long Island, NY
I liked the demo, the graphics are absolutely stunning and the battle system seems a bit less chaotic than Berseria and Graces (those were the last 2 Tales games I played and I didn't like the battle systems in those)... I'm hoping the game isn't nearly as driven by all sorts of crazy 'systems' and needless complexity like in those games, and less button-mashy.

Hoping the story and characters are interesting, and the world design keeps to the gorgeousness of the demo... the varied environments and personable characters are usually what I love about Tales. And I also hope the game does not overstay its welcome, since that's something the series seems to have a problem with (I loved Berseria at first but fell off towards the end a bit, and the less said about the final and postgame dungeons, the better)

scarlet

Oct 25, 2017
Really wanna play this game on day one, but knowing tales and their missables make me wanna wait.

Oct 30, 2017
I liked the demo, the graphics are absolutely stunning and the battle system seems a bit less chaotic than Berseria and Graces (those were the last 2 Tales games I played and I didn't like the battle systems in those)... I'm hoping the game isn't nearly as driven by all sorts of crazy 'systems' and needless complexity like in those games, and less button-mashy.

Hoping the story and characters are interesting, and the world design keeps to the gorgeousness of the demo... the varied environments and personable characters are usually what I love about Tales. And I also hope the game does not overstay its welcome, since that's something the series seems to have a problem with (I loved Berseria at first but fell off towards the end a bit, and the less said about the final and postgame dungeons, the better)

so I've played every game and completed almost all of them. Graces f has the best combat IMO out of the entire series. Tales of Arise didn't click with me. I will play day 1 but I hope I can change my mind.

Valkerion

Oct 29, 2017
Haven't put more than a couple minutes into the demo, so I wanted to ask: can you save your progress at all, or does the demo have to be done all in one go?

If it's the latter, about how long does it take to finish, give or take? The game mentions that you get a different ending with whoever you select as the main character, so I just want to know how much time to set aside.

Its a one shot affair. Took about an hour the first time I played it exploring everything. Subsequent playthroughs maybe 15 minutes if you just blast to the boss. The ending isn't an ending, its just a preview trailer for the character and their partner you choose at the start.

Dezzy

Oct 25, 2017
USA
I've never enjoyed the combat in a Tales game, and this one doesn't change that. Thankfully Arise has an easy mode with no negatives, so I can still enjoy the rest of the game.

Other games reduced EXP on easier difficulties which never made any sense to me.

tiesto

Oct 27, 2017
Long Island, NY
Really wanna play this game on day one, but knowing tales and their missables make me wanna wait.

I felt Berseria was a lot better at identifying missables than the other Tales games... you know, the ones where if you don't sleep at this out-of-the-way inn no where near your current destination in this 10 minute window between scenario triggers, you miss a costume and backstory.

I'm playing through this right now. So far my only experience with Tales have been Berseria and Zestiria.

I'm near the end so I figured I would check a sidequest guide.

*reads*

"Hmm. Looks I missed out on half of the game. Yup."
I always warn people to have a sidequest guide handy when playing one of the Team Symphonia games (Symphonia/Abyss/Vesperia). It's too late for you, but I'ts better to get that stuff taken care of in a first playthrough rather than in NG + with grade transfers.

Kroz

Jul 4, 2019
Wondering what difficulty I should do on my first playthrough.

I usually go with a higher difficulty because they give you bonus exp and other benefits. However I might just have a nice playthrough on normal.

Going higher difficulty doesn't usually impact my enjoyment too bad but the last time I did that was Zestiria... Which most should know is just terrible as is, let alone making it harder.

Manu

Oct 27, 2017
Buenos Aires, Argentina
I always warn people to have a sidequest guide handy when playing one of the Team Symphonia games (Symphonia/Abyss/Vesperia). It's too late for you, but I'ts better to get that stuff taken care of in a first playthrough rather than in NG + with grade transfers.
Yep definitely a lesson if I decide to play the earlier games too. I remember I did most of the side content in the PS4 games with no issue, just ran into it naturally.

Which of the PS3 games are worth playing?