• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
NAMCO seems to be releasing these weekly now. It's a mix of some background details on the characters, and how their combat works

www.youtube.com

Tales of Arise - Kisara - Character Introduction

Here's Captain Kisara of the Elde Menancia Guard! A strong Dahnan woman who has mastered shield attacks and defense techniques like no one else. She's a bril...

www.youtube.com

Tales of Arise - Dohalim - Character Introduction

Dohalim is a noble Renan who takes on his enemies in style.Striking with a flourish, Dohalim casts astral artes against his foes. This refined and cultivated...

Last edited:

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for opening a thread for these. :)
They look pretty awesome so far. I'm pretty excited for Tales of Arise. It'll be my first Tales of Game after Vesperia, the original on Xbox 360.

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
I love the look the cast except for the two leads. They not the worst, but they're just not that great. Something about their designs and outfits just feel overdone and excessive. Thankfully Tales always has a shit ton of costumes and accessories. The rest of the party looks pretty sweet though.

alpha

Oct 25, 2017
Alphen's helmet looks cool with the rest of his actual outfit IMO. Just looks dumb before he gets the full armor.

Panam

This guy are sick of Unshakable Resolve
Feb 3, 2021
I only hear Noctis, doesn't fit the character at all. He was better as Artorius.

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Aww...I just thought a new trailer might've dropped since the thread was bumped.

datschge

Oct 25, 2017

Hirokazu Kagawa first was battle programmer alongside Tatsuro Udo on Destiny PS2, and replaced him in Graces. Aside that and Berseria he also did Zestiria, and was one of three battle programming supports on Xillia. His role is mentioned as director, so somebody else likely did the programming.

This rise in rank is pretty notable since Udo's other assistant battle programmer, Yoshimasa Tanaka (who worked on Destiny 2, Rebirth and Destiny PS2), already served as director on Zestiria (assistant) and Berseria (lead).

Last edited:

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I love the way this looks. Beautiful character designs and instead of an anime look they are going more for a manga illustration look. Everything seems to be painted with water colors. It has a really warm feel to it.

Manta_Breh

May 16, 2018
The graphics/presentation looks like a legit generational leap from Berseria .... I tried out Berseria for the first time a few days ago (my first tales game) and it looked super dated on the PS4.

I also hope there's a much better tutorial or some kind of better accessbility to new comers (sorry old fans) ... But I personally found the combat to be super complicated, but at the same time it felt super button-mashey if that makes sense. I dont know how to explain it better .... It seems like there's a ton of depth especially if you play at higher difficulties, but on normal if felt like a button mash and I felt like the game didnt really do a good job in explaining everything to me within the in-game tutorials.

Definitely keeping an eye on this.

Helix

Mayor of Clown Town
Jun 8, 2019
September.......come sooner please 🥺

This game just shot up as one of my most anticipated games of the year with their recent showings. hopefully we get a demo soon so that I can really get a feel for all these new changes. it's been awhile since I played a tales game and it will be good to be back.

Last edited:

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
It's a bit disappointing that they are still one generation in delay. ;)
A lot of tittles like these are usually a gen behind in tech. Atlas has the same problem with Persona.

It's primarily cause they take so long to come out, and only after they are out do the think about upgrading their engine/pipeline/toolset etc. Which means by the time they move to full production on the next game the tech is likely already dated. A way to get around this would be to have parallel development/upgrade of engine which is basically what modern development methodology is, but obviously that costs money for large projects like these and most of these tittles do not have that much money when compared to AAA games. Though it should get better with them using Unreal Engine now, allowing seamless transition to UE5.

That said part of it is also due to timing. A game like this was never gonna be current gen and release in 2020, maybe the next Tales game in 3-4 years will be the one to be current gen.

Last edited:

Tsuyu

Oct 25, 2017
Everything I've seen from this tales entry entice me to preorder the game. Characters look good, next evolution of Tales production wise.

Jakenbakin

"This guy are sick"
Jun 17, 2018
The graphics/presentation looks like a legit generational leap from Berseria .... I tried out Berseria for the first time a few days ago (my first tales game) and it looked super dated on the PS4.

I also hope there's a much better tutorial or some kind of better accessbility to new comers (sorry old fans) ... But I personally found the combat to be super complicated, but at the same time it felt super button-mashey if that makes sense. I dont know how to explain it better .... It seems like there's a ton of depth especially if you play at higher difficulties, but on normal if felt like a button mash and I felt like the game didnt really do a good job in explaining everything to me within the in-game tutorials.

Definitely keeping an eye on this.
God the tutorials for Berseria were shit. I remember the first time I looked at the skill menu and was like "okay... give me a tutorial. Please?" I beat the entire game with almost one set of elemental neutral combos on one button, then using the therionizing attacks you get throughout the game. I had elemental combos mapped to the other buttons but almost never used them, almost never used the switching mechanic, almost never played as any other characters, etc. because I had no idea how any of it was supposed to work. (The game was still exceptionally easy despite my lack of experimentation, even on hard difficulty).

Kschreck

Oct 27, 2017
Pennsylvania
Never played a Tales game and don't have much experience with the JRPG genre but discovered DQ11 and loved it. Hoping I'll be able to get into this game as well.

PAFenix

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 21, 2019
God the tutorials for Berseria were shit. I remember the first time I looked at the skill menu and was like "okay... give me a tutorial. Please?" I beat the entire game with almost one set of elemental neutral combos on one button, then using the therionizing attacks you get throughout the game. I had elemental combos mapped to the other buttons but almost never used them, almost never used the switching mechanic, almost never played as any other characters, etc. because I had no idea how any of it was supposed to work. (The game was still exceptionally easy despite my lack of experimentation, even on hard difficulty).

I think this was why that, despite loving Berseria exponentially over Zestiria, I got bored with it near the end. Since I didn't really know how to do anything, I just kinda button mashed until the end and just brute forced my way through.

Jakenbakin

"This guy are sick"
Jun 17, 2018
I think this was why that, despite loving Berseria exponentially over Zestiria, I got bored with it near the end. Since I didn't really know how to do anything, I just kinda button mashed until the end and just brute forced my way through.
It was just engaging enough for me to have fun with it but I knew I was missing out on having as much fun as I could. What I found interesting was in a 60 hour playthrough I spent 11 hours in menus (thank you awful equipment system) but only 5 hours in battle. I can't complain too much about the battle system when I spent so little time in it and ignored so many options, but there just felt like so much potential for more if the game had been designed to ease you into it, teach you the skills, and balance it so that you could still move through it briskly.

I bought Zestiria the other day because I ultimately loved Berseria despite all its problems. I know it isn't well regarded by any means though so I may wait until some time after Arise before trying it lol...