• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

RatskyWatsky

Are we human or are we dancer?
Oct 25, 2017

Trailer

Inspired by the wondrous paintings of Simon Stålenhag, Tales from the Loop explores the mind-bending adventures of the people who live above the Loop, a machine built to unlock and explore the mysteries of the universe - making things previous relegated to science fiction, possible.

Reviews

CBR said:
It's deliberately paced with a tinkling, repetitive piano score that telegraphs its seriousness of purpose. Ultimately, all that serves to help the show get under your skin. The series is mesmerizing in its consideration of universal human experiences, and often deeply emotional because of it.

Tales From the Loop presents a kaleidoscopic, thought-provoking examination of humanity within a single small town. While sci-fi mysteries abound, what really sticks are the movingly relatable stories of the people who live in the town where those sci-fi mysteries are merely a fact of life. The series invites viewers to live with those mysteries too. While it offers few concrete answers about the Loop and the odd events it causes, fantastic revelations isn't really the point of the show. Tales From the Loop is a unique series that peels back the layers of its compelling characters to make sometimes profound, sometimes mundane observations about people. That makes it hard to quickly sum up the series in words, but makes the experience of watching it rich and rewarding.

Den of Geek said:
Is Tales of the Loop for everyone? No. Fans of hard science fiction will want to get at the mysteries of the Loop far quicker than the pacing of the series allows. However, Halpern's writing is filled with literary nuance from the symbolism of a leaky roof to the implications about motherhood that arise from a visit from the past. It's a quiet and unique exploration of life in a small town affected by singular circumstances in the tradition of Edgar Lee Masters' Spoon River Anthology and a brilliant homage to the Stålenhag paintings.

TV Guide said:
The science fiction elements throughout the series [...] serve as means to dramatic ends. It's unclear from this sampling [of episodes] if the series will spend much time exploring the origins and functions of the Loop, but these episodes suggest there's no real reason to do so. Like Stålenhag's art, they work in part because they keep their mysteries to themselves and suggest more than they reveal. The design occasionally recalls the look of Lost, but the stories work without any obligation to reveal an underlying mythos or the drive to uncover secrets. Tales from the Loop's ultimately less interested in how its strange universe works than what it's like to live within it — and the ways that universe can reflect our own lives back to us.

SlashFilm said:
The universal elements of grief, aging, parenthood, loneliness, and love are all explored in the series, given a fresh coat of paint thanks to the show's striking retrofuturistic conceit. Stålenhag's aesthetic of pastoral Swedish landscapes with an eerie sci-fi element is dutifully paid homage to by Tales From The Loop, which looks more beautiful than most other sci-fi series out there, simply by virtue of not flaunting it style. The series manages to capture that uncanny feeling of Stålenhag's paintings by showing a perfectly idyllic scene, and making something a little off — a dead robot hidden in the grass, or the oppressive gray color scheme that coats so many moments. Through those detailed little touches, the series manages to evoke that dreadful loneliness of his paintings.

The show's retrofuturistic stylings — characterized by a mid-century look coupled with a sleek 1960s vision of a technologically advanced future — is actually quite subdued, leaving the machines and sad-eyed robots to linger in the background. It's an approach that works to highlight the character drama of the series. But this restrained approach often leads to dull stretches of…nothingness. At the show's best, it reaches a sense of soulful quietude that opens your eyes to a new, unexplored aspect of humanity. But at its worst, the show's slavish dedication to its aesthetic threatens to swallow up the entire thing. Halpern, who is best known as a writer on Legion, has that same flair for style that characterized the FX series. But the series often toes the line between beguiling and boring, through it shows enough flashes of brilliance to keep you hooked.

Last edited:

UnluckyKate

Oct 25, 2017
I super curious about this. Love the originals art and story telling but I'm nostalgic of my youth spent in sweden in the 90.

Not sure transposing to the US will capture the same nostalgia and sens of wonder

Pikalas Cage

Oct 28, 2017
Been very much looking forward to this. I have some Simon Stalenhag prints on the wall, always wondered what it would be like as a movie or TV show.

Noodle

Banned
Aug 22, 2018
Will watch but I'm hoping "serene and thoughtful" is not just cover for "not much happens".

Maybe it is my brain," I thought, 20 minutes into episode one of Tales from the Loop (from Friday, Amazon Prime Video), a point at which absolutely nothing had happened. "Maybe my brain is ruined from years of endorphin-rush Instagram notifications and YouTube videos, or whatever, and maybe I am the problem, and I can't focus on something slow-moving any more. Hey: maybe I'm just thick." Then 20 more minutes passed without anything happening. There were 20 more minutes to go. Nothing happened. I tried another episode. Long story short: my brain is not the problem.

That is the exact sort of TV show I want to watch, like it was made in a lab, especially for me. But nothing happens. Nothing happens!

Loop is very beautiful, but that's where the praise ends. Fundamentally, I consider it rude to take an hour of someone's life and only tell seven to nine minutes of story across it.

www.theguardian.com

Tales from the Loop: a beautiful, nostalgic series in which nothing happens

On paper, this retro sci-fi set in an eerie town should be like crack. Shame they forgot to include any plot

mbpm

Oct 25, 2017
Those images are definitely selling me.

Trailer reminds me of Kentucky Route Zero a little

IMACOMPUTA

Oct 27, 2017
That Generation Zero game's art borrowed heavily from this.

I've actually been playing the table top RPG with some friends and the setting is really cool.

OP
OP
RatskyWatsky

RatskyWatsky

Oct 25, 2017
The Hollywood Reporter said:
Emotional and well made, but not for those who need answers.

Vanity Fair said:
It may resemble Stranger Things at first blush, but Tales From the Loop is maybe a little more like Twin Peaks: The Return. Which isn't to say the new Jonathan Pryce and Rebecca Hall–led series from Amazon, premiering April 3, is quite as experimental as David Lynch's confounding masterpiece—but it is definitely the "I don't quite exactly understand what is happening, but I am going to keep watching" show of the season.

Slant said:
Tales from the Loop recalls the spirit of the films of executive producer Matt Reeves, especially Let Me In, which could serve as the title of this series as well. Both productions imbue familiar genre tropes with restlessness, with a wandering sense of irresolution. The landscapes of Tales from the Loop are beautiful but somehow unwelcoming in their sense of lonely sparseness—echoing the imagery of the source material, Simon Stålenhag's illustrated book of the same name—while Philip Glass and Paul Leonard-Morgan's score practically subsumes the series in longing. For Tales from the Loop, the mysteries of the universe play second fiddle to the perils of giving up, of resigning oneself to solitary nights in a town that suggests a perpetual past.

Qvoth

Oct 26, 2017
is this an anthology series? the title makes it sound like one and i don't care about anthology stuff

Ojli

Chicken Chaser
Oct 28, 2017
Sweden
I don't feel the same magic looking at the trailer as when I look at the original artwork. This might be because I'm from Sweden and there is something about the mix of swedish culture/architecture/society with robots that's very cool.

OP
OP
RatskyWatsky

RatskyWatsky

Oct 25, 2017
Slant said:
The series is a character study in which wounded introverts wrestle with their inability to connect with others.

AV Club said:
We're told that the Loop was created with the intention of exploring and answering life's greatest questions. Tales From The Loop understands that the answers to these questions don't necessarily fit into the shape of words, but are revealed simply through the act of living itself. It's an uncommonly rich series, one with a tremendous amount of heart, and one that, if you're willing to accept it, might even touch your own.

Deleted member 42055

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 12, 2018
Reading those two review excerpts, Ok yea I'm in now. Oh dang idk why I thought they were going to be a half hour instead of 50min+ each , nice

Wracu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ep 2 already going Black Mirror on us.

Last edited:
OP
OP
RatskyWatsky

RatskyWatsky

Oct 25, 2017
Episode 1 was pretty neat, but I have a question

So the girl went back to her own time, but her mom was still gone and so was her house so like what happened after that? Who raised her?

BTW I loved that shot of the robot looking at the girl after she stopped the boy from throwing rocks at it :3

ArkkAngel007

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Didn't realize it would be up this week. Just caught up with The Expanse the other night, so this will keep scratching that Sci-Fi itch.

Deleted member 46948

Account closed at user request
Banned
Aug 22, 2018
Huh, okay, this looks interesting.
Is it an anthology like Black Mirror? Or is there a linear plot throughout the season?

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
If anyone who has seen it yet can let me know if it's ok for a 12 year old to watch, I'd appreciate it.

Nappuccino

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'm curious. Desperately hopeful that the mystery not in line with Dark, which I found deeply obvious and uninteresting. (This is no slight against those who enjoy Dark . . . it just wasn't for me at all).

Oct 28, 2017
I'm curious. Desperately hopeful that the mystery not in line with Dark, which I found deeply obvious and uninteresting. (This is no slight against those who enjoy Dark . . . it just wasn't for me at all).

There's not much mystery here. Just odd stuff around the periphery that I don't think the story tellers are interested in explaining.

I'm 3 episodes in and this is super meh and middling.

19thCenturyFox

Prophet of Regret
Oct 29, 2017
Just finished the series and I thought it was incredible. How anyone could thing that nothing happens in this series, even or especially in the first episode is beyond me.

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
No wonder this show looks so good when they got Ole Bratt Birkeland for cinematography (Utopia, American Animals).

Holy shit at the 2nd episode, that was heart-wrenching! Thought it would be a more light-hearted typical body swap diversion from the time loop sombre first episode, but then the refusal happens and then the ending!!!
OkI2DOZeKW1I3Ul6hns4b2vTWijbK7NjtVJ_M1Smw2WJXvXOd6WZ6mwPSg5Puyob4TeQ2CSZrw2Eish47KYw3lMGyw9p

Biske

Nov 11, 2017
I watched 3 episodes of this on Amazon preview a while ago and fucking loved it. Super excited to watch it in its finished form

dsosarod

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Jesus H Christ! I literally can't express how much I loved the series. I will be ok if they don't make a second season, and being realistic here, I'm not sure that many people will watch it, not enough for Amazon to commit to make another one, but I am so happy that this season exist. Love every single thing about it and will try to make some of my friends to watch it, at least the one that I think will appreciate.

panama chief

Oct 27, 2017
It was a nice series. But a lot of "just because " is going on here. No rhyme or reason. I enjoyed it and think the visuals and audio hit the keys they were aiming for.

deadmonkeyuk

Oct 27, 2017
Highlands, Scotland
Holy shit episode 2!

🤔

😮

😥

That means the boy throwing the stones is..... 😳😢

Jesus H Christ! I literally can't express how much I loved the series. I will be ok if they don't make a second season, and being realistic here, I'm not sure that many people will watch it, not enough for Amazon to commit to make another one, but I am so happy that this season exist. Love every single thing about it and will try to make some of my friends to watch it, at least the one that I think will appreciate.

Not finished the series yet, but feel similar. I just cannot see this getting a big enough audience to justify a second series. Even my friends who are into scfi have not been talking about this.

I find myself thinking about the eps long after I have finished watching them. The score is one of the most haunting things I have heard.

RE lover

Nov 5, 2017
This is my kind of show. Sci-fi background, emotional stories, beautiful music...

Episodes 2 and 6 were my favourites

Lucky Forward

Oct 27, 2017
Do all the episodes have the same somber, melancholy tone that the first ep did? I mean, it seems like a great show but it's just not what I'm in the mood for lately.

dsosarod

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
That means the boy throwing the stones is..... 😳😢

Not finished the series yet, but feel similar. I just cannot see this getting a big enough audience to justify a second series. Even my friends who are into scfi have not been talking about this.

I find myself thinking about the eps long after I have finished watching them. The score is one of the most haunting things I have heard.

I have to be realistic and enjoy the whole season as a one time thing and that's it. In my opinion it ends in a way that if you don't get more, there is no problem.

Who?

Do all the episodes have the same somber, melancholy tone that the first ep did? I mean, it seems like a great show but it's just not what I'm in the mood for lately.

I would say that all the episodes have a lot of melancholy and a bit of somber in them, but in my case that was one of the things that made me fall in love with it, I was not expecting it!

You can wait some days and continue it, the second episode it ends in a Black Mirror kind of way.

Browser

Apr 13, 2019
Watched it all and like most series, some episodes worked better than others. 1, 2,4 and 8 were equally incredible to me, followed by 3 , 5 and 6. The ones that blend sci fi with personal dramas worked the best, I love how loose with explanations this is, it is irrelevant for the stories it tells.

Its the closest to Black Mirror for me so far in terms of making you think for days after some episodes. Hope it gets more audience so we can have a season 2.

DarkChronic

Oct 27, 2017
Finally going to dig into this tonight! Really excited to finally watch - glad to hear initial impressions are really good!

Mar 29, 2018
Really liking this so far. A couple of episodes are maybe a little underbaked or needed a little more energy, but on the whole does very well at telling super heartfelt sci fi stories. Some real gut punches and tragedy in here, with cool sci fi twists.

is this an anthology series? the title makes it sound like one and i don't care about anthology stuff
Don't think so, as it's focused on one location. Even if a future series focuses on other characters, it'll still be the same location and I'm sure older characters will show up repeatedly. This season appears to be 2-3 "families" and the different struggles they have with life at the Loop.

Dennis8K

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wow, had no idea this was coming.

Love the paintings of Simon Stålenhag so I am going to have to give this a chance.