• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

zero_suit

Oct 27, 2017

Deleted member 5853

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
AG Cook.

Apple is the worst album of 2020, and the fact he veered from brilliance like "Beautiful" to this awful singer-songwriter nonsense is awful.

Before:

after:

darz1

Dec 18, 2017
Will.i.am is insanely talented both as a rapper and a producer but he has been making light hip-hop pop music for so long to people do not realise how talented he is

darz1

Dec 18, 2017
Came here to post this.
He's had some flashes of brilliance since Illmatic, but Nas hasn't been nasty since 1995.
You buggin. Nas has one of the strongest careers in hip hop and is one of the only hip hop artists performing at his level to actually make innovative and non generic rap music. Add to that, just last year put out one of the best hip hop albums of 2020

msdstc

Nov 6, 2017
I think rivers cuomo fits the bill here. He's an absolute virtuoso on the guitar and he's a brilliant songwriter at least imo, but ever since his total collapse after pinkerton he's completely let go of that and churned out safe crappy pop music. I know people say he's put out better stuff recently I just disagree, 99% of anything past pinkerton is trash.

Pyccko

Oct 25, 2017
Whenever Wes Borland is a sideman he's really good. His stuff with Queen Kwong is fantastic and say what you will about the band, but his playing in Limp Bizkit was the highlight of that organization's existence. But when he tried to be a frontman he just really couldn't cut it. Black Light Burns is pretty tragic to listen to. I have a soft spot for BigdumbFace just because it's so astronomically insane that that record was put out by a major label. But it's not very good.

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
frank-zappa.jpg

frank zappa thread

The Awesomest

Mar 3, 2018
Pop stuff such as Ariana Grande, Gaga, Swift, Bieber etc is neither good nor talented, such garbage music although popular sadly EDIT: and I have no desire to debate this point in particular with its fans (that's why I don't quote anyone) , want to talk interesting music? Feel free to @me .

I'm not a fan of Gaga's music. Can you explain you reasoning behind how a classically-trained, conservatory-educated musician who puts out jazz and country albums when she gets bored of the pop stuff is not talented? I have no emotional attachment to any of her music and am genuinely curious how you reached this conclusion.

Speaking of interesting music, have you heard her collaboration with Tony Bennett? I think it's quite good. All the old jazz heads I work with love it. I think even Mr. Bennett himself was singing her praises.

collige

Oct 31, 2017
Skrillex. The Jack U stuff was okay, but I find the aesthetic of his solo work pretty tasteless most of the time.

I think rivers cuomo fits the bill here. He's an absolute virtuoso on the guitar and he's a brilliant songwriter at least imo, but ever since his total collapse after pinkerton he's completely let go of that and churned out safe crappy pop music. I know people say he's put out better stuff recently I just disagree, 99% of anything past pinkerton is trash.
Agreed for the most part, but that Van Weezer music I've heard sounds pretty promising and the 80's hard rock vibe seems pretty in line with what Cuomo likes nowadays.

This is my first time hearing this and I have so many feelings. Once it picks up it's kind of a bop, but the production doesn't sound like PC Music. It's like he was trying to sound overproduced and minimal at the same time, but instead it just sounds kinda cheap.

msdstc

Nov 6, 2017
Skrillex. The Jack U stuff was okay, but I find the aesthetic of his solo work pretty tasteless most of the time.

Agreed for the most part, but that Van Weezer music I've heard sounds pretty promising and the 80's hard rock vibe seems pretty in line with what Cuomo likes nowadays.

This is my first time hearing this and I have so many feelings. Once it picks up it's kind of a bop, but the production doesn't sound like PC Music. It's like he was trying to sound overproduced and minimal at the same time, but instead it just sounds kinda cheap.

I've heard that line over and over in that this stuff sounds promising. I do know deep down rivers is a metal head, but blue album and pinkerton are so legit that you know he has magic in there. The good news is, rivers is happy or at least is seemingly happy. He was a total mental wreck after and during pinkerton. His whole mindset and persona changed and he's really embraced trying to be a "rock star" or a hit maker. When I first heard pork n beans I legitimately thought it was a satire about selling out to move albums, turns out he was being dead serious. He talked in the past about the green album essentially relaunching weezer where he put together the perfect formula for a pop song that will be popular. The entire green album was short super poppy songs, with the verse/chorus/verse/solo that just is the melody of the verse/chorus formula. He never got back to making that raw emotional heartfelt music. I can tell he's tried to do that on a few songs and a few have hit for me,but for the most part it's like current rivers trying to imitate early 90s rivers. It's a shame because I really think he was an absolutely brilliant songwriter.

Cantaim

Oct 25, 2017
The Stussining
Came into this thread thinking it was about people with talent who make shitty music. Not talented musicians who make shitty music. In the spirit of my assumption I would like to put forth Randy Savage. While most people know him as a wrestler and as the guy Peter fought in the wrestling in the first Sam Rami Spider-Man movie. In 2003 he put out a rap album. It was an interesting experience to say the least.

Elija2

Oct 26, 2017
It's not even that he stopped writing good music, it's that for whatever reason the good stuff rarely made it onto their albums. Rivers recently released hundreds of demos spanning most of his career on his website and going through them it's pretty obvious that almost every post-Pinkerton album could have been a lot better if he just selected the right tracks.

Village

Oct 25, 2017
Came into this thread thinking it was about people with talent who make shitty music. Not talented musicians who make shitty music. In the spirit of my assumption I would like to put forth Randy Savage. While most people know him as a wrestler and as the guy Peter fought in the wrestling in the first Sam Rami Spider-Man movie. In 2003 he put out a rap album. It was an interesting experience to say the least.

What is this exzibit shit

Kapryov

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
John Frusciante making weird drum machine music while he was away from rhcp. Some of it was interesting but most of it.. I didn't know what to make of it.
I wasn't sure how to respond to the thread premise, but I kinda have to agree with this. Specifically post-2009.

I actually love Frusciante's solo stuff much MUCH more than RHCP. But that's his output up to 2009, after this he veered off in a different (electronic) direction and it just doesn't do it for me. But hey, I'm sure somebody likes it, and he likes doing it, so more power to him.

He already gave me Inside of Emptiness, he can do what he wants now.

AIan

Oct 20, 2019
I think Rebecca Black is a great example of this. Ark did a TERRIBLE job at editing her music and voice in Friday, so I felt so sorry for Rebecca Black. There really was no reason her song should've been as much of a standout to the world than other mediocre songs are also. She's shown her true voice in some of her newer songs but I still think she tries to make them super pop-y and electronic.

Cyberclops

Mar 15, 2019
I feel like if Nickelback went full metal, they would be a much better band. The generic rock they put out is so boring, and I feel like Chad kroeger has a really good voice that would lend well to heavy metal.

I maintain that Feed the Machine has 5 absolute bangers on it. They're still poppy and the lyrics are cheesy as hell, but the heavier sound really makes them enjoyable.

The Betrayal (Act III) is my favourite.

John Rabbit

Oct 25, 2017
Daft Punk. They used to be a edm group but sold out.
Pre-RAM Daft Punk's catalog was intensely sample-based House/Disco bordering on plunderphonics. Not that the music isn't good, or that plunderphonics doesn't have artistic merit, but a lot of the appeal from their first 3 albums and ephemera directly stems from the samples themselves and not from the particular way in which they are used. i.e. - It's music they didn't create, write, or perform themselves.

Random Access Memories, while not the same as their previous work, or what everyone wanted, is undeniably a well-produced, well-executed piece of disco/funk rock. Daft Punk upgraded sampling existing music and instead worked with musicians (many of whom they'd previously sampled) playing actual instruments to create their own memorable hooks/melodies/etc for the album.

So I'm curious as to how them stepping up their game in terms of sourcing samples vs. composing music results in 'shitty music' when you could more easily argue their early work is 'shitty' because it's overwhelmingly made of music they didn't create themselves.

It certainly isn't "selling out" whatsoever.

Deleted member 5853

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Absolutely hate his record, because AG can't fucking sing. Yes, that same statement can be applied to most of the PC Music roster/affiliates, but damn man, at least they use Autotune, vocoders, and all sorts of vocal effects to hide it. AG is playing it straight, and its just grating especially since the accompaniment is the college freshman who uses their acoustic guitar as a substitute for their personality.

softfocus

Oct 30, 2017
George Harrison... Post All Things Must Pass he just kinda gave up, I think. A very vital part of the Beatles but his solo stuff was on a whole very meh.
Modern Pixies. What the fuck happened to this band? I get Kim Deal left but Frank Black is still there and Kim was getting shafted after Dolittle anyway. Their comeback albums have been terrible and I don't even think they're that good live anymore. Sorry, in just venting at how disappointed I am in them. Go listen to The Breeders.

GameAddict411

Oct 26, 2017
Coldplay. If you listen to their old albums, they made some good music. But then it went downhill so hard toward the late 00s.

Last edited:

TolerLive

Senior Lighting Artist
Verified
Nov 15, 2017
Redmond, WA
Noel Gallagher. He wrote some absolute bangers for Oasis. But his solo albums generally have 1 or 2 great songs and the rest are forgettable.

SABO.

Nov 6, 2017
MGMT is pretty good case study of why talented artists make shitty music.

"When we wrote Time to Pretend, we were totally taking the piss out of the rock star thing. And all of a sudden that song was, like, a single, and we had to play it every day for … two … years." He laughs ruefully, then corrects himself, perhaps for the benefit of the million people who went out and bought MGMT's debut album Oracular Spectacular, stupid songs and all. "I'm not saying that Kids and Time to Pretend are stupid songs, but I think there's at least partial irony and sarcasm.

www.theguardian.com

MGMT: 'We got a glimpse of fame and shrunk back'

From college pranksters to indie-disco stars – and back again? But if MGMT's new album really is commercial suicide, it's unintentional, they tell Alexis Petridis

Oct 28, 2017
A lot of people around here need to understand that not liking a musician does not mean that the musician is untalented.

You don't like the music? That's fine.

They play and sing perfectly? They are talented.