• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

MBS

Oct 25, 2017
TTWO stock plunged almost 10% in the after-hours market, after company's latest Q3 earnings call:

The company reported net bookings, an adjusted-revenue metric, of $888.2 million, while analysts had called for bookings of $920 million. Analysts on average expected earnings of $1.33 a share on total revenue of $932 million. For the fiscal fourth quarter, Take-Two predicted earnings of 92 cents to $1.12 a share on revenue of $635 million to $685 million, while analysts on average were expecting profit of $1.36 a share on sales of $677 million

Strauss Zelnick reportedly had to reassure investors that Sam Houser, president of Rockstar, will stay with the company, after news broke out that his brother and R* VP and creative head, is leaving the company after March:

I guess GTA6's announcement should take place sooner rather than later at this point..

shinobi602

Verified
Oct 24, 2017
With a bit of insecurity floating about now and history (GTA V was announced the following year after RDR launched), I suspect we'll probably hear about GTA VI in the near future.

Poimandres

Oct 26, 2017
There was a lot of smoke floating around Bully 2 right? I thought we'd get that before GTAVI

Vico

Jan 3, 2018
There was a lot of smoke floating around Bully 2 right? I thought we'd get that before GTAVI

I think some of these rumours were dismissed. Then again, an announcement soon and a release the same year is entirely possible, since Bully 2 would be a much-smaller-scale game than GTA and RDR.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Knives are out at Houser family Christmas this year I suspect.

May 10, 2019
The Houser Brothers you say...

giphy.gif

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
Wouldn't the game be a year into serious development at this point.
You think they just started development last year?
GTA V started full production in 2010 after a two year pre-production period where Rockstar tried to figure out the scope of the game's open world. GTA Online and RD Online kinda changes the whole R* development timeframe as a good chunk of R* devs around the world have been working on keeping them updated with content for years now and the horror stories that came out in 2018 gave us the idea that a lot of time is dedicated in this department.

This is just me taking a shot in the dark looking at Rockstar and especially Rockstar North historically but preliminary work and planning on GTA VI probably took place following GTA V's launch (so in 2013, which is when voice recording and performance capture sessions for RDR2 started taking place) with Dan Houser helming it just like with RDR back in 2010. If not in 2013 then certainly after the next-gen version of GTA V was released so 2014.

Rockstar Studios (the combined power of all of Rockstar's subsidiaries) was used to facilitate the development of both RDR2 and GTA V after the launch of RDR. GTA V's next-gen port gave them a better idea of how to work with the Xbox One/PS4 and RDR2 continued development with work on GTA VI still preliminary. Developing RDR2, GTA Online and GTA VI at once is just too unreasonable to expect for any developer, even Rockstar. GTA V is still selling after all.

The small creative team working behind-the-scenes on GTA VI while RDR2 is in development probably came up with a rough outline for the game's story around 2014-15, extensive research is conducted in the real-world equivalent of the city the game is going to be set in. Skip a few years, maybe 2017, a casting call is sent out, Rockstar find their actors, some work begins on their end. Rockstar are familiar with the hardware by this point, maybe we get a basic greybox city just like with GTA V.

LXnf13o.png

RhbAtAw.png

Skip a year to 2018 when Rockstar are wrapping up work on the base game for RDR2, the core Rockstar North team start to move onto GTA VI while studios like Rockstar Leeds and others work on maintaining GTA Online and RD Online.

The big thing that makes this hard is that when it came to moving from GTA IV to GTA V, there was no need to allocate resources to continuously update an online mode, but now Rockstar have two of these that are still receving excellent support to this day. It makes you wonder how this has affected GTA VI's development.

Obviously this is all just speculation going off of Rockstar's history and how development of GTA V was handled. At the end of the day, we don't know jack shit about how Rockstar operate so none of this really means anything. I'm not really expecting anything out of them for a good while though.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
I think GTA Online might a bit of a monkey paw. Sure they making money hand over fist but that isn't going to last forever and they haven't really shown anything to follow it up. RDO is a bit of a dud