• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
Not surprising given Take Two's vision for AAA gaming outside of Rockstar. Hopefully the Housers politely told them to fuck off. Copy & Pasted GTA/RDR games being pumped out every year or two would be the darkest timeline.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
seems like rockstar should have most of the leverage in this, considering their games sell insanely well

all they'd have to say is "do you want us to make 2 fifteen-million sellers in 6 years, or 1 one-hundred-million seller in the same time?"

Jiraiya

Oct 27, 2017
Then I will have to disagree. Re-releases and ports are re-releases and ports. I'd love to say Shenmue 2 is the game of the generation but that's silly.

They didn't say that. They said they got it on pc. They intentionally didn't get it on the 360 because of that. Instead...they got the gta that released on this generation of consoles because that's the version that released on pc.

If you love shenmue and you think that....then it is what it is.

flaxknuckles

Oct 25, 2017
seems like rockstar should have most of the leverage in this, considering their games sell insanely well

all they'd have to say is "do you want us to make 2 fifteen-million sellers in 6 years, or 1 one-hundred-million seller in the same time?"
And then Take Two could point out that GTA V is the only game they've made that sold anywhere near 100 million copies and they are now taking a lot more than 6 years to make each one.

Oct 25, 2017
Milwaukee, WI
They didn't say that. They said they got it on pc. They intentionally didn't get it on the 360 because of that. Instead...they got the gta that released on this generation of consoles because that's the version that released on pc.

If you love shenmue and you think that....then it is what it is.

Well I guess we'll just have to let the other person speak for themselves.

Cipherr

Oct 26, 2017
Not one after the other. You burn out and end up with cookie cutter games. Same for anything.

One massive A class project, then switch off till the next one.

What on earth are you talking about? Of course you can.... Studios do it today, and older gens were literally full of studios doing exactly that. Stop the lies! Masterpieces come in all sizes!

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017
I'm fine with this. Instead of making a bunch of crap to monetize for their online stuff, let's put those resources back into making more games.

Like it used to be.

Calverz

Oct 28, 2017
I would like to see more games from them. Last game i enjoyed was GTAV which came out like 8 years ago now.

I dont care for red dead. Forced myself to finish the original.

Midnight club anyone?

Yogi

Banned
Nov 10, 2019
What on earth are you talking about? Of course you can.... Studios do it today, and older gens were literally full of studios doing exactly that. Stop the lies!

Bigger and betters takes time. Time allows them to experiment with new ideas properly, time to implement grand, complex systems, etc. Time for a break.
How many of those games from those studios you mention would not have benefited from further improvements that distinguish themselves from their previous games and other games on the market? They all would have. Rockstar sets the standards with their open world games. They are a good bet. If it takes them that long to do it, keep doing it.

The next-gen CPUs just got a lot better. That could mean a lot for GTAVI.

Take-Two sounds like it's willing to risk compromising the quality of it. Maybe it's such an easy sell they're not worried about improvements. But as I said, bigger and better takes time - and a sizeable effort.

Smaller projects can't take any priority. They've maintained their reputation until now. Leave it to them.

Last edited:

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
Not surprising given Take Two's vision for AAA gaming outside of Rockstar. Hopefully the Housers politely told them to fuck off. Copy & Pasted GTA/RDR games being pumped out every year or two would be the darkest timeline.

Exactly. They can't be so stupid to not realize that the time between Rockstar's giant games is the reason WHY they come out as great as they do, WHY every launch feels like such an event, and WHY they, and only they, are able to knock Call of Duty off that top spot each year they release.

Also you better believe GTAO doesn't find the same success if they're pumping out a merely average GTA every 2 or 3 years. The only reason that shit is the grand slam success it is is because of the masterful single player, and Strauss Zelnick has even said as much on the record.

bomma man

Oct 25, 2017
RDR2 without the insane level of detail that its budget and development time afforded it would be a bad game.

LabRat

Mar 16, 2018
i always thought the housers are mega powerful and they can just tell take two to fuck off. i mean they made take two billions, isn't that enough to just let rockstar do their thing?

Cipherr

Oct 26, 2017
Bigger and betters takes time. Time allows them to experiment with new ideas properly, time to implement grand, complex systems, etc. Time for a break.
How many of those games from those studios you mention would not have benefited from further improvements that distinguish themselves from their previous games and other games on the market? They all would have. Rockstar sets the standards with their open world games. They are a good bet. If it takes them that long to do it, keep doing it.

The next-gen CPUs just got a lot better. That could mean a lot for GTAVI.

Take-Two sounds like it's willing to risk compromising the quality of it. Maybe it's such an easy sell they're not worried about improvements. But as I said, bigger and better takes time - and a sizeable effort.

Nah, you sound like you conflate bigger with better as if they are the same thing. They aren't. Bigger does not naturally indicate better at all. I've played more games than I can count that are better that GTAV and none of them are as large. And your argument is useless because as presented it argues for 15 or even 20 year development times with zero cap under the broken ideal that "more time for more shine is always better!". That's not how it works. Diminishing returns is a thing. And Bigger aint always Better.

Take Two may be suggesting this for selfish reasons, but it doesn't mean that you cannot make smaller scale games more frequently and have them be better games. Thats crazy talk.

Yogi

Banned
Nov 10, 2019
Nah, you sound like you conflate bigger with better as if they are the same thing. They aren't. Bigger does not naturally indicate better at all. I've played more games than I can count that are better that GTAV and none of them are as large. And your argument is useless because as presented it argues for 15 or even 20 year development times with zero cap under the broken ideal that "more time for more shine is always better!". That's not how it works. Diminishing returns is a thing. And Bigger aint always Better.

Take Two may be suggesting this for selfish reasons, but it doesn't mean that you cannot make smaller scale games more frequently and have them be better games. Thats crazy talk.

You didn't give any of those as examples. When I say bigger I don't just mean in size, but in scope and ambition. The sorts of mechanics they could add with that new power, I can't begin to imagine.

But some people want to limit some of the best games.

There are smaller games that are masterpieces. I bet they took a lot of time too. Spelunky for one. ;)

Give Rockstar a blank cheque for GTAVI.

Last edited:

WonderBoyd89

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Let them take however long it takes to make outstanding games. No need to push for an accelerated schedule at the expense of quality. I hope the Housers have told Zelnick to back off.

grand

Oct 25, 2017
Considering how much GTA Online continues to make, there's no way that's gonna happen

Zips

Oct 25, 2017
Is Take-Two's idea that more Rockstar games means more simultaneous sources for microtransaction cash flows?

Somehow having GTAV be in the top sellers for LITERALLY MULTIPLE YEARS just isn't enough for them.

So just pump some half-baked shit out and they expect consumers to constantly fork over cash over and over again? Because more games is just going to spread Rockstar even more thin across these multiple projects. The content won't come anywhere near as steadily as it has been, a big reason why Rockstar's titles (especially GTA5/GTAO) are always seen in top selling lists.

This is just... all sorts of asinine.

CelticKennedy

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Sep 18, 2019
Take Two needs to look at what Disney did with Star Wars. You just can't turn stuff out year after year. It ends up killing the "mojo" if you will. It's partly why their stuff is so special. It's an event.

Be happy with what you got Take Two. You greedy bastards.

Doctre81

Oct 26, 2017
These publishers have obviously been getting so big and bloated over the years that the need to churn out more games to keep their doors open probably. I started thinking that maybe these CEO's and upper management girls and guys need to take a pay cut Iwata style, but then I saw Take 2's CEO makes just 109K. Someone with more knowledge - how can this be?
That's just salary. They more than likely make their money from stock ownership worth millions a year

fireflame

Oct 27, 2017
Well it is 2020 and there isn't even a gta 6. GTA 4 was released in 2008. Which means 7 years have passed and GTA 6 isnt out, while ony 5 years were needed for 5.

CelticKennedy

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Sep 18, 2019
I think there is a middelground somewhere between releasing one game every year and releasing one game a generation.
Technically, Yes. If you don't count the new versions of GTA V. But It's not like they released one game and are just working on another game that will be out in 5-7 years. They have been supporting the hell out of GTA Online and Red Dead Online with great updates while they work on other projects.

DeoGame

Dec 11, 2018
On the one hand, this is bad for scope and crunch.

On the other hand, while I truly admire how Rockstar raises the bar, it's excessive, and could stand to be reigned in.

McScroggz

The Fallen
Jan 11, 2018
I don't want developers to experience even more crunch. That being said it does seem odd that they produced one new game an entire console generation. It seems like they should be able to make two full games in one generation, but we will see with the PS5.

Derktron

Banned
Jun 6, 2019
Good, don't understand why they have to take decades to release their games. I know I sound stupid but that's how I feel about it.

Oct 26, 2017
United Kingdom
For a worldwide network of studios with over 2000 developers there is probably a middle ground between releasing a game every year, and releasing a game every 5 that Rockstar could meet.

This.

I know gaming web forums like to perpetuate this idea that every publisher is a big evil corporation, but I very much see where T2 is coming from here.

I definitely, don't think they are trying to push Rockstar back towards an even more toxic crunch culture. I think if anything, they are highlighting the need for change at the management level to ensure they are properly utilising their existing resources without overburdening and overworking the staff at each studio.