• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Akai

Oct 25, 2017
From Business Wire:

"Take-Two Interactive Software, Inc. and its wholly-owned label, 2K, today announced that video game industry veteran Michael Condrey has joined the Company as President of the label's new game development studio based in Silicon Valley."

"Condrey brings more than 20 years of creative, production and development leadership experience to 2K. His industry acumen played an integral role in bolstering one of interactive entertainment's most distinguished franchises of all time – Call of Duty – including the development of the award-winning, first-person shooter titles Call of Duty: WWII (2017), Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare (2014) and Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 (2011). Condrey also led creation of the third-person, survival-horror shooter Dead Space (2008), which earned Action Game of the Year honors at the Academy of Interactive Arts & Sciences' Interactive Achievement Awards, as well as guided the James Bond 007 franchise to critical and commercial success."

"Condrey and his future team will have the creative freedom to develop the studio's vision and long-term projects while having access to a global network of proven industry leaders and resources across 2K's studios."

TLDR:

---

Considering that Michael Condrey was the Chief Operating Officer and Director for Dead Space, I'm kinda interested in what they are making. What about you?

Update 1:

Is this really a brand new studio? Or is it the top-secret studio in Novato, CA, code-named Parkside, that's been working on BioShock for over a year?

Update 2:

A 2K rep tells me that this studio is not in Novato!
It means either Parkside is moving or this is completely new. The latter seems likely.

Last edited:

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
You have my interest.... Dead Space was amazing and Advanced Warfare was the most slept on Call of Duty ever.

Edit:
We'll know something is super up if Glen Schofield jumps ship and joins up, but that seems unlikely.

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States
In addition to Dead Space, he also directed the Uncharted 2 of James Bond games: Everything or Nothing

That game is so good and so largely overlooked. He spent a long time working on Call of Duty after that but it's very exciting to think the director of Everything or Nothing and Dead Space is heading a new studio. Hopefully we get a really really awesome TPS out of this.

Rodjer

Self-requested ban.
Jan 28, 2018
Under 2K or Private Division label?

nvm

Silcon Valley uh
Pretty expensive place

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
An action/adventure or horror game would go over really fucking well. Poor guy got chewed up and spat out by the COD cycle, I'm excited to see what's next for him.

Deleted member 41931

User requested account closure
Apr 10, 2018
It would weird, but good, if Take 2 picks up EAs slack when it comes to AAA singlecplayer games(not this will necessarily be one).

jschreier

Press Sneak Fuck
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Is this really a brand new studio? Or is it the top-secret studio in Novato, CA, code-named Parkside, that's been working on BioShock for over a year?

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
I'd be pretty disappointed if that was the case. Never understood the hype over BioShock, outside the first game maybe. Would love to see another TPS horror game that's got some awesome design like Dead Space

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
giphy-downsized-large.gif

Adamska

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
In addition to Dead Space, he also directed the Uncharted 2 of James Bond games: Everything or Nothing

That game is so good and so largely overlooked. He spent a long time working on Call of Duty after that but it's very exciting to think the director of Everything or Nothing and Dead Space is heading a new studio. Hopefully we get a really really awesome TPS out of this.
EoN is by far the best Bond game ever made. Dead Space is amazing, too. Looking forward for whatever they're making.

TheRaidenPT

Editor-in-Chief, Hyped Pixels
Verified
Jun 11, 2018
Lisbon, Portugal
I'm curious to see if they gonna work on a new single player franchise or if their focus is gonna be MP games

Either way this is a curious team backed by Take-Two

Strafer

The Flagpole is Wider
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
DEAD SPACE 4 HERE WE COME!!!

LET'S FUCKING GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

MAKE UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUSSSS WHOLE!!!!!

Dr. Caroll

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'd be pretty disappointed if that was the case. Never understood the hype over BioShock, outside the first game maybe. Would love to see another TPS horror game that's got some awesome design like Dead Space
Dead Space began development as System Shock 3. (I personally think System Shock 2 is better than Dead Space at least in terms of atmosphere, writing, and immersion but opinions, opinions.)

Kerotan

Banned
Oct 31, 2018
Between this and the new Sony studio it's always good to see the creation of new AAA studios, especially with so many being shut these days
Please stop opening studios in cities with insanely high costs of living.
Yeah why not open up in countries like Poland where expenses are much cheaper?

Rodjer

Self-requested ban.
Jan 28, 2018
Please stop opening studios in cities with insanely high costs of living.

I agree with you, but pretty much every publisher has at least one AAA studio in a big city with insanely high cost of living and this might help attract talent.

Yeah why not open up in countries like Poland where expenses are much cheaper?

You won't find talent and hire people when the average income is really low for AAA games.
East Europe is mostly used by big publishers, see Ubisoft, for outsourcing and porting (Ubisoft has in-house studios located across east europe)

Poland is already stacked with Infinity Ward, CDPR, Techland, 11bit studio, Flying Wild Hog, The Astronauts, People Can Fly, The Farm51, CI Games.

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA

Has Condrey been there the whole time? Because after Condrey and Schofield were "promoted" we didn't hear much about them, until Schofield left just recently and Condrey was announced as the head of this "new" studio.